[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ipfsg/ - IPFS general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: ipfs.png (70 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
ipfs.png
70 KB, 1024x1024
IPFS general - threads keep dying edition.
We got shitloads of roms across many platforms now, neat!

What is IPFS?
A fully decentralized, distributed and encrypted file distribution platform.

>why would one use it
* Distributed and decentralized: no single point of failure, censorship-resistant.
* You can have a mutable address (i.e. always points to the latest version of a site), or a static address (points to a specific file). Yes, you can host sites over IPFS.
* Peers are found fast for new downloads. You don't need to wait that much to start a download.
* You can watch your animu while it downloads, I watched few episodes that way and it didn't even buffer.

Presentation of ipfs by its lead designer:
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmSd1buim52M
tQP1SH2XhN7FC8c1K
dFrFKBNmgdUKFdss8/Stanford%20Seminar%20-%20Juan%20Benet%20of%20Protocol%20Labs.webm
(over ipfs)

>how to upload a single file
$ ipfs add ./$file
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$outputted-hash
>how to upload a dir
$ ipfs add -r ./$dir
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$last-outputted-hash
>how to make the thing mutable
$ ipfs name publish ./$file-or-dir-hash
Access it at localhost:8080/ipns/$output-hash-aka-peerid (it's ipNs not ipFs)
To update, publish another hash and it will be available at the same IPNS address.

>gateways (how to access IPFS if you don't have it installed)
https://gateway.ipfs.io/
https://gateway.glop.me/
https://ipfs.borg.moe/
Add an ipfs url at the end to use them.

>I2P and Tor support coming soon™. We need that thing anonymous so pls halp.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/1118
https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/37
https://github.com/jbenet/go-multiaddr-net/issues/7

>Sites with content on them
/ipns/gindex.dynu.com/ site index
/ipns/QmUqBf56JeGUvuf2SiJNJahAqaVhFSHS6r9gYk5FbS4TAn anime tracker

threadly reminder to pin files that you care about.
>>
Wake up, /g/! ipfs is the future! Stop using your deprecated torrents and archaic HTTP! Will you really let the future down? Are you not tired of the cancer that spreads through technology? IPFS's time is NOW!
>>
Guess its all over then, the future is ruined. HTTP forever, decentralized, distributed networks never, high speeds and independence from the botnet will never come to you unless you post in this thread.
>>
Is there a guide for retards like me? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>51623407
ipfs comes with a set of starting instructions. There's also a quickstart guide at https://ipfs.io/docs/getting-started/
which should be fairly easy to follow.
>>
Operator of ipfs.borg.moe here. I don't have an SSL cert yet so use http for now. Once Let's Encrypt starts offering certs I'll get one of those.
>>
>>51621972
Fake and gay, senpai.

Gopher is the future.
>>
>>51623947
Does any browser plan to implement native gopher support anytime soon? Didn't think so.
IPFS: 1
Gopher: 0
>>
>>51623973
If you watched the webm linked in the OP you'd know there IS a browser vendor working on ipfs support, but that they wish to remain anonymous until it's ready.
>>
>>51624272
I'll give you 1/10 for effort, and -1/10 for reading comprehension. It's a 0/10 post overall.
>>
>>gateways (how to access IPFS if you don't have it installed)
They're all dead, is it just me?
>>
>>51624287
You have to add an ipfs link to get a result. E.g. gateway.ipfs.io/ipns/gindex.dynu.com
>>
This should probably be added to the OP.

>how to make a site for ipfs that looks pretty
You want a static site generator. People so far have used Jekyll (Ruby) Pelican ( Python), and Hakyll (Haskell).
>>
>>51624533
It's more site design than ipfs but I guess it could be added
Main issue is that we're losing interest so much that I don't know if we'll even get a next thread.
>>
>>51624736
this makes me sad. ill hang around though
>>
>>51624736
It's relevant because most web design guides teach dynamic sites with SQL databases, which don't work on ipfs now. All the blogs truly hosted on ipfs rather than just scraping a WordPress site are static generated or written by hand.
>>
File: Tenchi_Muyo_Logo_2.jpg (597 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tenchi_Muyo_Logo_2.jpg
597 KB, 1280x720
Tenchi Muyo (complete collection, 480p, Ogg, ~24GB): /ipfs/QmYRsSadz9L7VBtfgdJYdxyRzcAuaxrHUih5zZY3UzQFo2
>>
>>51625043
Is the anime tracker guy here?
>>
>>51625144
I already sent him an email about adding it to the tracker.
>>
Protip about running the daemon at home: make sure your firewall allows inbound connections on port 4001. This is mainly a concern for people using systems where firewall != NAT like pfSense, and for people running IPv6 subnets.
>>
>>51624736
I don't think it's a case of people losing interest. We've had consistently high quality threads for a week now, almost all of them reaching bump limit. There's only so much that can be said in generals before the content grows thin and stale. We shouldn't try to force it. I'm not worried at all.

Just start using IPFS for your own projects, upload files to IPFS rather than using Pomf clones or Botnetbox, move away from HTTP as much as you can. Do interesting stuff and the users will follow.

Besides, it's supposed to be used transparently and interchangeably with HTTP in the transition period, so it barely even matters if people notice you use IPFS or not.
>>
>>51626142
I think we should add an IPFS page to the /g/ wiki, along with contact info for the gindex admin for adding new pages as they appear.
>>
Make a detailed set of instructions and people will use it.
Frankly the thing we're missing most is a front-end aggregator
>>
>>51626247
So write it.
>>
>>51619499
cool
>>
>>51626280
nigga I ain't using this shit, you are
>>
Don't you 404 on me.
>>
>>51626355
There are already instructions everywhere. On the site, in the files that come with ipfs, in the OP. What else do you fucking want? A personal trainer to come to your house when ipfs finishes downloading?
>>
>>51619499
How is encrypted transport handled? Openssl? I understand the Merkle graph/"blockchain" for redundancy and the git-like-system for versioning, but not sure how the transport is secured.

Are there tunable parameters for how much you want to contribute to the rest of the graph in terms of bandwidth and storage space?

Is this a /g/-original project?
>>
>>51629480
You can look at the code at https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/
It uses x509 and rsa to secure transport. The merklegraph isn't a blockchain at all. No data lives in the network proper, only a DHT.
>is this a /g/ original project
Top kek, I'm not answering that one.
>>
>>51629480
>Is this a /g/-original project?
Fuck no.
>>
>>51629480
>Are there tunable parameters for how much you want to contribute to the rest of the graph in terms of bandwidth and storage space?
the default cache limit is 10G, which is configurable, pinned items are excluded from this count
i don't thing there are configurable speed limits yet, but you could use something external for that, for now
>>
>>51629480
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/blob/94bdce63a7d51e7ffee09fdbb6a5fa4d47ae1c6f/p2p/crypto/secio/protocol.go#L112
>>
>>51629682
Once the protocol is 100% finished I think it'd be cool to take a crack at an ipfs implementation on the JVM (probably Clojure or Scala) with configurable disk, memory, and bandwidth limits. I've got a server I could dedicate a good 32GB of RAM and 100GB of disk to ipfs, with a decent uplink to boot.
>>
>>51625043
>480p
isn't there a higher res version or is the anime too old?
>>
>>51630253
The release is probably old, but it's old enough to probably have a decent BD release (i.e. it's hand-drawn).
>>
>>51630253
Uploader here. It's a 90s anime. There's never been a BD release to my knowledge.
>>
File: sorry for being huge.png (81 KB, 216x336) Image search: [Google]
sorry for being huge.png
81 KB, 216x336
Have some Christmas music.

/ipfs/QmZ3xLLfKK1zCXE
spam filter a shit
N4yQSm7vNuN2aie7PmY2cLABUtjxJDj
>>
>>51626355
You said "we're" faggot
>>
>>51619499
You'll get a much better response at duebblechan

/tech/ is where oldfag /g/entlemen reside. That and Lain
chan and master
chan
>>
>>51632571
Fuck off newfag.
>>
>>51632679
wut
>>
>>51632571
Shill your broken website elsewhere cripplecunts
>>
I don't understand how this is decentralised in practice. If I download something from IPFS, how does that help the network? It seems like a normal download from HTTP or FTP.
>>
>>51633084
Basically every ipfs node caches bits of other ipfs content. The more people who download something, the more places it's stored. You can "pin" content to keep it permanently available from your node, which is like seeding a torrent.
>>
>>51633084
When you download something, it stays alive in your cache, seeding it for the rest of the network. Moreover, anyone can pin any content, serving it forever. Dowload is also many-to-one so it's not at all like http or ftp (it's like torrents in that regard).
>>
>>51633135
>Basically every ipfs node caches bits of other ipfs content.

Is this comparable to Japanese P2P like Perfect Dark, or does it just cache data that you have downloaded yourself?
>>
>>51633253

I think >>51633249 answers my question.
>>
>>51621972
What is the point of IPFS. What problem does it solve? It reveals your external IP publicly to peers. It's the same drawback as bittorrent has.

I'm sorry, I just don't see why this exists.
>>
>>51633303
Watch the presentation video linked in the OP. It's really quite illuminating.
>>
>>51633337
I did and my question stands.
>>
>>51633347
You might want to rewatch it, then.
>>
If anyone else is encountering weird deadlocks and multi-hour delays on "ipfs add" commands, the developers are aware of it and working on a fix.
>>
>>51633303
they (Google) want to reduce their data costs by getting everyone else to cachehost and distribute their shit (Youtube Videos)
>>
>>51633536
>google
>wanting to lose central authority over their data.
>>
>>51633822
That's another nice feature of IPFS: there's no way to restrict access to files based on location of the client, and takedowns don't work. The DMCA becomes useless. Short of the Great Firewall of China blocking port 4001, there's nothing a government can do to keep its citizens away from IPFS hosted content. If named content is meddled with, you can point at an earlier, immutable version by address and it'll still be there.
>>
>>51634019
Also, there's no need to use a specific port, you can set it to take connections on anything else if you want.
>>
>>51634019
port 4001 isn't a hard requirement, i have an instance on my vps running on 4601 and i can pull things from it just the same (that is, i test it by generating something unique then downloading it elsewhere, since only my vps will have that thing)
>>
So who runs gindex anyway?
>>
>>51635752
I do.
>>
>>51635809
Add this >>51630972

to the music section pls. It's Bing Crosby.
>>
>>51635872
It's added, I just hadn't updated the site yet. Done.
>>
>>51635984
Fix your shit.
$ ipfs resolve /ipns/gindex.dynu.com
Error: could not resolve name (recursion limit exceeded).
$
>>
I don't see an executable in the op.
no executable, no users.
>>
>>51636090
You're fucking retarded.
>go to project homepage https://ipfs.io/
>click the download button
>receive binaries for various architectures of Windows, Linux, and OS X
>>
>>51636054
>nonrecursive lookup
The only one who needs a fix is you.
>>
>>51636119
"recursion limit exceeded" usually means a fuckup on the naming side.
>>
>>51636054
Fix yours.
$ ipfs name resolve -r /ipns/gindex.dynu.com
/ipfs/QmNgzvC1Y5dh5pQvPfZ pZUkoHuB6Z7xwobo5Rv19nZcwA8

But seriously, there are currently some inconsistencies between how the cli tools and the gateway resolve IPNS names, which is what causes this problem.
>>
>>51636110
>not a single word of said download in the op
>calls others retarded
heh.
enjoy your stillbirth.
>>
>>51619499
Goddammit OP I told you ipfs.borg.moe doesn't have SSL yet. Use http.
>>
>>51636159
Works for everyone else though.
>>
Is it just me or is running the ipfs daemon very taxing on your router's cpu? Normally the cpu load is around 1-10% for me, but with ipfs on it jumps to +50%
>>
>>51636475
Are you running the ipfs daemon on your router? Responding to many requests can be taxing. You're sharing a DHT after all.
>>
>>51636527

No, it's running on my PC. It's an old router though, from 2005 or so. I don't know if it's comparable, but I have 7000+ torrents on my torrent client and it doesn't seem to cause heavy load on the router cpu.
>>
>>51636614
Yeah, it shouldn't cause much problem with your router. There are other similar reports though so it looks like it could be a bug.
>>
>>51629553
>Top kek, I'm not answering that one.
>>51629629
>Fuck no.
Anon can dream :(
>>
>>51637893
>Anon can dream :(
that's as far as /g/ projects get

well, that and the logo

/g/ - dreams and logos
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.