[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw walking into your local tech store and challenging the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 18
File: thrift shop.png (853 KB, 1000x537) Image search: [Google]
thrift shop.png
853 KB, 1000x537
>tfw walking into your local tech store and challenging the staff with super hard tech questions
>tfw they are so fucking dumb and retarded
>>
>>52100712
If they knew shit about anything they wouldn't have such a dead end job
Lower your expectations
>>
Wow you showed them, those regular people that are just there to help people and make a few bucks.
>>
They don't employ tech-savvy people in consumer tech stores, because it would hurt their sales.

Consumer tech is sold based on buzzwords and looks, not actual practicality and usability of it
>>
>>52100727
>>52100734
These
>>
>>52100745
>They don't employ tech-savvy people in consumer tech stores, because actual tech-savvy people are able to get more lucrative jobs

FTFY
>>
got to pcworld, hdd section. all 5400rpm.
walk out.
>>
>>52100770
>implying rpm is relevant
/g/
>>
>be tech support clerk
>OP with an LCD display on belt that says "g33k", a fedora and trenchcoat walks in
>stutters "d-do y-you k-k-now a-about linked lists"
>me and the other clerk look at each other and laugh nervously
>we reply no then laugh about him the entire day
>>
>>52100712
There is no degree that prepares you for a tech store job. These are normal salesman who just happen to sell you computers.

People like you make me sick.
>>
>>52100809
it is
>>
>>52100848
Nope
>>
>>52100809
Gotta go fast
>>
>>52100845

but doesn't it make them useless?
>>
>>52100887
Useless? They're very good at selling computers.
>>
>>52100809
>>52100848
>>52100860
interesting discussion familia
>>
I work at Best Buy. You /g/ people might represent 0.01% of the customers we get. To be honest this job doesn't require a lot of knowledge about tech, that's why a lot of the employees are pretty much clueless about it. All they want from an employee is the be a good seller and to sell a lot of service plan. They actually don't care about you like the major part of their employees.
>>
>>52100823
Kek
>>
>>52100823
>be tripfag
>get filtered
>>
>>52100712
You do realise these are minimal wage people with little to no education, right? Also I guarantee they laugh their assed off when you leave and go for a beer and forget about your autistic outburst.
>>
>>52100969
>tfw went to Bestbuy to help my sister choose a laptop
>associate wants to sell her some extended warranty plus some shit virus protection
>keep telling her to just say no
>associate looks visibly frustrated and angry
>we walk out of there without being robbed
I swear women are so gullible
>>
>>52101390
>go for a beer
>on the job
yeah sure
>>
>>52101401
..yeah. you seriously think people dont drink any alcohol while working? you must be a NEET. just dont get wasted and youre good. besides, I meant after their shift.
>>
>>52101421
Not in the US they don't, after work maybe yeah
>>
>>52101391
Reminds me of my dad
>Dad says he wants a new cellphone to replace the one he destroyed when he fell off his brother's boat
>Asks me about a particular model his friend has
>Tell him it's no good and we agree that we're going to go and buy him a new cellphone together
>Calls me up a few days later and goes "Anon, I bought a new phone. Could you come and help me set it up and show me how to use it?"
>Come over to find that he's bought exactly the phone that I told him not to buy
>Phone is naturally a piece of shit
>Turns out he had gone to look at a store on his own and the sales clerk had convinced him to buy it
Shit... You'd expect more from a doctor, right?
>>
>>52101487
Normies are ALWAYS like this when it comes to buying technology.
The salespeople are trusted for some reason.
They've been trained to do this though, it's no coincidence that people aren't very sceptical any more. They've been trained.
You think christmas music is played for the season? No, it's played because it's trained people that it's time to spend money.
>>
>>52101439
>no liquid lunches in the US
bullshit
>>
i worked at compusa while i was in college. i'd always try to sell people macs first unless they absolutely needed a PC lol
>>
>>52101487
fucking normies, amirite?
>>
>>52101487
Still wasn't the most annoying experience with that damn thing
>A year later dad asks me about some software update notification he's getting all the time
>Tell him that he probably should update the phone and that it's a pretty simple process
>Says he's not sure about it and asks me to do it for him
>Next time I'm over I do it for him
>A couple of months after that my mother calls me and asks about some data charges on his phone bill
>Somewhat confused I point out that my dad was supposed to have a data package on his phone and this should have fallen under it as I set it up
>Turns out that she decided that he didn't need it and had it removed
>Now starts asking about why I did the software update
>Explain to her the idea and the benefits of software updates
>Asks again why my dad's phone needed updating
>Explain to her once again the purpose and benefits of software updates
>Asks the same question again, obviously trying to get me to give her the answer she wants
>Goes on for a few rounds before she just goes "Well don't do it again" and hangs up
Then again we're talking about a person who never updates anything on her computer. If it wasn't for me she'd be running XP with no service packs.
>>
>>52101560
>tries to make as much profit as possible for his employer by jewing customers
>probably got paid minimum wage
You should be a 4chan moderator
>>
>>52101401
>implying they are not professional beer tasters
>>
File: OP.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>52100712
You shure showed them OP
>>
>>52101576
Why don't you just let her run XP with no service packs though
>>
>>52101576
Did you fuck her?
>>
I know a guy that recently bought a wifi extender because the Best Buy sales person told him it was a router despite what the box said
>>
>>52100712

This post is fake, you are fake, everyone responding seriously to this is retarded. I'm betting you're Australian, shitposter
>>
>>52101653

... You're lying, why the fuck would you come and lie about that. No salesman would bother doing that because it's an easily returnable item that will be promptly refunded when they find out they can't use it. Also they don't make sales commission anyways so no point. Fuck off
>>
>>52101653
Holy fuck, Best buy is such a scam. I know a guy at work who said he paid Geeksquad $200 to rid his laptop of viruses. Months later he tells me his computer is still slow as shit and full of viruses. If I had known he needed his computer cleaned, I would've done it for free. Fucking Bestjews.
>>
>>52101611
XP with no service packs is vulnerable to all sorts of shit.
Not even a smart user can run unpatched XP safely.
>>
>>52101611
Stock XP has a limited firewall that's hidden away and disabled by default. It wasn't until SP2 that the windows firewall was introduced and was enabled by default.
>>
>>52101720
who cares
you're mum is not a tinfoil hat /g/tard, just let her browse the web.
>>
>>52101699

As far as I'm concerned PCs shouldn't require much software maintenance anymore unless you're an idiot and click yes and install everything you see. A little sense will tell you if something is legit. If you can't figure that out and take it to geeksquad they're going to Know you're incompetent, because by definition only someone incompetent at technology would ever go there.
>>
>>52101774
You're a literal retard if you use an unpatched XP, you better just be shitposting and not actually serious.
>>
>work at geeksquad
>fix the computers in the back, limited client interaction.
>retards up front and in pc department constantly promising impossible shit, ignore all my emails.
At least the pays good, good bonuses too.
>>
>>52101832
It doesn't make a difference for the average user that his mom is.
>>
>>52101774
Uh, are you retarded? We're not talking about government agencies knowing where she eats, we're talking about russian cryptolocker shits, SSL stripping bank theft and shit like that from opening a fucking jpg or accidentally clicking a dumb 'Doctors hate this woman for inventing 5 neat ways to make money online' ad.
>>
>>52101836
I'm thinking about applying for a job at Geeksquad. What kind of software do you use to fix the computers?
>>
>>52101875
Ok pissskin
>>
>>52101875
lmao
>>
>>52101883
Okay so you're retarded.
When your mom gets infected by cryptolocker and she loses all her stupid cat photos, it's YOU she calls for help.
>>
>>52101894
I would just install xp again, done mum
>>
>>52101875
Are YOU retarded? Why the fuck didn't you install Windows XP SP3 on her computer along with MSE and Adblock?

Problem solved, never have to touch anything afterwards
>>
>>52101872
>>my children spit on me

It was perfect until this line.
Should have said
>my wife's children spit on me
>>
>>52101894
Confirmed pissskin please be silent
>>
File: uwot.jpg (37 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
37 KB, 528x528
>>52100712
literally you
>>
File: 1364994998868.png (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1364994998868.png
38 KB, 500x500
>>52100712
>Expecting people who work bottom end retail to know technical shit about the things they sell.

I drive forklifts at a hardware store, mostly warehousing work but occasionally I gotta' go out the front and you get caught and have to help out some customer with whatever.
People just expect you to know shit, people asking me how to plumb their house, how to best construct a garage on uneven sinking ground, the best way to set up underfloor heating under 9m thick laminate without melting the bottom of it. Just off the top of your head.
Some smelly cunt pulls out half of his toilet ubend out of a dripping lidl bag and presents it to me to diagnose the issue atleast once a week.
If i knew how to wire houses and plaster walls id be out there wiring houses and plastering walls, not moving boxes from one place to another for shit money.

If the people at the stores knew technical stuff, they wouldn't be working in the stores.
>>
>>52101878
This bullshit called MRI. Its basically a crappy version of every clean up script ever made. I use it when there's too many units to work on otherwise its, adwcleaner,panda cloud cleaner, mbam, ccleaner, remove any scheduled task/startup items, optimize it the best I can turning off extra features the client doesn't need, updates, install any a/v's, reset all browsers to get rid of redirects then done! My turn time is pretty low for a precinct (around .8 days) but they expect units out in 2-4 days.
>>
>>52101951
I thought it would be even worse if his OWN children who he is rejected by and cannot even take care of due to being a cuckold and being bullied by his wifes boyfriend spat on him
>>
>>52101968
Oh also DO NOT get caught using anything but the approved tools you will get shitcanned. Also non-client provided recovery media is a no go but no one cares and its expected you make your own. Basically every precinct has a hidden set of windows disc/usb's.
>>
File: 1418952610583.png (108 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1418952610583.png
108 KB, 396x385
>>52100712
>Be me and take in my nephew as a son bc my sister has a meth problem
>It's xmas and he wants rainbow six seige
>go to pic it up
>Decide to pick up a new microphone
>price was to high
>google the microphone and find it on NewEgg for almost half the price
>go to cashier
>disnigger.jpg is confused
>asks me why i would need a microphone
>[email protected]
>Doesn't believe me that you can play games on a computer
>Try to do price match on fucking NEWEGG
>disnigger.jpg claims hes never heard of newegg
>Doesn't think they do price matching for newegg bc it isnt "repeatable"
>tells me i'll get a $10 gift card for buying the microphone and it'll be cheaper than the price match
>can't use it in this transaction
>still claims $80 plus gift card < $45
>just drop everything on the counter
>go into gamestop buy my nephews game and buy the microphone off of newegg
>fuckbestbuy.gif
>>
>>52101836

I didn't think anyone in America actually did PC maintenance at geeksquad. Isn't the whole scam just the guys up front aren't techs just sales guys and the "repairs" are done by Rajeesh using some remote access PC commander software. And if Rajeeshs script fails to work it's thrown into a UPS truck and sent off to a central facility
>>
>>52102038
Most geek squads yes, they pay me good enough so I do a good job and actually fix shit. We have people who drive out of their way when other bestbuys are closer to come to ours. When I cant fix something (needs a bios flash, would cost too much for me to fix it) I send them to the local guy down the street.
>>
>>52102038
Oh also the guys up front have a sales tracker, the dudes in the back like me do not.
>>
>>52101894
>not installing Linux Mint on it with a Windows related theme along with Chrome for her cooking videos and fb
>implying she would know the difference as long as it just werked
>>
>>52102064

Having to follow their rules to fix computers would drive me batshit insane. I mean if my parents or a friend is having a major problem I'll usually just install a new windows partition using a Bootable usb, copy over their documents and pictures from the previous install, and put adblocks and CCleaner to keep things tidy before nuking the old diseased windows installation.

Don't think I could handle the goody twoshoes corporate script
>>
>>52102097
This.
My mom now likes Ubuntu unity more than windows because it's "easy to use"
>>
>>52102097
Well yes, that's what you would do.
What you would not do is install XP without any updates or service packs, which is what we were talking about.

Mint is a great little solution.
>>
>>52102133
>I mean if my parents or a friend is having a major problem I'll usually just install a new windows partition using a Bootable usb, copy over their documents and pictures from the previous install, and put adblocks and CCleaner to keep things tidy before nuking the old diseased windows installation.
This is exactly what I do 99% of the time. My boss is completely tech illiterate, so as long as I'm not shoving it in his face I'm good.
>>
Tech savy salesman/repair guy here, I haven't encountered a single customer who can surpass my knoledge yet, but Im a fucking nerd.
I BTFO people who even thought they knew stuff like
"This 2GB gpu is totally rad", talking about a GT610 card, or
"I want an HD router, they told me it needed to be HD", then I proceeded to explain how a router speed is what matters and that a single g router, not even n or ac would be considered "hd" for them, recommending her a modest N router for cheap.... later her bought the most costly AC router we had. Shame, I tried to help.
>>
>>52101993
What would happen if you use a non approved software and still got rid of the problem?
>>
>>52102144
And I'm guessing you haven't had to fix her computer since?
>>
>>52102191
As long as the units are flying out and no one complains everything is fine.
>>
OP your autism is showing
>>
>>52101993
This, you're not supposed to use anything besides their approved tools. I'm surprised >>52101968 hasn't been fired. This is one of the reason why Geeksqaud computer cleanups are so shitty. >>52101699
>>
>>52102193
Yes,she just uses furryfox and doesn't have root privileges.so nothing is broken
>>
>>52102220
The only reason they haven't fired me is I get results and everyone else is a drooling retard compared to me. My old supervisor knew at least some shit and let me do whatever the fuck I wanted. New guy is a complete retard but at least knows it.
>>
>>52101581

this wont work... because the mods DO IT FOR FREE
>>
>>52102163
Is this a troll?

Salesmen confirmed for tech illiterate I guess.
>>
>>52102298
I thought everyone knew that.
>>
>>52102298
>Is this a troll
>Doesn't point out the incongruency
No, you're the troll anon.
>>
>>52100712
I work in one of them. Nobody in my store except me know much at all about technology but that doesn't really matter one single bit in the job. Your job is to sell a product. The level of understanding required to sell something for the average person walking in is stupendously small.

As an example, for smartphones selling points would be something like a camera and a display the phone has. If you start talking about resolution half the customers are lost already. So you say "it has a really sharp display, just look" and then let the customer try it. Megapixels are something people often ask about as it's just an easy number. It's also a good example of something everyone knows about but doesn't understand one bit.

The point is, an average customer doesn't understand anything. You could come up with any kind of description for whatever technology related question they have and they are satisfied when they get the answer - right or wrong - but it rarely even goes that far. Usually they just want to hear what are they getting for their money. Even if the product they are buying is a piece of technology, that's not what people are interested in.

Then there's the minority who actually know their shit and know what they want. These have done their research before entering to the store and usually only want a hands-on on a device they are looking to buy before committing. They might have some tricky questions but they are just buyers like anyone else, wanting to know more about a product but in a different way. And then there are the few special cases who come to the store, knowing a lot and ask the salesperson questions they themselves already know an answer to but it's likely that the salesperson won't.

Selling is not about being able to memorize specs or understanding anything what is going on under the hood of the products you sell. Expecting a retail salesperson to do that is stupid but even more stupid is to intentionally put them on a spot.
>>
>>52102355
>The point is, an average customer doesn't understand anything. You could come up with any kind of description for whatever technology related question they have and they are satisfied when they get the answer - right or wrong - but it rarely even goes that far.
Until they find out they were lied too and are screaming at customer service/ geeksquad.
>>
>>52102355
They also hire really good looking people. I went to a Bestbuy in New Mexico and to my amazement half of the sales staff where blonde bimbo chicks. They were dumb as rocks.
>>
>>52102411
Sales people are so dishonest
>>
>>52102453
It's a lesson learned and forgotten so often among the consumer market.
>>
>>52102469
>tfw sales people being dishonest has really made you apprentice consumer reviews
>tfw I now search for reviews on fb, amazon, yelp etc. anytime I want to buy a new product or service
>>
>>52101965
I'm a young wage slave going to school and work at kmart. I've gotten lots of retards asking me questions that make me question if they are really adults.

Though what I really think lots of them are doing is just reassuring themselves. If I read the box instead of them they suddenly believe it. If I wasn't there 75% of Normies do figure it out.
>>
>>52102411
I said you could, not that you should. Straight up lying in a job will backfire quickly and anyone doing that won't last long in a store. It's a lot better just to admit that you don't know and then offer the customer you'll find and answer if there's something they really do want to know. Google is pretty nice tool.

Another example, people often have questions about specific apps, devices or the combinations of the two they use but we don't sell or have any responsibility of. They queue in even before the store opens just to ask it. Most of them are easy to answer with personal experience of devices but some are so specific to the customer's usage that you'll have to use Google for help. Answer is usually found in a couple of seconds and when this happens, I often just tell the customer straight up that I just Googled it for you which you could've done with that smartphone in your hand.

>>52102448
Not where I work but I guess that helps, too.

>>52102453
Sad but true too often. I've seen it enough times and handling those angry customers a week after they've been lied to about a product is the worst. Being honest and not selling shit gets you pretty far - assuming you can actually sell.
>>
OP claiming victory over disinterested minimum wagers, film at eleven.

Way to raise that bar, OP.
>>
>>52101390
>minimal wage
you're one of them
>>
>>52101439
I'm in the US right now drinking a cold one on break with my buddy
>>
>>52100823
>LCD display
stopped reading
>>
Here is my best buy story time
>Ordered a laptop from the website to store
>get laptop and check specs
>wrong/under clocked processor
> take it back ask for laptop with correct processor
>geeksquad tells my its clockspeed is lower be cause it has to store the os.
>MFW
>>
File: 1438814750284.jpg (44 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1438814750284.jpg
44 KB, 251x231
>>52103217
>mfw you have no face
>>
>>52100770
>>52100809
SSD has 0rpm
Atheists: 0
/g/: 0
>>
>>52103217
>implying they weren't right and you weren't just sperging out over nothing
>>
>walk into Best buy
>walk up to street shitter
>"Hey buddy do you have any laptop that somes with arch"
>looks at me with a blank street shitting stare
>"Okay buddy would i be able to install gcc on this chrome book?
>"Sir this is a chrome book"
>Wow you suck 0/10
>do a 360
>moon walk away
>>
Uhm yeah best buy fuck boys don't know shit.
>>
>>52103291
Wrong, World spins around once per 24 hours, so SSD has 0,0007 RPM

/g/: 1

you: 0
>>
File: 1414026197487.png (350 KB, 374x366) Image search: [Google]
1414026197487.png
350 KB, 374x366
>>52100712
OP is pic related
>>
>>52103463
>yfw besides the looks, this guys probably has his shit together, probably has a wife, family, job, homeowner
>>
>>52103521
>mfw looked up fedora fag on google images and this was one of the first results
>>
>mfw when geek squad employee at local best buy couldn't help me find an rj11 cord for my phone.

Kek'd all the way out of the store. Fucking idiots.
>>
>>52103521
>>52103583
>>52103730
>no faces actually posted
>>
>>52103954
>>52103730
>>
>>52100712
You are the definition of a loser
>>
File: Huffing glue.png (1 MB, 1033x740) Image search: [Google]
Huffing glue.png
1 MB, 1033x740
>>52101634
>fucking anyone but your sister
Disgusting.
>>
>>52100887
Just because they can't conform to your autism doesn't make them useless as employees. They can still sell that stuff to normal non-technical people.

Face it OP, people like you are outliers that most business don't bother attracting because there is no winning with people like you.
>>
>>52101531
>You think christmas music is played for the season? No, it's played because it's trained people that it's time to spend money.

Never thought about it like that. I always thought they played the music to please normies and boomers or on simple principle and tradition alone.
>>
>Walk into PCWorld looking for a quick cheap GPU
>immediately asked if I need help
>fuck it why not, ask her where the graphics cards are
>she looks at me like I just pulled my cock out
>tells me I should go somewhere else
>Personal Computer World
>walk home confused as fuck and order a 2nd hand card off Amazon

To this day I still wonder if I walked into the wrong store and didn't realise it. I hope not because the place next to it was a pet shop.
>>
>>52104376
>Never thought about it like that.
because you didn't have your tinfoil thinking cap on friend
>>
>>52101487
>>Phone is naturally a piece of shit

Sounds like you're naturally a piece of shit and just blaming your incompetence on the phone.
>>
>>52104326
Well said, this guy knows whats up.
>>
>>52100848
>it is

5400 vs 7200rpm is like watching retards fight. No one wins except the physical illness itself
>>
>>52104775
The disk is spinning faster so it extracts memory quicker.

What the fuck is so hard to understand about that?
>>
Wow, so you're going to nag people who are making $8/hour at some shitty job?

I hope you get raped by an Ox.
>>
>>52104326
>Face it OP, people like you are outliers that most business don't bother attracting because there is no winning with people like you.

Also, along with their know-it-all attitude, autists are generally cheap as fuck. I had a spaz customer who was inspecting all the price tags to see if they were wrong. He also looked for open-box damaged products so he could sleaze his way into a deal. All throughout the process he was bragging about his future build.

The entire technology industry is fueled by normal average people, not /g/ (which is 99% poor and autistic).
>>
>>52104678
Because some phones don't suck. Because iPhones don't exist.
>>
>>52103373
I think you knew he wouldn't know what you're talking about and asked anyway because it made you feel intellectually superior.

Gigantic sign of stupidity btw, you arrogant fuckwit.
>>
File: gentlesnake.jpg (124 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
gentlesnake.jpg
124 KB, 500x496
>>52103373
nice memes I r8 9/11 but besides that
>>52100712
I wish I could overhear a retarded discussion like that at least once when I visit a store
would walk over and laugh at you
>>
>>52100712
>in the vidya shop
>buying an xbox controller
>"bro the wireless ones are only an extra five dollarydoos"
>"i'm using it on the computer tho"
>"yeah nah mate i'll throw in the the computer soap dongle thing for free"
>"but i'm using ganoo"
>"HAH! typical freetard. enjoy pacman killing xorg faggot"
>"c-can you just take my money"
>"nah but for real, i'm only having a laugh"
>"heh"
>angrymoot.jpg
>"RETAIL WORKERS ARE SO DUMB..."

true story
>>
>years ago
>need RJ11 plugs, go to radio shack
>get help from middle aged asian guy
>hands me RJ45 plugs
>tell him RJ11, not RJ45
>blank stare

>go to different radio shack
>get help from young nigress
>say I need RJ11 plugs
>she hands me RJ11 plugs

>Stereotypes out the window for that week.
>>
>>52101576
>If it wasn't for me she'd be running XP with no service packs.

this is why forced updates on w10 is good.
>>
File: 1431476640924.jpg (110 KB, 315x274) Image search: [Google]
1431476640924.jpg
110 KB, 315x274
>>52101836
>At least the pays good
>14 bucks an hour is "good"
>>
File: AigisLaugh.jpg (12 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
AigisLaugh.jpg
12 KB, 245x250
>>52106148
>14 dollars per hour of searching for nudes on other peoples' laptops isn't "good"
>>
File: 1451016558583.png (49 KB, 172x159) Image search: [Google]
1451016558583.png
49 KB, 172x159
>>52100712
>tfw autists like OP actually exist
>>
>implying they need hard questions
The last time I was in ShitBuy (years ago) two people did not have a clue what a harddrive was
>>
>>52106471
pretty sure that's a felony these days
more so if they're still in high school
>>
>>52100765
>because actual tech-savvy people are able to get more lucrative jobs
95% of /g/ think they are tech savvy and still neet
>>
>>52104845
Still snail compared to solid state memory. Radial head movement takes most of the search time anyway. (for americans: radial head movement is not dependent on rpm)
>>
>>52106599
>Searching for nudes? Whoa, hold on there m8, who did you take me for, a perv? I was just doing my job, looking for viruses in her Pictures folder
>I saved those pictures to my flash drive so that I could scan them with MBAM at home because they seemed suspicious
>>
>>52101357
fuckin savage
>>
>>52101487
It's like my fucking stepdad
>brother's birthday is in 2 weeks
>said he wanted a good PC for games and work
>step dad insists on getting him the gift
>he doesn't know shit about technology, retard checks his Facebook on chrome on his phone when he has the app itself
>make a list on pcpartpicker of a good $800 budget gaming pc
>show it to step dad before he fucks up the one thing my brother wanted
>starts going on how building computers can be hard and if done wrong can waste money
>literally cringe, considering my youngest brother literally builds computers in high school for his technology class
>explain to him I know what I'm doing and to just buy 1/2 the parts and I'll buy the other 1/2
>email him all the parts/links/.etc, and tell him to tell me which parts he buys so I can buy the rest
>2 weeks later
>never got a single fuckin email
>brother's birthday comes up
>step dad pulls this out of his room;
>http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Touchscreen-F0AS0014US-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00MCJR3Q6
>fucking-
>brother pretends to be all excited
>next day
>look up computer, find the link above
>it's over a thousand fucking dollars
>and worse than what I could have built in every way
>say fuck this shit, tell my brother he could have gotten something x3 better, $300 cheaper but our step dad didn't listen
>he's pissed now too
>tell him he can bitch our step dad out, and go back home (I live across the state from my family)

I don't know if my brother bitched him out for giving him a piece of shit over a good pc, but I hope he did. I'm still pissed off about this and it's been a month.
>>
>>52100823
>savage
>filtered
:^)
>>
>>52100809
If it's the bottleneck in your system, then yes.
>>
Wow making fun of people who work unlike some neets and billionaire. Big guys aren't u, these guys get laid with shop qts and you guys use onaholes...
>>
>>52109458
>implying i want a real gf
>implying im not happy fucking my onahole
>imblying
>>
>>52109458
I knew onahole was some sort of sex toy!
>>
>>52109586 <---- me again, damn these J-list manga/hentai commercials on this site give me cancer...
>>
>black friday
>time 2 kill
>wander into reasonably big computer and computer-related devices store to scope deals, snatch bargains from the jaws of fate
>need a wireless print server
>ask where to find print servers
>"I'm sorry, print what? Print server? We have printers"

It's just very frustrating that this time last year I was applying for jobs at stores like these and getting turned away and this man is standing here in a job that could have been my job and he doesn't even know what a print server is, he's never heard the phrase before, like how did he even get hired, how does he function in this environment
>>
>>52100712
What do you expect from CS students?
>>
>>52100712
I'm one of those people you talk to, however, I'm usually quite honest with the people who come in.

I'm no genius when it comes to technology, but I do know more than the average consumer that comes into my store. That being said, I am quite upfront with them in letting them know if I don't know something. When that happens, I'll try to look it up, read through it, and let them know (unless it's something I'd have to research, and in that case, I'd just tell them what I *think* it is, but they should research it a bit more to be on the safe side).

I don't try to overwhelm people when it comes to tech stuff, as most of them couldn't give two shits about the technical details about them, but I have managed to tell people that they don't need the little digital-to-analog converter box for their brand new 4K television, or some minor troubleshooting things.

I've had a number of people come back and ask specifically for me to help them and explain what certain things are, and why doing X causes Y. I take my time, I don't bullshit people, and I don't work off commission, which makes it even easier for me. If I don't get a sale, it doesn't really affect my paycheck. If I do get a sale, then hey, that's a plus for me.

At the moment, I'm only working there because I'm working at going through school to get my degree. Once I get my degree, I'm sure I'll be able to find something that pays more, and is less stressful.

But yes, OP. In 99% of cases, you're right. Not every single person is a retard, but there sure are a lot of them.
>>
>>52100823
/ t h r e a d
t a
h e
r r
e h
a t
d a e r h t /
>>
>>52109665
>this man is standing here in a job that could have been my job and he doesn't even know what a print server is,
He is a salesman, not a tech enthusiast.
He will sell people stuff and not spend hours discussing the finer points of his fanboi distro.
How many print servers (wireless, yet) do you imagine they sell a year? In the time he wastes on you and your $50 no margin sale he can sell 4 Windows PCs to Joe Sixpack - with warranty.
>>
>>52102872
>Fired
>>
>>52103419
Earth spins around the sun once every 8760 hours and the solar system spins in the milky way once every 250 million years
>>
I once asked a cashier at a tech retailer the L2 cache of the processor inside a laptop I was buying. She went to the back of the store, 15 minutes later, she came back with a pair of Bluetooth speakers. To this day, I still haven't figured out why.
>>
>>52110518
Elle Two Cash

She probably thought you were talking some bullshit about Cash Money Records.
>>
>>52110518
She probably got confused when another customer asked her for help finding a bluetooth speaker on her way to the back and she forgot which customer was which.
>>
>>52100823
Had a good chuckle at this
>>
>walk in to best buy
>I ask: "do you guys sell any ps2 to usb adapters here"
>He responds: "What like the gaming system?
>kek

Can't really blame them though, they aren't all tech literate just doing their job to sell stuff
>>
>buying tech related shit from a physical shop

How and why do people do this? Once you get used to online prices anything else seems like a ripoff.
>>
>>52100712
Why harass minimum wage employees? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>52113859
minimum wage scrubs aren't real people
>>
>>52113859
This. They might as well be replaced by cardboard cutouts.
>>
File: al.jpg (12 KB, 200x242) Image search: [Google]
al.jpg
12 KB, 200x242
>leaving the basement
>leaving moms house
>actually going to a store
>talking to people without explosive spaghetti spilling

I don't fucking think so Tim.
>>
File: a.jpg (108 KB, 902x400) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
108 KB, 902x400
>>52112665
seems like a resonable question
>>
>>52100727
all the people trying to make it through college would like to have a talk with you.
>>
I've actually been impressed the few times I asked employees technical question.

One guy knew about the DVI standard in pretty fair detail and another time a guy was helpful when getting a modem and knew about the DOCIS standard.
>>
They can just lie ya know.
>>
>>52114093
I doubt that is what he had in mind
>>
>go to electronics shop to get a WIFI card
>approach employee at desk in the computer section and ask for one
>he asks, with a really smug expression, if I mean a router
>I try to explain to him what a WIFI card is
>he acts sceptical and implies that I made it all up, tells me that they have none in store, and then informs me that "all pee-see's have WIFI built in these days"
>I tell him to Google it and then leave

This actually happened.
>>
>>52100969
I work at frys. I've seen more old people and gaming teenagers than actual tech knowledgeable people. I'm to the point of giving up on the old people who want to replace their dell optiplex's Pentium with an i7, and the teenage kids who want the edgiest motherboard they can find rather than the best for what they're doing. You really don't need to be very technical because most people don't NEED it. The technical shopper likely already knows what they're looking for anyway.

I feel like I could be more useful since I'm one of the few tech minded salespeople in our department, but if I have to lose my faith in the future to make money, so be it.
>>
>>52114367

Another story from the same shop

>buying mum a tablet for her birthday
>looking at different tablets when an employee approaches me
>immediately tries to sell me an IPad with a slew of buzzwords and marketing terms
>I begin to laugh
>he pauses for a second and then says "You know a bit about this stuff huh? Sorry about that, most people are clueless"
>we have some small chit-chat after that and he tells me some funny stories about retarded customers he had to deal with recently
>I buy a Nexus and leave
>>
File: 1446074381236.png (168 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446074381236.png
168 KB, 400x400
>>52114498
>>52114367
Stop lying, you and I both know this isn't how it went.
>>
>>52114367
I would believe this. Some of the idiots working retail for technology are laughable.
>>
>>52114367
>>I try to explain to him what a WIFI card is

You probably said "I want something that gives me internet for my entire house"

probably vague as fuck. Autism-101
>>
>>52104877
iphones sucks tho

your dad is wiser than you
>>
>>52114498
>"Y-yeah not looking for an i-ipad"
>"oh nice!"
>"okay w-what about android"
>>
File: 1449878205353.png (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1449878205353.png
17 KB, 200x200
>go to local best buy to get a sata cable real quick to plug in another drive; can't be assed to wait for shipping times for something so simple
>be walking around looking for it, employee comes over and asks me if I need any help finding anything
>tell her I need a sata cable
>she looks all confused, asks another employee, who also doesn't know what that is, and ends up having to get the manager to help me find where they had sata cables
>mfw these people are considered 'tech experts' by normies
>>
>In Charge of Local Tech Store
>Read these threads in preparation for when /g/ waddles in to quiz us about highly specific tech questions

But in all honesty; Ive never gotten even a remotely decent question from any customer. Makes me sad.
>>
>>52114786
>not having smug gaymerfuckers asking you if GPUs can be use on laptops
>shatter their fucking arrogance with tech
>>
>>52114835
By decent question I meant anything that actually requires tech knowledge.
Kids returning GPUs because they dont fit in laptops, or Grandma calling because she cant find the power button on her new HP dont count.
>>
>>52107052
>actual tech-savvy
Therefore, not 95% of /g/.
>>
>>52100823
Kek. Your nominated for best 4chan post on reddit. Grats
>>
Before the holidays I went to best buy for the first time in years. I just wanted to size up some tablets, the AMAZON fire 7 to be specific (ended up buying 2 for $35 each). Completely dumbfounded the service rep and he pushed me towards the mobile section...

I also wanted to see a shield tablet just to see how well they run. Employees fucking completely lost as to what I was asking about. Bounced to some guy over in the HDTV section who insisted the shield console was the shield tablet.

Only time best buy has ever actually been the best buy was for my second G700S. Even after taxes it was cheaper than both newegg and AMAZON at the time by like $1. Other than that, fuck best buy. I'll stick by microcenter forever.
>>
>>52114148
no, actually, i wouldnt. im really not interested.
>>
>>52114367
wow your story about a salesperson trying desperately to not sell you something really convinced & touched me
>>
>>52114486
Frys and Microcenter employees are bros.
>Frys has a sale on a computer case I'm looking for
>$60 cheaper than anything else, two closest Frys stores are out of stock
>Drive 75 miles to Burbank late at night
>20 minutes before closing, store is empty
>Get case, last one in stock, take to front
>lady at cash register goes in back to do some shit while I order it or something
>Talking to bored employee more or less my age
>"cool case man, building a new pc?"
>nah, i'm just getting a new case since mine is crowded
>"you know that case is mini itx right? most motherboards wont fit in it
>yeah, i have a mini itx board. i made sure my GPU and PSU will fit as well
>"oh nice, good to hear someone actually knows what they're talking about for once..."
>hah. i have the same problem, i work at tech support for <company i work for> and we get know it alls with no clue all the time
>"oh shit! are they hiring?"
>yeah
>give him my boss's #
>he works for us now
>>
>>52115535
Burbank is easily the BEST frys store. Not only in customer service but looks and theme too. Its a shame I work at a more boring looking one in northern California. Though shopping at Burbank is what lead me to apply for a job here when i moved.
>>
>>52115598
Indeed, the Burbank one was definitely worth the drive.
Also, Microcenter is a godsend.
>>
>friend calls me over to fix his new computer, claims the store sold him a broken one
>go over
>all he did was buy a fucking monitor.
>>
>>52115535
Oh shit, Fry's Burbank.
The employees at the store are pretty cool, but holy shit does it take forever to find what you're looking for.
>>
>>52101487

No, all my doctor friends are completely inept whenever it comes to anything computer related.
>>
>>52116154
That's nice of you to be friends with someone who's retarded.
>>
>>52101401

My Apple contract says I'm allowed to have a drink while on Lunch.

You /g/ NEETs can suck it.
>>
Do you do this so you can feel superior?
Are you a NEET by any chance?
>>
>tfw work for best buy
I thought I would actually enjoy selling computers, maybe get to talk tech with people.
Oh how wrong I was.
An average day is something like;
>Clock in, store is either dead or busy as shit, there is no in-between
>If dead make stuff look pretty for the next 8 hours
>if busy hover near apple area, they sell themselves
>eventually have to go to the windows area to sell shit computers
>people only ever want the $350-$400 laptops
"I don't need anything, I just want to pay bills and get on facebook" - What I hear every day
>I can't upsell worth a damn, I am honest about what I think is good for em without it being overkill
>tell em a lenovo g50/ Asus X555LA or something like it would be a good idea.
>They buy toshiba.
>go back to the apple area
>repeat for 8 hours

I think I've only had like 5 people come in who actually knew /anything/ about computers.
And 4 of em were degenerate /r9k/-esque people.
>greasy as shit hair
>cargo pants
>some hot topic belt, usually ponies
>a le meme shirt
>bad posture
>smells horrible
>wants to only talk, not buy
>fml
>>
>>52119206
>being an annoying shit in stores
marketers are the most annoying people in the fucking world.
>they caused the death of plasma t.vs
>>
>>52104563

PC World sells consumer tech to normies.

They have some components on their website, but that's it.

Either buy from online retailers like Amazon, Ebuyer, Scan etc. or go to Maplin if you like visiting stores.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.