[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tap Water is Technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 14
File: 4-1-water.jpg (19 KB, 195x300) Image search: [Google]
4-1-water.jpg
19 KB, 195x300
How does /g/ filter their water?

Obviously with Flint we can't trust municipal water to be potable anymore.
>>
>>52659713
through my kidneys
>>
help why are all niggers retarded, OP
>>
I stuff cotton balls in my mouth and let the tap water slowly pass through it and dribble down the back of my throat.
>>
>>52659713
Same, but with unbleached coffee filters,
>>
>These plebs need to filter their water

Thank god I live in Boston, the greatest city in the world.
The water tastes better than bottled water.
>>
I only drink 40s of colt 45
>>
>>52659879
>Boston
>literally drinking nigger piss
>>
File: c.png (717 KB, 1272x702) Image search: [Google]
c.png
717 KB, 1272x702
I drank tap water for years. Then bought a Brita filter. I hated the taste so now I just buy bottled water.
>>
Full house reverse osmosis. I'm on a well in FL. If the machine isn't working the water smells like rotten eggs.
>>
Reverse osmosis filter under my sink connecting to my tap.
>>
I use the best filter of all: the human body.
>>
>>52659999
nice quads my friend
>>
>>52660046
Try drinking a cup of bleach then dude.
>>
>>52659971

Tap Water in Florida, we live in Central, is fucking awful. I used to live in Northern GA/Southern TN and the water from the tap was great, seriously. I bought a Brita filter for our tap and haven't had any issues. It certainly eliminated that god awful taste.
>>
>>52660085
You seem to be mistaken: I don't mean my body's filter, I mean using other peoples' bodies.
>>
>>52660144
This clarification does not meet my brains intelligence level for a meaningful response.
>>
>>52659713
I'm not american so my water is pure already.
>>
>>52659713
Pur filter. Alternatively, Poland Spring bottled water.
>>
>>52660144
Mac user detected.
>>
>>52659713
agam water dispenser
>>
Go to the Walmart near the University in Commerce, TX.

You may notice that THE ENTIRE BACK WALL IS BOTTLED WATER.

It is that way for a reason.
>>
>>52659713
my well water comes from 300 feet below ground under a rock self. crystal clear and tastes like water.
>>
>>52661092
because its a university town and the concept of safe to drink tap water is alien to foreigners.
>>
>>52661201
>only foreigners go to college

DEY TUK R JERBS
>>
>>52659770
and then you say "chubby bunny" before adding another
>>
>>52659713
Through ur mom.
>>
why would you guys drink tap water? It's literally sewer water

and getting water is so cheap it's like 25 cents for a gallon
>>
PAC NW master race
crystal clear mountain run off
no industry to dirty it up

let's just hope the mountains keep getting snow
>>
>>52661788
it's filtered, just like whatever is in the bottles
>>
>>52659879
>>52659898
Boston metro has great water. Comes from Quabbin, almost completely devoid of any mineral content. Just some iron.
>>
>>52659713
Solution to water crises, or any crisis in general caused by attempts to save money: stop voting for Republican governors and legislators.
>>
>>52661693
no but wouldn't having a university in your town increase the number of foreigners there?
don't put words in my mouth faggot.
>>
Most bottled water just comes straight from a tap
>>
>>52661827
>>>/pol/
kill yourself my man

anyway my tap water smells like swimming pool so i know it's clean
>>
>>52659879

Bottled water that is in plastic bottles tastes disgusting. I can't understand how people drink that putrid crap.
>>
>>52661805

Yeah but it had literal shit in it

Besides my water came from some spring according to the water vending machine
>>
>>52661911
>it had literal shit in it
Yeah I bet you think that Dasani water was created from scratch in Coca-Cola's factory, right? It's *BRAND NEW* water and you're the first to piss it out. lol.
>>
>>52661911
you could probably say that for most water on this earth

the water you're drinking right now could have been pissed out by napoleon
>>
>>52661827
>City run by democrats for years.
>HURR DURR IT'S THE REPUBLICANS FAULT!!11!
>>
>>52661946

>it doesn't happen when democrats are in power but only after a republican is elected
>figures it's the democrats' fault
>>
>>52661946
>>52661970
NO

no no no
>>>/pol/ faggots

fuck off
>>
>>52661911
>Besides my water came from some spring according to the water vending machine
Which usually it's the same "spring" from where municipal water comes, bottled water is a scam
>>
>>52661927

I drink Arrowhead thank you very much
>>
File: tap water 1.jpg (24 KB, 320x161) Image search: [Google]
tap water 1.jpg
24 KB, 320x161
I trust my city to deliver clean, potable water that I can drink right from the tap.
>>
>>52661927

in a science class project, a professor literally took hydrogen and oxygen and blew that shit up to make pure water.

shit was cash
>>
>>52661994

Wait what do you mean?
>>
>>52662015
>not using a PEM
what a waste of potential energy
>>
>>52662012

I take tap water, boil it, condense it, and drink it. I've definitely seen some weird shit left behind in the pot after the water finishes boiling.
>>
>>52662043
it's minerals your body requires

you're drinking distilled water - which i don't think has any health benefits and some say is bad for you
>>
>>52662076

it can actually make you really sick if you only drink distilled water and don't get those minerals from supplements or food
>>
>>52661836
>no but wouldn't having a university in your town increase the number of foreigners there?
Another plus for Boston metro.
51 accredited universities.
And endless supply of exotic young women from all over the world.
It's like heaven.
>>
>>52662043
listen to
>>52662076
& >>52662089

at least you aren't one of those fools that drinks alkalized water as if that could even possibly be healthy
>>
>>52662089
>>52662076

I feel so retarded. like I should have known that before. thanks /g/, you give good advice, jut not good tech advice.
>>
>>52662113

But your body needs alkalize stuff to be healthy
>>
>>52662016
Spring water more often than not doesn't come from springs; in some cases they're literally just municipal water bottled up and sold (see: Nestle selling off water from California during the drought.)

Even still, bottled water is usually worse than tap water. Tap water is regulated by the EPA which imposes regulation on particle deposits, contamination levels, etc; whereas drinking water is regulated by the FDA who really doesn't do much in regards of regulations.
>>
File: asuka_drinking_waterfountain.jpg (63 KB, 444x333) Image search: [Google]
asuka_drinking_waterfountain.jpg
63 KB, 444x333
Literally the best and most informative thread on /g/ right now.
>>
>>52662129

Yeah but what about the chemicals in tap water when they had to clean it?
>>
>>52662128
yeah but people act like it's a panacea and that acidic or neutral water is the source of all evil.
there are people out there, RIGHT NOW, that believe water that has been run through an ionizer is more pure and more clean to drink.

its a diet craze and a meme
>>
>>52662204

But it is more clean and pure? Don't you know what ionizers do? It separates the acidic water and alkaline water

If you could be 1% more healthy water, wouldn't you drink that one?
>>
>>52662129
wal mart bottles local tap water

i was drinking some of wal marts brand water and read the source. it said it came from some town about 20 minutes away. maybe this town just happens to be a major supplier for wal mart water but i doubt it. i'd bet they're doing the same thing all over the place bottling local tap water and selling it nearby.
>>
>>52662193
A little chloramine?
Bitch, we are HUMANS. We have the most God-awesome metabolisms and buffering mechanisms of any creature on the planet. It is our *superpower*. We eat things as candy that kill most other organisms dead.
>>
File: maxresdefault2.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault2.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>fish, with males developing eggs in their testes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/drinking-water-contaminated-by-excreted-drugs-a-growing-concern-1.2772289
>>
>live in southern Alberta
>Americans buy water bottled downstream from us

Honestly I don't even care. I just drink straight from the tap
>>
>>52662237
its not cleaner or more pure tho. now you just have 2 sets of water that have different KINDS of impurities. it's only use is if you only have acidic or only alkaline impurities in your local area. in which case you'll get pure water on the other end. but that is very rare, and it's useless. as stated earlier pure water is bad and you can have mineral deficiencies from it.
>>
>>52662282

>mineral deficiencies

Just take a multivitamin and stop drinking acidic water.
>>
>>52662297
Or eat a fucking vegetable.
>>
>>52662237
You're not going to be any healthier if you drink acidified or alkalized water. That isn't how your body works. The degree of nutritional destitution you'd need to be in before this made any real impact is utterly third world, and then, you're better of buying better food and not some bs water ionizer.

What you actually have to worry about is methane and lead, but as a rule, neither of these are a problem in today's developed world either.
>>
>>52662265

I thought filters got rid of everything?
>>
>>52659713
>trusting water ever
lmao you plebs dont know nothin
>>
>>52662297
alkaline water is as bad as acidic water. quit being retarded. Ph 7 with balanced mineral levels is the only good choice when it comes to drinking water, simple as that.
>>
>>52662322
how's the precious bodily fluids old man?
>>
>>52662322

extracting the water from a 2 liter bottle of soda would be healthier at this point.

I think i'm going to try this and report back with results.
>>
>>52659713
I put a 1000μF capacitor between the tap and the drain of my sink to reduce the ripple.
>>
>>52662128
Yes, but not alkalized water. Only alkaline food.
>>
>>52662356
the waste from boiling coca-cola is black, glassy, and rigid, like obsidian.

it also supposedly smells and tastes like shit too.
>>
Public health when it comes to drinking water has always been second to government meddling. See: The continued poisoning and illegal forceful medicating of our water through fluoridation.
>>
>>52662425

Okay everyone threads over, here come the fluoride is bad for you brigade.

Time to go home.
>>
>>52661883

Yeah I don't see the fuss either
>>
>>52662440
indeed.

shall you do the honors of the "/thread", as is tradition?
>>
>>52662440
Fact: Fluoride is recognized as a known neurotoxin.

Fact: Fluoride has been proven to reduce the children's IQs substantially, effectively making the population dumber.

Fact: The introduction of fluoride into drinking water is an example of forced medication of an entire population. In any other setting this would be unethical and illegal.

Fact: The effects of fluoride on dental health are minimal, and greatly exaggerated by those in power.

It's fucking insane that the mainstream media gets the entire country this worked up about one town's lead problem and yet does nothing but ridicule those against the forced medication of an entire country. Flouride has done a HELL of a lot more damage to kids than any amount of lead ever has.
>>
>>52662484

Look at all those sources.

>>52662476

/thread
>>
>>52659713
>2016
>using filters to strip water of important minerals like magnesium
Enjoy you electrolyte imbalance
>>
>>52662484
It's true fluoride made me autistic.
>>
>>52662541
>he blames it on the flouride
okkid
>>
>>52662484
Dihydrogen Monoxide Facts

Dihydrogen monoxide:
Is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
Contributes to the Greenhouse Effect.
May cause severe burns.
Contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
Accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
May cause electrical failures and decreased Effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
>>
>>52659713
Me, only sand because my water is relatively clean*
>except for Fluoride and Chlorine...
Its HARD as fuck though, gott filter it or my coffee machine scales up quicksmart.
>>
>>52662555
>Accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
Passed High School yet?
>>
>>52662616
Not him but in a roundabout-way it's true, he just didn't explain that it's actually due to electrolysis.
>>
>>52662004

ulitimate pleb-tier detected
>>
>>52662640

Jelly of my mountain water?
>>
>>52659713
I live in a small town in Alaska and the water is super dank
>>
>>52662510
>Fact: Fluoride is recognized as a known neurotoxin.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(13)70278-3/abstract

>Fact: Fluoride has been proven to reduce the children's IQs substantially, effectively making the population dumber.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/

>Fact: The introduction of fluoride into drinking water is an example of forced medication of an entire population. In any other setting this would be unethical and illegal.

Self explanatory.

>Fact: The effects of fluoride on dental health are minimal, and greatly exaggerated by those in power.

http://fluoridealert.org/content/who-data/
>>
>>52662671
>>Fact: Fluoride has been proven to reduce the children's IQs substantially, effectively making the population dumber
so the article you linked you either didn't read or understand, it's about "acute fluoride poisoning" ie: you drank a bottle of it
NOT parts per fucking million in a water supply

please post your links about chemtrails and steel beams next sperglord
>>
>>52662671

Ugh, all those sources say about excessive amounts of fluoride. The fluoride in our water is minuscule and doesn't reach the amount in those studies.
>>
>>52662484
Fact: Anon's a two-case a day toothpaste guzzler.
>>
>>52662671
christ.
>>
>>52662638
>electrolysis
>ELECTROLYSIS
>not oxidation
Holy shit, I thought /g/ is half literate. Goodness gracious, it's so bad it's corrosive to brain.
I'll take my leave
>>
i don't need to filter my water, id on't live in the third world.
>>
>>52662727
I linked to a meta-analysis of several different studies, quite a few of those studies examined the effects of fluoride levels similar to what is used in US drinking water.

Take a look at Table 1.
>>
>>52662769
Rust is Oxidisation.
Corrosion is not.
>>
>>52662616
>>52662769
Iron oxide is formed when iron and oxygen react in the presence of dihydrogen monoxide.

Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel.

lmgtfy... fucking retard.
>>
>>52659945
don't go britaing up water man
>>
>>52662827

Why not Anon?
>>
well water

>all these city slickers and their fast internet
>>
Top post
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/430kec/self_refilling_water_bottle/
>>
>>52659713
I'm living in a civilized place, I have clean tap water.
>>
File: 1429208338270.jpg (32 KB, 550x733) Image search: [Google]
1429208338270.jpg
32 KB, 550x733
>>52659713
>tfw I live in flint. This is the last place I expected to hear about the "crisis"
>>
Juneau has really good tap water
>>
>>52662616
>>52662822
>dihydrogen monoxide
At least stop pretending to be a fresh hipster, faggot.
>>
>>52662896
Are you the flouride guy?
>>
>>52662332

Wait water has minerals? What minerals?

I need minerals? are there mineral pills? Is this why I'm always so tired, does soda not carry those minerals
>>
>>52662908
No, he is yet another cancer ITT
>>
>>52662932
Soda probably uses tap water so it does have minerals.
>>
>>52662932
Soda has the minerals.

But it also just has too much sugar, that part is unhealthy and can make you feel tired amongst many other things.

You mostly should drink plain safe water (or various simple teas or other things that are really almost entirely water without any particular amount of substances that have bigger effects on your body).
>>
>>52662952
Most soda factories use Spring water.
>that doesn't sound right spring water is expensive

Soda factories are typically built atop a natural spring - they are draining your groundwater to make their sugared profit.
>>
>>52662932
>Is this why I'm always so tired
maybe.
get some iron
sleep helps

also if you're an underage or if you're one of those anomalies that started puberty at like 17, puberty will make you want to sleep ALOT.
>>
>>52662952
In many places, they use filtered tap water with re-added minerals and stuff to make the product's shelf life more controllable (various place's tap water has varying chlorination and what not over time and the seasons and stuff, it's sometimes not as perfectly controllable as they want).

Basically, Nestle water is what you'd expect it to be - but it doesn't mean that Sodas are a healthy way to take care of your hydration needs.
>>
>>52663000
Yea, when they can get the water supply directly, they do this.

It's cheaper and they don't have to deal with filtering tap water to their specs (rather than the ones of the communal service's specs).
>>
>>52663049

Nestle water tastes so fucking bad

I did'nt know water could have taste until I tried it, like it's fine when it's cold but when it hits room temperature it's nasty
>>
>>52663071
Yeah it's funny how many of the bottled waters taste bad. Personally I think Dasani is pretty much the best common one, but there are a lot of grocery-store brands in the 1-gallon jug that taste fine too.

Anyway, I usually just drink tap water and try not to smell the chlorine.
>>
>>52663109

Enjoy your estrogen and other drugs
>>
>>52663000
>Soda factories are typically built atop a natural spring
Bruh

>>52663049
I'm guessing that they use really good filters so the soda doesn't taste different from different factories.
>>
>>52663071
What I had was fine.

But I didn't mean any specific Nestle product anyways. You can almost say that half the market is Nestle, the other half is Coca Cola, internationally speaking.

Sure, some local supermarket chains and Pepsico also have some market share, but eh, it's very likely that you're drinking Nestle or Coca Cola if you pick up some bottled beverage somewhere at random.
>>
>>52663132
Most are...
>>
File: Untitled.png (369 KB, 1327x601) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
369 KB, 1327x601
I think I'm going to get this one. I have a similar one, that has a filter not changed in like 4 years...lol
>>
>>52663049
>>52663071
Poland Spring is part of Nestle
>In June 2003, Poland Spring was sued for false advertising in a class action lawsuit charging that their water that supposedly comes from springs, is in fact heavily treated common ground water.[10] The suit also states, hydro-geologists hired by Nestlé found that another current source for Poland Spring water near the original site stands over a former trash and refuse dump, and below an illegal disposal site where human sewage was sprayed as fertilizer for many years.[10]
>>
>>52663132
> I'm guessing that they use really good filters so the soda doesn't taste different from different factories.
Yes. Maybe they explained it somewhere in more technical detail, but the marketing rap is this:
http://www.nestle-watersna.com/en/bottled-water-sources-and-quality/spring-water-quality/ourwaterprocesses

Either way, as far as I know, all major beverage producers' factories essentially have a water treatment plant with quality control processes.

You can grab Coca Cola or Nestle in a region with piss poor water and it will be safe...
>>
>>52663162
Unlikely in Australia, there are very few Nestle beverages around, Lipton iced tea is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Coca-Cola is of course huge here, but we've also got Cadbury-Scheweppes and Farmers Union holding the other portions of the market.

Bottled water is almost 100% CCA (Coca-Cola Amatil) territory here.
>>
>>52663188
Sounds like false advertising, yes.

Doesn't sound like they were able to sue over health issues. I guess the water treatment plant again worked...?
>>
>>52659713
>How does /g/ filter their water?

I live by Chicago so i get access to the greatest water on earth, lake Michigan.
>>
>>52660119
The tap here isn't too bad. Years ago when we had a different water company the water was expensive and smelled like chlorine but it's not bad now.
>>
>>52663207
Yea, it can be one or the other primarily too, they kinda act like a cartel.

I mean, they have a nice strategic partnership, plz don't kill me!

(And they're not in every last place, but it's very noticeable overall).
>>
>>52663219
It was a response to
>Basically, Nestle water is what you'd expect it to be
>>
>>52663272
From context, I obviously meant that primarily in the healthiness / contents sense.

Not in the sense of whatever marketing points they slap on it.

It perhaps wasn't "spring" water from an enchanted landscape with free-range animals, but it was safe water with the contents and shelf life as were marked on the bottle, no?
>>
>>52663183
Source? I'd expect only the richest soda makers could afford to use their own source of water instead of filtering tap water.
>>
>>52663272
Ah, and if I saw this right, they didn't even win that one lawsuit.

Seems like they just settled, and the nature of the settlement (Nestle giving some money to charity rather than to the plaintiffs) would suggest they had no particular point and Nestle just wanted to let them keep face in exchange for not having to deal with more PR damage, right or not.

Not saying Nestle is absolutely right, but innocent until proven guilty, eh.
>>
>>52663432
Most Soda companies are owned by big conglomerates.

Besides buying water rights is usually cheap. The towns and cities that sell them want a quick buck and just sell them.

Later on they often become jelly on how much profits the respective companies made, but usually of course they sold them permanently... being a big experienced bottled water / soda company is nice.
>>
File: Poland-Spring-Logo1.jpg (127 KB, 900x610) Image search: [Google]
Poland-Spring-Logo1.jpg
127 KB, 900x610
>>52663446
Totally not misleading at all.
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>52663493
Nobody managed to show that their water didn't qualify as natural spring water in court.

The plaintiffs sued and then they gave up (they settled for Nestle only giving donations to charity). So I guess they didn't have much of a point...
>>
>>52661939
What a great honour
>>
Live in Utrecht, NL
Best tap water ever. On one side of the street is the tapwater company, directly opposite is a water bottle company. Both are pumping up the same water. mfw, bottled water out of my taps.
>>
Tap water + countertop filter
It works I guess
>>
>>52662802
Nope. The recommended fluoridation range was 0.7 to 1.2 milligrams per liter (they changed it to 0.7 in 2015). Out of all of the groups listed in that table, only one drank water with fluoride levels below that (0.88 mg/L is listed as a high). Everyone else is above it.
>>
>>52663582
>countertop filter
What one?
>>
>>52663525
There could be a lot of reasons why the suit went the way it did. The text I quoted showed that the water Spring used was NOT spring water. It literally didn't fit the definition. It was ground water which is what people are scared of.
>>
>>52663591
Waterchef C7k
>>
>>52663595
No, the plaintiffs alleged that it was so.

Poland Springs / Nestle disagreed all along.

Ultimately the plaintiffs settled with nothing won for themselves, or Poland Springs changing anything, so I count that as a loss for the plaintiff's arguments. I guess it is spring water by some US definition, safe, and all that.
>>
I drink from a Berkey filter with the fluoride/Arsenic filter. Taste delicious and I get cleaner water than most people.
>>
>>52663706
>The suit was settled in September 2003, with the company not admitting to the allegations, but agreeing to pay $10 million in charity donations and discounts over the next 5 years.[11]
>implying that is not admitting to guilt
>>
>>52663759
Pure placebo. I drink tap water because my city government isn't impoverished.
>>
>>52659713
sorry OP I live in germany and we have perfect tapwater here. No need to filter it in anyway and it compete with buyable water or beats it.
Wahnbachtalsperre best tap water :3
>>
>>52663912
Watch out. There might be mudslimes in your pipes now.
>>
> live in NYC
> have the best tap water in America
Pretty great
Especially now when the water is nice and extra cold.
>>
>>52659731
underrated post
>>
I actually give a shit because I live in the boonies, on a well system, and I'd like to fucking shower in stuff that isn't disgusting.

We've got a softener, but it was poorly maintained for a long time. I think we've also got Iron Bacteria, which is a thing by the way, so we'll probably need chlorination. Aside from all that even, I'd like to put in a whole-house filter.
>>
>>52659879
>water tastes better than water

wew
>>
>>52659713
I have no plumbing to my property so I have rainwater tanks.

I can't drink city water anymore.
>>
>>52664435
Rainwater tanks aren't supposed to be used for potable supply
>>
>>52659713

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005LJ8EXU
for flouride, pharmaceuticals, etc from the tap

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KEAMG0S
only thing that can do a good job removing chlorine from a shower
>>
>>52664496
I don't drink it straight from the tank, it is filtered before it enters the tank, sediment ends up on the bottom of the tank leaving clean water on the top. It then leaves the tank and is filtered again.

I also have a tap in my kitchen that has a filter system just for drinking water.
>>
File: hetchy.gif (214 KB, 1560x1144) Image search: [Google]
hetchy.gif
214 KB, 1560x1144
I don't.
>>
>>52664546
>It then leaves the tank and is filtered again.
I hope your filters are tight enough to screen out all the bird shit, bat shit and other assorted pathogens.
Our water supply has multiple reservoirs where the water sits undisturbed for 5 years so the pathogens die out.
>>
Live in southern Indiana. My town had 14th best ranked tap water in nation as of 2009 aka last time I checked. Water tastes like Jesus. People who have been to my house just want water from me. I offer them drinks noo. They just say "I want some of your water it tastes so good"
>>
>>52664786
that's nice, but you still have to live in indiana
>>
By not living in a third world country where you drink mud water from rivers.
>>
File: 1451070441144.jpg (860 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451070441144.jpg
860 KB, 1920x1080
>not having your water filtered by the corpse of a long dead volcano
baka, desu, ohana
>>
>>52664786
I'm skeptical. Indiana is infamous for hard water.

>>52664855
Truth. Maybe three livable places in the state and I don't know where they are.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

The stuff they use in space, if it's good enough for astronauts, it's certainly better than drinking tap water
>>
>>52659713
By not living in a 3rd world country.
Just try it once it's really great.
>>
>>52659713

I just fill a 5gal jug at those water filtering machines they have at the grocery store for $2. Water where I live is heavily chlorinated. It's like drinking pool water.
>>
>>52665385
except it loses it's minerals
>>
my tap water smells like a swimming pool.
>>
I use my anus to filter tap water
>>
>>52662484
Fact: the abovementioned Facts apply to pure fluoride (or are simply uninformed opinions)
Fact: Fluoride has the highest electronegativity and reacts with anything that is nearby
Fact: Fluoride bonds are fucking stable as fuck and even with lab equipment you will have trouble extracting fluoride from its compounds
>>
>>52666741
Are you a retard or what? You get minerals from food and fruits you eat, minerals in untreated water can't be absorbed by human bodies and just clogs up your arteries and urinary tract
>>
>>52662089
doesn't the distilled water actually absorb nutrients from your own body?
>>
>>52661742
Kek
>>
>>52664390
>Can't taste the difference between different waters
You're probably only drinking soda.
>>
mineral water only
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoK4Pk_Nec
>>
>>52659713
I buy bottled water and bless it before drinking it
>>
File: 1453606215801.jpg (88 KB, 780x761) Image search: [Google]
1453606215801.jpg
88 KB, 780x761
>>52660285
>>
>>52662896
actually it's not dihydrogen monoxide, it's hydrogen hydroxide. There is no such thing as dihydrogen monoxide as hydrogen does not bond with its self. for water to form it takes a hydroxide ion and a hydrogen atom.
>>
>>52670665
>hydrogen hydroxide
>not oxidane
>>
>>52670932
>Not Poly-hydroxy-hydroxide
>>
I live in Korea, have for a few years. Everyone here I know only drinks bottled or filtered water, but I've always drunk tap water and never had any problems. Have saved a tonne of money and hassle in the process. Unless you have AIDS or something, whatever doesn't kill you...
>>
>>52671085
In most first-world countries tap water is usually at least of as high quality as most bottled water. Your municipal water supplier has to meat stricter quality directives. And tap water is A LOT cheaper and creates way less garbage.
>>
>>52671137
Korea has developed so fast, people can still remember when the water wasn't good to drink, and the habit has stuck with most people. I've looked and the government / water authorities say the tap water is fine to drink now, which is my experience, but most people still don't believe it.
>>
>>52671199
Even in countries where water has been safe to drink in ages a majority of people still buy bottled water. Might have something to do with marketing. You don't see advertisement for tap water.
Your water supplier doesn't gain from it. (The amount of water you drink is very small compared to the amount you use otherwise.)
>>
>>52659971
I am a water engineer. Unless your source of water is salty seawater then reverse osmosis is overkill. It is too expensive, it's like sending your dishes to the nearest Hilton hotel to get them washed. It will do the job, but it is the most expensive way I can imagine. Nano or micro membrane filtration should be enough and cost like 1% of reverse osmosis. Whoever sold you that tricked you. And there is likely even cheaper ways to deal with the smell. Try a tiny bit of chlorine, not enough that you will taste the chlorine, but just a bit to remove taste and smell. If the water is not too contaminated then you don't need much. Chlorine (or bleach you might call it) is used to remove smell, taste and color all the time. Put a little bit in a bottle of coke and it turns clear and is no longer sweet. Never use enough to taste the chlorine because it is reactive. The reason it works is because it breaks down molecules that give taste and smell by 'oxidizing' it.

But it is a pain in the ass because you need to let the water sit for a while and react , easier to get micro or nano membrane filtration if you need serious filtration. But reverse osmosis is wasting your money, it's like using a university super computer to shitpost on /g/
>>
>>52663838
Really faggot? Berkey are the only purification class gravity filter in the consumer market, you could run your cities sewrage water through there and not die

http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/

Independent verification
>>
Is it an American thing to have shitty tasting tap water? You guys always seem to buy bottled water...
>>
File: 1404066303190_.png (36 KB, 241x230) Image search: [Google]
1404066303190_.png
36 KB, 241x230
>>52659713

> drinking tap water
>>
>>52659999
I am a water engineer, how can you have reverse osmosis filter under your tap? You need huge pressure (like at least 10 atmospheres to use such filters) if you have such pressures inside your pipes then you risk destroying your washing machine and other equipment that use water. You will likely break your cups if you ever took off that filter and how do you shower with such water pressure? You are going to injure yourself. Unless "reverse osmosis" is just used as a marketing term and don't actually refer to the concept. Because where do the concentrate go? In reverse osmosis you have two flows, the clean water and a concentrate of the filth, because the holes are too small to get all the water through.
>>
>>52662297
this, Thorne Al's formula + spirulina + based krill oil and you are ahead if the health game
>>
>>52671819
>living in a shithole when you can't drink fucking water

I know what you will reply: that I cannot afford bottled water or some shit. bad for you son, that you have to go to the store to get water. Fucking water.
>>
>>52661883
my nigga
>>
>>52659713
west Texas here, the tap water tastes like shit with like 51 grains of hardness iirc
house has water softener, kitchen sink has a reverse osmosis faucet for potable water
>>
>>52671917
But I don't "live in a shithole where you can't drink tap water" (: I just don't like it. Everywhere I've been, I did not drink tap water (:
>>
>>52661876
Drinking water from /pool/ because you know its clean... Sounds smart !
>>
>>52661883
Bottled water is tap water that is just sitting there turning into plastic/tap water or as I've recently taken to calling it tap water plus plastic
>>
>>52671777
We can afford to buy bottled water unlike you're third world nation.
>>
>>52671740
Nono its pure placebo ;^)
>>
>>52659713
is she drying condoms?
>>
>>52671740
>>
>>52662406
Waterphile gtfo with your placebo shit
>>
>>52672488
In the interest of diversity, I'd prefer if you used the term "liquiphile", thanks.
>>
I just buy a fuckton of aquafina 32-pack cases. I get them for $4 a case where I live. I can almost last the entire month with just 4 cases.
>>
>>52661883

i only drink bottled water

and I only buy glass bottles

you can taste the plastic otherwise
>>
The water bottle companies drive up to fire hydrants in my town and fill their truck full of water, you dont need to filter tap
>>
>>52672654

They don't, though

that's illegal
>>
>>52672654
No, actually you do. Tap water can be contaminated by lead pipes and the chlorine/fluoride levels can make the water taste pretty bad.
>>
>>52662425
Stfu hippy shouldnt you be drinking your goat milk?
>>
I don't need to. The same water that you find in most bottled waters is the water that comes out of my tap.
>>
>>52672352
WHO WAS FUCKED UP ENOUGH TO MAKE THIS GRAPH
>>
>>52672684
Maybe in california but not washington
>>
>>52668884
You'll fuck up your salt balance if you only drink distilled water, which could kill you.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/2250/death-because-of-distilled-water-consumption
>>
>>52673138
Read the fucking site. Only drinking distilled water is perfectly fine as long as you eat, too.
If you stop eating (for whatever reason) it will become dangerous.
>>
>>52673106
No, literally everywhere you run the risk of having your tap water being contaminated by lead. Even if the pipes are copper, the solder used could have lead. And like I said the chlorine/fluorine in the water can taste pretty bad.

Look I'm not even saying install a $1,000 filtration system in your home just to fucking drink water but you at least need something that filters out most of the lead. Those $20 faucet PUR filters at most stores do just that.
>>
File: 1453966796024.jpg (62 KB, 396x691) Image search: [Google]
1453966796024.jpg
62 KB, 396x691
Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.