[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Workstations are extinct. Desktops are next.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 18
File: Desktop IV.jpg (54 KB, 875x654) Image search: [Google]
Desktop IV.jpg
54 KB, 875x654
Workstations went extinct 10 years ago because commodity hardware got good enough to erase the distinction between a good desktop computer and a workstation. The same thing is happening now with smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. Thanks to ARM chips and SaaS, a piece of shit smartphone, tablet, or Chromebook can give you 90% of the functionality of a low end desktop computer. In 10 years, they will get that last 10% of functionality and the last people using anything resembling desktops will be people doing massively parallel calculations on mini-GPU farms that require a wall plugin.
>>
>>54163460
Or gamers.
Smartphones and other mobile platforms are garbage compared to a desktop with a decent GPU. Not only by just graphical power, touch screens aren't as good as keyboard and mouse, controllers, joysticks, racing wheels, etc.
>>
>>54163519
Mobile gamers outnumber desktop gamers by a huge margin, and mobile discrete GPUs are only going to get better.

Only basement dwelling virgins want a 4k 60fps 144Hz experience to escape their McJob and tendies. Everyone else just wants to have fun playing angry birds.

Faggot gamergaters aren't enough to sustain Intel, hence the layoffs.
>>
The desktop as a form factor is not going away. It is a logical design that will always be ahead of the power curve. People will always want more power, so people will always have desktops.

But yes, there will be much fewer of them.
>>
>>54164688
Well that would suck since prices will hike up if there is not enough supply.
>>
>>54163582
And yet PC gaming is still a big market.
>>
*cough* heat dissipation.
>>
>>54163582
Intel is laying off because they raised the CPU ceiling nearly as much as Nvidia and AMD have with GPUs. Anyone with a Sandy Bridge or better doesn't need to upgrade so you end up with a bunch of gamers that were on old tech upgrading to Sandy/Ivy/Haswell and stopped giving fucks while buying the newest Nvidia / AMD GPU every couple of years to keep up with the sudden increases in power. An i5-2500k with a 970 can run todays games FAR better than a i7-6700k with a GTX 570 [in other words old cpu with new gpu is ok, new cpu with old gpu is dicks]. That shows you how fucked intel is.
>>
>>54167683
>Intel is laying off because they raised the CPU ceiling nearly as much
meant
>Intel is laying off because they HAVE NOT raised the CPU ceiling nearly as much
sorry. Intel still shot themselves in the foot for slacking off.
>>
>>54163460
you tell that to film makers and the professional industry the stock market and the business sector and the developers
good luck with that
>>
>>54163460
I seriously rather kill myself than adapt to these new shitty technology
>>
Fuck the cloud. GNU for life.
>>
File: dreamworks-18-lighting.jpg (154 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
dreamworks-18-lighting.jpg
154 KB, 1000x666
>>54163460
Yeah man the next Pixar and Dreamworks movies are gonna be rendered on iPads trust me I'm an industry expert who can predict tech future and my dad works at Disney
>>
desktops will never be replaced.

I cannot even imagine trying to do 3d modeling, high-end rendering, development, or anything of important on a fucking tablet or smartphone.

it's insanely stupid to even think about, and you're completely out of touch with reality for thinking this could happen.
>>
>>54167770
It's okay, OP is just a normie. He doesn't know any better.
>>
>>54163582
>Only basement dwelling virgins want a 4k 60fps 144Hz experience to escape their McJob and tendies.
So? It's a huge a market, worth Billions of dollars a year.

>Everyone else just wants to have fun playing angry birds.
Indeed, there is room for both as they are different markets.

>Faggot gamergaters aren't enough to sustain Intel, hence the layoffs.
Except most people are retarded and think the layoffs mean something, if everything you said was true, Intel wouldn't be laying off staff, they'd be hiring more to facilitate the migration to mobile.
The reality is, Intel is trimming out human fat - their Malaysian and Philippines packaging facilities are now almost 100% automated, McAfee is dead, soon their fabs will be automated, etc - lots of paid positions that no longer need to exist.

>mobile discrete GPUs are only going to get better.
Of course they are, so are desktop GPUs.

>Mobile gamers outnumber desktop gamers by a huge margin
Irrelevant, there is still Billions of dollars a year in PC gaming alone, again there is room for both as even though Mobile makes fat cash, it's saturated as fuck.
>>
Desktops aren't going anywhere until external GPus become more prominent. With thunderbolt 3 that may be closer to happening.
>>
Yes OP there will no longer be a need for good hardware...
>>
Anyone serious about doing anything with technology needs a desktop. You simply cannot get the performance from a laptop, and working from a mobile phone is retarded.

Gamers, devs, media producers, and even people in business always have and always will need food hardware.

The question really is whether Intel will lead the way into the next stage of technology, that is quantum computing. Perhaps the reason they are laying people off is to make room for a new sector of research?
>>
>>54167982
Good* hardware
>>
File: 003606078.jpg (53 KB, 730x479) Image search: [Google]
003606078.jpg
53 KB, 730x479
Actually OP has a point there.
It's a trend I've been noticing too.
I believe that we're going back to having workstations and there being an insane gap between consumer level tech and the professional stuff.

Just look at the SSD market.
Enterprise world already has 16TB SSDs in 2.5" form factor and we're still getting these 128GB to 1TB little shits.
Sizes that were already hit over 3 years ago.
Laptops are catching onto desktop performance very quickly and soon we won't even have things like mobile chips.
Due to the ever decreasing power consumption, soon there's only going to be one line of GPUs and you'll find them in both laptops and desktops.
CPUs have already been good enough in laptops for years already.
If Pascal has low enough power consumption, I'm certain that highest end laptops will have desktop GPUs in them.
Hell, they already experimented with this with the 900 series and it worked.
Desktop variant of Pascal will definitely be found in the high end gaming laptops.

So what sense does it make to buy a huge desktop, when you can get a laptop and max out everything on resolutions under 4k?
None. Only problem here is the price and even that has been coming down.
Give it few years and instead of buying prebuilds, parents are going to get laptops for their gaymer kids.

Only thing you'll need a desktop for, is CPU and GPU intensive work and this hardware is going to cost an arm and a leg.
>>
File: 1362977090633.jpg (219 KB, 800x619) Image search: [Google]
1362977090633.jpg
219 KB, 800x619
>>54167982
>always have and always will need food hardware
>>
>>54168046
On mobile. And I corrected myself. Fuck off nigger
>>
>>54168037
I'm waiting for that 32TB SSD. At least let me know it exists on the enterprise, so I can look forward to replacing my NAS with two of them in several years.
>>
>>54163582
>60fps 144hz

Opinion discarded, you know nothing about computers.
>>
>>54167699
>Intel still shot themselves in the foot for slacking off.
You can bet your ass that they have silicon's last stand already, it's just that they don't need to release it due to no competition. ARM isn't getting there anytime soon and we know shit about AMD's Zen.
>>
Desktops won't die for the simple reason that they will ALWAYS be a cheaper platform than anything mobile for anyone who wants to do actual computation locally.

What will happen is that mobile devices will increasingly become the integrated screen to one or more desktop-like computers in consumer homes.
>>
>>54168092

Well that 16TB SSD started shipping last month, so it's probably going to take at least till the end of this year before they double in size.
>>
>>54163460
Nigga please. I can definitely see the average normalfaggot going with a mobile device with a hub for peripherals replacing most if not all of their computers, but it's inane to think that >power users will settle for that. I can see ARM catching up to current desktop, but that is too far off. Crunching a Fury X and a 5960x's performance into such a small form factor ins't happening anytime soon.
>>
File: xpoint_2015-08-18-image-10.jpg (314 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
xpoint_2015-08-18-image-10.jpg
314 KB, 800x638
>>54168176
That's why I'm skeptical. It's a recent release, will they be able to reduce the cost that much by the end of the year? I'm not betting on it no matter how much meme 3D you can stack.

xPoint though, what the fuck is even happening with that? We aren't getting it this year aren't we?
>>
>>54168037
I'm still waiting for prices to drop in SSDs. Fucking 250gb vs 2TB HDD for the same price.
>>
>>54167753
And Pixar uses opterons in their render farms
>>
>mfw MBPr + external screen master race
Great desktop.
Great portability.
Just Werkz.
>>
>>54168212
They'll get there eventually. They're destined to beat HDDs at price to storage, but that's way too far off. That and I think Seagate are releasing huge capacity HDDs soon.
>>
>>54168242
>laptop
>master race
>rMBP anything master race
You got good trackpads, that's about it.
>>
>>54168211
They just announced enterprise drives a few days ago, faggot
>>
>>54168252
I hope you're right, but I'm not too optimistic about the price v. storage dropping any time soon.
>tfw bought two laptops within 2 years of one another for the same price
>HDD space has doubled in that time
>>
File: pidora.jpg (6 KB, 206x212) Image search: [Google]
pidora.jpg
6 KB, 206x212
>>54163460
nigga nobody uses desktops these days
it's all about laptops
dump your metallc box of useless shit out of your window
oh i forgot you live in your moms basement and have no windows
>>
>>54168046
>Imagine being at computers so fat you look and see food
>>
>>54168252
It will drop really soon. 3d nand let's your die yields increase massively, not to mention a few node shrinks
>>
>>54168273
What are you talking about? I know 16TB SSDs are shipping, I meant the 32TB ones. The last thing I saw from xPoint was another shitty conference showing how fast they can be. I'll go look more to see if I missed something.
>>
>>54168272
Show me a desktop system setup with as much power and quality as a MPBr that can also be put in a carry case and easily transported.

There are plenty of decent NUC's, sure, but they don't have hi dpi hi res screens.
>>
>>54168211

I'm a bit skeptical about that storage.
They demoed 2GB/s transfer speeds, but that's not exactly impressive, when current NVMe can pull off similar numbers.
I hope there was just some sort of a bottleneck in their test that killed the transfer speed.

>>54168212

Mushkin is bringing out a 500$ 4TB SSD during summer, so that should shake up the market a bit.
Hopefully that has the same effect as Crucial had with it's 500$ for 1TB drive couple of years ago and ends up dragging the prices down a lot.
>>
File: keG9LOG.jpg (174 KB, 851x1022) Image search: [Google]
keG9LOG.jpg
174 KB, 851x1022
>>54168300
>have no windows
>>
>>54168327
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/intel-announces-first-3d-nand-ssds-optimized-cloud-enterprise/
>>
>>54168212
>tfw I bought a one TB SSD for $400 two years ago
Mushkin has one for about $200 and sales can bring Samsung's SSDs close to that price as well.
>>
>>54168349
These are 3D nand SSDs. Exciting, but not xPoint.
>>
File: side-3_1280-b161eb300d.jpg (176 KB, 1280x1158) Image search: [Google]
side-3_1280-b161eb300d.jpg
176 KB, 1280x1158
>workstations are extinct
lolno
>>
>>54168211
Wait til kaby lake
>>
I think Steve Job's analogy of the situation is pretty good, and arguably already true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJ3QxJYsw8

I don't think PC sales will dip drastically from where they are today. The people buying PCs today will continue to buy them for the rest of their life.
>>
>>54168332
I have a sub $1000 desktop that kills your laptop in every single way except in power consumption and I guess looks since you're into that. I also have an UX305 I got for $550 with student discount. The latter does everything I need except game and render video. If I needed a portable and light machine, then I'd get their Zenbook with a discrete Nvidia GPU and call it a day. It's nice to have a powerful laptop, but to call it the best option is nuts.
>>
File: tank.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1280
>>54168390
>picture of a useless box
what the fuck does that prove?
tanks are still being produced and reinvented, yet nobody really uses them
now connect your sli beast to your asshole, faggot
>>
>>54168361
I get that, but for $200 I can get double the space, and since I'd mainly be using it at home the load times don't bother me. (I'd rather disable startup shit anyway)

Besides, I'm a cheap jew so I'm looking for whatever stores more Chinese Girl Cartoons for the cheapest price.
>>
>>54168390
>GTX
>workstation
Yeah no.
>>
>>54168483
You autistic or retarded?
>>
>>54168349
Here's something more interesting:
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-shows-off-512gb-optane-drive-with-3d-xpoint-memory-that-fits-in-ddr4-slot_176826
>>
>>54168433

They will buy them, but at a slower and slower rate.
After Sandy Bridge, many people who could be considered enthusiasts, stopped upgrading their CPUs.
Of course many have upgraded, but during these last 5 years, the sales have steadily been tanking.
They got a 30% improvement to Sandy Bridge with Skylake. That's nothing.
If nothing dramatic happens in the future, then there's not going to be a reason for anyone to upgrade during the next 10 years if they buy a Skylake now.

The sales are going to continue on tanking, because there simply isn't need to buy new CPUs.
>>
>>54168504
moar options please
dont fit in those
>>
>>54168519
30% is a significant amount unless all you do is gaymen, even if that's the case, emulation gets a nice boost over a 30%. Also, I believe Skylake is a 20% increase over Sandy, still pretty good, but disheartening that years have passed.
>>
>>54168519
The market is just saturated, of course sales will slow.

The real growth is coming from portables such as phones and tablets.

That 3rd wold nigger has no use for a desktop PC, he doesn't have reliable power much less wired internet.
Instead he wants a smartphone (or tablet) that connects to the cell network, it is compact and lasts a long time, this is much more useful to him than a desktop PC
>>
>>54167770
So, i was doing an intership in a major comercial bank. and they were getting rid of desktops. They were even getting rid of excel, and asking people to do most of their shit in google drive... which is not possible if you have to deal with a serious amount of linked spreadsheets, or not using spreadsheets and doing most of your stuff in R, as we were doing in the department i was.

My guess is: management likes tablets cause are cheap, then they will outsource computational resources. So you will have your 3d modeling frontend in your shitty tablet, and buy computing power from google to actually do the rendering or other computation intensive work.
>>
>>54168645
>buy computing power from google to actually do the rendering or other computation intensive work.
Sounds nice until you do the cost vs. time analysis of doing computationally expensive work over the internet.
>>
>>54168645
>major commercial bank
>they were getting rid of desktops
What the fuck man, I would leave. I hate working on a Windows machine already, I would hate to move to a mobile device, what the actual fuck are they thinking?
>>
>>54168721
you are probably unemployed faggot
>>
>>54168568
30% is not worth an upgrade of your mobo+CPU+RAM even for a serious 'gamer'. Such upgrade is justified only in business and production.

If Intel wants to sell more CPUs, they need to open their warchest and start churning out worthwhile products. At the moment we are in weird spot - VR and 4K is already here, but the power to drive them is not at a mainstream pricepoint yet. However even 4-5 years old hardware is good enough to drive 1080p@60fps and thats plenty of quality for the mainstream consumer.

I have 2500k@4,5GHz and GTX680. I originally thought that this will last me some good 5 years. Now I'm pretty sure I won't upgrade until I can get 4K@+90fps (for VR) from a $1000-$1500 PC.
>>
>>54168785
Nah man, I just hate R and Excel. It's what I guess codemonkeys feel like since it practically is being a codemonkey.

Punctuate your shit if you want a serious reply, you insufferable faggot.
>>
>>54168721
they were moving to ultrabooks and tablets.
but yeah, the whole IT thing was a fucking joke.
As said, i was mainly using R, and the IT people thought i had pirated R, cause otherwise i would have not been able to install a copy. I spent half an hour trying to explain to the guy that you didnt really need a license to use R... The IT guy never understood that, and actually got me a license for R. How? I dont know.

Major comercial bank, with sensitive customer data. On my first day, my boss taught me how to use hiren's boot so i could get admin privileges on my computer. He said otherwise by the time the IT people came and install whatever software i needed, my contract would have ended. and its true, they actually came to install shit i wanted a week before i left.

And yeah, they were asking to put customer data on google drive, rather than have the data on a local excel spreadsheet.
>>
>>54168869
>And yeah, they were asking to put customer data on google drive, rather than have the data on a local excel spreadsheet.
It's amazing how society keeps functioning with millions of people making decisions like this, isn't it?
>>
>>54168512
That's why I think they are waiting for kaby lake. The mobos will be compatible that way. Gives you a reason to upgrade, competition vs. Zen etc. I can't believe that would be the only interface used. But that's all they showed us so... It also allows them to get as close to the CPU possible with that interface .
>>
>>54168869
mOst cOmpAnIEs jUst dOnt wAnt tO mEss wIth dEsktOp sUppOrt And mAnAgE LOts Of LIcEnsEs fOr dIffErEnt prOdUcts thEy prEfEr tO pAy An ExtErnAL cOmpAny tO dO It
UnLEss yOU wOrk In A cOmpAny whIch vALUEs yOUr brAIns And LEts yOU chOOsE yUr wOrkspAcE yOULL gEt A gAy LAptOp Or tAbLEt
>>
>>54168930
>>54168861
wrong reply
me fagz
>>
>>54168889
yeah. One of the things that surprised me the most when i have spent time in the corporate world is how amateurish everything feels.

I did another internship in the HR department on a major energy company in the spanish speaking world. i got to see the wages and expenses. everything seem so amateurly done, i was so embarassed of working there.
>>
>>54168855

>the power to drive them is not at a mainstream pricepoint yet.

I wonder what's going to happen with this, it's very interesting subject.

Anyone pushing VR or 4K is going to need tons of processing power and is going to need it cheap as fuck, in order to be able to sell it for the masses.
If VR and 4K was some small niche market, it wouldn't be such a difficult situation, but 4K and especially VR is being marketed like crazy for everyone.
None of the normal consumers are suddenly going to drop +1k to this stuff, in order to get it running properly.
It's almost an impossible situation for the marketers.
>>
>>54167683
This is true. I own an i5-2500k with a gtx670 and can play anything i want very smoothly. Haven't had to upgrade anything for several years...

software/games just don't require as much horsepower as these high-end (or even mid-grade) CPU/GPUs offer.
>>
>>54169014
>gtx670
That's bullshit and you know it. I had a 670 and it struggled maxing some titles at 1080p.
>>
>>54168973
I still hope that these 5% yearly increments we've seen from Intel since Sandy were due to AMD not being competitive and that they have ton of new tech locked in their safe.

Now they have to team up with VR and 4K manufacturers and push for the new gimmick. They have mutual interests in this.
>>
>>54163460
Workstations never went extinct, pretty much any OEM worth a shit offers at least an entry-level workstation system.

Oddballs like "pure" RISC and Itanium workstations however, did vanish as the dotcom boom and the greater baseline power of PC compatibles whittled away at them and their vendors. Though POWER (of all things) is trying to come back to the workstation sector, it's for an incredibly niche job and won't last for long.

>Thanks to ARM chips and SaaS, a piece of shit smartphone, tablet, or Chromebook can give you 90% of the functionality of a low end desktop computer.
Not really, smartphones, tablets, and chromebooks are by design trash for anything but fucking around and mindless media consumption thanks to either shit software compatibility (chromebooks) or shit touch-centric interfaces (smartphones and tablets), and are by no means a large enough market to kill conventional PCs anyway. Aside from that, nobody really cares about the low-end, where catering to the lowest common denominator comes with the lowest profit margins.

And shit, good luck getting *everyone* to pay for SaaS for damn near everything on top of already expensive internet and mobile plans. Normalfags who just want to get online will buy a used C2D off of craigslist and load an old copy of Office or whatever else on it, they don't give a fuck about how hip their trivial toys are.

>>54163519
PC gamers are such an irrelevant market on the hardware front that it's not even funny, and most of the shit you fags do is so basic anyway that as >>54163582 said GPU advancements in the mobile arena will more than likely wipe most of you shitters out anyway except ultra-placebo addicts who can't enjoy a game unless it's getting 120 FPS at 8K on maximum settings.
>>
>>54163460
>Workstations went extinct 10 years ago
Are you stupid or neet?
>>
>>54163460
workstations still exist though

the average home PC doesn't have a high clocked i7 or even dual CPUs and 64 GB of RAM and a workstation GPU...
>>
>>54169564
gaming has been the primary factor driving hardware advancements for the past 35 years or so. the amount of gaming products attests to this.
>>
>>54169937
No, not really. Other than technology companies doing what any other company does and, y'know, improving ther shit to convince you to upgrade, there are far more uses for 3D graphics technology beyond wasting time.

The gamer market is also primarily composed of low-end buyers and other cheap customers which, as stated, make nobody any real money anyway.

>the amount of gaming products attests to this
Which isn't really a significant amount compared to the thousands of companies competing in the enterprise market, and regardless of that, niche markets are not unprofitable, as history shows us.
>>
>>54169937
Nigga you're delusional.
>>
>>54163460

Workstations are still alive and well, the Dell Latitude line is a staple in offices world-wide.
>>
File: 1460879213533.jpg (420 KB, 2207x2496) Image search: [Google]
1460879213533.jpg
420 KB, 2207x2496
>>54169937
>gaming has been the primary factor driving hardware advancements for the past 35 years
fucking lol
gamertards (and consumers in general) have been wallowing in the leftovers of the enterprise/scientific market since the beginning of electronic entertainment, really the only advancement gaming drives is cost-reduction in the low end
>>
>>54163519
>gamers
Back to /v/
>>
>>54168483
those aren't in sli
>>
PC MASTER RACE
>>
>>54170053
yup, excel spreadsheets are why GDDR5X and HBM2 are being developed. get a clue kiddo.
>>
>>54170340
ya that's why everyone has a sun box in their house along with SCSI drives.
>>
>>54170340
>opencl
>async
>enterprise leftovers

they made a supercomputer out of PS3s
>>
>>54170398
>implying it's games pushing the change and not workstations handling resource heavy simulations and rendering machines in top animating studios
Yeah man, we totally need new memory technology for those extra frames. Come on, man.
>>
ITT People on a technology board trying to convince themselves that people dont need better technology.
>>
>>54163582
>Only basement dwelling virgins want a 4k 60fps 144Hz experience to escape their McJob and tendies. Everyone else just wants to have fun playing angry birds.

t. Grrrl Gamers
>>
>>54170398
>what is data visualization
>what is simulation
>what is CAD
>what are film production and special effects
>what are supercomputing and HPC in general

not every form of professional computer usage is basic 2D office work

>>54170438
what the fuck does this have to do with anything?

>>54170460
what the fuck does any of this have to do with gamertards "driving hardware advancement", and why do you think any of these are really some incredibly new idea originated solely by that market sector

>they made a supercomputer out of PS3s
who cares? what point does this convey? that someone deemed one of the few affordable commercial implementations of the cell broadband engine was suitable for their particular use case? good for them, nowhere did I imply that gaming-directed hardware was absolute unredeemable shit, only that it isn't the bleeding edge, which it isn't by a long shot
>>
>>54166842
>still big
Big and growing with every day. This thread is shit.

>>54163460
Your thread is shit. All evidence points against what you think the future will be.
>>
>>54163519
>implying
>>
>>54168037
Hard drives are kill
Cool
>>
>>54168037
>Due to the ever decreasing power consumption
Why do people perpetuate this myth?
While we are lowering from a peak we experienced during the NetBurst era, overall power consumption has only increased, not lowered.

A high-end x86 chip like the Pentium Pro 20 years ago could be passively cooled by a pretty damn tiny sink and only ate about 35 watts at maximum load, and those were CRITICIZED a for being such power hogs, whereas a modern not even top-end Skylake chip can eat anywhere from 80-90W under load, and probably averages at around 40-50 when running anything more intense than a web browser with a couple tabs.

It's more correct to say efficiency has gone up, and I will concede that a recent focus on that will likely see power consumption to continue to go down, but I doubt it will ever approach those levels, especially since mobile chips will continue to go down with their desktop counterparts.
>>
>>54168216
didn't they use Intel CPUs?
>>
>>54170369
>acknowledges the existence of people who play video games
>le gaymer manchild /v/irgin meme
>>
>>54168390
>workstation
>gtx
pick one

Real Workstation use Xeons and Quadros/FirePros and Tesla Accelerators if the software demands for them.
>>
False equivalence. OP is objectively wrong. OP is a fag.
>>
>>54170340
The positioning of that monitor, keyboard, and mouse bothers me. How the fuck is the user sitting at that desk supposed to access the peripherals around the damn SGI Onyx that is sitting there?
>>
>>54171561
well since it's a VR station the user is probably intended to stand and only use the keyboard/mouse sparingly to load whatever software is needed for the sim
>>
>>54168212
Personally, I'm waiting for a time when SSDs don't die after 1 month of writing to them.
>>
>>54171863
Nigga are you living in 1999? You will probably die before your SSD.
>>
>>54171895
Hello intel.
>>
>>54163460
>>
>>54172069
>>
>>54172085
>>
A GTX960 is low-end in the PC world. Good luck matching the performance of that on a phone. The highest end phone can't even come close to matching the CPU power of an i3-6320.

I agree that PCs are dying, but the power gap is still wide.
>>
>>54163460
So wait are workstations coming back then?

Who gives a fuck about low end desktops, no smartphone is going to be able to work with 100+Gb 4D seismic data any fucking time soon.
>>
>>54172121
>power gap is still wide.

No one cares about raw power. It's about functionality. SaaS means that power doesn't matter anymore because the server can run the app for you.
>>
>>54172256
but from a functionality perspective SaaS is garbage because you can only control what the provider allows you to, and you're putting your system and valuable data at the whim of someone else's decisions, market trends and the (un)reliability of your internet connection
>>
>>54172349
Outside of 3rd world countries like America, internet connectivity isn't an issue, and normies don't care about who has their data or getting boned by corporations.

Desktops are dying and doomed.
>>
>>54172431
I agree with this.
Have a 20GB LTE plan in my country (+unlimited sms, calls, roaming, and works in many places overseas), all for ~$20 a month.
Enjoy your amerikuh freedoms, while your provider caps netflix.
>>
>>54172121
>playing modern games
Gaming is about to die and modern gaming is the thing killing it. The only computers that need powerful graphics processors are rendering farms and they don't use the same class of graphics processors today's lolgaymurs do.
>>
>>54163582
>Intel gives money to anita
>a year later, massive laidoffs
Why do progressives keep ruining our economy?
>>
>>54172541
>what are simulations
>what is machine learning
>>>/ludditeland/
>>
>>54163519
Gamers will use NUCs, which by that time will have capable integrated graphics or small GPUs.
>>
>>54164688
It's not going away, but it will be so rare, that basically it won't be for consumers.
>>
>>54168037
Nah, the future is not laptops, because the future is big screens.

So I'd rather place my bet on really powerful NUCs, mini PCs which can pack enough power to be usable for gaming.

Add an external GPU and you have something that might be usable for professional work too. So, I'd rather bet on modularity and barebones PCs, which can be connected to big screens, rather than gimped portable devices that get hot as hell and have small screens.

Don't tell me you can connect a laptop to a big screen because that's just plain retarded. Then you have to connect a separate keyboard and mouse, etc etc, just to be able to use the screen properly.
>>
>>54163460
no laptops aren't good enough to play vidya or do heavy video editing on
>>
>>54163460
Desktops won't die, but the market will shrink to the point that everything in it is absurdly expensive outside of tiny MiniPCs/HTPCs that barely have more power than your average laptop.
>>
>>54163460
portables will only overtake desktops with low TDW with high performance and if batteries ever get better.
>>
So is everyone just asking to get $2000 facebook machines?
>i didn't say $2000 macbook pros, i said $2000 computers that just dwindle down to "facebook machines"
>>
>>54167719
Films makers have GPU farms that they access remotely, not individual power machines.

They get huge discounts when they upgrade and don't represent much of the total market in cpu's, gpu's.
>>
>>54168645
You won't see tablets in professional environments - they're expensive luxuries for consumers.

You will see things like Intel NUC attached to monitors - so basically cheap mobile processors inside a very small computer.
Just like the computer sticks for tv's that people are constantly buying now.
>>
>>54168489
all depends what you're doing

quadros have *very* specialized applications desu

i have one of the newest generation quadros and i only needed that for a singular sole partner certified driver.

for a lot of things you'd be better off getting a bunch of geforces, if pure crunch is all you need. they are just that much cheaper.
>>
>Implying you can do your job with a smartphone
>Implying you have a job
>implying you have an idea what people even do with computers

Hurr durr, PC functionality is not limited to checking facebook, posting selfie and shitposting.
I'd love to see you doing ANYTHING of value on a mobile device.
>>
>>54169044
But why would you want to max out?
Isn't normal to high ok, or isn't 30 fps for very high ok... why so pretentious.
>>
>>54174332
I don't even know ONE application of quadros or firepro, and i was eager to learn since forever, still no one told me what are they good for.
>>
>>54174389
60fps should be your minimum, no exceptions. However, if it looks shit while doing it, then you have a problem.
>>
>>54168973
yeah VR is interesting.

like, i'd get back into gaming if they could do a 2010 call of duty level game in full 3d with great peripherals.

but i think you underestimate how many people would spend 1000 to play VR games.

1000 bucks isn't that much anymore. VR won't be for poor people, but it won't be for rich people, either.
>>
>>54170045
GAming started as a passion a side project, and it just made some profit for few companies... it's not a proper industry, and I hopped it would never become one - yet it tried to and fucked everything up.
>>
>>54163460
>In 10 years, they will get that last 10% of functionality and the last people using anything resembling desktops will be people doing massively parallel calculations on mini-GPU farms that require a wall plugin.

Yeah, I love doing development on a 4 inch screen. It is definitely in no way beneficial to have 2-3 large monitors to cross reference information and compare code.

Phones give me maybe 1% of the functionality of a desktop. I would never use my phone or laptop when I'm at home and have access to my desktop. The only thing it would give me that I might use my desktop for is a worse web browser. Why the fuck would I use that?
>>
>>54174415

lray render, for CATIA, for one thing. that's probably one of the more common. 10 bit color and stereo, for some artsy kind of professionals.

and most of the rest... well pick a program off this list... click "agree to download drivers" and you get a BIG list of programs you've never heard of that require quadros. the military uses a lot. so do oil extraction firms.

truth is the GPU is just "many slower cores" versus the CPU being "few fast cores" and the industrial applications that require certain things use them for those reasons.
>>
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=121963&page=0
>>
>>54171364
>probably.

Well a modern i3 skylake will eat on windows with all drivers installed in normal load 17 watts. What's your point? YOu just had some good ideas from the past and assume you can predict the future or things around you with an arrogant attitude.

OH and the same i3 skylake is more powerful than the high end processors they use on MacBOoks and on the workstation laptops all for price tag of 100$
>>
>>54174499
bunkspeed SHOT, assimilate SCRATCH, Ansys fluent, Bentley cars, ERDAS, all come to mind. any high volume geospatial software requires quadros.
>>
>>54163460
Middle is going to fall out of the desktop market. Only low end (Mini PC, HTPC) and high end (Muh gayman, low-end workstation) will be left. Intel and MS are scrambling to get away from the disaster.
>>
>>54174332
Seriously this.
Why else would nvidia do what they did with cudnn and the titans?
>>
>>54172431
>Outside of 3rd world countries like America, internet connectivity isn't an issue
are you retarded or something? what exactly does your speedtest e-dick score have to do with connection reliability?
>and normies don't care about who has their data or getting boned by corporations.
>normies
oh, you're a redditor, that explains it

as far as the point, naive millennial college students who only use cloud services because it came with their shiny new walmart shitbox/macbook =/= all normalfags

the time sharing model died in the '80s for a reason

>>54174306
what the fuck do you think they use to produce the models and scenes to render, dumbass?
>They get huge discounts when they upgrade and don't represent much of the total market in cpu's, gpu's.
they actually do because the volume of that discounted shit is more than the entire gamertard market combined
>>
>>54174511
>Well a modern i3 skylake will eat on windows with all drivers installed in normal load 17 watts.
I wasn't talking about i3s, I'm talking about higher-end i7s and entry-level Xeons. An i3-equivalent in market positioning around 1996 probably would have been a Pentium 100 or 133, and those would eat maybe 9-10W under sustained maximum load.

> YOu just had some good ideas from the past and assume you can predict the future or things around you with an arrogant attitude.
What are you even talking about?

>OH and the same i3 skylake is more powerful than the high end processors they use on MacBOoks and on the workstation laptops all for price tag of 100$
Again what the fuck are you even talking about? Who cares? What does that at all have to do with my notion that it was efficiency that increased over time rather than a decrease in "power consumption" which isn't necessarily true? Or my point at the end that mobile chips will probably still stick around because they aren't likely to just stop being more efficient and less power hungry than desktop chips?
>>
>>54174735

nvidia made a 'mistake' with titans, which is why the titan black, (just an upgraded OG titan) is going UP in price as time goes by. for a lot of pro's, they don't need partner certified drivers, they just need raw motherfucking double precision floating point compute. and the titan black produces 2/5th's of what the #1 quadro (m600) produces, for under a 7th of the price. a titan is like, 800 bucks and can do 3.5 gflops of double precision, i think. the M6000 is 7500 dollars and can do 6 gflops. so if you don't need the drivers for any specific program (aka making your own or just using other stuff) it's waaaaay cheaper to just SLi four titans than it is to get a new quadro.
>>
>>54174801
THey usually use cheap dell workstations with linux on them and usually they use maya - you dumb shit.
>>
>>54174992
by mistake, i mean, look what they did to the titan X, the titan X is a legitimately bad choice for most workstations, the titan black/OG or a couple is a legitimately good choice.

the titan Z is actually their compromise between the two crowds, it's a 3 space dual chip card with massive compute that can either smash ur gaymes or do compute for science. but no quadro drivers. gotta pony up for those. and the people that need them do in fact pony up.
>>
>>54174935
Well of course mobile chips will stick we can even use them in desktop now or a bridge between desktop and mobile like T Models on skylage gen.

SUre 17 watt is more than the 9-10 w in 1996 you mentioned but you can still get that... with an i3 6100 T, maybe even less usage.
>>
>>54174992
Nobody uses double precision. Everybody uses single precision or even better: half precision. That's why titans up in price: everyone wants over 9000 of those fuckers in their gpu clusters.

People who actually unironically use double precision in $CURRENT_YEAR use teslas.
>>
>>54175095

not everyone can afford teslas or needs teslas and titan blacks are still way cheaper if you only need 10 gflops of fp64 or something. there are lots of different problems and lots of different solutions, we're discussing people that need double precision here obviously. not gaymers, and i guess not 3d modellers either since they need the drivers more than they need the fp64. they gotta pony up.

but yes, everyone wants 9000 titan blacks. and gaymers want a titan X.
>>
>>54163460
>can give you 90% of the functionality of a low end desktop computer

Accountant here, the most important function of a low end desktop computer is the fucking 30 inch screen to be able to work with 4 different spread sheets and 20 windows of the crappy accounting software at the same time.
>>
>>54175139
Litearlly, say it with me: LITERALLY nobody who does serious work needs double precision. You can roleplay all you want in your sick fetish dungeon but fucking stop when you are in public.
>>
>mobile high performance computer that beats desktops or gains 95% of the performance.

Why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>54175190
LITERALLY anyone who does ANY high component count work needs fp64. you know, that 33rd decimal really fucking adds up when you get into 4 digit component counts, and that add-up gets translated to the mills. here's the scary thing, by it's very nature you have no fucking clue where it went.

fp64 is not a crime. it's literally exactly what it says it is. double precision. people forget that computers are not only not perfectly precise, but past a certain point become *random*.
>>
>>54175240
OK pajeet, whatever you say.
>>
scale of all components divided by average, times the largest parametric render.

Is this larger than tolerance?

if yes, than you require FP64

if no, than you require FP64.

and i am not pajeet

>>54175267
>>
>>54175281
>>if yes, than you require FP64
>if no, than you require FP64.
good argument
>>
>>54175453

that was actually a mistake, but, i might be right and not know it.
>>
>>54173651

This. Have you seen the requirements to compile stuff like chromium ? Even a decently sized mobile app is hard to compile without having a desktop to run the compilation + run the emulation.

Desktops are going to become a niche almost exclusive to developers, just like "workstations" (regular very high end PC) are getting exclusive in engineering and other high requirement work like simulation.
>>
>>54174668
Yeah, basically this, for one simple reason:
People will not spend a lot on a home computer anymore. If they can get the same basic functionality from a stick/HTPC/NUC or 2 in 1, why would they get anything else?

They will get something that doesn't take much space and can either be connected to a big screen or has its own screen.
>>
>>54175193
the idea of a future where accessible computing hardware is nothing but tiny locked down tinker-proof do it all devices is kind of boring and depressing desu
>>
>>54176243
They're turning into appliances. It was pretty much inevitable.
>>
>>54176050
I can see mid-range desktops surviving in the workplace because they're easier to replace and maintain, but that's about it. Hope you like refurbished Lenovo Thinkcentres, because that's probably what you'll end up with.
>>
>>54176416

i own a thinkSTATION and it's pretty rad.

i've never seen windows with literally zero bloat.

you don't get it nigga

zero

windows 7 taking up 2 gigs of space and 400mb ram.

open up task manager on startup and 6 processes running. srsly

and everything works on them. you don't run into retarded issues.
>>
File: 1415674557420.jpg (17 KB, 327x360) Image search: [Google]
1415674557420.jpg
17 KB, 327x360
So as long desks exists... so will desktop computers.

However the format will most likely change. There may even come a day where we do actually need computer parts to make something powerful, instead wireless internet could become so good that it'll literally provide us an infinite amount of power whenever we want.

Imagine every little device tapping into its wavelengths and suddenly your smartphone has the power of an ultra super computer.
>>
>>54176826
Literal housefires.
There's going to be so much energy wasted as heat it would set the desk on fire.
>>
>>54176812
That sounds pretty cool. What's the specs on it? I only managed to grab a refurb thinkcentre for $100, but it has a decent i3-2130 and I put an SSD in it.
>>
>>54177205

dual 8 core xeons @2.6-3.3 with TWENTY megabyte caches, 64gb ram in 16 ecc sticks, dual sli quadro 6000's. i put a 500gb ssd in it and it got stupid fast. paid 1100 on ebay. installed liquid cooling on the prodcessors for 400 to make them go 3.3 pretty much forever and put a E-MU pci audio interface in it, it totally shreds for recording and producing songs and stuff, and doing photoshop/aftereffects shit. i played fallout 4 for a week too, before i realized it was shit and games are over and done no more good games ever just let games die for you, and it was ultra at 2k smooth as butter.

man, you ever seen a "uninstall program" control panel with nothing on it? that's what i got.

i hear that hp z800's are similar. hp z800's and lenovo d30/c30 thinkstations seem to be the cream of the ebay crop.

we use those thinkcentres at work. pretty impressive for a computer smaller than a book desu and if you only browse the web, it's totally suffiefficient.
>>
No.
Dell and Lenovo are pushing out tons of towers and laptops shipping capable GPUs and high end processors because there are people who need to get a lot of work done. 3D modelling. Large scale programming. Pentesting. Graphic design. These require computing power. Workstations didn't die, it just proved useful to the marketers to strip Workstation from the description and sell them as elegant work PCs.

It is worth noting though that the hardware required for (most) tasks in these fields and others requiring workstations are fulfilled by powerful laptops. Workstations never died - they changed with the rest of the market.
>>
>>54176416
Not even that. In a few years most corporate offices will run stick PCs or HTPCs mounted on the back of a monitor.

No need to do any maintenance on them, just replace them every 1-2 years with an updated model. For office applications, a mail client and a browser, they're more than enough.

Heck, they might not even need to upgrade them if they buy the Core M ones.

Do you really think anyone will invest in staff that has to do hardware maintenace in a company? Just replace the cheap stick/htpc, no need to fuck around with replacement parts.
>>
>>54177650
If that was the case then they would have already shifted over to inexpensive SFF systems years ago.
>>
>>54178533
SFF are already everywhere in businesses. Half the business refurbs you see are SFF. http://us.refurb.io/collections/desktops
>>
>>54163460
>Workstations went extinct 10 years ago because commodity hardware got good enough to erase the distinction between a good desktop computer and a workstation.

As a content creator who has to scrub through 4k video via 10gbe sitting on a bunch of SSDs in RAID on a NAS, I disagree with you completely.

If I didn't have two hex-core Xeons humming along then transcoding video would take entirely too long.

WAN technology is currently holding back Workstation tech, you can't put 3D apps and stuff in the cloud if the endpoint's bandwidth is too low. And even the best Workstations VDI form can't maintain the kind of consolidation ratios to stay in business.

OP is a fucking retard and doesn't understand that the reason Intel's desktop division got laid off is because they didn't develop the kind of tech that people want for desktop gear.

NUCs were a good first step, the Computer stick is finally getting there. We're not seeing any cheap WiDi displays or unified desktop experiences (placing your Surface Pro on an NFC pad and the unit instantly connecting to WiDI and KB+M)

>>54164688
That will only happen until our network infrastructure catches up. As soon as things like cloud gaming take off we're going to see a reduction in this type of enthusiast hardware, and that scares me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg

Everybody please watch this video, it's super important.
>>
File: 1457496606537.jpg (11 KB, 448x372) Image search: [Google]
1457496606537.jpg
11 KB, 448x372
>>54163582
>4k 60 fps 144hz
>60 fps 144hz
>60 fps
>>
Everyone at work uses laptops. Very large company. It has already happened.
>>
>>54178533
The last place where I was working was using SFF systems, the whole institution used them. Probably the next ones will be even smaller.
>>
>>54178619
I don't really see that kind of SFF box very often outside of public computers/kiosk setups, most office setups have more than enough space for a more conventional desktop, and for those situations where space is lacking, pretty much every OEM offers a business-class all-in-one.

I guess I just really don't see what a NUC-style form factor or a compute stick brings to the table, they have no ports or expandability for cases that need it, they're much easier for employees to steal or damage, they don't save any more space than an all-in-one or conventional monitor-mounted SFF, and they're not going to be really all that much cheaper in the long run over a bulk order mid tower or all-in-one system.
>>
>>54170495
Yes, actually we do.

Self-driving cars are what will be pushing GPU tech for the next five years, gaming cards are actually really small part of Nvidia's revenue. You think gamers push GPUs and not big data and deep learning?
>>
File: Snip.jpg (66 KB, 1189x137) Image search: [Google]
Snip.jpg
66 KB, 1189x137
But at my work place, this is completely wrong. All computers with non mobile requirements are SFF intel i5 machines and there are a few work stations in some departments.

Nothing went away, it all just has a smaller footprint. Full size got replaced with mini tower, and mini tower got replaced with SFF.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.