[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Using a Dyson hand dryer is like setting off a viral bom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 27
>Using a Dyson hand dryer is like setting off a viral bomb in a bathroom

>Compared with plain paper towels, the jet dryers blow 1,300X as many viral germs.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/04/dyson-hand-dryer-spreads-virus-germs/

I just found out these are meme technology and do far more damage than good.

Fuck I thought Dyson were the good guys. Will they ever design one of these things that is actually hygienic and works?
>>
No.
>>
How is it compared to regular blowdryers?
That'd be an actually interesting comparison.
>>
Paper doesn't blow. Mystery solved.
>>
This has to be a joke wot??

You WASH YOUR HANDS before drying them
>>
>>54072338
>the Dyson produced 60 times more plaques than the warm air dryer and 1,300 times more than paper towels. Of the viruses launched by the jet dryer, 70 percent were at the height of a small child’s face.
>>
File: 1437525598091.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1437525598091.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
>fall for the germaphobia meme
>sanitize everything
>wash your hands 40 times a day
>your immune system gets less practice killing bacteria and weakens
>you get sick more often
>>
>>54072263
They became popular with jew business owners who didn't want to spend money on paper towels and don't give a fuck about cleanliness.
>>
>>54072338

Its pretty good. Too bad many placesmhave inferior clones.

The airblade is just a thin stream of air.
>>
>>54072263
Survival of the fittest.

Fuck the weak
>>
Paper towels will continue to be the most hygenic things ever.

Proof that long-standing, proven technology will trump modern bullshit every single goddamn time.
>>
>>54072360
That's what I realized a few months ago and switched to non-antibacterial soaps since then.

I'm just hoping the frequent hand washing is just a placebo for my mind now and my body is still getting enough exposure to a variety of bacteria to keep it in shape.
>>
>>54072435
eat some fucking dirt, it'll help your scrawny ass immune system
>>
>>54072360
>keep doing this
>over time gut flora is kill
>get a pot belly because you fell for a meme
>>
>>54072376
>They became popular with jew business owners who didn't want to spend money on paper towels and don't give a fuck about cleanliness.

As a janitor,, you'd be surprised the effect that things have on people. I agree that people were sold on the idea of not having to have paper and garbage cans and faster cleaning. And I would say that it is true, but costumers feel like your bathrooms are shit because they can't dry their hands, people don't use hand dryers even if they are dyson ones, they rather shake their hands and go on about their day. That goes for everyone, including say cooks, who will just not wash their hands because they don't give a fuck and having to use a hand dryer takes more time.
>>
>>54072448
Thanks, but I'd rather be exposed to germs slowly over time rather than risk a bad time on the toilet by introducing a shitload of bacteria all at once.
Then again, bacteria content depends on the kind of dirt you choose to eat.
>>
>>54072356
You can never truly wash all the bacteria off your body, in fact, after a full-body shower you'll just have randomized the spread of bacteria on your body, which is why surgeons shouldn't shower just before an operation.
>>
>arse technica
>>
Our local walmart has banned the use of paper towels in their bathrooms. They took all the dispensers down and replaced them with air dryers.
>>
>>54072628
>walmart people can't be trusted with paper towels
>>
>>54072628
What the fuck, why?
>>
>>54072435
>switched to non-antibacterial soaps

The OTC anti-bacterial soaps with triclosan are basically worthless anyway. Needs to be at OR concentrations to do anything.
>>
>>54072628
>going to walshit
>ever
Please don't.
>>
>>54072722
Why the fuck not?
>>
>>54072567
True. I guess this MUH 1300x hype is just 1300 times an almost 0 amount.
>>
>>54072263
Dyson are the Bose of ventilators.
>>
They're better than the shitty blow dryer that the next place installed in 2003.
>>
File: 5B1Xr.png (203 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
5B1Xr.png
203 KB, 500x376
The one at my college is absolutely disgusting, they all look like they're ridden in mold from the bottom up. Probably not even related to the article but it grosses me out every time I see it.
>>
>>54072753
Only because it is demonstrably the worst store ever.
>BUT MAH SAEVED MONAYS
Not even worth it to give to a fucking morally and ethically bankrupt megabusiness that screws over pretty much everything it touches.

Go watch "The High Cost of Low Price."
>>
>>54072827
Mould kills bacteria though ;:^)
>>
>>54072832
>buying more expensive products is somehow better
>>
File: 1450090609913.jpg (46 KB, 418x507) Image search: [Google]
1450090609913.jpg
46 KB, 418x507
>>54072832
All the grocery stores are close enough in price that a few cents cheaper or more expensive here and there doesn't make much of a difference. Walmart is convenient for having more non-grocery stuff in the same place.

If I was a NEET who had nothing better to do than spend my day going to more stores, then sure, why the fuck not?
>>
>>54072542
>being this afraid of dirt
>>
>>54072924
Haven't watched whatever they're recommending but there's a very solid idea behind paying for higher quality so it lasts longer. Very true of clothes, electronics, and plenty of other things you can find at Walmart.
>>
File: 1460747797729.png (688 KB, 681x773) Image search: [Google]
1460747797729.png
688 KB, 681x773
>>54072924
>>54072933
Buying local means more money in the pockets of your neighbors. This increases the quality of life for your community. Also Walmart gets their stuff out of the shit bin. The same Westinghouse (for example) Model will be wildly different.
>>
What difference does it make? Some germs probably aren't going to kill you. I still prefer dyson hand dryers because their faster.
>>
Airblades have always been memetech that impresses the normies. They don't actually fully dry your hands that fast, especially the fingertips, mostly because you can't rub your hands which dramatically increases the surface area of the water to be dried. Air Force One or other high power traditional shape units are much better but don't look as cool to fucking normies. Dyson is all style over substance
>>
File: 1429763684693.jpg (231 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
1429763684693.jpg
231 KB, 625x469
>>54072359
>Of the viruses launched by the jet dryer, 70 percent were at the height of a small child’s face.

Ragnarok is coming and the first to go down are the little shits.

>mfw I don't see anything wrong with it.
>>
File: 1451434916457.png (962 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451434916457.png
962 KB, 1280x720
>>54073013
I'd rather that money stay in my pocket than prop up the inefficient business model of someone who happens to live near me.

The quality isn't that much different, either. Electronics are the same consumer tier garbage you'd find in any retail store, and the clothes aren't noticeable worse than elsewhere.
>>
File: 1452058969966.png (78 KB, 363x324) Image search: [Google]
1452058969966.png
78 KB, 363x324
electronically sterilize the air current first by channeling it thru some length of ionizing radiation.

that'd be faster solution for a small drying unit than having to heat and subsequently cooling the air, and require less servicing than replacing a filter.
>>
>>54073194
Goes back to you when they pay their taxes, which will fix your roads and educate your kid so they don't end up working at Wal Mart.
>>
>>54072360
I wash my hands like 10 times a day, but with dove soap so my hands don't dry out.

I'm not interested in germs, I just hate having greasy hands.
>>
>>54073293
Quit touching your hair you greaseball italian
>>
File: 1440650358380.png (331 KB, 791x1010) Image search: [Google]
1440650358380.png
331 KB, 791x1010
>>54073264
>tfw evade sales tax by buying shit online

Besides, schools don't deserve any more money until they've learned to manage what they've got. I remember what it was like when I was a kid. We had ancient computers in CS class that took a solid 10 minutes to log in, the roof leaked in pretty much every building, and half the classes didn't have enough textbooks to go around. They spent millions on a new football field and gym.
>>
>>54073371
>tfw evade sales tax by buying shit online

This is what retards actually believe.
>>
>>54072263
Like I give a shit.
The jet engine dryers are fun as hell.
>>
File: 1460616249636.jpg (111 KB, 815x720) Image search: [Google]
1460616249636.jpg
111 KB, 815x720
>>54073371
I hate athletics department spending as much as the next guy, but it does draw attention to the school. Besides your school just one way they blow their money. When I was in highschool, they were pushing STEM like they were in labor. We were micropipetting and PCR'ing while our bleachers were falling apart. Furthermore, we blew our budget on paper towels cause of all the dirt on our benches from the shitty lawn outside.
>>
>It's a my shopping habits are better than your shopping habits thread

Oh fuck off.
>>
>>54072567
Most of those bacteria are harmless
>>
>>54073252
I don't think the problem is the air, it's what the air blows off your disgusting hands.
>>
>>54072832
Dude I was making some motherfucking muffins when I read your post and I kept thinking about the blindness of your view. Let's get something straight from beginning walmart doesn't put business out of business people do. Just like people keep walmart in business, if people didn't want to shop at walmart they wouldn't

Prices at walmart are no cheaper there than anywhere else, they compete with existing grocery stores basically at the same price points because the margins are so little, what they do make is a bigger profit on those slim margins because they can buy in bulk bigger amounts than your average store, but they still sell it at the same retail price as any other grocery store.

>morally and ethically bankrupt megabusiness that screws over pretty much everything it touches.

Are you living in this world? That is what business is all about, its about making some motherfucking money at any cost, they are no different than your mom and pop grocery store or your local shoe store, in fact they are better. Why? Because your neighborhood local mom and pop shop has no problems fucking you on prices, because they have to put in 14 hour days and feel like they should be making a million dollars and they're not, they have less scruples than walmart because they have no worries about selling you out of date food, they have no problem selling you a product at 100% over mrsp, and that is why they go out of business they are shit businesses that live off of being the only business.

I have watched that documentary a few times, and I live in a small town, not 40000 pop. small but 2000 pop small, and let me tell you there are always people against walmart, and those same people are always the ones who have been fucking the locals for years with their outrageous prices and practices. They treat you like shit every chance they get and then they wonder why people go shop 30 miles away at walmart.
watch the south park episode on walmart. people vote with their wallet
>>
File: Consider_the_following.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Consider_the_following.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>>54073553

electronically sterilize the restroom in between uses
>>
File: 44751849_p0.jpg (1 MB, 2716x3352) Image search: [Google]
44751849_p0.jpg
1 MB, 2716x3352
>>54073572
You might be onto something.

If a bathroom were flooded with high intensity UV light when not in use, it would have a lot less bacteria.

Perhaps this technology could eliminate mold growth in my shower.
>>
>>54072263
I guess that explains why people give me dirty looks when drying my dick in those. They must have know that germs were blowing around!
>>
>>54072263
>bacteria is bad for you
lel I bet you're one of those faggots that's allergic to gluten or peanuts and gets sick all the time.
I grew up on a farm. I get a cold maybe once every 5 years. I've never been allergic to anything. Antibacterial shit is for pussy faggots and overprotective soccer moms.
>>
>>54073672
When was the last time you were checked for shit? How do you know if you have toxoplasmosis or not?
Not having noticeable symptoms doesn't keep you from being a Tyhpoid Mary.
>>
but it blows the germs off your hands onto other stuff. the point is its not on your hands anymore.

nobody washes their arms, legs, or torso, or children in a public bathroom sink anyways.

Also its not really fair comparing paper towels to a blow dryer in a "who can blow the most viral germs" contest. One method uses forced air, the other soaks paper and disposes it into a common receptacle. I'm willing to bet the trash receptacle poses more of a viral hazard than the blow dryer.
>>
File: tumblr_o2iwtvEmqN1ur7gloo1_1280.png (613 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2iwtvEmqN1ur7gloo1_1280.png
613 KB, 600x849
>>54073744
>let me just go to the doctor for no reason
And we wonder why healthcare in the US is so expensive and countries with single-payer have long waiting lists...
>>
>>54072497
Pot belly on is caused by anterior pelvic tilt and being skinnyfat or fat. It has nothing to do with "bloat" or whatever you are trying to imply here.
>>
>>54073744
>spending your whole life worrying about invisible dust monsters
>wasting countless hours of your life going to the doctor because 'there might be something wrong, even though I feel fine'

What is wrong with you
>>
>>54073672
Allergies have nothing to do with how sterile someone lives you dumbass
>>
>>54072263
I just pull out a pack of tissues and use two to dry my hands if no paper towels are around.
However, most people in public restrooms don't wash their hands properly, if at all, so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>54073843
>invisible dust monsters can go up your nose, drill through your skull, eat your brain and kill you in less than a week
>>
Or you could all not be such clean freaks and let your immune system do its job. Except you've probably been living in some anti-bacterial bubble and have no immune system.
>>
>>54074116
The only thing I can picture /g/ cleaning regularly is our PCs.
>>
dyson have been designing useless shit for years

the guy's son owns a company that makes light fixtures. their crowning glory is a liquid-cooled super-powerful LED that will apparently 'last for 40 years'. the heatsink is as big as a billiards table (i'm NOT FUCKING JOKING) and it costs as much as buying 100 regular LEDs of the same power and then installing a new one every month
>>
>>54074116
Your immune system isn't going to get weaker unless you're on steroids or have HIV
>>
>>54074089
they probably won't, though

have fun living in constant terror bud
>>
>>54072263
>200 dollar fan
>dyson are the good guys

I don't think there is anything to be done about drying. We just need to be able to sustain paper somehow.
>>
File: img_3774.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
img_3774.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4000
>>54072263
Hand-less paper towel dispensers are the way to go. Additionally, if the paper towel has been hanging there for a while, the dispenser should just drop in the the trash can below.

The most disgusting hand drying mechanisms are those rotating cloth dispensers. Fucking gross.
>>
shaking my hands really fast and then drying on my pants has always worked for me
>>
>>54072360
This.

>Sterile homes and kitchens
>Antibacterial soap
>Antibiotics for every fucking cold
>Medication for every little trivial ouchie (ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol etc)
>All while eating shitty food that hardly contains nutrients

>Why do I have allergies???
>Why am I overweight???
>Why am I always sick???
>Why am I sensitive to all kinds of shit???

COME ON PEOPLE

Your body is supposed to work on it's own. Medication and all this shit should be a last resort when your body can't take it any longer without risking permanent damage. A fucking cold, a sore throat or a headache is NOT a reason to take pop pills. I fucking hate hypochondriacs.
>>
>>54074462
It's more for stopping the spread of plague and shit like that.

But then again if we had to stop the spread of serious disease then it wouldn't be "hey wash your hands =^)".

So really this obsession with washing gets us nowhere, especially the antibacterial soap which is a nuke. Of course medical professionals need to cleanse themselves. People wash just because they are afraid of touching a hand that was in contact with someone's dick even though your dick is very clean compared to hands.
>>
>>54074462
you are literally a disgusting fuck
there is nothing wrong with modern methods of sterilisation and cleanliness. people in the modern age die of ailments far, FAR less than they did before germ theory and etc. as long as you're not abusing these things (such as getting antibiotics for a cold, or not finishing a course of antibiotics) then you're not doing enough to create antibiotic-resistant microbes

the proliferation of antibacterial handwash has actually resulted in a small increase in microbes resistant to triclosan (the active ingredient) but there aren't any real implications to this, in the wild (e.g. medicine or food prep) alcoholic compounds are used instead, and saying that bacteria will become resistant to them is kind of like saying humans will become resistant to being shot in the head if you do it enough

the REAL thing you need to be worried about is the irresponsible use of antibiotics in livestock, because that genuinely is creating resistant bacteria.
>>
This makes sense though

They pull unfiltered air from the dirtiest rooms ever.

If they were fitted with replaceable HEPA filters and shit like that, they might be fine but obviously noone will ever replace them
>>
>>54074462
And then there's this retard who thinks anti-inflammatories cause allergies and make super bugs
>>
>>54072263
>get air drying to cut down on costs associated with paper towels
>some fa/g/g/ot comes over and starts bitching about how it doesn't do something that it's not supposed to
Hey brah, >>>/lgbt/ is that way. I know they both have /g/ in them, but try to think next time ok?
>>
>>54074513
>your dick is cleaner than your hands
Virgin detected
>>
>>54074616
>there is nothing wrong with modern methods of sterilisation and cleanliness
No there's not in appropriate environments. If you are about to cut someone open, then that's an appropriate environment for that. But not your fucking home. Literally every pedantic home I've been to had children with tons of auto immune diseases and allergies.
>We tried everything!
Nah m8, to me it's just common sense. Your immune system develops as it's needed, if you take the need away during the childhood, shit goes wrong. Just like bones and muscle tissue won't develop properly in microgravity.

>FAR less than they did before germ theory and etc. as long as you're not abusing these things (such as getting antibiotics for a cold, or not finishing a course of antibiotics)
Which is my main point really. The excessive use of antibiotics is a huge problem, especially in the US and the i.e. South America where you can literally just buy antibiotics in every store.
>>
>>54074731
Are you sticking your dick in literal corpses? Were you never taught to clean it as a child?
>>
>>54074732
>anti-bacterial soap causes auto-immune diseases

Holy fuck this thread is so full of stupid right now
>>
>>54072263
Your hands are supposed to be clean before you use it, you're only using it to dry them.
>>
>not washing your hands BEFORE touching your dick
GROSS
>>
>>54072448
>>54072542
>>54072963
Dirt naturally contains shit like mind control parasites that love to live in cats.
>>
>>54074780
There's actually quite a bit of evidence that there's a connection of hygiene and autoimmune diseases. Of course not all of them as autoimmune diseases are a very large spectrum, but many. Same with allergies. It's pretty fucking plausible as well. Just google it.
>>
>>54074901
Not an established thing until it's in the latest edition of Robin's Patholgy
>>
>>54074183
Actually it literally does. It's part of the reason why you need to get booster shots for some immunizations and why some others only last a handful of months.

Your immune system will eventually stop producing the antibodies it needs to fight things it isn't coming in contact with, and then you have a worse time when you come into contact with it again.
>>
>>54072263
How exactly do they measure germs in the air?
>>
>>54074901
Children born in farming communities have special ailments of their own like Farmer's Lung so it isn't like children who were born in a farming family aren't immune to allergies.
>>
>>54074964
It's not really a black and white thing. Hygiene and medication is overall a good thing, but it's about measure. And I know many people who have no fucking idea what they are doing and live by the rule "the more the better".
>>
>>54072832
>he's voting for a socialist
>>
>>54074436
This thing can't be real, I refuse to believe someone went ahead and create it.
>>
>>54072403
Have fun riding you're horse and wagon to work
>>
>>54074956
Germ-o-meter
>>
>>54074183
Stress doesn't help either. When you're fighting a proverbial bear, your immune system is put on hold.
>>
>>54075002
Well, if only research and development in Bacteriophages became mainstream and trendy again, we could have another alternative to antibiotics since bacteriophages are extremely plentiful in nature.

If you read any science fiction novels in the 1900s for example, there is almost no mention of antibiotics.

Science fiction writers at the time were all praising and glorifying Bacteriophages.
>>
>>54072263
What I've found out to dry your hands efficiently is to use half of both worlds. Say, you usually take two sheets of paper towels, or spend x amount of time air drying.

It's so much faster and better using that one sheet and a fraction of the time blowing combined, granted the paper doesn't break.
>>
>>54075095
I think turning every bathroom in America into a Japanese restroom/bathroom would do wonders for hygiene.

Automatic bathroom doors should be a thing for example
>>
Flesh is Weak.

Once we turn Full Machine, the only thing we would need to worry about is Rust.
>>
>>54075117
Americans are afraid of bidets
>>
>>54072933
sauce.
>>
>>54075117
Except the majority of Japanese restrooms don't have any way to dry your hands at all or any form of soap.

Unless you're talking about in home restrooms, in which case the majority don't have automatic doors.

I don't know where you are modeling your Japanese restrooms off.
>>
>>54074089
>>54074417
That is why you should avoid swimming in freshwater lakes or rivers.

Swimming in saltwater is safer in general since less nasty stuff can tolerate living in saltwater compared to living in freshwater.
>>
>>54072263
>British
>"technology"
>>
>>54073364
But imma not italian you mamma fucker!
>>
>>54074089
Are these spread all over the world or just in certain regions. This kind of scares me since I occassionally swim in fresh water.
>>
>>54075163
I live next to a river though anon and getting hammered drunk driving a bowrider around and going tubing is way too fun to not do
>>
>>54072359
>Of the viruses launched by the jet dryer, 70 percent were at the height of a small child’s face.

toplel
>>
>>54074462
Triclosan,cetylpyridiniumchlorine,chrorinehexidine(spelling?),pennicilin are the worst offenders because they are so commonly used.

Youre comletely right though
>>
>>54075316
Yeah but it is kinda concerning that there is an increase in that freshwater brain eating parasite you hear in the news every time some kid goes swimming in his or her local river or lake and then dying in less than a month.

Not trying to ruin your fun or anything but stay safe by researching how your city treats your local water: like do they at least give a shit about making sure everybody stays safe playing in water.

And it is also a fact that freshwater sources have never really treated humans so nice and dandy.

In the medieval ages for example, alcohol was much more safer to drink than freshwater.
>>
>>54075261
Does it have a separate cold and hot tap?
>>
>>54075454
DUDE INT MEMES LMAO
>>
>>54072263
>>54072338

>use airblade™
>jet is so strong that freshly cleaned hands touch shit infested walls
>have to wash hand again like 2 times more
>still have to touch handle with spread shit because managers can't decide to install switch and servo for opening the door

there's also sink mounted version where this sensor doesn't work, and it spreads soap fucking everywhere
>>
File: 1444702944309.jpg (101 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1444702944309.jpg
101 KB, 399x388
>>54072263
Dryers are fucking disgusting
>let's save the Earth by getting rid of low-energy, 100% recyclable paper rolls and replacing them with extremely noisy, energy-inefficient germ blowing devices that completely contradict the entire concept of bathroom hygiene
>>
File: 1452454103127.jpg (463 KB, 1000x1300) Image search: [Google]
1452454103127.jpg
463 KB, 1000x1300
>>54075552
>paper towels
>100% recyclable

Every time paper and cardboard are recycled, the fibers get shorter. Paper towels are already the shittiest grade of paper with the shortest fibers.

Besides, energy use doesn't matter unless you let a bunch of hippies control energy policy.
>>
>>54075607
paper towels could be higher quality if Industrial Hemp was allowed in America.

Industrial hemp would provide access to more paper at a much much more faster pace than regular trees.

Also, hemp is a natural pesticide so insects that love eating farm corps would die from consuming hemp.
>>
>>54075552
If you even flush the toilet without the lid down you blow bacteria fucking everywhere.

Common bathroom hygiene is a joke.
>>
>be bacteria
>really like moist, dark and warm place
>used to live on anon's hand
>anon washes his hand and evicts me
>anon uses hand dryer
>washed away into the hand dryer
>hand dryer is also moist, dark, and warm
>settle here from now
>start multiplying
>another anon comes by and uses the hand dryer
>hand dryer blows all your friends onto the anon's hand
hand dryers are a meme. don't use them.
support the paper industry. believe it or not, the paper industry plants so much trees that they have a negative carbon footprint.
>>
>>54075640

DUDE
>>
>>54075848

Your post doesnt makes sense because you evict the bacteria with soap and water, not the dryer.
>>
>>54075944
1. bacteria still is floating in the water even after you wash it
2. even if your hand is perfectly clean, bacteria in the dust lands inside the dryer and starts creating biofilm and colonies inside it and will blow bacteria to your hands
>>
>>54074462
Lmao so you're saying I shouldn't take ibuprofen or acetaminophen when I have a sore throat and I should just ride out the pain? Throat ulcers are fucking terrible and the only wrong I'm doing is hurting my liver. Fuck my liver, m8, when just existing hurts enough to contemplate suicide, I think some pain meds are justified.

Also ur a cuck
>>
>>54075848
>>hand dryer is also moist
wot
I guess ovens are wet and damp because they can dry shit out?
>>
>>54076093
are you saying hand dryers are as hot as ovens are?
>>
>>54075994
Do you know what soap does to their membranes? Or why antibac soaps are a meme? Hint, it's largely the same reason.
>>
>>54076124
Something that dries your hand by blowing hot air onto it isn't going to get moist you fucking retard.
>>
>>54073672
I live in a farm too and I'm allergic to grass
Explain this
>>
>>54076157
not every part in the dryer is dry you dipshit. have you even seen a dryer? the part that collects your water is flooded.
>>
>>54072385
>>Welcome to 4chan
>>
>>54076229
>part that collects your water
What the fuck kind of dryer are you talking about? Most industrial hand dryers are just a fucking blower sticking out of the wall pointing down with nothing under them.
>>
>>54076207
youre a bitch
>>
>>54074079
Properly maintained first world restrooms are often the cleanest places, more clean than, say, restaurants, since they get sprayed down in industrial strength disinfectant every day.
>>
>>54074436
There's nothing wrong with rotating cloth as long as the machine is disinfecting that shit with bleach and UV.
>>
>>54072360
tfw have to wash my hands because of my job
>>
Air dryers aren't meant to prevent the spread of germs they're just there so the company doesn't have to refill paper towels.
>>
Huh. Last one I used, can't remember where but it was only a few days ago, there was a little product note on top saying that it didn't spread germs because of some reason I forget. I think it said something about a micro filter or mesh, something mechanical/physical.
>>
File: chrome-front.jpg (9 KB, 226x250) Image search: [Google]
chrome-front.jpg
9 KB, 226x250
Fuck those Dyson over-engineered pieces of shit.

Fuck paper towel dispensers where you have to touch a crank to make the towels come out.

Fuck paper towel dispensers where you have to PULL down on the towel and because your hands are wet, you ALWAYS tear off a little piece.

Give me a simple paper towel dispenser or pic related.
>>
>>54076564
Rotating cloth just unrolls a clean roll of cloth and rolls it up into another used roll.

They take the roll out and clean it. It's not like the cloth just continually rotates around.
>>
>>54072263
Throw a UV light in it. Done.
>>
>>54076646
>It's not like the cloth just continually rotates around.
Not common at all where I live, but the ones I've seen are exactly like that, actually.
>>
>>54076635
It's probably a load of bullshit. Air dryers are in a moist area where people take a dump and they're difficult to clean so they basically just sit around gathering mold and bacteria.
>>
Just think of all the restaurants that use air dryers and how people that prepare your food might be drying their hands with them.
>>
>>54072263
Who cares, they're fast
>>
>>54072360
>>54074462
I thought your body just needs to be introduced to a bacteria, in order to produce antibodies for it. As in how large of a quantity of bacteria it encounters is irrelevant.
If this is truly the case, then why not minimize the amount of bacteria taken in to avoid becoming ill?

>sanitize everything
>wash your hands 40 times a day

Even this won't kill 100% of bacteria, it just limits the amount you would come into contact with.
>>
>>54076794
Not really, paper towels are faster and cleaner, plus you can use them to pull the door open as you leave. Businesses just don't want to pay for the towels and some of them want to be able to plaster the "Green Friendly" shit everywhere.
>>
>>54076781
When I've worked in restaurants, I've cleaned my hands in the kitchen, not the bathroom. Half the time I didn't dry my hands either, just shook the water off, because I'm in a hurry, and a kitchen is a pretty hot place, your hands will get dry very quickly.
>>
>>54076833
So that's why my tortillas are always wet from Taco Bell.
>>
>>54072628
>Not being able to go to the local shop without visiting the toilet
Are you 85, a woman or gay?
>>
File: engineer.jpg (36 KB, 400x460) Image search: [Google]
engineer.jpg
36 KB, 400x460
>>54072263
Dyson is the Apple equivalent of all things blowing air:
Overdesigned and overpriced, yet functional flaws everywhere.
This is what happens when you do "form over function".

I had a gf who was like that - if it's not aesthetically pleasing, it had to be thrown away or hidden.
She kept blewing wall warts by wrapping them in thick cloth and putting them in decorative boxes.
And she never knew why stuff stopped working when it was 'smelly plastic' time again.
That was when I realized there are fully grown and educated adults running around to whom the very concept of logic is alien - it's all experience, no actual thinking involved.
>>
>>54076276
>What the fuck kind of dryer are you talking about?
The kind of hand dryers this thread is about.
>>
>>54076276
dyson airblades you fucking nigger
>>
These have nothign to do with germs and have all to do with saving paper
>>
>>54072263
>Fuck I thought Dyson were the good guys.

What made you think that?

It's one of the most Jewish company in existence.
Constantly suing the competition and blocking technological advancements.
>>
>>54075091
it has, slowly.

>Since 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) have approved several bacteriophage products. LMP-102 (Intralytix) was approved for treating ready-to-eat (RTE) poultry and meat products. In that same year, the FDA approved LISTEX (developed and produced by Micreos) using bacteriophages on cheese to kill Listeria monocytogenes bacteria, giving them generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status.[27] In July 2007, the same bacteriophage were approved for use on all food products.[28] In 2011 USDA confirmed that LISTEX is a clean label processing-aid and is included in USDA.[29] Research in the field of food safety is continuing to see if lytic phages are a viable option to control other food-borne pathogens in various food products.
>In 2011 the FDA cleared the first bacteriophage-based product for in vitro diagnostic use.[30] The KeyPath MRSA/MSSA Blood Culture Test uses a cocktail of bacteriophage to detect Staphylococcus aureus in positive blood cultures and determine methicillin resistance or susceptibility. The test returns results in about 5 hours, compared to 2–3 days for standard microbial identification and susceptibility test methods. It was the first accelerated antibiotic susceptibility test approved by the FDA.
>>
>>54072263
It also has UV light on while blowing hot air so germs is really not an issue.

Kek millenials afraid of germs, enjoy your asthma and weak immunity fags
>>
>>54077466
>saving paper

More saving on the labor costs of constantly having to replace the towels.
>>
>>54076643
>touch a crank

>touch a shit stained crank hundreds of people touched before with their shit stained hands.

Luckily it's not the 1970's, and we have electronic sensors.
>>
>>54077492
I'd be more afraid of UV light than germs.

>>54077527
Stuff in bathrooms has some of the worst sensors ever.
>>
>>54075091
>If you read any science fiction novels in the 1900s for example, there is almost no mention of antibiotics.
Oh really?! Maybe because the word didn't exist for half of the 20th Century.
>>
File: 1450294010462.jpg (23 KB, 352x395) Image search: [Google]
1450294010462.jpg
23 KB, 352x395
>>54072360
>wash my hands when I get home from work/school.
>wash my hands before I eat.
>wash my hands before after I shit.

get sick at most once a year.
>>
>>54077537
>I'd be more afraid of UV light than germs.
Uhh, don't go outside then...
>>
>>54077537
Short exposure to uv doesnt penetrate the skin
>>
>>54077537
>afraid of UV light

Yep, that's /g/
>>
>>54072263
Propaganda from the hand paper towel industry.
>>
>>54073565
Fuck off, corporate shill.
>>
>>54077614
Who owns Dyson? The Dyson family!
Who owns the paper and pulp mills? Corporate stooges, that's who!

Fuck Big Pulp and the Forestry-Industrial Complex!
>>
>>54074462
>Medication for every little trivial ouchie (ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol etc)

Except you don't get painkiller resistance (typically), and it certainly isn't a societal problem of everyone becoming painkiller resistant.

The antibiotic apocalypse is a real big problem, but don't conflate other things with it.
>>
>>54074731
>hur fudburhufuhr
Unless you're fucking bitches with STIs, sex doesn't make your dick permanently dirty.

You have sex, you have a shower, your dick is clean, you put it away until next time.
You touch things, you wash your hands, your hands are clean, until you touch something else.

One of these things happens a lot more than the other one.
>>
>>54078204
>antibiotic apocalypse is a real big problem
Big Pharma should have never teamed up with Big Farmer.
>>
>>54072359
>at the height of a small child’s face.

So what? Childhood is the best time for training immune systems.
>>
>>54074436
Man, I haven't seen one of those in ages.
>>
>>54073625
Occupancy sensors don't work that well.
Self-cleaning bathrooms are limited to 1 person at a time. That way you can guarantee that you're not giving someone a tan.

Also what would eliminate mold growth in your shower is fixing your goddamn roof and ventilating the steam after you use it.
>>
>>54073172
Nothing of value will be lost.
>>
>>54072263
>washing your hands after using the toilet.

you guys are getting meme'd hard.
>>
File: 4L_Fsn0nmfU.jpg (12 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
4L_Fsn0nmfU.jpg
12 KB, 268x188
>>54072448
Don't eat dirt, like if you ingest a little dirt its fine but i recently read about some pregnant bitch who ate dirt and she got a brain parasite

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2015/10/05/dont-eat-dirt/#1c568cd45e35
>>
>>54072832
The funny thing is their prices aren't even that low anymore. They got people hooked on the idea they're the lowest, and then have slowly been jacking up the prices for years.
>>
>>54074462
It really grinds my gears when people get antibiotics for colds. Which is caused by a virus. Stop fucks pester doctors until medical professionals cave because the patient will complain on yelp and get business elsewhere.
>>
>>54075052
My primary school had one of these and so did the place I last worked at. It's one really long roll of cloth that you can pull down to get some new cloth while the used part rolls back into the cover. Once it runs out it has to be taken out and washed, it doesn't just start over once the towel ends.
>>
>Normal skin flora moving around

wow its fucking nothing
Right now there are more "germs" in your body than own cells.
>>
>>54078948
The point is your secretions keep their populations in check.
>>
>>54078972
In the skin? Like fuck, the skin is free game for bacteria.

Most bacterial infections are opportunistic, you dont "get" a bacteria and get sick most of the time.>>54078972
>>54078972
>>
>>54079029
Fucking clover mane
>>
>>54072385
yeah fuck me daddy
>>
>>54072263
I work at an airport and these are everywhere. Fucking christ I want to start wearing a mask at work.
>>
File: 1460584259865_0.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460584259865_0.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
>>54079029
I get what you mean by opportunistic. They get somewhere that they do real well in, experience explosive growth, and wreck shit there. eg Gut Flora will ruin your day if they get into the spinal fluid.
Meanwhile, if your skin is free game, then a damp, warm environment without the big dumb ape dumping *ases on you all the time has got to be Golden Corral on national burger day.
>>
>>54074462
>tfw hardly ever wash my hands
>tfw literally never sick
>>
>>54072263

>Fuck I thought Dyson were the good guys. Will they ever design one of these things that is actually hygienic and works?
>Dyson
>Good
>Ever

Yes, the company that sells a $400 bagless upright that's beat out by machines HALF its price in actual real-world performance, makes a $300 desk fan with the same motor as their $400 vacuum, and thinks your LED lights need heat-pipe cooling are the good guys.
They're an aesthetics design company that make a decent electric turbine design and now over-charge for it. They're the Apple of things that blow. Which they aren't even that, because ask anyone with a 13" Retina Pro, Apple's great at making things that move a lot of air and don't do as much as something half it's price.
>>
>blows 1300x more than paper towels

TIL paper towels blow
>>
>>54079096
Pretty sure it's standard in most airports these days. Can't be too careful with ebolatic human-immuno SARS virus.
>>
Thanks guys, like I needed a bigger paranoia than washing my hands after washing my asshole, now I might get some gloves for that alone.
>>
>>54072628
Air dryers are pretty comfy. I think what is most likely the biggest problem with the dyson design is that it must be installed lower. It's easy access for children to sneeze and wipe their grubby little paws all over.
>>
>>54074183
I feel like I got dumber reading this.
>>
>>54074616
People got sick because of farm animals living in cities, mixing of sewage and drinking water, and non-existent vaccines, and undercooked food. Not because they didn't wash their hands several times a day or clean all their surfaces.
>>
>>54079098
Bacteria reaching CSF is pretty rare tho.
But think about the respiratory tract: Upper part has a lot of bacteria while the lower part is kept strerile. Something will stop properly working eventually (inmunossupression, an acumulation of mucus, aspiration of fluids...) and you probably will get an infection.

All these paranoid folks are carrying trillions of bacteria with them and can do nothing about it. That was my point, untouchability is inhuman.
>>
>>54072263
I touch bird shit at work daily from dozens of different types of wild birds.
I come into contact with rodents, dog shit, tear branches from trees that get in my way and pull up weeds that are being a nuisance.

I have a bad habit of biting things or using my mouth to hold my pen or some other minor object while my hands are switching between tasks.

I probably consume a ridiculous amount of bacteria and likely have some type of parasite at this point.

Though I do wash my hands really well when I stop to piss, which happens about 15 times a day because I drink a shitton of water.
>>
>>54079323
Point being, that the last thing I'm worried about is the blow dryer throwing a few germs at me from my own filthy hands.
Considering what I do with them already.
>>
Why are people using hand driers in the first place when your hands dry within minutes either way?
>>
File: untouchable.jpg (25 KB, 369x238) Image search: [Google]
untouchable.jpg
25 KB, 369x238
>>54079262
>untouchability is inhuman
Indians confirmed for inhuman.
>>
>>54079262
Right, but consider probabilities. 100% effectiveness of a system is pretty hard to achieve. That's why we build into redundancy. We have, like, five different DNA polymerases all letting only one in a million errors slip by them checking DNA. 0.000001% of 0.000001%... and you get a mutation, which could still end up in the vast non coding/regulatory regions of the genome.
If there's something that can be done for free (in the sense of burden to you) it ought to be done. Paper towel or >>54076643 is where it's at.
>>
>>54072263
>muh germs
you people are such faggots
>>
>>54079579
Of course, you should regularly wash your hands and mantain higiene. Pushing your luck is just a stupid thing to do.

But paper vs air dryer vs snowflake dryers is a stupid discussion. Its the same with every matter in every board. People has a fixation with minor things (muh supplements f.e.)
>>
>>54079664
But that's what makes it fun. Thanks for the chat, anon.
>>
It's just a shame humanity is fucking retarded, otherwise we could have paper towels in public bathrooms and not have people fail to use them properly.
>>
>>54073804

it sounded to me like someone was trying to make an excuse for being a general lard-ass
>>
File: manlet-zone.png (790 KB, 1108x938) Image search: [Google]
manlet-zone.png
790 KB, 1108x938
>>54072263
>http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/04/dyson-hand-dryer-spreads-virus-germs/

don't worry guys, it's only a concern for manlets

based dyson, cleaning the genepool.
>>
All the faggots on this thread contradicting each other. I don't even wash my hands after using the bathroom. Get on my level.
>>
The air blades i've used have some kind of UV light thats supposed to kill bacteria or something.

Guess it's an optional feature?
>>
>>54081166
>I don't even wash my hands after using the bathroom

You are the reason I wash my hands with soap.
>>
>>54081166
good thing nobody will ever willingly touch you
>>
>>54072360
you forgot
>develop retarded allergies

BAN ASSAULT PEANUT BUTTER
>>
File: 1422151599582.jpg (34 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
1422151599582.jpg
34 KB, 601x695
>>54072360
oh shit that does that mean I'm disgusting
>>
Those ones are old anyway.

They have a new V model that has no "catch" and just werks.

Also one built into a tap.
>>
>>54072263
>Bah we grew up in the 2000's with air hand dryers, none of us died!
>"Grandpa 2010 was 47 years ago"
>>
>>54075545
how fucking weak are your wrists
>>
>>54081338
CTS on both hands
>>
>put dick in one of these things
>came in <10 seconds

shit is cash mang
>>
I don't care, it dries my hands, and that's what it is made for
>>
I never found a proper explanation for this:

So what exactly could happen if you are exposed to a lot of germs? Like what kind of sickness could you actually get? Okay, if someone has a cold or something I guess you could get that but what could you get from a healthy person? Let's say in the fast food restauraunt a patty is dropped on the dirty floor and then put on your burger. What could that result in?

Also: how exactly do germs spread and for how long? Do they stay on one spot? Do they spread out? Do they multiply?

And just how much germs are there everywhere? I mean you don't sanitize your laptop after you typed on it with dirty fingers outside? Don't you sometimes use your laptop in bed? Or your phone? Should you wash your clothes immediatly after coming home? Should you even try out clothes in clothing shops since others tried them on too? Also I heard you should change your towel like daily.

And lastly how do you remove all the harmful bacteria after contact with something gross? Does the normal soap really get rid of it? If not what soap does?
>>
OP, you just washed your hands before you out them in there and so did everyone else unless you're in middle school. I have OCD and a germ phobia and I'm not this picky and worried about a fucking hand dryer. You ever got sick from using one? No. Me either.
>>
>>54081759
strong DNase and RNase work well on organisms
>>
>>54081500
>it dries my hands

No they don't.

>>54081860
>You ever got sick from using one
I got chickenpox from the older ones.
>>
>>54081860
>You ever got sick from using one? No. Me either.

How can you know? It's not like you get sick right away.
>>
why are they so high?
i don't have 6inch jonny
>>
>>54072263
These things have been around for years in Japan and Dyson easily has the worst one I've ever used. The space is too small and it does a terrible job of actually drying your hands.
>>
>>54072435
Antibacterial soaps are a meme. Soap in itself has antibacterial properties.
>>
People wanting to sanitize everything is the reason Western kids are so weak and frail. You need to be exposed to germs for a healthy life, within reason.
>>
>>54076663
Well, yeah, they're a great idea IF they're maintained properly. Unfortunately, people are lazy, so stuff that requires high maintenance doesn't get the maintenance unless you can afford to throw money at it.
>>
>>54073525
omg but anon 1600x germs!!!!111

fuck's sake grow an immune system, that's what it's for.
>>
>>54075545
the IR soap dispensers are retarded, especially when the sensor is built into the surface of the table or the sink and not the dispenser body.
>>
>>54072263
Does anyone else just dry their hands on their pants like me?
>>
>>54072263
Obviously
Its a meme don't know what they were thinking
Even sometimes the air will push unevenly because your hand is too close and your hand wil touch the sides if not the putrid bottom
Airblade V is pretty dope thoughl
>>
>>54072360
this desu
I never used soap in my life (only water) and I'm never sick
>>
>>54083536
>>
>>54082717
This. Fuck blow dryers.
>>
>>54081759
you literally can't "get rid" of the bacteria, but what you can do is culture your own body microorganisms so that they can compete with invading ones.

so don't use antibacterial soap and don't compulsively wash your hands unless you absolutely need to (working in foodservice or whatev). The bacteria that grow naturally on you are your first line of defense.
>>
>>54081405
Underrated post
>>
>>54075640
This is true.
>>
>>54078888

kek

also nice quads
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.