[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell can't you do this yet? My phone is now more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 16
File: Untitled.png (22 KB, 722x494) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
22 KB, 722x494
Why the hell can't you do this yet?

My phone is now more powerful than my thinkpad which I do most of my work on.
>>
You can and your phone is not. ARM is shit.
>>
Should be possible, even my GS3 has HDMI-out. Use bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse and away you go.
>>
>>51492015
You literally can do this with almost any smartphone
>>
>>51492038
>>51492041
But why isn't it done more often. Why do people use desktops / laptops / tablets / phones when it could just be one device
>>
>>51492062
because you wouldn't be able to dual-shitpost using two devices?

>that face when I'm actually doing that right now
>>
>>51492015
This is exactly what the ubuntu phone is supposed to do when convergence is complete. I know MS is doing something similar; too bad apple cant let go of the "no OS X on tablets/phones" bullshit.

I agree, it's likely the future, although you are probably wrong about the power of your phone compared to your PC. Having said that, computers are generally OP for most uses, and with Web based applications and remote desktop/ssh/etc I'm not sure there's much of a need for a more powerful PC than the one in your pocket. It'll basically end up a thin client. I'm all for it.
>>
>>51492062
Because some of us have to do actual work on a computer, not just browse 4chan
>>
>>51492417
There will always be use-cases for a physical machine: gaymen, 3D rendering, compiling code, etc... but I'd say 90%+ of computing could be done on a 'thin client' who's connected to a network where the real machines do the work. this also applies to the above use cases, if done properly. I used to use a powerful machine, but now I do everything over ssh or rdp/vnc etc and use what is basically a thin client.
>>
>>51492417
My ThinkPad has a dual core 2 .6 ghz processor and 4gb of RAM and i routinely use it for coding. If my phone has a 2.5 GHz quad core cpu and similar amounts of RAM there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to use it to do actual work as well
>>
>>51492591
Your ThinkPad also uses like 10 times more energy.
>>
>>51492015
You can, and your phone is still shite.
>>
>>51492591
>muh hertz
I bet you think that 4 Pentium 2s @3.0Hz would perform the same as a Quad Core [email protected]

>>>/v/
>>
>>51492591
Phone manufacturers don't want you to use your phone for productivity. They want you to be a good consumer and rent movies from their app store
>>
>>51492591
>thinking clock speed=performance
>what are processor architectures?
top kek
>>
>>51492015
its too soon for this, but this is the future anon, maybe in 3 years could be the standart
>>
>>51492913
>>51492954
I realize there are things like cpu architectures, cache designs, bus limitations, power efficiency, etc, but phones are rapidly catching up and they're pretty close. They can easily play games that look better than counter strike source ffs
>>
>>51493172
>but phones are rapidly catching up and they're pretty close
Pretty close to 15 year old desktop chips.
Yes.
Christ a fucking Athlon XP will annihilate any phone processor.
>>
The battery is a huge limitation
>>
>>51493240
You sure about that?
http://wccftech.com/apple-a9xipad-pro-benchmarks/
>>
>>51492015
You can do this on android
>>
>>51493391
>wccf

My god. You truly are the embodiment of /v/

I bet you think that DiabloTek PSUs are good to use because they're cheap. right?
>>
>>51493430
>evidence which refutes his bullshit
>scoffs about the site it's hosted on

Newsflash: ARM CPUs are just as powerful as x86 ones now.
Stay in denial you utter faggot.
>>
>>51493492
Here's the original source, you gonna discredit that too?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/11/ipad-pro-review-mac-like-speed-with-all-the-virtues-and-limitations-of-ios/4/#h2
>>
you can, loads of people do
your phone isn't more powerful than your thinkpad

Why don't more people do it?
because the phone already has a keyboard, pointer, and monitor built into the device.
>>
If you really think your arm chips is as fast as a laptop than go ahead and use your phone like in the OP pic and get back to us when you try to do everything your thinkpad can on it.

As somebody who uses an ipad for its cpu power, i can assure you it pales in comparison to a modern desktop and laptop cpu.

I run midi instrument through an ipad and the device simply cannot handle velocity layered samples, its just too much. Where as a laptop, even a shitty old x86 laptop, would just chew and shit that out without a hiccup
>>
>>51492383
>"no OS X on tablets/phones" bullshit
No fuck that. I want OSX to stay as a desktop OS and iOS to stay as a mobile OS. They're completely different things with different use cases. As far as I'm concerned, shit like the Surface is the worst of both worlds- too bulky to use as a media consumption device, too small+shitty keyboard to use as a work device.
>>
>>51492062
>But why isn't it done more often.
Try it and find out.

It turns out that a phone touch UI is not that awesome for a large screen with a keyboard.

But yeah, I did this for a while while my desktop was broken. You just screenshare to a chromecast and use a bluetooth keyboard, literally keeping the phone in your pocket the whole time. Smooth as fuck, even though the Chrome address bar is 10cm big.

(yes fgts, I did increase the virtual resolution. it made the phone suck when I disconnected it)
>>
>>51492015
you can do this literally with any cheap chinese tablet for kids. And you should too because the screen is usually shitty
>>
Motorola did this in 2011 and it was awesome, even had laptops with it.
>>
>>51492591
A CPUs speed is anything but defined by the number of cores and the clock frequency, that's just a drop in the water.
In the same way, RAM efficiency isn't solely attributed to the amount of it.
You need to get some tech literacy in your head first before you start acting like you know shit.
>>
>mfw my droid 1 had hdmi out
>my current phone does not
come ON
>>
File: continuum.jpg (91 KB, 620x565) Image search: [Google]
continuum.jpg
91 KB, 620x565
Why isn't Windows Phone mentioned yet?
>>
>>51493892
Windows who?
>>
>>51492591
I always listen to 108Mhz FM radio because it's 20% faster than the 91Mhz channels.
>>
>>51493892
>BOTNET
>O
>T
>N
>E
>T
>>
>>51493892
Seriously, for a technology board these fuckers are seriously retarded.
>>
>>51493892
Microsoft display dock

brit gud

bet soon you will see android and iOS versions
>>
>phone has no keyboard or mouse
>small screen
>impossible to do work without bring lots of accessories

why even bother? just bring a laptop
>>
>>51494065
I believe the scenario for using a something like this is a bit different than what you're thinking. The idea is that you have a desk with a monitor, dock, keyboard and mouse at home, a desk with the same stuff at work, etc.
So the point is you don't have to carry any accessories with you, just your phone.
I think it should replace several (or one, if you don't need more) low-powered desktop PCs, but not a laptop.
>>
>>51494187
>I believe the scenario for using a something like this is a bit different than what you're thinking. The idea is that you have a desk with a monitor, dock, keyboard and mouse at home, a desk with the same stuff at work, etc.
>So the point is you don't have to carry any accessories with you, just your phone.
>I think it should replace several (or one, if you don't need more) low-powered desktop PCs, but not a laptop.
sounds like my x230
>>
>>51494187
Why not carry a hard drive around and boot linux from it.
Refurbished work stations should be even cheaper than "docks"
>>
Great processor in a phone.
Use it for you computing anon.

/thread
>>
File: 1440040781690.gif (174 KB, 299x240) Image search: [Google]
1440040781690.gif
174 KB, 299x240
>>51492015
>Hook phone up to monitor via USB 2.0
>>
>>51493391
Free shrugs.

>muh sha points
>>
A related point:

Anyone with a rooted phone run something like linux on it?
>>
>>51493391
>>51493492
iPads aren't phones dumbass
>>
>>51494503
Hardware wise they're just big phones.
>>
>>51494473
I had a rooted linux phone for a while, but I unrooted it so I could have work stuff on it.
>>
>>51494473
android runs on linux
honestly though i think the closest you can get is a chroot environment inside android
>>
>>51494523
No they aren't. The A9 and A9X aren't the same.
>>
>>51493492
i have yet to see one that outperforms my i7-4790K.
>>
>>51494255
>>51494377
I was just explaining what I thought would be the best way to use technology like that.
I agree that it would be hard to justify moving to this kind of platform. Right now, carrying a laptop still makes the most sense to me for light workloads.
>>
>>51494002
Install gentoo.
>>
>>51494558
Well, the A9X does have a better GPU than the A9 and is clocked higher, but the CPU architecture is the same.
>>
>>51494568
now if phones came with physical keyboards still, i could definitely see it as a part of a sysadmins or field workers ensemble, just not the main workstation
>>
>>51494582
Next you'll be trying to tell me an i3 and i7 are the same
>>
>>51494633
In large part, yes. But the difference between the A9 and A9X isn't as great as the difference between an i3 and an i7.

Graphics aside the greatest difference is in the clock speed, and that's reflected in the benchmark results.
>>
>>51494406
Nothing wrong with that, m8
>>
>>51494669
Just pointing out that the same architecture doesn't mean they're the same.
>>
>>51493976
kek
>>
>>51492015
This is so possible that I'm not sure why you're asking. I know some startup called Andromium tried to do this already, idk if they got anywhere. Anyway, you can either screencast, or just use a microusb to hdmi converter and plug it in. Bluetooth the keyboard and mouse, and boom. Shitpost central.
>>
>>51494685
there is literally no difference between a pentium duo and a 14 core xeon
>>
>>51494736
I agree as long as they're both 2.6GHz
>>
File: trial.webm (948 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
trial.webm
948 KB, 640x360
Android supports HID devices so there's nothing stopping you.
>>
>>51492015
Because you did not support Motorola Atrix
>>
>>51493692
I don't know what you're talking about but the surface is a great fucking device, my friend traded his 2010 Mac book to a dip shit for his surface pro 3 and has been using it in class and looks fucking beastly. He has the either 128 or 256gb model as well...

It's a great power user device and he's been able to a respectable amount of vms on it. Also the new gen keyboards on them are so nice
>>
>>51494776
also programs that are written with more functions than main() are bloat
>>
A more important question:
Why is there not more people who work on software for phones?
F-droid is a start, but there are not many great projects on it even though it has been many years since android was launched.
Most apps on the play store is either advertising or a wrapper for a website.
Phones are getting more powerful with every iteration, but with nothing useful to use that power, it is irrelevant.
Even basic tasks like mail clients are a mess and use more power than needed.
Is there nobody working on this?
I can accept that the operating system is mediocre at best but why aren't more people working on making software for this?
>>
>>51492015
get MHL from china for 3usd, jobs done.

also, 1GHz RISC =/= 1Ghz CISC
>>
>>51493391
>Here is proof
>Gimped CPUs running on passive cooling so they would have to throttle to hell and back again.
>>
>>51494954
not serious enough to put a lot of work into it
most of the stuff there is there because you can make a profit off of normies using it
developing things there is also more complex since mostly everything needs to be on-screen and it's just generally not a very good platform for useful software
>>
>>51494778
>Mouse only emulates touch
Disgusting, you can't even right click or drag select text
>>
>>51493391
Just dropping in to tell you that you are a fucking moron.

First, iPad /= phone. It has about 10 times the space for adequate cooling and batteries

Second, the reason your phone is good at games is because there is focus on the gpu at the expense of the cpu. Your phone may play 3d games great but then you start browsing the web with loads of javascript and it grinds to a halt

Third, you're a moron who's never actually tried to use a phone or tablet as a desktop replacement
>>
>>51495034
Is that surprising? It has to be compatible.

Right click is back, middle click is Home, presumably a fourth mouse button would be app switcher.

Still you get mouse wheel scroll and hover/tooltips.
>>
>>51492015
>display cable
>using physical plugs in 2014+1
>not using WiDi or some other type of screen casting

We've had this for years, you just are too stupid to have realized it.
>>
>>51495164
>wanting all the disadvantages of wireless with none of the benefits
>>
>>51495233
>none of the benefits

>not plugging in a cable
>not having to take phone out of my pocket

because those aren't benefits, right?
>>
Lumia 950/XL will do this with a little adapter buddy. Generally the issue was the low throughout of MicroUSB. With the advent of USB-C there's power and bandwidth enough for 1440p gaming.

Soon enough it will be standard.
You come home, take your phone out of your pocket, place it on the central dock and your house will come to life. Heat will turn on, all appliances will be able to be set to stand by on entry for easy use, you'll just sit down at your computer screen with your keyboard and mouse and you'll be using your phone as a full PC. Headset or HUD or smaller screens could make for text/call functionality although it's likely something that will stay on your body. Glass type item maybe. Watch thing? I dunno.
The house will be your phone, and it will do all the things.
And it'll work, there's a world where this could work just fine, you nay saying fucks about to comment.
>>
>>51492038
he failed to mention he fell for the vintage thinkpad meme
>>
File: literallyreddit.jpg (29 KB, 404x336) Image search: [Google]
literallyreddit.jpg
29 KB, 404x336
>>51495388
>place it in the central dock
>>
Uh, I do this all the time. I run emdebian under the Android kernel with an OTG smart dock to charge while using a USB hub for external hdd storage. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, hdmi out to monitor from smart dock, I terminate surfaceflinger and run xorg, and thus have a 64 bit octacore ARM desktop with 3 GB RAM running any Linux software I want natively, and when I leave home I just unplug the phone, reboot to restart surfaceflinger so I can use the touch screen, and that's it.

Been doing this since the Galaxy S1
>>
>>51495278
>massive battery loss
>have to plug it in anyway or it dies in 30 minutes
>>
>>51492761
>hz
>>>/fa/
>>
>>51495459
>massive battery loss
>screen isn't on

>have to plug it in anyway
>not placing it on the Qi charging pad I installed in the side table next to my front door
>>
>>51495504
>constant wifi traffic + processing
>muh screeeeen

>taking the phone out of your pocket

still easier and better to just plug it in at your desk
>>
File: jeans15f-1-web.jpg?enlarged.jpg (56 KB, 970x789) Image search: [Google]
jeans15f-1-web.jpg?enlarged.jpg
56 KB, 970x789
>>51495592
>>
>>51492761
they would both be extrely slow at 3 hz
>>
>your cell phone isn't your main gadget for everything
>you can't just plug your phone in to an Atrix-like dock for on-the-go computing
>you can't just plug your phone into your desktop as a hard drive

OH WAIT you can do everything except that middle one

I don't know why so many companies just dropped the Atrix style of laptop. I think there's a lot of potential in that sort of design, and I expected it to happen with the Lumia 950.

But it didn't. So I bought a 5x.
>>
>>51495620
Well that explains all the bent phones.
>>
>>51492591
Thanks for the laugh, i though retards like you were extinct.
>>
>>51495641
kek
>>
>>51493540
This article in not praising how good the iPad is but rather pointing out how bad the performance of other apple products are. Basically the most you can expect from Apple products is tablet like performance.
>>
>>51492015
probably will happen in a year or 2, since phones have performance similar to laptops
>>
>>51495825
>since phones have performance similar to laptops
>>
File: 1432945221259.jpg (29 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
1432945221259.jpg
29 KB, 400x305
>>51493391
Kek
Is this guy for real?
>>
I do all my schoolwork and programming on a Intel z3735f which should be at least comparable to the CPU in the zenphone?
>>
>>51495847
new iphone cpu is as good as i5-5200U
>>
>>51495869
Cool, what desktop applications does it run?
>>
>>51495869
Absolute, 100% bullshit
>>
>>51495965
I didnt want to believe it either, maybe the benchmark results were shopped. It was posted on /g/ a while back.
>>51495919
none cause shit os
>>
>>51493892
This

OP and /g/ in general is absolutely retarded

sage
>>
>>51495985
Well maybe you should trust your instinct next time rather than regurgitating complete bullshit like everyone does nowadays
>>
>>51492015
Use google.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165585/experience-the-future-of-computers-today-turn-your-galaxy-s4-into-a-pc-with-a-smart-dock/
>>
>>51495919
Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Evernote, AutoCAD 360, Photoshop Express and several others.

Not sure if you additionally need me to explain what a CPU architecture is.
>>
>>51496015
>>51495965
actually it's true. at least with geekbench
>>
>>51496028
Desktop applications, not web applications.
>>
>>51496039
bullshit, again.

You can say it a thousand times, it doesn't make it true
>>
>>51496076
it's not bullshit. iphone 6s' benchmark is online. just google it kek. my laptop with i5-5200u gets similar results
>>
>>51496075
>browser
>web application
What the fuck? Go back to your playstation you retard
>>
>>51496107
>run gimped versions of browsers
>feel proud
Even mentioning Chrome, which is just a skin for Safari on iOS, goes to show how fucking retarded you are.
>>
>>51492038
>ARM is shit
durr hurr muh photoshop

>>51495388
>Soon enough it will be standard. You come home, take your phone out of your pocket, place it on the central dock and your house will come to life
Or we will just do the same without that central dock, because we have that thing called WiFi and Internet right now that lets devices talk to each other without physical connection.
>>
>>51495388
>Soon enough it will be standard.

Haha, no. Before that happens, your desktop and phone will both just be remote terminals connecting to a central quantum computer located god knows where that you're paying a monthly fee to timeshare.
>>
>>51496285

I'm scared of this future
>>
>>51496738
But it's inevitable.

Just remember, you have no right to privacy when you're leasing time on a government PC ;)
>>
>>51496225
Arm is actually shit handling heavy shit and stuff

Not talking about games

Also API´s for arm are shit all and every single one of them.
>>
Then where will I ssh into with my phone?
>>
>>51492015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFulMBNvjZA
not exactly what you wanted, but this is getting there
>>
>>51496285
You're going to be dead before that happens desu
>>
>>51492015
Isn't this exactly w hat the new Microsoft phones are doing?
>>
>>51496285
plz no i want my own quantum computer
>>
>>51498686
Not going to happen. Quantum computers are going to be controlled at the same level as nukes.
>>
>>51497056
ARM isn't really designed for high-performance or graphically intensive shit though. It's more for low power embedded applications.
>>
>>51492015
WP10 will do this with continuum
https://youtu.be/idVRSWXSkFA
>>
Windows phone can do this
Motorola phones used to be able to do this, but the devices back in 2011 just weren't powerful enough to be useful.
Ubuntu devices can do this.
>>
File: Motorola-Atrix-4G-phones.jpg (26 KB, 466x314) Image search: [Google]
Motorola-Atrix-4G-phones.jpg
26 KB, 466x314
They tried this a few years ago with the Motorola Atrix, but people are already set up with their laptops/desktops, why buy one that isn't powerful enough to do even light browsing?
>>
>>51494473
Yep.
Look up debian kit, or other things
>>
>>51498817
[citation needed]
>>
File: forty_keks.jpg (3 KB, 103x90) Image search: [Google]
forty_keks.jpg
3 KB, 103x90
>>51493976
>>
>>51492015
>Why the hell can't you do this yet?
I can. Why can't you?
>>
>>51492913

Which this is going to be a big problem in the near future. Our phones are now capable of being used as a personal computer, but it is to technical for the average consumer. Once it is marketed properly though, the laptop will start becoming opsolite as the desktop already has. Aso I'm sure your tablet will have the capabilities to show your phone'a screen as well, for a bigger picture.
>>
>>51493629

But what you shills are not understanding is that specialized crap will still need specialized hardware. Who the fuck else does midi shit? This of the consumer: movies, TV shows, games, and facebook. Last I checked, a phone can do all that.
>>
>>51492015

its like you live under a fucking rock op
>>
>>51499606

Oh and using the cloud for specialized things will be the future as well. Right now the cloud is used for files and you can buy processing power, but it will become that you can use the processing power of the cloud without charge.

It just has to get mainstream and cheaper first.
>>
>>51495620
I hope everyone that buys those winds up washing their phone.
dont even matter if its on or not anymore :)
(its always on, its a feature, it cant just be turned off)
>>
Except you can. The technology you refer to as "MINI HDMI USB 2 / 3 OR SOMETHING" is called MHL, which enables you to output from usb to HDMI. The cable to do this is less than $10. look up your phone on gsmarena (even if it is cdma that is just a site name) and see if it has MHL.

Some new phones implement their own standard and don't show up as "MHL" but have a proprietary/unique HDMI out cable.

>my phone is more powerful than my thinkpad...
At what? does it have the same rendering capability?
>>
File: screenshot_2015_11_24_02_38_32.png (60 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2015_11_24_02_38_32.png
60 KB, 480x800
>>51494473
yup
>>
>>51500300
Curious, what phone? And is that 356MB of free or used ram?
>>
>>51496285
There's that chipper "i hate technology even though I'm on g" attitude.
>>
>>51496225
It will be unlikely we will have the device charge. Wifi also tends to have fairly low throughout. Wired is always preferred.
It's mainly about charging, this dock.
>>
On Android is there a way to run ARM Linux Vms?
>>
>>51495409
Or just the dock. A dock. Whatever.
>>
>>51495455
Please teach me how to do this.
>>
>>51500300
I'm assuming you chrooted into it from Android?
>>
>>51492041
Or even chromecast mirror
>>
>>51501205
Search chroot
Like a VM running on the same kernal.
Debian-kit should get you started.
Unless you're talking about VMS.
>>
>>51492015
I used to do exactly this with my Evo3D. Unfortunately Android (and iOS for that matter) makes for a shit desktop experience.

the new Windows 10 phones are supposed to push this kind of functionality. It may actually be commonplace for a while before we all switch over to VR headsets and augmented reality, and then the ocular implants, and then the neural implants, and then the singularity

i'll see you in the metaverse faggot
>>
Tom's Hardware just put an article out on the Lumia 950 being able to do this... Have you guys not heard of Continuum? Newfags

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-lumia-and-continuum-hands-on,30627.html
>>
>>51492015
>My phone is now more powerful than my thinkpad
get a new thinkpad.
>>
>>51500086
How about just micro HDMI slick?
>>
>>51501461
With that method can I switch back into regular Android mode seamlessly?
>>
>>51502597
Technically it just runs over android, you use a ssh/VNC app to get to it.
You can replace your screenbuffer with x, but that's a little complex.
>>
https://github.com/phoronix-test-suite/phoronix-test-suite/
https://openbenchmarking.org/tests/pts
Will run reasonable tests on my Cortex A9 out of boredom.
>>
Doesn't Windows Phone 10 support this (with a special dock)
>>
>>51494473
Android and Sailfish OS are literally Linux
>>
>>51495409
Couldn't you just use high speed future wi-fi?
>>
>>51500300
h-how to you make phonecalls? tell me what software you're using!
>>
I do this at work.
Main workstation, 27" monitor.
Second 19" monitor connected to S5.
I use a smart kvm for switching the keyboard and mouse.
Sound/calls piped into my workstation via BT.

Yeah, I don't really need it, but its fun.
>>
So, to summarize:

those A9X benchmarks show that ARM CPUs are matching if not beating x86 CPUs designed for the same power envelope

Windows continuum and rooted Android shows that phones and tablets can work as PCs no problem.

Did I miss anything out?
>>
>>51503392
>Did I miss anything out?
That its useless.

Computers are so cheap that you can just have desktops, tablets and laptops anywhere you want, no need to take your phone out of your pocket and fiddle around with docking station.
>>
>>51492015
Because you're supposed to have a better computer than a phone.
>>
>>51503572
But what if your phone contains all the computing power that you'd need for casual browsing and word processing?
>>
>>51492015
You can use your phone as a full-desktop environment Anon. Rooting your phone and installing Xorg, it makes your phone as a desktop. But that desktop would be very slow as a ordeal... because your assumption that you phone is more powerful than your laptop is actually wrong.
>>
>>51504152
>>51504152
there's also the ubuntu phone
>>
Windows phones do this. pretty damn awesome
>>
>>51492015
Because only autistic retards want to have desktop OS on their phones.
>>
>>51504176
you are right, anon. but ubuntu phone is slow too. to use *smart* phone as a desktop is still too early for now. but I think the day will be come someday.
>>
>>51494377
>receive call on the way home from work/school
>"hey it's Mike, could you please re-send the latest version of that really important file we discussed today with team and need it for deadline tomorrow?"

You:
>yeah, sure I'll just boot up my... uh... g-gnu s-slash linix hard drive when I get h-home in two hours t-tops

Me:
>sure Mike, you'll have it in a few seconds

This is why phone WILL eventually become the only piece of hardware issued by companies across the world for routine office work.
>>
>>51504427
oh god I hope you guys don't reply to this idiot
>>
I'm OP. Thank you all for the stimulating discussion and comments. THis has been a very infromative pleasant thread for me and I am happy that we can discuss future technology togehter.

Google if u see this thread plaease take notes and develope this tech asap thank u
>>
File: 1368338037447.png (100 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
1368338037447.png
100 KB, 342x245
>>51504427
>sure, just look on our file server / office365 / company cloud / Jira / whatever collaboration tool we use to store and create important documents like that in the first place.
>>
>>51504531
too late senpai.
>>
>>51492954
It makes me laugh to see all these kids claim that clock speed doesn't matter. It doesn't matter now cos chips are all within 1-2ghz of each other. All that's left is squeezing a few percent out of the architecture. Back in the day when we were trading In 50mhz machines for 500mhz machines you fucking knew that clock speed did matter. More than anything. It's sad that you missed out.
>>
>>51504427
Or you know, ssh into your home server.
>>
>>51504594
kids these days will never know the struggle of putting a new crystal in your cpu card to overclock it to 75mhz
>>
>>51493280
If you had wireless charging it would be a pretty damn good system I think. At least for just simple web browsing. If you had a NAS server will all your files you solve the storage issue too.

While phones definitely aren't on par with laptops some of the higher end models can hold their own.
>>
>>51492591
Yeah, the Qualcomm memedragon octacores are also just as powerful as a 5960X ;^)

I wonder why Intel isn't bankrupt yet
>>
>>51492498
True, most of the programmers in companies like Amazon, Cisco and Intel almost always work on remote machines using vnc or putty. I'm sure it's true for other companies as well. Computer Science research students also, more often than not, use ssh to connect to machines which are powerful enough to be useful.
>>
>>51492053
>>51492038
>>51492041
So why does everything except displayport on VGA and DVI work on my HP USB dock for my Xperia Z1?
>>
>>51492015
Because most of the people who don't need desktop performance are the type to be perfectly happy with a little touch screen phone.
>>
Phone OS suck for desktop workflow. They exist to make money from low-tech plebs. Available apps reflect this, as does vendor locking of the OS and phone. They are designed to be appliances, and by the time you fit an ergonomic keyboard, real mouse, and display large enough for actual work you might as well have bought a notebook or even better, a desktop. Everything less than a desktop sacrifices workflow for portability.
>>
>>51492015

Its called Microsoft Continuum.

Windows Phone Wins Again.
>>
>>51505141
>"... i made this." -- microsoft
>>
Phones already run Linux or othernix variants which are carefully crippled by their manufacturers. Android specs include crippling.
>>
>>51505152

This is literally Apple's entire business model.
>>
File: FourHundredThousandKeks.png (167 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
FourHundredThousandKeks.png
167 KB, 256x384
>>51493976
>>
he falled for the continium meme.
>>
>>51494567
WOW WHAT A MYSTERY
You don't need one of those to play CS:S, retard.
>>
>>51499561
>opsolite

cancer
>>
>>51499739
>washing selvedge

do you even male fashion bro?
>>
>>51502597
You can dual boot android and ubuntu
>>
>>51501150
Galaxy grand, used ram.
>>51501293
Yes.
>>51503082
Through android dialer, i don't think it would work under chroot.
I'm using Linux deploy for starting Arch and XServer XSDL for the desktop.
>>
>>51495869
are you fucking kidding me...
>>
>>51493172
Enjoy your shitty graphics quality.
>>
>>51492591
If there is one thing that annoys me, it's people who "code" but don't know how a computer works. It's often the kind of people with opinions on the lack of black transsexuals in the tech community and who attend hip Python4Feminists bootcamps, where in mere afternoons they "hack" together a trigger word Twitter filter or some shit. Fuck you.
>>
File: Fabien.jpg (20 KB, 360x377) Image search: [Google]
Fabien.jpg
20 KB, 360x377
Because shitty OS on phones.
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.