[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zen won't flop. That's the thing. Jim Keller designed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 16
File: amd zen.png (365 KB, 1024x855) Image search: [Google]
amd zen.png
365 KB, 1024x855
Zen won't flop. That's the thing. Jim Keller designed the freaking thing. If Zen flops, it will be the first time, in Keller's entire career, that a product of his under-delivers. From DEC to Broadcom, to Apple to AMD to Tesla. He's left a trail of successes which have pushed the industry, as a whole, forward.

Intel QPI, PCIe.
AMD Hypertransport
All derived from his work at DEC on the Alpha.

AMD x86-64
AMD K7/K8
Apple A4/5
Are also his work.

I'd be more surprised if it flopped than I would be if it succeeded.
>>
>>53732774
Did he work on PRISM?
>>
>>53732774
his architecture might be great but there's a lot of other shit that can go wrong.
I'd love for zen to be good but as long as I don't see any results, I don't form an opinion on it.
>>
>>53732934

>there's a lot of other shit that can go wrong

such as?
>>
Is zen gonna have an APU scheme?
>>
It won't fail only and ONLY if AMD has given him free reign over the project.

Because AMD management is notorious for choking projects with awful corporate decisions regardless of how good the engineers are.
>>
>>53732997
Nope, there will also be a line without iGPU that's supposed to destroy intel Core i line at price/performance.
>>
>>53732774
>Jim Keller
Confirmed shit wrecker
>>
File: bored.png (220 KB, 892x895) Image search: [Google]
bored.png
220 KB, 892x895
>>53733117
>>
it won't flop it just won't be faster than intel.

amd has already admitted performance estimates of zen. zen will launch around haswell - broadwell level of single threaded performance.

this will be fantastic because amd will have finally caught back up to intel in terms of performance. it wont cause an exodus of intel users over to amd like the athlon 64 days. however it will bring back the athlon xp days where intel and amd were near polarity. amd in terms of market share and growth will be in a much better situation.

whats going to come down to is how much amd can continue to innovate after kellers involvement. once polarity is achieved can amd supersede intel after zen?

given the latest news about intel forgoing their tick-tock mantra, this gives amd a great opportunity to supersede after zen. only if amd doesn't run into similar barriers that intel has.
>>
>>53733173
pretty much this. although people who buy AMD don't mind a minor decrease in CPU performance.

if we get a comparable arch, except without the locked FSB, huge chipset license costs, new sockets every 2 years and a more SoC like design the comparative weakness of Zen will be compensated by its cost efficiency and appeal to gaymers

basically a return to the pre ATI buyout days
>>
6 core APU with 1536 GCN Gen4 shaders and 140W TDP when?
>>
>>53733232
We can't have nice things so never.
>>
>>53733232
>140W TDP
Do you want to start a house fire?
>>
Reminder that Intel can always drop the gpu part of their processor and provide moar cores, if need be.
FFS, it's almost half of the silicon.
>>
>>53733284
No, everything under 250W is manageable, and I don't want to loose performance and clocks for a few watts so it can fit under 100W
>>
>>53732774
>Jim Keller
One guy doesn't make or break an entire architecture.
AMD was lacking behind severly, partially due to the manufacturing process which they should be somewhat on par with intel now, everything else just time will show.
But it will most likely not flop nearly as hard as bulldozer.
>>
>>53733291
>Reminder that Intel can always drop the gpu part of their processor and provide moar cores, if need be.
They already do that. Its called a 2011 processor.
>>
>>53733157
Jim "Shit Wrecker" Keller
>>
>>53733099
When is this coming? I need an upgrade from my FX6300 and I don't want to go Intel because I'll have to reinstall/reactivate windows
>>
>>53733291
Yes, it's called extreme edition platform.
Reminder that without the iGPU intel quicksync, realtime, WiDi and a bunch of other GPU dependent stuff.
>>
>>53733099
With dx 12 and other new apis actually making use of multi core cpus, there is a chance zen will actually outperform i7 cpus in games
>>
>>53733336
Shit-wrekeller?
>>
>>53733343
Let's be honest here, nobody uses these features.
Now what's interesting is that they could sell a 6/8 core cpu at the same price as a 4 core now.
>>
JIM "INTEL DEAD IN THE CELLAR" KELLER
>>
speculation time

if AMD isn't lying out of its ass then it'll be something like ~90% as good as kaby lake, single threaded AND concurrent, similar core count at similar price ranges (they're not making that mistake again)

any AMD chip will have an unlocked multiplier though, that means with a decent cooler and a nominal OC it'll beat any equivalent i3/5/7

also, Zen implements even more of the chipset on die than Intel's products, meaning the motherboards will cost less as a result, and have much longer lifespans seeing as AM4 won't be obsolete nearly as quickly as Intel's tick-tock bullshit

AMD can pick up some of the market it lost by treating its customers better than Intel, and if we're lucky the latter will be more inclined to change its business ethics as a result

>>53733284
that's actually pretty conservative if the iGPU is that beefy

>>53733291
filling the space with more Haswell cores drives the cost up (eg X99 price range), I'm sure their iGPUs have relatively low transistor counts and amazing yields.

plus, their main line of business is NOT gamers

>>53733371
no reason to believe that. Zen is not Piledriver.
>>
Keller doesn't even work for AMD anymore and they pushed the release date to Q4 2016. Zen will be a flop just like Bulldozer. Also, if Zen is AMD's last secret weapon, then they are fucked after that.
>>
>>53733232
I'd jizz all over my dad's dick if that happened.

Once HBM becomes more affordable, we'll see very powerful APUs. Until then, hopefully Bristol Ridge APUs have 768 or even 1024 CUs.
>>
>>53733479
Please consider reading up on the basics before making an ass out of yourself.
>>
>>53733449
That one is actually pretty funny. Well done.

>>53733479
He was hired for project (zen), he finished it and moved on.
Thats how he rolls.
>>
>Can't even compete against NVIDIA on even grounds
>Expecting Zen to even make a dent on Intel supremacy
>>
>>53733466
> there is no reason to believe that

Dx12 benchmarks show current amd cpus competing toe to toe with intel. Cant find the image though. It showed a huge performance leap vs dx 11
>>
At worst, Zen is going to be a mediocre competitor to the i7's that's still reasonably close.
>>
>>53733498
Explain

>>53733506
Why would they move the release date all the way to Q4? That's a sign that it's not reaching expectations. Also, supposedly he was working on mobile chips anyway.
>>
>>53733604
You don't know a lot about product development, do you?
>>
>>53733506
>He was hired for project (zen), he finished it and moved on.
>Thats how he rolls.
Leaving a path of destruction and wrecked shit in his path
>>
>>53733622
No
>>
The only thing this is is amd catching up after Intel smashed into the x86 wall
>>
>>53733339
October is the date everyone is betting on. You'll have to call MS help line to reactivate windows though, as zen will need a new socket.
>>
>>53733681
Rescheduling the release could have so many reasons that it doesn't even make sense specualting about that.
Oviously it could be that they are not reaching their expectations, but if you are that far down the developement cycle you just gotta roll with it, see bulldozer. They knew it was shit, but they had to release.
But as I said, there are so many other things (manufacturing problems, legal stuff, issues with your supply chain, [...]) that you can't really judge Zen based on that.
>>
>>53733466
>filling the space with more Haswell cores drives the cost up (eg X99 price range), I'm sure their iGPUs have relatively low transistor counts and amazing yields.

Implying you're not just paying their ski resort vacation, along with the whores and cocaine, when you're buying an Extreme Edition/Xeon Processor.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see mainline 6/8 core 'affordable' Intel CPUs pop up as soon as zen is released.
>>
>>53733339
>>53733737
Deactivating the Windows license is easy. In fact, you probably don't even need to do it. You can reuse the license and Windows will automatically flag your hardware signature as the new owner and deactivate the old signature.
>>
>>53733794
>Intel
>"our 14nm process has come a long way with major breakthroughs in yield and fab time
>no we havent been raping you in price because we could lol"
>>
>>53733841
I had to call once for a friend when he switched a whole build from intel to AMD leaving just the old HDD and a couple things more, but so far I haven't had trouble when switching mobos or sockets inside Intel. C2D -> i5 -> i5 in a different mobo and windows 7 never asked to activate, it just worked.
>>
>>53733875
I guess time will tell.
Just don't buy a quad core now, or an overpriced hex core. You may disappointed by the end of the year.
>>
>>53732960

Like can Global Foundries mfg. the thing?
>>
>>53733393
They do, it's called the 5820K
Hell, it's actually about $10 cheaper (than the 6700K)
>>
>>53733993
I'm running a hex 1366 xeon that clocks to the moon, if the motherboard supported better choices for uncore/QPI divisors I'd be able to set it to 4.4Ghz at like 1.32vcore

I won't be buying a new mobo/CPU(and RAM) until Zen and Kaby are used goods anyway.
>>
Who's going to acquire majority stake in AMD when Zen and Polaris are both mediocre? Not even bad gee, they just have to both not be excellent.
>>
>>53732960
FinFET is a garbage ass process and the only reason they've reluctantly moved to it is because they have no other choice

Yields on FF16 are going to be really low to start and it's going to kill per-wafer profit. Only Intel is really hedged against this type of issue with multi-sourcing, and they generally build this issue into their budget for each new node.

AMD doesn't have the cash or the time to fuck this up in any way.
>>
>>53732774
So when will zen finally hit the shelves? I don't want buy a 5820k and a x99 motherboard just to find out that certified shit wrecker's architecure BTFOs what I have. Wat do?
>>
>>53734699
what?

>>53735364
they just need to be "good enough"

it's fucked up but that's how it is

if anybody buys AMD it'll most definitely be for their GPU tech, even Intel wants a slice of that pie. unless Zen is really good their x86 stuff is worthless.

>>53735457
october, could be pushed back
>>
>>53735457
Probably just buy the 5820k. If anything you lose out on say, $100 at worst. Not worth waiting until October to save such a low amount of money.

Zen will match Haswell, not beat it.
>>
Zen is being pushed back because it's shit. Don't make that mistake.

There's a first time for everything, and AMD has a large enough 'drag factor' that makes it so even Keller can't make it good.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (319 KB, 1241x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
319 KB, 1241x1000
>>53732774
a good product does not equal success tho.

amd isnt in the hole because shitty products, its because it has shitty managment,

for example.

Why give away Mantle when it could have been used to overwhelm the opponent? they could have held on to it for longer and basicly been years ahead of the competition.

why not make a new cpu type when the first one failed in 2012? they could have had a new cpu in 2014

why not optimze 28nm gpus instead of hoping for 20nm which never happened. (basicly what Nvidia did with maxwell)

and the biggest fucking issue, why not make HBM amd only?

they could beat the living daylight out of the competition if they would have held on to it, imagine all amd cards being r9 nano sized while the competition had long cards.

they could also incorporate the graphics card directly on to the motherboard or have hbm2 be on the cpu, and the competition would have zero respsonse.

Also they fired all the people that where working with game devs to bring amd optimized games, so it left nvidia alone with their gameworks.

AMD basicly gave it all away. and IF Zen fails (which it might) and nvidia beats AMD with better gpus now in june and when HBM2 arrives, amd is fucking dead forever.

I do hope they survive tho
>>
Im all for Zen but your argument is the same as
>The Titanic wont sink because it has these great minds to design it to be unsinkable
>>
>>53733291
would this actually do anything for performance?
>>
File: itsjustbetter.png (359 KB, 590x399) Image search: [Google]
itsjustbetter.png
359 KB, 590x399
Intel isn't even hungry anymore.
Plz save us AMD
>>
>>53735616
Are you retarded? If you think it's that easy to create a new cpu architecture then maybe you should start your own company. AMD could have released a full sized Steamroller and Excavator but they decided that it wont be profitable.

>and the biggest fucking issue, why not make HBM amd only?
Because it's hard to make at this time and the yields are low.
>>
>>53735616
While AMD was mismanaged, you are also retarded.
>>
>>53735653
No, but it could make the CPUs like $10 cheaper to produce.
>>
>>53735663

dude, its probably NOT easy but a company that makes cpu's surely could?

and yields are low, what does that have to do with anything? they spent god awful amount of money creating it, then nvidia gets to use it for basicly free.

nvidia hasnt put money into developing HBM2 have they?

even if yields are low then why give it away?
>>
>>53735616
>Why give away Mantle when it could have been used to overwhelm the opponent?
because they were not in a position to guarantee widespread adoption. Microsoft and Khronos are

if anything Mantle could have been a tactic to kill the threaded vidya and make Bulldozer more viable.

>why not make a new cpu type when the first one failed in 2012? they could have had a new cpu in 2014
I'd wager only the engineers truly know. in any case, what you're describing is Zen, only two years earlier.

>and the biggest fucking issue, why not make HBM amd only?
because it would be a stain on their reputation. a lot of their business comes from being the "ethical" semiconductor company.

also, like I said earlier, if AMD doesn't give it away, it's extremely likely to go nowhere.

>imagine all amd cards being r9 nano sized while the competition had long cards.
that doesn't mean shit to most people.

>they could also incorporate the graphics card directly on to the motherboard or have hbm2 be on the cpu
for APUs maybe, but why would VRAM not be on your discrete GPU? there's nothing between it and the display
>>
>>53735771
Adding more cores would then add another $20 though. The GPUs are fabbed on a larger process node.
>>
>>53732774
It sure would be nice if AMD made a processor that I would want.
>>
>>53735771
Really?
Imagine how much more cpus they could produce by wafer if they cut the gpu part.
It takes a good 1/3 of the surface area, so we're talking 50% more chips give or take.
Tell me how it would translates to 10% cheaper cpus?
>>
>>53735790
You're also retarded.
The fact that you didn't answer all of the questions with 'That costs money' shows how retarded you are.
Mantle; releasing it into the wild is cheap compared with producing a massive support system yourself ala gameworks
New CPU type in 2 years: Not even intel has this much money, intel takes 5-6 years to make a CPU nowadays.

>HBM AMD only
Fucking money, HBM is too expensive to keep to yourself. This makes sense when you realise that if HBM is open it means that production costs will go down since you don't have to run your own factories- or run licensed ones.
And AMD didn't invent HBM.

>Small cards
EXPENSIVE TO MAKE

The rest:
stupid and expensive
>>
>>53735835
if you are to replace that room with moar coars then you find yourself with lower yields, slower throughput, etc. haswell etc have higher transistor counts than intel's iGPUs

>>53735869
why are you so mad?

>The fact that you didn't answer all of the questions with 'That costs money' shows how retarded you are.
why make the same argument somebody already made? are you such a little bitch every time you're contradicted?

>Mantle; releasing it into the wild is cheap compared with producing a massive support system yourself ala gameworks
you have no fucking idea what Mantle and Gameworks are, don't you? very different things.

let me spell it out for you, AMD can develop the spec, and even license it for a lot of money, but they sure as fuck don't need to implement it in anybody else's drivers. see literally any version of DX ever. no harder for them to "support" than fucking opengl.

>New CPU type in 2 years: Not even intel has this much money, intel takes 5-6 years to make a CPU nowadays.
the "not even intel" quip is bullshit. you can't just throw billions upon billions at your R&D division and expect equivalent results. the implication that Intel is better at it than AMD/globalfoundries just because it's larger makes you sound like a shit brained babby cunt, which you are.

>since you don't have to run your own factories-
holy shit you stupid ass fuck. you don't have to run your own fabs to produce proprietary designs. that shit can be contracted and pretty much always is (see the myriad ARM chip vendors out there). stop talking out of your ass.
>>
>>53735655
The TIM in Haswell Refresh CPUs weren't bad, it's just that the heat spreaders was too far away from the die to be effective. Delidding the CPU gets rid of that extra space by cutting down on the silicone/putty holding the substrate and heat spreader together, thus making the TIM more effective.
The only TIM that's markedly improved over the stock are the liquid metal stuff.
>>
>>53732808
PRISM was a flop, obviously not.
>>
>>53732997
No iGPU first, then APUs in 2017.
>>
>>53736558
But it's still worse than soldering. It's even worse than popular aftermarket thermal compounds. As some board manufacturers are now producing additional socket protection to allow safe usage of CPU without heat spreader, I'm just wondering why we cannot get rid of heat spreaders for PC CPUs same as laptops or graphics cards. It's not that difficult to strengthen the socket to avoid damage from large heatsinks, I mean they can do this even without board manufacturers just by adding old style rubber bands around the CPU.
>>
>>53736944
>It's even worse than popular aftermarket thermal compounds
It performed within a few degrees of Noctua's paste, and those are one of the better performing pastes you can buy. The only stuff that really outperformed the stock TIM was the liquid metal stuff, and those are a) expensive and b) frustrating to deal with post-application. They're also conductive so you run the risk of shorting the CPU with misapplication.
>>
>>53732774
>design apple cpus
>year later apple goes to Intel

Yeah he really succeeded there
>>
>>53733291
Why not just make the CPU bigger?
Seriously. Why are all companies set on making tiny CUPs? Just make a larger one that holds 100 times more than current sizes
>>
>>53732774
It'll be as fast as haswell at base, but it won't be enough most likely
>>
>>53737177
Idiot
>>
>>53737058
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53737192
Thanks for giving me insight on the subject. Your comment was well appreciated
>>
>>53737226
Halfwit.
>>
>>53737177
Yields, price and power consumption.
It also starts to get slower once a certain size has been reached, mostly due to latency.
The price of a single 300mm wafer is several thousand dollars.
>>
>>53737033
But still, you know, few degrees here - few degrees there, and we are already talking about some pretty solid overall difference in temperatures. In my opinion, if Intel has decided to get rid or soldering and replace it with different thermal interface, it was supposed to be like the very best solution available on the market as this is the only thing that is not meant to be changed by customer without voiding his warranty.
>>
>>53733232
Zen APUs with HBM are going to be great, but the TDP won't be that high with 14nm finfet and the newer architectures
>>
>>53737278
Thanks. That actually makes sense
>>
File: amd1100t.jpg (78 KB, 288x300) Image search: [Google]
amd1100t.jpg
78 KB, 288x300
Any other Phenom II era hold outs here with their fingers crossed for Zen?
>>
>>53735655
Intel is going to be paying AMD millions a year to license their GPU tech. Not nvidia. This will help amd's bottom line. Shit's looking up.
>>
>>53737298
I just want that high TDP because it means clocks will remain high on both GPU and CPU.
If I wanted it to be a lower TDP part at any time I'll just undervolt it.
>>
>>53737327
Naw man, check out carrizo, AMD already has high clocks on perforrmance per watt optimized parts
>>
>>53732774
>Zen won't flop

Yeah, just like every single thing amd's done since the pre-bulldozer era, which you guys always keep boasting about and chanting your never-ending tantrum that "next y-year it gets b-better!", then leaks and in-depth info of the thing start coming out, unsurprisingly enough it's yet another amd turd, and then you people pull a 180 saying "n-nobody e-expected it t-to be d-different!" right?

Just like the recent polaris leaks that show it's a POS low-mid end gpu and you guys tried to spin this as a good thing.

Or the fury and how it would absolutely crush nvidia, specially with the """"overclocker's dream"""" that doesn't overclock AT ALL and was nothing but a tremendous flop.

Or the 390/390x before it that was supposed to leave nvidia in the dust and it was just another rebrand.

Or Vishera, that was supposed to fix bulldozer and only improved ipc by 10%, IF that.

Or bulldozer which was a hilarious flop of biblical proportions for anything other than rendering. Even the phenom had better IPC.

It's been like 6 years already and you guys still cling to your delusion that this incompetent company can do anything other than underdeliver. I swear to god, even after AMD goes bankrupt by next year, you people will STILL be saying that amd is going to be king "any day now!!"

Fucking delusional fanboys.
>>
File: 2016-03-28-140114_230x21_scrot.png (884 B, 230x21) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-28-140114_230x21_scrot.png
884 B, 230x21
>>53737309
i'm holding out with my phenom II...
was this a good processor? or is it a meme? I can overclock the shit out of this fucker.
>>
>>53737362
FUFUFUFU AMD IS BETTER FUCK OFF SHIT FAG
>>
>>53737362
not that i'm shilling AMD, but i dread the day when the processor and GPU business becomes a full round monopoly for intel, so I hope AMD never flops so hard that it goes to shit.
>>
>>53737233
Fucktard.
>>
>>53737309
I have a P-II 975 laying around. For some reasons mine was unable to reach anything above stock speed @3.6GHz no matter what I've tried, I was running it on some mid-tier 790fx gigabyte mobo. Even like 3.7GHz was making the system absolutely unstable under full load causing blue screens, errors etc. Tho mine was running perfectly [email protected] volts, which is a bit more than 0.09 volts lower than stock settings.
>>
>>53737469
You don't get to tell anyone then when you come into the thread saying "why not maek CPU biggah!"

Schnook.
>>
>>53737313
This is a mind-boggling move for me.

Intel is going to completely gut their APU line if they license AMD's tech.

They're putting all their eggs in the Zen basket, and that's never a good idea. Polaris looks like a decent arch but it alone can't keep AMD afloat.

They need both Zen and Polaris (and eventually Vega) to be really good to get back on track. If not they probably won't have the money to get to Navi.
>>
>>53735485
thanks
>>
>>53737177
Because those are marketed as "super computers" and they charge way more for them.
>>
>>53737362
this desu
>>
>>53733564
Incorrect, for our purposes DX12 mosty just removes CPU load, thereby making all CPUs "better." Games then become GPU bound, making the FPS the same between all decent four core/module CPUs
>>
>>53737278
So why not go vertical? Stack them or something.

>>53735616
Everyone keeps going on about HBM and yet when I look into upcoming GPUs, NONE of them use HBM. So what's the point of HBM if no one's going to use it?

>>53735663
HBM will never launch. It's been announced now for what, 2 years and nothing? Get over yourself.

>>53736025
>haswell etc have higher transistor counts than intel's iGPUs

Except it performs better than the previous generation. More transistors do help.

>>53737309
I have a 1090t. OC'd it to 3.8Ghz, was kind of unstable. 3.7 seems to be a lot more stable but I keep it at stock. It's a solid little 6 core.

>>53737362
AMD is dying. Everyone knows that. I remember being deluded into thinking the Bulldozer series would be good. Kept my Phenom II and I'm happy I did.

>>53737555
Eat a dead cock.
>>
>>53737177
In addition to>>53737278, the chances of failure increase exponentially with die size IIRC.
>>
>>53737602
>HBM will never launch. It's been announced now for what, 2 years and nothing? Get over yourself.
What? There are HBM cards on the market right now. Fury, Fury X and Nano all use it.
>>
>>53737309
I'm using a [spoiler]Core 2 Quad Q6600.[/spoiler] Does this count?
>>
>>53737602
>Everyone keeps going on about HBM and yet when I look into upcoming GPUs, NONE of them use HBM. So what's the point of HBM if no one's going to use it?

from what i understood its because its cheaper to use gddr5 until hbm2 is ready later this year.

and since hbm one isnt all that good amd chose not to make the 14nm chip designed for it.

>I have a 1090t. OC'd it to 3.8Ghz, was kind of unstable. 3.7 seems to be a lot more stable but I keep it at stock. It's a solid little 6 core.

im rocking the 1090t clocked at 3.8 as well on the maximus IV mobo.

its really a great cpu.
>>
>>53737602
Holy fuck you're stupid. Just fucking kill yourself already.
>>
>>53737362
Refresh=/=Rebrand

Also the 390X is mostly above the 970 and trades punches with the 980. Much less so than the Fury X but still.

Remember that Keller contributed a fucton to Intel's IPC

Bulldozer was a flop because software hadn't caught up with multithreating. The situation is better now.

AMD is where real innovation takes place anyway. Fuck off you piece of shit consumerist whore.
>>
>>53737362
The Fury X is now faster than a stock 980ti thanks to driver improvements
>>
>>53737309
1055t here. It served me well. Although every once in a while I did check newer AMD CPU benchmarks and was disappointed every single time that they did not improve much over 1055t.

Hoping for Zen to turn out to be worth upgrading to
>>
>>53737804
honest question
consistently better or just on a few select games?
>>
>>53737602
Congrats, you derailed the thread. Now fuck off.
>>
>>53737058
Mobile CPUs, retard.
>>
>>53737898
Like the Fury cards have a lot of performance that should be there thanks to the way faster memory, but maybe it's just too new and they're having trouble with the drivers for it, but still it's been steadily improving, it's kinda like the 780 and 7970

granted you can still OC the 980ti and wreck the Fury X

http://www.overclock.net/t/1578881/fury-x-is-now-just-as-fast-as-gtx-980ti-in-1080p-1440p-and-faster-in-4k
>>
>>53737804
>>53737898
Doesn't really say much since the 980 ti is overclocked non-reference and it clocks even higher if you wanted to.

AMD simply lost the flagship tier this generation.
>>
>>53737954
thanks bud
>>
>>53737309
965 BE, still working.
Can't judge it's performance in newest gaymes as i loathe the fucking shit but it gets the job done, photshopping and rendering.

I really don't feel like burning money on jewtel, but boy does this look like AMDs swan song.
>>
Anyone have any idea how much bandwidth the Zen UMI will have? Will it be greater than PCIe 3.0 x4 like Intel's H/Z170 DMI?
>>
>>53735869
>>53736025
>>53736558
>>53735835
>>53735813
>>53735799
>>53735790
>>53735782
>>53735771
>>53735757
>>53735663
>>53735655
>>53735652
>>53735616
>>53735491
>>53735485
>>53735467

Zen's IPC leaked and it's not as good as Intel's IPC. You need to accept this and move on. Stop hanging on to the lost hope of AMD. Zen will be, at best, 10% faster than the FX 8350 and that's pushing it.
>>
>>53738543
Great source, shitposter.
>>
File: le bait mayme.png (17 KB, 626x624) Image search: [Google]
le bait mayme.png
17 KB, 626x624
>>53738543
Here's your (you)
>>
>>53738543
Thanks man I knew this was gonna how it was have to end up I'm builidng a new intel rig soon no point in waiting
>>
>>53738606
No, don't. Intel's newest batch of transistors were faulty. They're about to announce a recall but it only affects socket 1151, mainly the Pentium and Celeron chips.
>>
>>53734928
Which xeon and mobo you got? I got an x5650 on a dx58so, and it won't boot windows on anything over 155 bulk. Just goes to a blue screen bootloop. Temps are amazing compared to my 920, though. Kinda concerned with the ~10c core temp differential, though.
>>
>>53738543
You're ignoring the fact that Zen, even if the information you provided will materialize as true, will have higher core speeds and probably more cores/threads. Also Zen+.
>>
CERTIFIED

SHIT

WRECKER
>>
>>53732774
When has AMD ever lied about processor performance yields before release
*COUGH* Bulldozer *COUGH*
>>
>>53740305
How much processor families do you think AMD has made so far?
>>
>>53732774
I have no doubt the architecture will be solid and the chips will be great value, but I highly doubt it'll save AMD. Intel will continue to gobble up all the system builder contracts.

A few hundred thousand PC builders buying Zen chips isn't going to save AMD.
>>
>>53740353
>Implying that matters
>>
File: 1445297301531.jpg (78 KB, 816x840) Image search: [Google]
1445297301531.jpg
78 KB, 816x840
>>53740353
>They only lied once they'll never do it again
>They lied about Bullzdozer but they wont lie about it's successor
>>
>>53733393
pls iso
>>
>>53733479
>idk what I'm talking about
>who the fuck is jim keller
>he left early meme

he left "early" for athlon too, that certainly was a big flop, wasn't it.. first multicores, first integrated memory controller, damn shitty design
>>
>>53735616
>why not make HBM amd only?
Because HBM was co-developed by SK Hynix. Who are a faceless corporation that don't give a shit about Descrete-GPU monopolies. They just want money.
>>
File: shitposting.webm (267 KB, 558x314) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.webm
267 KB, 558x314
>>53738543
>>(You)
>>
>>53737371
It was good. Yes, with a decent motherboard you can overclock the fuck out of it. No, it wasn't a meme.
>>
>>53733218
As a Haswell owner, it would be a dream come true if AMD releases a 6-8 core CPU that can clock to ~4.8 on water and at a competitive/reasonable price, i.e. around the 4790K/6700K or 5820K. I would upgrade immediately.
>>
>>53733538
AMD is competing just fine on pretty much all levels except against the 980 Ti. That one is a straight-up better choice than a Fury X in most cases.
>>
>>53741049
This. AMD is doing fine in graphics these last 2 years approximately. Especially now with their move to HBM2 and DX12/Vulkan.

The CPUs have shit IPC compared to intel but still cheaper. Zen/Zen+ will make them much more efficient. I don't get these people who say AMD is dead/dying. It's doing OK still even though it's competing against at least two multinational corporations which includes one of the largest in the tech industry. a ~25-35% market gain in the next year or so isn't unlikely if the new gen lives up to expectation.
>>
File: 1435900442334.jpg (27 KB, 565x311) Image search: [Google]
1435900442334.jpg
27 KB, 565x311
>>53732774
>Zen won't flop
>Bulldozer will beat Sandy Bridge
>Piledriver wont flop
>The Fury X will beat Nvidia's offerings

How come AMDfags believe anything AMD tells them?
>>
File: 2jsfax6.jpg (435 KB, 1477x2067) Image search: [Google]
2jsfax6.jpg
435 KB, 1477x2067
>>
>>53741210
The Fury X beats the 980 just fine both performance and cost wise. Not a lot of people are going to spend $1000-$1300 for a titan X.
>>
File: 1458753659659.jpg (20 KB, 328x396) Image search: [Google]
1458753659659.jpg
20 KB, 328x396
>Zen will still have AMD Botnet Processor integrated on all the chips
>>
File: 1442036908865.png (25 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1442036908865.png
25 KB, 396x400
>>53741366
If you're doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide.
>>
>>53741244
You're thinking of the regular Fury (non x). The 980 ti outperforms the Fury x.
>>
>>53741210
/thread
>>
>>53741366
So between Windows, OSX, Intel and AMD botnets, it's just better to go offline?
>>
>>53733291
xeon?
>>
>>53741491

AMD introduced their botnet seven years after Intel did. Phenom II is botnet free and it's about equal to a C2Q clock-for-clock, while Intel's last botnet-free chips were the last iterations of Pentium 4.
>>
>>53737177
It's harder to cool everything, power consumption matters more than you think. More material = more expensive
Being bigger also increases latency because electrons have to travel a bigger distance.
>>53737613
Pentium PRO suffered from this.
>>
>>53741530
I don't really wanna go back to big space heaters, Anon
Does ARM tech have botnet issues? Or is it on a per manufacturer/implementation basis because ARM just licenses their shit
>>
>>53741244
>The Fury X beats the 980 just fine both performance and cost wise

the fury x is more expensive and gets outperformed by an oc 980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxTcvZ4T2k
>>
>>53741632
per manufacturer bases
ARM can be open hardware or closed (broadcom is closed for example)
>>
>>53741530
You can remove the botnet from the first chips to use it
>Before version 6.0 (that is, on systems from 2008/2009 and earlier), the ME can be disabled by setting a couple of values in the SPI flash memory. The ME firmware can then be removed entirely from the flash memory space. libreboot does this on the Intel 4 Series systems that it supports, such as the Libreboot X200 and Libreboot T400. ME firmware versions 6.0 and later, which are found on all systems with an Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU and a PCH, include "ME Ingition" firmware that performs some hardware initialization and power management. If the ME's boot ROM does not find in the SPI flash memory an ME firmware manifest with a valid Intel signature, the whole PC will shut down after 30 minutes.
This whole page is a really interesting read though
https://libreboot.org/faq/
>>
>It's a let's fix AMD thread.
>>
>>53741659

The process works both ways, it can be turned on by a piece of code just as easily as it can be turned off. It's always going to be a security and privacy risk permanently built into the hardware itself.
>>
File: 1458821733527.jpg (77 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
1458821733527.jpg
77 KB, 500x347
>tfw nothing can save you from botnet
>>
>>53741693
You're just jealous that AMD is about to release a chip that will effectively double the price/performance ratio of Intel.
>>
>>53741530
Phenom II is the last good generation of AMD processors and it's not tainted by PRISM.
>>
>>53741659
>>53741646
>>53741632
>>53741584
>>53741583
>>53741497
>>53741436
>>53741453
>>53741432
>>53741366

No, not /thread. AMD is about to annihilate Intel and you're scared. Why else would you keep shilling in an AMD thread?
>>
>all these intel shills
>>
>>53741889
>>53741913
>autism
kek
>>
>>53737954
>>53737972
for reference, originally the 7970 was tied with the 680 when they both came out. after all the driver improvements by amd it then competed with the 780.

go figure
>>
>>53739272
source?
>>
The only thing that would make it ''flop'' for me is the extremely late release date. I am in a dire need of an upgrade and I am not sure I can wait any longer.
My Q9550 just doesn't cut it anymore.
>>
>>53742245
My 1090t is starting to have issues on newer games, Fallout 4 specifically.
>>
>>53742306
I know how that feels. Modern multiplayer games are the worst offenders for me. I can barely even play BF4 properly and that's only because of Mantle.
>>
>>53742245
Buy an AM4+ motherboard and a Carrizo hold-over CPU when they release it by the end of this spring. That way, you can just buy a Zen CPU for the upgrade.
>>
>>53742393
>when they release it by the end of this spring
Any source for this?
>>
>>53742405
I can't find the specific article, but some benchmarking programs were updated a month ago to include Bristol Ridge APUs, which usually only happens when a processor is at least three-five months away from launch.
>>
>>53742497
So we have fucking nothing then.
>>
>>53742514
Give it a few weeks. The major motherboard manufacturers will be making a joint announcement with AMD to announce their product line.

My only concern is how the chipsets will be like. Since AM4 is combining both APUs and CPUs, they might only be releasing AM4 motherboards with a southbridge that will only work with APU/Athlons. CPU-only AM4s might not launch on the same day and AMD won't say a thing until it's time for Summit Ridge to hit the market.
Only time will tell.
>>
>>53738543

Citation needed
>>
>>53737396

Then you are contradicting yourself.

It's been almost a decade since amd simply cannot offer any meaningful competition to nvidia and even more so to intel. If AMD were to go under, intel and nvidia would be struck down by anti-monopoly laws and someone could buy amd's remains and make something with it.

Keeping amd on life support will only protect intel and nvidia from anti-monopoly laws, which means they can still be relaxing on top of their money mountains without even trying. After all, IN THEORY, there's competition, even though it's a glorified practical monopoly.

Why is this so fucking hard for you people to understand this?

>AMD is where real innovation takes place anyway. Fuck off you piece of shit consumerist whore.

Now this is just nintendrone tier levels of delusion, holy shit.
>>
>>53732960
AMD could forget to market the thing.
>>
>>53737309
1090t reporting in. Everything is OK.
>>
you understimate global foundrieĀ“s ability to fuck up
>>
>>53732774
>Zen won't flop
Don't jinx it you hideous faggot!
I will fucking murder you it it flops!
>>
>>53743512
GloFo isnt the only one making it, Samsung is as well. Even if GloFo fucks it up (which they shouldnt since they're getting help from Samsung and IBM's stuff that they purchased), Samsung will be able to pick up the slack.
>>
>>53737309
I really couldn't wait anymore. I was sitting on a 955 @ 3.8 for a while. I just bit the bullet and grab the jewtel skymeme. Gave my old PC to my imouto though and she's having fun playing BnS on it. I might grab Zen when it comes out just to support AMD though...
>>
>>53738543
my dad works for nintendo
>>
>>53737309
965BE/790FX owner on Win10. Was running Debian for a short while. Keeps chugging along.
>>
>>53742984
>If AMD were to go under, intel and nvidia would be struck down by anti-monopoly laws and someone could buy amd's remains and make something with it.
This is a pipe dream.

Everyone with two brain cells knows that KronyKapitalism has ruled since, well, Shrub was in office. Obongo just kept it rolling along. The DOJ has yet to even prosecute the f'n banks, what makes you think they'll do anything more than offer Intel a reach-around and some lube?

Intel's a shit design, anyone with microprocessor experience knows this, fuck what do we need with fucking SEGMENTS 20 years later? Yet that shit is still in there, along with all the other bullshit they've concocted.

Intel doesn't make great product, and anyone in tech knows this. They make great sales and marketing. Tech doesn't win on merits, it wins on FUD, backroom deals, little white lies, lies of omission, and even the occasionally slimy bit of criminal activity. It's no different from any matured market in America today.
>>
File: wtf, what the fuck.gif (2 MB, 280x202) Image search: [Google]
wtf, what the fuck.gif
2 MB, 280x202
>>53733490
>I'd jizz all over my dad's dick
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.