[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electric Cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Tesla Model S.jpg (220 KB, 2100x1386) Image search: [Google]
Tesla Model S.jpg
220 KB, 2100x1386
http://www.scofen.com/categories/most-awesome-electric-cars

Is tesla really that good?
>>
>>53771883
Not gonna lie, but they're pretty good. They're dead quiet apart from wind noise and the very faint motor whine, but they only seem loud because the car is just so quiet. The ride is a little bit hard for my tastes and the handling isn't on par with a BMW 5 series, but it will roast an M5 in a straight line from a standing start.
The build quality is a letdown for the price, though. It's the only real complaint that I'd have if I was going to put down my own money towards owning a Tesla. And the seats aren't the most comfortable, especially the back seats which are too much like a park bench than the nicely bolstered cushions you'd find on an S-Class or even a Hyundai Equus.
>>
I went to a charity event where guys were giving rides in their fancy motors to raise cash for cancer.

First car I got a ride in was an 800hp Audi RS6 and the acceleration was brutal.

Second car I got a ride in was a 600hp Nissan GTR. Which is known for getting the power down and it's mad acceleration.

Third car I got a ride in was a Tesla. Climbed in and it was like sitting in the future. Like everything we'd been promised from sci-fi books and film. And then the driver mashed the pedal on the floor. We took off like a rocket and there was absolute silence bar the road noise coming through the tyres and faint motor whine. It was so quick, so effortless and nearly absolute silence.

The GTR and RS6 were putting down equal amounts of torque to their BHP figures, but the way it was delivered it was so different. The RS6 was an older C6 (I think that's it's identifier) so was using an old auto slush box torque converter, or what Audi calls "tiptronic". And you could feel when the car should have been changing gear, but due to the software and whatever else it was slightly delayed. The GTR was much much quicker with the flappy paddles, but gave a hard jerk every time it changed up. The Tesla just went. No delay. No jerkiness. Smooth as silk. It's hard to explain unless you've ridden in one, or compared back to back. I walked away thinking "holy fuck that was awesome". It just kept you pinned to the seat until we hit top speed and then started to run out of runway.

If I could afford one, I'd have one. But there's absolutely nowhere to charge the things here except your home.
>>
>>53772329
>or what Audi calls "tiptronic"

it's multitronic according to wiki.
>>
>>53772329
I'm not even sure if the Tesla has a multi-forward geared transmission. I think it's a simple one-speed, which explains why you never experience it shift. The lack of engine noise really threw me off about the power delivery, because it makes it feel almost as if the car was being pushed forward by the vengeful fist of God.

Did you notice any juttering when the car went over rough patches of road? I did, but I'm not sure if it's because the car was an early model or if the suspension had been altered.
>>
>>53771883
electric cars could be awesome because an electric motor delivers maximum torque at stall which means your passengers will be picking their teeth out of their throat when you pull away.
there is no clutch slip, no rev problems, no turbo lag no nothing.

tesla as a car i think is stupid as fuck because they have a huge screen in the middle. i don't want to drive a computer i want to drive a car. whats on the screen like sat nav or something? no thanks i know where i'm going. on a sidenote all satnav should have a function: take me to x but i know how to get to y so only give me directions from there or something similar.

they have fucking firmware updates and you can't drive your car for 30 minutes during? fuck off absolutely pointless.
cruise control? ok fine. braking for me because i'm too busy texting? tailgating the car infront and steering within the lines because i'm taking a nap? fuck off.

batteries need a rethink too. we need gas stations for electric cars that use a robot to swap your battery pack for a charged one in under 30 seconds rather than some dumb chargepoint that takes ages.

the ideal would be an electric motor for takeoff/regenerative breaking/city driving and then a petrol (diesel i suppose but yuck) engine for open roads. like hybrid busses and shit.
>>
>>53772541

It was an event held on a runway. The car owners run the event to give their fancy motors some abuse and make it a charity event to raise some cash. So everything was pretty smooth out on the strip.

Harsh rides been a problem with a lot of premium brand models from Audi, BMW and Mercedes for several years now. They cheap out on offering a spare wheel, or include it as an optional extra and fit the car with run flats and a tube of goo you squirt into the wheel to seal it until you make it to a garage. Been on plenty of owner forums were the first thing they do is get the run flats switched for some proper rubber. So it's possible the one you were in was on run flats.
>>
>>53772649
I don't think it was the tires causing the car to shutter, that seems more like a suspension dampening issue. I drove one in Manhattan during the springtime where the potholes were at their worst. Every pothole would cause the whole frame to twist and vibrate unlike a 5-series or E-Class. I've never experienced anything that jarring except in a cheap Fiat Punto rental in Europe. The owner did do something with his suspension or his tires, so that might have been the cause, but the whole car felt like it was going to shake itself apart.
>>
Aside from the poor build quality, tesla motors makes a very fine car. Its the little things that make all the difference, my favorite feature is the INSTANT hvac and window defrosters. Those cars can unfog a windshield within 5 seconds of starting the car, the defroster is hot and ready in seconds.
>>
>>53772553

> i don't want to drive a computer i want to drive a car. whats on the screen like sat nav or something?

Way to show you know nothing about the car while simultaneously criticizing it.

>they have fucking firmware updates and you can't drive your car for 30 minutes during? fuck off absolutely pointless.

Yes, because it's better for a feature to be omitted altogether rather than be added later, and it's TOTALLY better to have to go to a dealership and sit in the waiting room with your thumb up your ass for two hours while they fix a software defect rather than have it updated OTA. You giant retard.
>>
>>53772870
you know how many software updates i needed on my current car?
you know how many cars ever need software updates?
0%

>feature omitted
so you can play candy crush in traffic? fuck off. what features did they add? why do you need to add features to a car the truth is you don't. if you need the car to drive for you maybe take the bus
>>
>>53772329

The tesla doesn't have gears. The other cars do.
>>
>>53773519

>you know how many software updates i needed on my current car?
>0.
>you know how many cars ever need software updates?
>0%

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

>Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

>As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

How does it feel to be completely, 100%, dead fucking wrong?

>so you can play candy crush in traffic? fuck off. what features did they add?

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/10/tesla-model-s-7-1-firmware-update-adds-new-feature-videos/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/tesla-model-s-improves-with-another-over-the-air-update/index.htm

Check yourself. You don't know anything about this, and it's time you accepted that instead of shooting your mouth off on the internet.
>>
>>53773519
>you know how many cars ever need software updates?
Jeep did. So did VW. So did Volvo. So did Jaguar. So did Honda.
>>
>>53773605
are you dumb?
i said how many cars needed updates

you posted links about computers. these are not cars, these are computers. this is exactly what i am against, unecessary shit in cars (and life) adding features that you don't need that just add points of failure like you showed.

if you can't work out if you are going to make it to your destination, reverse park without a camera never mind fucking guide lines you shouldn't be allowed a license.
oh wow the end call button on the steering wheel now ends calls? fantastic.
>>
>>53773836
With modern fuel systems computers are a requirement. Jesus Christ. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>53773836

Hey guys! Look at this faggot. He still uses carburettors.
>>
>>53773836

Next, you'll complain about automatic transmission. Because, if you can't shift on your own, you don't deserve a license!

Or traction control. Because, if you don't notice that patch of black ice, you deserve to lose control of your car and cause a pileup!

Or calculators. Because, if you need a computer to do math for you, you don't deserve to know the answer!

You ignorant piece of shit. Even setting aside the utility these features have for regular, average people, think of the utility to the disabled, who can't drive at all now, or the elderly, who are now housebound because they can't drive anymore, or the drunk person who would otherwise try to drive home and run over someone's kid.

The world isn't all about you, you stupid shitter. Get some perspective.
>>
>>53773519
Nobody is going to be impressed that you are driving some old as fuck in-efficient pre OBD vehicle.

Even my subaru, which has a normal ECU and no fancy infotainment system needed an ECU firmware update to fix a TSB a couple years ago.
>>
as someone who sepnt 4 years on /g/
then 4 years on /o/
and is on a visit back to /g/

these cars are amazing
though i went to the showroom and had a look and feel and they seem cheap on the inside, opposite to a s class that they compete with price wise

however the silence and way they put down the power is amazing

would purchase

electric cars are the future, i like the way the car has been designed to look somewhat generic, its not a bad thing, keeps it understated and classy
>>
>>53773903
>>53773927
>>53773962
ECU is the same as a computer that you can connect to wireless and control everything in a car from

no, ecu isn't a general purpose computer.

>>53773948
no i won't
>>
>>53771883
Volkswagen still tried to cheat on the emissions tests.
>>
>>53774156
What the fuck are you talking about? My car cannot connect to the OBD system or anything for that matter without physically plugging in a scanner to the port.

It needed a software update.

You need to learn about the bullshit you are spewing because you are going to get called out very quickly.
>>
>>53774339
what is your fucking problem exactly?

i tried to make my point as follows:
1 computers in cars are a stupid idea.
2 i don't consider ecu for monitoring emissions or controlling intake as a computer as stated in 1 because its not general purpose.

my initial post was that tesla was a stupid car because it has a big fancy touch screen computer to run the car and updates to play with phone buttons make the car undriveable.
these systems shouldn't be reliant on each other or combined like this because it leads to problems like hacking of vehicles which was supposed to make me look like an idiot but i think we just misunderstand each other.

the ecu should control the engine. it shouldn't be linked to a button on the dash that answers the phone. linking everything together in a car seems like a great idea right because it means you have to plug into one socket instead of 3 or 4 to diagnose at the dealership. well you combine things like this and add over the air updates and you open yourself to vulnerabilities, especially when car companies use closed source firmware and obscurity for security it benefits nobody and is dangerous.

>My car cannot connect to the OBD system
what is your car a tesla i can only assume because thats what was mentioned earlier.
well you can't drive it when its updating the software?
you can't use then engine while updating the entertainment system? but these two are not linked apparently? either way its stupid.
>>
>>53774557
>i don't consider
Nobody gives a fuck what you consider. An ECU is a computer. Electronic fuel injection has been around since the late 50s. Modern cars require all sorts of computation to run as intended. Otherwise they do fuck all and go nowhere. Deal with it cocksucker.

The fact some manufacturers do not separate the engine computer from the infotainment computer does not negate the fact that they are both computer systems. But given that people enjoy seeing all sorts of readouts from the engine computer, it's a given that it's going to end up integrated with the infotainment and heads up systems.
>>
>>53774673
why are you so aggressive anon?
modern cars don't require much computation at all. for example when there is a fault and it switches into limp home mode an engine will run with what, a throttle lookup? big whoop.

people enjoying readouts from the big screen has nothing to do with the engine management, you think an engine management system cares if its dash output is working? you think it has time to care? it might not have much to do but it has to do it it very fucking quickly. a fault in the speedo or rev counter or literally any other engine parameter being displayed by an interface should cause the engine to shut down?
what a terrible idea.
>>
>>53773948
If your car has air conditioning or electronic windows you can just admit ur a little bitch.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.