[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Computer Engineering major >at my future school CS and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1440016017440.gif (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440016017440.gif
1 MB, 1280x1024
>Computer Engineering major
>at my future school CS and CE majors get the same intro to CS/CE class
>it's fucking Java
>I am a Computer Engineering student and my first school taught language will be Java
Thank god I already learning C but how fucked am I? Is my school complete shit?
>>
>>55466067
>Is my school complete shit?

Yep.
>>
>>55466067
No you're not. My school is the same. 1st intro class was Java. Everything afterwards is C and other OS languages.

It's kinda like the norm i think.

GL OP
>>
>>55466304
Thank you anon.
>>
>>55466067
what is a shit is using the cmd window as terminal emulator, you should really kill your self just after raping your dog and killing your mom.
>>
CE major here, going into senior year. My "intro" CSE course was in Scheme. The other section used MATLAB. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter; you'll learn necessary languages in later courses.
>>
>>55466067
This is a dumb question but why is JAVA bad as a first language ?
>>
CS major here, about to graduate.

Our first programming class they had all the engineering (ME, CivE and CompE) take an introductory programming with CS. It was in C. After that it was Java for OOP but then the remainder of the classes (Compilers, OS, Systems Software) were all C/C++ except for our senior project, which we could use any language we wanted (my group used Java, I just did the SQL stuff)

I personally used C for almsot every class and I'm glad I did, but holy fuck some of the later classes were frustrating because sometimes certain imported headers would overwrite certain behavior of functions (expected) so if you forgot to include a certain header (for example semaphore control in OS) you wouldn't get a compilation error but just bizarre behavior which made debugging hard until your classmate said "did you include xxx.h?"

all in all good luck, feel lucky that most of your shit will be in Java because that's what employers will look for...Luckily I was studying C# in my spare time which got me my job starting in 3 weeks. They could give 2 shits about C.
>>
>>55466471
>you should really kill your self just after raping your dog and killing your mom
>>>/b/

>>55466540
It seems that my school puts most of it's resources into CS. The CS majors have the chance to get their masters in 5 years while us CE majors don't have that option and at the school's engineering openhouse pretty much all they did was talk about CS.

>>55466594
I don't think Java is a bad language or a bad first language but I think it's pretty inappropriate for CE major since the course focuses on OOP. I want to do low level stuff (driver and/or firmware development) which is why I chose to major in CE and not CS.

>>55466609
Everything after the introductory course is in C or some variation of assembly.
>>
>>55466594
It's not so much that Java is a "bad" language, but programming is less about the language and more about problem solving. When learning to program, having to start at a lower level language like C is useful because it forces you to think about how to solve every part of the system.

For example if you were writing a command line application to read input for something (we will just create a random input for the sake of discussion) or a CLI for a program that takes inputs

if the user types in:

$> COMMAND

but the command is actually
command in java you can just use a lowercase function on the input. this will turn COMMAND into command and you didn't even really think about what you just did. Programming that in C is a lot harder because now YOU have to program the lowercase function, and coming up with an elegant and efficient solution will make your algorithm faster and your program better.

so basically by learning C you learn to solve problems. by learning to solve problems you become a better programmer.
>>
>>55466660
>>55466067
thanks a lot for your answers , really well explained .
>>
File: 1466541375173.jpg (127 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
1466541375173.jpg
127 KB, 800x449
>>55466594
it's not

/g/ is full of butthurt NEETS who program sex simulators in Haskell. Java is widely used in industry as well as 90% of uni's intro CS courses. is it a perfect language? God no, but for an entry level programmer it abstracts away many features of programming (ie. memory management) not useful to a beginning programmer as well as the average engineer, and teaches OOP principles.
>>
I don't know why everyone focuses so much on languages here. Once you know how to program (in any language) its really trivial to pick up another. Just because there is a course to teach you Java (or C or whatever your first language is) doesnt mean that learning another requires another course.

All it takes to learn another language is to read about it. Read what is special about that language, the coding styles associated with the language, its strengths, limitations, and general use cases. Then write a couple of stupid projects. You can easily pick up a new language in a weekend
>>
>>55466802
I am a noob myself but I just thought that it would be more typical for a CE major to learn C first since it is a low level language. I will admit that as a newbie memory management can sometimes be a little confusing for me so I understand why they start with Java but at the same time engineering majors aren't supposed to be a walk in the park.
>>
>>55466802
Yeah, it really comes across as neurotic, the way people get with languages. I will concede that it is easier to pick up a higher level language if you already know a fairly low level language (e.g. C), but doing the reverse really isn't the end of the world.
>>
>>55466594

Java gives a brand-new programmer numerous opportunities to shoot themselves in the foot. One thing i've seen a lot is an object that is normally thought of as being a value (like a vector) being passed to a function, then being unintentionally modified in that function, as opposed to working with a copy, which would be the case if a value and not an object were passed. The explicit nature of pointers/references in low level languages makes this mistake harder to make. Occasionally someone in my high school java class wouldn't know that creating another reference to an object did not create a copy of it, another point that would be very difficult to miss if it weren't so easy to overlook, but more often just bad teaching.

None of this behavior is particularly baffling to someone who already knows a lower level language or was taught how to use a high level language responsibly. To its credit, Java is strongly typed. A lot of the Java meme has to do with it being chosen as an "easy" language and then taught lazily, i didn't get a single explanation of what garbage collection was in either of my first two classes.

also java isn't an acronym, please credit me 10 autismoPoints©
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.