[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Youtube is getting more and more dangerous in terms of the power
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
Youtube is getting more and more dangerous in terms of the power that it holds to let companies take advantage of people. What I want to know is, how do we start to make a replacement for it besides dailymotion/vimeo?
>>
If you want to support someone on youtube buy their merch or donate via patreon, they make like nothing on ads anyway
>>
>>53728459
Make it p2p. Extend BitTorrent's DHT mechanism with a video search layer and give it a nice front-end.
>>
>>53728506
sounds like a great idea. Add a local cache to manage ram usage and you're good to go.

I used to use youtube center to exploit some flags and make it more usable, but its broken atm
>>
>>53728459
>how do we start to make a replacement
You could but it would be a waste of effort/money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5N58plzDY
>>
>>53729076
The thing is, I understand it, you understand it, and I think good part of /g/ understands it.

Why does the general public not understand that youtube provides a service that is fucking expensive for free and then they complain about it?
>>
>>53729076
Thank you, I knew most of those things but really interesting video. I might sub to that guy, his content is good.
>>
>>53728506
Like Zeronet?
>>
>>53728459
>Watching this stupid shit
>taking him seriously
>even when he takes half of the movie and puts it in his "reviews"
>reposting his mental diarrhea here
Please go away. He's one of the very few cases where youtube policies actually work.
>>
>>53728459
webm on chans of course.
That is until hirohito enable sound on all boards and increase the size limit.
>>
>>53728459
>how do we start to make a replacement for it besides dailymotion/vimeo
Why do you care so much about a replacement?
Why hasn't your "special kind" of replacement been done yet?
>we
You mean "not me"
>>
>>53730188
>complain
You can and should complain when things are bad. Just becomes youtube "isn't perfect" doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't strive for it to be better.
>>
>>53730188

The part that most people have a problem with is that YouTube can basically treat it's employees like garbage.

Yes. if you have an account on YouTube and YouTube has agreed to pay you based on your popularity, you're working for YouTube and you should have a right to reasonable help to resolve issues with your account and payment. If YouTube is having financial problems they should tell you that's the reason they stopped paying you rather than just tease you with ""We want to help you, please tell us the nature of your problem" over and over.
>>
>>53728506
Ace Stream technology.
>>
>>53731912
you are delusional. by that logic you work for facebook because you have an account there, or you work for microsoft because you have a microsoft email account and you are advertising them everytime you give out your email.

there is no amount of data mining, advertising or monetization that can cover the costs of storing the amount of files that they do, delivering the content online that they do, delivering the free service that they offer. If they were to put non skippable ads it would still be difficult for them to make money.
>>
>>53732044
>facebook because you have an account there
>account on YouTube and YouTube has AGREED TO PAY YOU
LEARN TO FUCKING READ RETARD.
>>
File: 2336448_60x60.gif (916 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
2336448_60x60.gif
916 KB, 320x240
As long as my Michael Rosen Youtube Poops are on there, I don't care.
>>
>>53732126
you don't get it, they don't have to give you shit, they could quit payments today, and content would still be uploaded at a rate where it wouldn't matter if all the butthurt people like you left. they dont need you, you need them.
>>
>>53732044

People whom Facebook and Microsoft have agreed to pay for content creation are considered employees of Facebook and Microsoft. As in they have some pretty serious legal backing if Facebook or Microsoft suddenly decided to cease paying them to at least get a proper explanation as to why that happen.

Meanwhile YouTube can just treat content creators, whom they have agreed to pay, like 19th century factory workers. How they've avoided class action lawsuits is beyond me.
>>
>>53728459

YouTube is like the government. As long as it works fine for most of its subjects, nothing will happen. Nobody cares about those that get buttfucked.
>>
>>53732172
Once you get paid, it's a fucking job, you should have basic rights like any other fucking job.
With that sort of mentality any employer anywhere can do what ever the fuck they want to you.
You're fucking stupid if you think that WORKING for youtube is a fucking handout, you're WORKING and if they agree to pay you, it's a fucking job like any other.
Stop being such a stupid cunt and try to work once in your stupid life.
>>
>>53732203
What is this commie talk?! If you don't like how your employer treats you, find another job. Free market, bitch.
>>
>>53732172
No. If you think money is no motivator for those that draw in the most viewers, you're delusional.
>>
>>53731912
>The part that most people have a problem with is that YouTube can basically treat it's employees like garbage.

Wtf, nobody cares about that....
>>
>>53732203
>>53732202
>>53732195
>>53732126
>>53731912
>>53731750
>>53728459

what the fuck kind of shilling is this. uploading shit to youtube isn't a fucking job even if you put 80 hours a week on it no more than taylor swift works for spotify. if you dont like youtube quit using it. start storing your content yourself and start delivering it yourself, there is no fucking monopoly.
>>
>>53732246
(You)
>>
>>53732203
>M-MUH RIGHTS!!11
Enjoy getting your shit in-outsourced to H1Bs.
>>
>>53732274

>uploading shit to youtube isn't a fucking job

It is if you get paid to do so, that's like the definition of what a job is.
>>
>>53732274
>>53732278
(You)
>>
>>53732288
>minimum wage for jewtoobers!111
Fuck off.
>>
>>53732286
He's just mad that his channel didn't get popular.
>>
>>53732286
By that logic, getting interest is a job. And paying your bills makes you an employer.

YouTube is at best an imperfect market, where a bunch of dweebs compete for ad revenue. Just because you get money via a platform, it doesn't make the platform your employer. If you make money off of your own hosted blog, it doesn't mean "the internet" is your employer.

You're a fucking retard.
>>
File: mad son.jpg (20 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
mad son.jpg
20 KB, 265x190
>>53732356
>>
>>53732203
>>53732286

You work for yourself. Your work is to create content and figure out how to make money off of it. Youtube just happens to be the currently most effective way of distributing it. You are actually paying for their distribution service with about 50 % of your ad revenue.
>>
>>53732378
Damn right I'm mad. Retards make me furious.
>>
>>53728459
Me and some friends attempted to create a youtube clone a few months ago(video upload/encode/reproduction, subscriptions and comments were working), besides the technical stuff being way more complex that what you're probably thinking there's also the "we don't want to go bankrupt" part >>53729076 explains it quite well.
>>
File: U Mad.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
U Mad.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>53732400
>>53732405
>>
I just convert my videos and stream them directly from my server.
Why would I use the bullshit that is youtube?
>>
>>53732456
And you have approximately 0 viewers.

>Why would I use the bullshit that is youtube?

To have more than 0 viewers.
>>
>>53732232
He's saying the platform is more than oversaturated. If those money making youtubers disappear they would simply be immediately replaced by 100 similar people who are just happy to be getting the spotlight that their disappearance would be completely inconsequential in the long run.
>>
>>53732434
Nigger I literally make 10 % of my yearly income through Youtube ad revenue and I can tell you that the IRS would not like it if I put "Google, inc." as my employer on the tax papers.
>>
The problem with making a youtube competitor is that even if the site itself was perfect, nobody would want to use it. Youtube has such a large audience that the existing users would never want to move at risk of losing their audience, and people who want to build up a new following want to stick with youtube because the aforementioned audiences are still there.
>>
>>53732503
Do you really have to actually tell the IRS about $4?
>>
>>53732530
And that's a problem why?
>>
>>53732552
OP asked how to make a replacement. The reasons I stated are why a replacement would be doomed to fail
>>
>>53728459
>>53730188

The problem isn't with YouTube itself. It's with Copyright Holders and the Copyright Laws in this country.

Put yourself in YouTubes position. You constantly having major copyright holders breathing down your neck. When a copyright holder says "TAKE THIS DOWN, IT INFRINGES UPON ME!!!!!!!". YouTube is stuck in a shit position because every time they tell a copyright holder "No" they are taking a legal risk. Most of the time, it can be a bluff, but when you get a major company like Universal, MGM, etc who is saying this kind of stuff. They've got the money and lawyers to throw at YouTube. In court, a lawyer could very well argue that YouTube "knows full well that this content is illegal and available!" despite whether its feasible to actually manage all that or not.

So, again, the issue really isn't with YouTube. They just constantly have their backs against the wall because Copyright laws could very well fuck them if they take a wrong step and potentially ruin their company. YouTube has to be extremely cautious because the major copyright holders have money and lawyers on their side, the content creators don't. So who is YouTube going to cave to? The guys who actually pose a thread of ending their company.
>>
>>53732533
Yes I do, because it's a really special $ 4 that's not actually $ 4.

Stay mad because your PewDiePie let's play clone didn't work out.
>>
>>53732593
OP wants to complain about youtube
OP wants youtube to change to suit him
OP wants to be paid no matter what it does legal or not
OP doesn't seem to understand the costs associated with running a website of that hosts video, not just his but probably in the number of a billion videos, delivers those same videos, mostly without ads and does it all for fucking free to the user.

the video watcher/subscriber is also the user, just because you make videos and upload them, it doesn't put you on a upper echelon above the ones who watch it.
>>
>>53732378
>>53732434

Posting nigger-tier LOL U MAD reaction images isn't an argument. It's just a pointless deflection to make it seem like the fact you're wrong doesn't bother you.

The reality is that YouTube doesn't owe you anything. YouTube is a platform, not an employer. When you're self-employed in any other segment of the market no one is going to come and save you when things don't go well for you. Your business and income die, life goes on. So why should a bunch of crybabies who talk infront of a camera all day be treated any different? They shouldn't. You can either hack it and find another source of income or sit and complain about it on 4chan, reality does not offer a 'complain and make everyone give you lots of money option' by virtue of your existence.
>>
>>53732533

It depends on how much you made that year. If you make under a certain amount of money each year you don't have to tell the IRS anything. You don't even have to file your taxes.

However if you make over that amount, then yeah, you've got to report that extra $4. Legally anyway, in reality, the IRS really does not give a shit about small shit like that. They only care about the people who owe thousands upon thousands in backed taxes. They're not going to waste time on a guy who didn't report $500 one year.
>>
>>53732469
Youtube isnt a platform to promote my shorter than 5 minutes videos anyway.
>>
>>53728459
oh boy, another jewtube thread
>>
>>53728459
your a faggot and your jokes suck. Thats why nobody wants to see your shitty youtube videoclips
>>
>>53732356
You're so retarded it's inconceivable.

If YouTube pays you in exchange for providing them content, that's a job. Paying a company for a service doesn't make you an employer. Why do you have such an issue with this?
>>
>>53729076
How can I upload anything other than videos on Youtube?
>>
>>53733063
>what is a platform?

If you sell crap on Ebay, Ebay isn't your employer. If you sell games on Steam, Valve isn't your employer. If you sell Apps on the App Store, Apple isn't your employer.

If YouTube were to be your employer, you'd lose your copyright for the shit you create. That's not the case.

If you're so incredibly inbred that you equate getting money from an entity with being employed by then and if you can't wrap your head around what a platform, or in econ-speak a market, is, then there's no point discussing this any further.

The hidden disabilities really hurt the most.
>>
>>53728459
YouTube is owned by Google and hosts the videos on their own servers, they have any right they want to modify or remove videos from their own service
>>
>>53733436
im getting a really twisted feeling that this dude is trying to get the "im a employee" trend started with youtube because in his mind youtube=uber except the business model is totally different
>>
Fucking loser hipster mentality.

>it was successful
>"It's dangerous"

Go back to jacking off to your hobby 90s internet where there were 10,000 unmaintained sites with half broken links.
>>
>>53733629
Op has a point anon, YouTube users used to regularly file fraudulent DMCA takedowns to get channels they didn't like suspended and DMCAs from actual copyright holders are often fraudulent because they use automated tools.

Internet in the 90s was arguably better in some regards because giant web monopolies did not exist so there were many viable alternatives to most sites. Google has dominion of pretty much all web traffic for user created videos via YouTube, so they own a monopoly on user created video sites. Now because YouTube has this monopoly there is next to no viewers on other user created video sites, so effectively Google has a monopoly on speech when it comes to ideas/thoughts shared via user created video.
>>
>>53734120
>in the 90s was arguably better in some regards because giant web monopolies did not exist
>web monopolies

you never used internet in the 90s, there are is no such thing on the internet as a monopoly because the barriers of entry to the market are the same to you as they are to google and your reach is the same to you as it is to google. there were giants in the 90s just like there are giants today, the people who used the internet though were a different demographic than they are today, lycos, yahoo, geocities.

if you want to have a blog and serve your videos on your blog you can, if you want to distribute it on facebook you can, you can tweet it out and get your name out there, but you won't do that because it takes actual real work to get your name out there and you're not going to do that you'll have a hard time prying normies away from their dear facebook, you are not entitled to a audience.

Ever since the second coming of the smartphone where everyone got a iphone and a android phone people have been feeling entitled to make money online, gosh darn it we spent so much money on investing on all these bullshit internet companies one has to pay out, it won't work. even the fucking new york times took down their paywall because for some fucking reason they rather have page views for ads than to sell their content for a fee.

your videos are shit product and it is one you give away for free on youtube, they proceed to throw you a few pennies on your hat, its literally like begging/performing on the street you are not entitled to anything and you can get kicked out at anytime, that is the choice you make when you upload your shit online that goes for you, the new york times, time warner or viacom, no one gives a shit how much time you put into it, want to make money off of it, package it and sell it. fuck off to trade school/college and learn a skill that you can actually use and trade for money
>>
>>53732147
youtube poops in general should remain forever on youtube
>>
File: pierdziawa.jpg (535 KB, 1712x1368) Image search: [Google]
pierdziawa.jpg
535 KB, 1712x1368
i dream about p2p YT, fuck i could even pay for it (like distributed paying for upload like with proff of work it has been done with safememecoin.
Not to mention this is possible, popcorntime or other sites existed.
>>
>>53732645
>The problem isn't with YouTube itself. It's with Copyright Holders and the Copyright Laws in this country.
And this the reason why big companys will never make it free as in the freedom, all we need is few hosting providers that will say fuck you, i mean they exist you can for fuck sake host a fucking cpiiza site in clear net.
All we need to do is search for someone or comunity that will support that idea. And sadly the worst is the jewtube started monetaizing and paying and that would be pretty hard on any free site
But unlessy we are willing to do so, P2P is only way
>>
>>53734656
make it senpai
>>
>>53734557
I acknowledge that there were giants on the internet back then too but the key difference you are missing is that the internet back then was much different. Back then web traffic was more spread out and diverse, and there were many valid alternatives to various websites that weren't graveyards. Now >98% of web traffic is only a select few major sites and services, because of this modern giants have a disproportionate amount of influence over the internet thus becoming monopolies.

Unless you use the predominant services to either host your content or promote your content it will never be seen no matter how good or how bad it is, because of this if you are inhibited from using these services for any reason you have little in the way for a valid alternative to host or promote your content. Hosting your own content still depends on you promoting your content via these sites, piggy backing off others promoted via these sites, owning a local physical business for word of mouth promotion, or being wealthy. So you have a dependency on these major sites like it or not, because the average person nowadays does not tend to deviate from these sites unless they hear about something else on from these sites.

If this trend continues and all web traffic becomes dominated by fewer and fewer sites, this will make you even more dependent on large services to be heard at all. The issue I raise isn't that YouTube can do what it wants with it's site, it is that so few sites having so much influence has the potential to harm free speech.
>>
>>53730188
>I think good part of /g/ understands it.
That is overestimating /g/'s common sense these days.
>>
>>53728459
>>
"wanna subscribe to YouTube Red for some more pewdiepie videos??" no not really
>>
>>53734656
DO IT
>>
Why doesn't google just force you to pay 5 dollars a month to access youtube ala netflix?

Youtube has no competition so they wont lose business
>>
>>53728506

P2p does not work for mobile devices because data costs. It barely works for normal devices as well because upload speeds are capped.
>>
A good logo is crucial for the platforms success.
>>
I can make a basic website that plays html 5 videos, I know databases, and how to make hash salted passwords. I might need to mess around with routing and urls, though.

Guess why I still wouldn't bother trying to make another vimeo/dailymotion.
>>
>>53740270
Youtube does have competition, even if it's not much. If Youtube went subscription only, everyone would move to Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc.
>>
>>53728459
> how do we start to make a replacement for it
Here's a revolutionary idea: if you think you have shit to share with the world, why don't you set up a website? If it's good, people will find you. If not, maybe it's not that good. This worked fucking great in the 90's before Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and all that shit appeared and somehow convinced people they're doing them a favor by fucking them in the ass.
>>
>>53728506
I wanted to do this with soundcloud. After some analysis, I decided it'd be very hard to do and even then pointless.
>>
File: code.jpg (521 KB, 2235x1500) Image search: [Google]
code.jpg
521 KB, 2235x1500
>>53740560
OP here, and this is what I'm saying. However, in order to create this website to be as good as possible I was wondering if anyone had strategies or suggestions, like the tool to use to create it or by making it from scratch in Notepad
>>
>>53728506
>>53740331
Build a coin on top of it.
>>
>>53740987
Just take a bunch of ones and zeroes and mash 'em together
Like so
>01110101 01110010 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100111 01100101 01110100
>>
>>53740560
But then you have to deal with the SEO fags who use web scraping tools to patch together a pos blog that clogs the first 50 pages of your search results. Soon the small asian countries are gonna get ass raped by TPP when the feds come crashin in on them becauz hollywood is losing money. Muh animes. ;-;
>>
>>53728459
Step 1: Make a logo.
Step 2: Give up.
>>
>>53736962
Lycos was at one point in the early 90s over 50% o all web traffic in the world. Hi5 was huge before myspace and it was huge before facebook and if you really pay attention youd say facebook is freaking the fuck out because theyre a big giant fucking advertising scam. no giants last forever as we all know here. the internet today in many ways is no different than it was back then and in many ways it is. the second coming of the dot com bubble is coming because of people like you who feel that the internet is so big that theyre entitled to make money off of it somehow.

you are not forced to use prominent services to host your content or promote it, you use them to get the eyes those platforms carry but you dont want their eyes, you simply want page views to plug into your adsense/ytanalytics account. if you truly make great content that is not clickbait you will survive, look at the great examples of this all over the world, fuck you're on one of those examples right now.

>if this trend continues
that trend doesn't continue it never has it never will, people change their habits at the drop of a hat online, it just takes one good fucking, and that fucking will happen because its either that or shut it down. there is no potential harm to free speech you can say whatever you want with your own agency youre not entitled to use someone elses agency to spew your speech.

you know why no body goes along with your argument? what you are advocating is in essence the same as me going to starbucks with a megaphone and stand in front of their windows hawking my wares of ideas to passer bys and for some fucking reason starbucks goes along with it because you get more people in the door so they throw you some change, that doesn't make you their employee. then some of you beggars begin using copyrighted commercial songs in order to get attention of the passer bys, starbucks gets lawyers on their ass and they tell you to fuck off and now youre whining.
>>
>>53732147
NICE
>>
>>53732147
Dimitri Petrov is best pooper.
>>
>>53736962
the great promise the internet has fulfilled for all, is the freedom of the press by giving the people who use the internet the means of production of said press. it takes you the same effort to make a website as it does facebook or google. you can get your message out there in many ways, if anything there are hundreds more ways today than there were just ten years ago. 4chan became big traffic, it could all end tomorrow, same with facebook and any other player. a lot of money was poured on the internet hoping something would stick they're figuring out now that all that money was always used to build sand castles based on advertising. Amazon has been in business for what twenty five years, they have yet to make a profit. you have scant stories of success of people or companies who advertise on facebook. sand castles all of them. but you can publish whatever you want on the internet, you can make your own website, theres free tools that make great websites, you can host your content and deliver it through your website.

but again, you are not interested in that, what you are interested in is making money, the reason why sales of movies, music and other entertainment and newspapers dropped is because there are too many alternatives that cost zero elsewhere internet included. good content can stand on its own, the atlantic, mother jones, new york times, the national review, standard weekly. shit publications like my local paper here that only serves AP posts has no reason to even exist. shit content will never be profitable no matter what the medium, internet only makes if more transparent that your content is shit and that is what is different. you are the cancer of todays internet.
>>
>>53728459
Could make one now but the problem would be user base and hosting.
>>
has NOONE here heard about the GNU Mediagoblin? it even says in the fucking installgentoo wiki to use that as your YouTube replacement. you niggers need to study, it wven has motherfucking 3D model viewing
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.