[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gamers and Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
Why would gamers ever use Linux? Free software philosophy is antithetical to video games. 99% of all video games are proprietary and closed source and are distributed through closed source app stores with tons of DRM and spying, so you're never going to get gamers to give a shit about free software, or even open source. Secondly, gamers spend hundreds of dollars on games, so saving 100 dollars by not buying Windows isn't exactly a huge selling point, especially when all most gamers need is Home Edition. Titles and hardware are also lacking in Linux, which could change with time, but would take years to change.

Gamers spend more money per unit on desktops and laptops than anyone else, so if you're ever going to pass Windows on the computing platforms were software actually gets made, you're going to have to appeal to gamers.
>>
>>54090193
>using Linux means you must use free software
I buy games on Linux through steam.

Also
>he actually thinks there is big money in games
I work with equipment every day that cost more per unit than I make in a year.
>>
>Gamers spend more money per unit on desktops and laptops than anyone else
just. fucking. lol.
>>
>>54090251
>buying through steam
>not superior GoG
>>
>>54090251
Yes, but you seem like a Linux user who plays games, not a gamer who uses Linux.

Why would someone whose primary use for their computer is gaming use Linux?
>>
>>54090276
Not sure about hardware, but they seem to be willing to spend on the most on video games. At least on the Humble Store.
>>
>>54090193
>so saving 100 dollars by not buying Windows
I wish Windows was still a product. Now its users are.

Also there are a bunch of open source games and engines out there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games

Even some older tripple A games are open source
https://github.com/id-Software
If you've bought the game you can copy the assets, compile from source and play that way.
>>
>>54090193
There are people out there who like video games and do not like windows
>>
>>54090332
Gamers don't care about free software. Stop trying to insert your free software religion into the discussion.

>>54090364
Most of those people are willing to put up with Windows just for the games, or buy a PlayStation.
>>
File: chie_cosplay.jpg (68 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
chie_cosplay.jpg
68 KB, 500x749
>>54090389
I'm a gamer, and I care about free software.
>>
>>54090295
I do that sometimes too, but Steam is pretty comfy as a platform desu senpai.

>>54090325
>Yes, but you seem like a Linux user who plays games, not a gamer who uses Linux.
Correct

>Why would someone whose primary use for their computer is gaming use Linux?
There is no "gaming OS", Windows has always been a platform for running Microsoft Office. For the gamer, it doesn't really matter which OS he uses as long as he can play his games, right?

Valve are pushing developers to release their big titles for Linux, Nvidia is putting some serious effort into their Linux drivers, etc. Big studios are releasing games for Linux.
>>
>>54090330
I don't even think that can hold a candle to a enterprise software and support contracts, especially considering "gamers" are notoriously cheap and pirate/skimp a lot.
>>
>>54090464
All I'm saying is that there is evidence out there that suggests Gadzooks/Looney users might be the biggest spenders on software, or at the very least video games.
>>
>>54090405
No, you're a freetard who plays games. Anyone who refuses to touch 99% of games for being proprietary and therefore unholy is not a gamer. You can't participate in mainstream gaming culture, own a console, or even buy a physical game because it has DRM.
>>
>>54090406
>There is no "gaming OS"

This is false though. Over 95% of Steam users run Windows, and that makes Windows the de facto gaming OS.

Linux has actually become less popular on Steam since SteamOS was launched.
>>
>>54090517
>telling other people what they can or cannot do.
>>
>>54090517
Uh, oh. You've made some assumptions that just aren't true. Yeah, I care about free software, but that doesn't preclude me from using proprietary software from time to time. Hell, I can't even say I'm not running proprietary software on my machine, as I am. I use Steam on Linux, I use proprietary hardware drivers, etc.

Do I wish it was all free? Sure. But that isn't the world we're living in right now. I have consoles and a dedicated Windows machine specifically for gaming I can't do in another environment.
>>
>>54090193
Well, i like linux more and there's a good number of games available so what's the problem?
>>
>>54090193
It's not the same, running proprietary software on userland than running a whole proprietary OS though.
I'm willing to compromise on games remaining proprietary software.
>>
>>54090564
>>54090622

>I use free software when it's convenient for me so I can feel like a special snowflake, but not enough to cramp my style.

> #StopTheNSA #FreeSnowden #FeelTheBern #Reddit

There is no philosophical difference between using all proprietary software and using some proprietary software. You guys are just hipsters, and the average gamer is never going to care about free software, so why would they use Linux?
>>
>>54090193
>Get A LOO!!
>>
>>54090193

Who said gamers use Linux exclusively?

What is the point of this thread, even? Gamers wouldn't care to modify a game or distribution platform, so your point is moot.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use non-free software on a free (open) operating system. As long as you trust it and/or understand the implications and risks behind doing so.

wine emulation on Linux works half-assedly at times and users understand that some popular games are not - and will not be - supported. Doesn't mean they cannot give it a shot anyway.

If they want more reliable compatibility, most likely understand that they'd need to either 1) run Windows in some capacity (VM/VGA passthrough, Wine, dual boot), 2) wait for program to be ported to Linux or 3) give up or find an alternative.
>>
>>54090664
>people who try to keep as much of their freedom as they can are hipsters

Uhh, ok. I guess if you say it's true, I'll believe it.

>There is no philosophical difference between using all proprietary software and using some proprietary software.

So what?
>>
>>54090538
>This is false though. Over 95% of Steam users run Windows, and that makes Windows the de facto gaming OS.
By this logic FreeBSD is the gaming OS, because of PS4.

>>54090538
>Linux has actually become less popular on Steam since SteamOS was launched.
Now you're just making stuff up.

Fine, hate Linux with a passion if you want. I just don't see the point in not being OS-agnostic and being able to use both if necessary. Linux is objectively a better OS, and we all know that the sole reason why MS has the foothold on the PC gamer market is because of DirectX and Xbox.
>>
>>54090664
you base your arguments in assumptions of what you think other people thinks, that way you're only wasting your time. People who uses linux will not care i you think they're hipsters or if you think they should care about free software.
>>
>>54090694
>Gamers wouldn't care to modify a game or distribution platform, so your point is moot.

>gamers don't make cracks to avoid DRMs
>gamers don't make hacks to cheat
>gamers don't overclock their system
>gamers don't put GPUs in the oven
>gamers don't go through a bunch of settings in msconfig and the like
>gamers don't disable background services for ultimate fps count
>gamers don't buy routers that run dd-wrt or the like in order to prioritise game traffic
>>
>>54090538
>Linux has actually become less popular on Steam since SteamOS was launched.
Ahm, if you're talking about percentages at least consider the if the total amount of steam users is the same since steam for linux launched.
>>
>>54090193
Because being forced to quit a game in the middle of a match due to a forced update is fucking retarded.
>>
>>54090193

Vydia doesn't get open soresed

It gets abandoned.
>>
I use my PC for nothing but gaming and light web browsing. Switched to Linux over the last few years and have been pretty happy. Use to not be able to game at all but now a third of my steam library has native binaries. Most of the games that don't have native binaries can be played with wine without issue if dx9. This means tons of AAA titles are now available. Yes some of the options may be dated now but being able to play gta 4 or skyrim is much differerent than not being an option at all. If you already have a bigger library than you can play this matters very little.

The reasons I use Linux are simple: I like the os and it runs what I need it to.

I've still got a Windows drive - it just doesn't get used. Have had witcher 3 since release but haven't finished it, just don't like booting into Windows. The most I'd use Windows for now is in qemu vga pass through or streaming from a standalone dedicated Windows steam server to my Linux client. In both cases Windows use would be nothing more than a launcher.
>>
File: linux cant into games.png (26 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
linux cant into games.png
26 KB, 600x429
Freetards BTFO! XD
>>
>>54090694
>There's nothing wrong with wanting to use non-free software on a free (open) operating system. As long as you trust it and/or understand the implications and risks behind doing so.

You're never going to get the average gamer to care about free software. Half of them use iPhones.

>>54090700
>So what?

So you shouldn't be doing it for ideological or philosophical reasons.

>>54090718
>By this logic FreeBSD is the gaming OS, because of PS4.

No this is wrong because the PS4 OS is no longer binary compatible with FreeBSD 9, the OS it was based on. You can't just stick a PS4 OS program in FreeBSD and expect it to run. PS4 is the go to gaming OS though.

>Now you're just making stuff up.

It's true freetard.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/steam-march-survey-stats-linux-usage.html

>>54090747

Almost every single Linux user in this thread has blabbered about the virtues of free software.

>>54090816

The stats indicate a real decrease, not a proportional decrease.

>>54090833

Being to stupid to disable or schedule updates is fucking retarded.

>>54090863

Lol so you still use Windows because Linux can't give you what you want. More proof that gamers need Windows.
>>
>>54090920
>So you shouldn't be doing it for ideological or philosophical reasons.

I wasn't aware that I was.
>>
what if I use linux simply because I don't want to use windows?

free software philosophy and all that cuckoo stallman bullshit don't even cross my mind
>>
>>54090986
Shh.

They don't know that there are actually people using Linux for reasons other than FSF bullshit.

Let's keep it that way.
>>
>>54090920

>Lol so you still use Windows because Linux can't give you what you want. More proof that gamers need Windows.

Not quite. I said I don't use it at all but might consider going back to it under specific architecture where it is nothing more than a launcher. I haven't set this up because it doesn't seem worth it only to gain dx11 titles. Instead I just don't play them. As I mentioned, already have more titles than all ever play under Linux.
>>
>>54090920
Did Linus Torvalds rape your mom or something?

How can anyone be this autistic and deny facts staring them right in the face?
>>
>>54090915
REAL ADULTS don't actually play little kid games. Don't worry kiddo you will understand that someday, til then go back to playing CoD.
>>
I want full pc gaming unhindered by Windows. That's all there is to it. Steam on Ubuntu does that will enough.
>>
File: bait4.png (112 KB, 624x624) Image search: [Google]
bait4.png
112 KB, 624x624
>>
>>54090920
>Almost every single Linux user in this thread has blabbered about the virtues of free software.
what is your point exactly?

>The stats indicate a real decrease, not a proportional decrease.
even if it's that bad as you are claiming this will not make people change their opinion, at least my criteria of what operative system i'm gonna use is not based on it's popularity, also, from what date to what date and how big is that decrease according to you?
>>
>>54091118
>lose an argument
>start posting "don't reply!" images to make it look like you weren't the fag that got btfo

Classic /g/.
>>
>>54091118
b-but it's fun
>>
>>54091143
don't worry, just looking at how you're talking a lot based on assumptions and on what people should like or do is enough for a lot of people to draw it's own conclusions
>>
File: baited.gif (239 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
baited.gif
239 KB, 500x448
>>54091210
You don't even know who you're replying to.

lol
>>
>>54091231
if you're not the same person then make some arguments on why he's right and let's see if you can do it better than him.
>>
File: marie.png (211 KB, 550x350) Image search: [Google]
marie.png
211 KB, 550x350
>>54091277
Who are you actually referring to? Let's start there.
>>
>>54090931

You are because you have an aversion to proprietary software.

>>54091135

It was something like half a percent out of 1.5 percent of Steam users. Not exactly a big difference, but still a drop.

>>54091105
>I want full pc gaming unhindered by Windows.

This is an oxymoron. Windows defines PC gaming. You're missing 90% of titles, and you probably can't even get the same performance, especially if you're using Wine.

Be honest, you're doing it for freetarded reasons.
>>
>>54091351
>everyone who doesn't use windows is a freetard!

Someone might actually take this bait and start arguing it. Let's wait and see.
>>
>>54091363
That's a straw man. I have never argued that, and people who use Macs obviously aren't freetards.

It's pretty obvious that the fast majority of people who play video games with Linux are freetards and play games on Linux for freetard reasons.
>>
>>54091306
ok
>>54090193
>>54090517
>>54090664
>>54090920
>>
>>54091388
>That's a straw man. I have never argued that
>Be honest, you're doing it [not using Windows] for freetarded reasons.

lol ok

>people who use Macs obviously aren't freetards.

I wasn't going to bring the gays into the discussion.
>>
>>54091405
this ones too:
>>54091351
>>54091388
>>
File: on_disc_dlc.jpg (196 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
on_disc_dlc.jpg
196 KB, 533x800
>>54091405
Yeah, that dude is a faggot. You'll not see me arguing his points.
>>
>>54091431
oh, good, he's bassically saying "b-but you're freetards and you're supposed to do freetard things", this guy is a lot like homer simpson.
>>
First of all, people who self-identify as a gamer are poopie-heads.

I took a break from playing games in my late teens through to mid twenties, and before that Linux support was basically 'who the fuck knows?' Got back into playing games a few years ago, and the difference is night and day.

I mostly play strategy games like Europa Universalis or Mount&Blade, so not the most 'cutting edge' stuff, but more and more games are being released across all Windows/Mac/Linux, and there's loads of support for running games under Wine, even developers are testing their products under Wine to make sure it works and providing support on user forums.

Now, I don't need to look up online to see if it works, I just buy it on Steam, make a new virtual drive, install it, and fiddle around with it. 90% of the time I'm running it perfectly fine within half an hour, and I've found the exceptions to that rule are older and more obscure games, not newer ones.

Also, I find the learning curve with Windows is the same with Linux, you just don't notice it if you've grown up with it. It's kinda like learning a new language, you learn your first one in ten years, but get frustrated when you can't learn a new one in two.

>tl;dr OP is a faggot
>>
>>54091351
>It was something like half a percent out of 1.5 percent of Steam users. Not exactly a big difference, but still a drop.
Not saying that linux gaming is being a huge sucess or something like that but there's still some things the steam hardware survey is not taking in account:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3045249/linux/linux-gaming-is-much-healthier-than-steams-hardware-survey-implies.html
Unfortunately a lot of publishers are using the data from this survey as an indicator of the real numbers of linux users when for example it doesn't even takes in account people using big picture mode "ie steam machines":
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4289#issue-130602798
>>
>>54091351
Rephrase that to "I want pc gaming to BE unhindered by Windows" then. Sure. Even if wine is unwieldy, it makes Linux backwards compatible with more old Windows games than Windows itself.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160418_092305.png (194 KB, 835x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160418_092305.png
194 KB, 835x540
>>54091501
>Europa Universalis
Is there a way to pirate the DLCs for the loonix version? I love grand strategy games, but I can't be fucked booting up windows just to play them
>>
>>54090664
>There is no philosophical difference between using all proprietary software and using some proprietary software
Cut this no true Scotsman bullshit. Avoiding all proprietary software is practically impossible today due to firmware and the web.
>>
>>54091570
>Is there a way to pirate the DLCs for the loonix version?
I don't really know, I've never tried. Been spending all my time over the last six months playing Banished with the Colonial Charter mod. Such a fun little game!
>>
>>54091525
Steam surveys are more accurate than anything else. That's what I go by.

>>54091559

Windows has compatibility tools for old games and you get better performance than Wine when you use them.
>>
>using Linux means i care about freedums
>implying don't want to see RMS die
I use Linux (Ubuntu) becasue it just werks for me, and no amount of poor quality indian shilling will change that.
>>
>>54091501
Massively reduced title selection on Linux.

>>54091596

It's not a No True Scotsman fallacy at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

It's actually a No True Scotsman fallacy to insist that those who care about software freedom would use proprietary software under some conditions.
>>
>>54090295
They aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>54092099
>Massively reduced title selection on Linux.
Thank you for that insightful response.
>>
>gaymen OS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOajmJzngQo
>>
>>54090517
>you like playing video games but you don't play the latest AAA titles on windows pcmasterrace, that means you're not a gamer
wew lad slow down on the mountain dew
>>
>>54092043
When windows switched to 64-bit with Vista and onward, they internally removed the libraries they needed to be compatible with 16-bit software, which the installers for most games from the Windows 95-98 Era used (although the games themselves were 32-bit). You cannot install any of those games from that Era on modern day windows unless steam or gog hacked a workaround for that particular game. Wine handles them just fine. That compatibility mode you mentioned only goes as far back as Windows XP
>>
>>54092089
>implying don't want to see RMS die

for what purpose
rms is an ideological zealot, but at least his ideology is fundamentally good. The tech world would be a much better place if open source was the norm. The fact that it's never going to happen doesn't mean you have to hate Stallman for trying to make that a reality, even if he is pissing into the wind
>>
>>54092254
Linux with a VM handles it better than windows lmao
>>
File: lel.png (134 KB, 415x481) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
134 KB, 415x481
If there isn't a Linux port of a game 99% of the time I just won't play it.
>>
>>54092254
There are many different compatibility modes, not just one, and I play Quake I on Windows 10 so what you're saying obviously isn't true. The Wine devs don't have anything at their disposal that Windows hackers can't use. And besides, ancient games are not the main reaon people build expensive gaming PCs with i7's and NVIDIA GPUs.
>>
>>54090193
Gamers won't ever have a need to use Linux. Linux is for hobbyists, developers, and autismos who are smarter than you. Not for overgrown manchildren (except for the aforementioned autismos).
>>
>>54092099
Argue about the logical fallacy chosen and not the point of the post, sure. The implication of the first post was that a true "free software advocate" would never use proprietary software. The next sentence relabels those that use some proprietary software as hipsters. The No True Scotsman works, but creating a false black and white situation would be more fitting criticism of what is wrong with the first post.

Someone can care about software freedom and use proprietary software. They don't HAVE to use proprietary software, but they probably do without realizing it. The "only free software" argument breaks down rather quickly. Do you shop at stores? Congratulations, the point of sale system is software, you just used proprietary software. Turned on your car? That ABS isn't open source, better look for a different car.
>>
>>54092749
I said many games from that era use 16-bit installers. Quake is not one of them. The physical disc copy of Soulbringer is one example off the top of my head that used a 16-bit installer. I wasnt lying about them removing 16-bit compatibility, they did it because keeping it would have caused more problems than it made since windows was coded poorly. But you are right about the games being ancient. I just want games to be made available on a platform more competently made than Windows. Indy games are on the right track by using game engines compatible with everything under the sun
>>
>>54093090
> I wasnt lying about them removing 16-bit compatibility, they did it because keeping it would have caused more problems than it made since windows was coded poorly.
I thought it was an actual limitation of x86_64?
Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
>>
>>54093474
If it was an actual limitation of x86_64, Linux would have the same problems. The transition to the new architecture would have caused a lot of bugs with previous software on Windows because it's a gross mess of an operating system, and corporate decided they were too lazy to open that can of worms, so they lied instead.
>>
>>54093474
64 bit is an extension of 16 bit though. It's a continuous evolution of the original processor from forty years ago, designed to be backwards compatible.
>>
>>54092833
>gaming isn't a hobby
Nice try.
>>
>>54093659
some people get paid to play professionally. these people are unmitigated failures, worse even than actors and athletes, because at least those people are rewarded for traits that make them desirable mates.
>>
>>54093677
What point were you trying to make here?
>>
>>54090756

>implying cracking/hacking a game is something that should be supported by the developer

Just because a publisher has some stupid DRM shit doesn't mean you should hack at it; and then subsequently cry about how it's non-free and get asspained after you're banned for it. Even if it sucks, the added DRM and extras added to a game is part of the experience, as the publisher intended. If you don't like that way, stop dealing with the publisher or submit feedback (that will probably be ignored).

Also, overclocking, adding hardware to a system, altering router configuration, and changing operating system configuration files =/= not changing a game's code.
>>
>>54090920

Right, and they probably will not be Linux users.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.