[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I'm building my very first PC. [spoiler]Which is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: file.png (47 KB, 221x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47 KB, 221x500
Hi /g/

I'm building my very first PC. [spoiler]Which is weird, since I have CompTIA A+ certifications.[/spoiler]

I would like some second thoughts on this build.

>CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

>CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
(I'm aware Intel has a stock one, but from what I'm told, it's loud as hell.)

>Thermal Grease: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

>Mobo: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

>Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
(I plan on buying another 8 gigs once I complete this build.)

>Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

(I plan on buying another one later down the line and having a striped RAID array. Maybe JBOD.)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card

(If I have some extra dosh unexpectedly, I might decide to get the 970.)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Anything I'm missing? Thoughts? Recommendations? Anything is appreciated.

Pic related, it's the case I want to use. It's sexy as fuck.
>>
Don't buy nvidia. Buy a 380 instead. Get a cheaper case because you will not be utilising the r4 to its max potential and FOR FUCKS SAKE WATCH SOME FUCKING REVIEWS INSTEAD OF ASKING US
>>
>>51299581
Thanks for the recommendations.
>>
No SSD, no life.

Don't bother with an internal optical drive. It's almost 2016 ffs.
>>
>>51299617
It's nice to have. The majority of the drivers I have for my peripherals are on disks, and it will just make things a bit easier on me. It's only $17, too, so I might as well.

If I have some extra capital, I might get an SSD in addition to the hard drive, instead of buying two HDDs.
>>
File: build1.jpg (169 KB, 1760x1180) Image search: [Google]
build1.jpg
169 KB, 1760x1180
Don't wanna clutter the board with another thread, anyone have any comments or advice about this build?
>>
>>51300210
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqV7Vn

link just in case
>>
>>51300210
You do not need an i7 for gaming.
>>
>>51300239
Unlocked i5 would be good too? Just wanted to throw together a ridiculous PC because money isn't really an issue with this purchase.
>>
>>51300239
>two 980tis in SLi
He's not going to cheap out and get an i5, don't be retarded.
>>
>>51300257
Oh Jesus's Fuck. If money isn't an issue GO XEON .
>>
>>51300265
Yeah I guess I overlooked that
>>
>>51299522
It's very late to be buying an i5-4690k, you should be looking for Skylake if building now. Not that it's going to be that much more future proof but you'll miss out on things like m.2 slots.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a pain in the as to install, get basically any other tower heatsink and you'll have a better time.

Finally you really do need a SSD. No it won't improve your FPS in games but Windows 10 on a hard drive is no fun unless you like waiting 30 seconds for the start menu and 20 minutes to install mandatory updates. You can get a 128gb one for $40 just for the OS.

RAID with hard drives is mostly pointless now.
>>
>>51299522
>2015
>Actually considering buying Intel when they are backdoored with ARC/ThreadX.

www.libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
>>
>>51300346
Skylake is a meme.
You'll have to buy a new mobo and RAM just for a 2 percent performance increase.
Just keep the 212, you'll just install it once and it's not like you'll have to keep installing it. The 212 Does its job well.
I have a HDD with Win10 and it boots in like 15 seconds.
>>
>>51300493
Plus the extra money spent on Memelake would be way better spent on a 970 or 390 over a 960, as I'm assuming this PC will be used at least partially for gaming.
>>
File: budget mini-itx.png (66 KB, 1175x794) Image search: [Google]
budget mini-itx.png
66 KB, 1175x794
To continue not cluttering the board with stupid-ass build threads.

I'm fairly confident with regular tower builds but I wanted to assemble a slightly budgeted mini-itx build for portability and gaming. What do you guys think?
>>
>>51300606

Definitely open to cheaper suggestions as I'm over-budget currently, but not by too much.
>>
>>51300596
PC will be used for having more than two chrome tabs open, and gaming.
>>
>MSI
>ever
Lmao
>>
>>51300606
should have got a cheaper psu and used the extra cash on an r7 370 which would be better than the gtx
>>
>>51299522
>Core i5-4690k
It's okay, but that entirely depends on what you're planning to do with your computer and how long you plan to continue using your computer without doing a major motherboard-CPU upgrade because a feature you need is not physically supported by your computer.
Haswells are roughly the same as Skylakes in terms of overall performance and there is a barely noticeable difference in games (i.e. within a margin of error).
Broadwell is a good option for a HTPC/light 1080p gaming rig because of its Iris Pro graphics that's 90% as good as a GTX 750.

>Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
There are better options. People don't understand that the fan on that heatsink is pretty loud and whiny at medium-high to high speeds. Either find a slightly more expensive option that's quieter, or spend more for a quieter fan (which renders buying the 212 EVO moot since you'll be spending more for a better fan)

>Gaming motherboard
Normally, I'd sperg out and tell you to avoid, but most of the other LGA1150 boards are out of stock already and some of the boards are on clearance or on sale. Just make sure you have at least one usable PCIE3.0 4x slot leftover in case you need to upgrade to USB 3.1 Rev2.
But I'm pretty sure ASRock sells a USB3.1 5.25" adapter that plugs into a SATA Express connector.

>two dual-channel kits
They won't overclock with the stability of a 4-stick dual channel kit, but that's if you're doing massive overclocks on the memory itself. If not, then what you have is pretty good.

>GTX 960
Get a R9 380 4GB or wait until the 380X comes out. Both are now better than the 960 thanks to a new driver update that gave all R9 cards another 10% increase in DX11 performance.
The 380X is almost touching the 970/390 without going near $300.

>Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window
Invest in some good high pressure case fans. I'd personally go for a BitFenix and a 10mm fan shroud to better direct airflow towards the GPU.
>>
>>51300722
ohh boy then just buy 32gb ram as soon as posible
>>
>>51300210
>840 EVO
Jesus fucking Christ, an 850 EVO 1TB is going for almost $100 less on Neweggs right now.
>i7-6700k
Just get an i5-6600k.
>Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
No, get a regular-sized ATX board. You don't need all those PCI and PCIe ports if you're just going to go for a dual SLI build.
>32GB DDR4-2400 memory
Do yourself a favor and buy a 16GB kit of DDR4-2800 or faster for 60% of the price. You don't need all that memory, but you could use a faster RAM clock for certain applications. Skylake CPUs do scale a bit more with faster RAM clocks, even for most games.
>two overpriced 980Tis
Just get two regular MSI 980 Ti for $620
OR
Buy the MSI Seahawks because they run so much cooler under load and have a higher thermal headroom for overclocking.
>Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Big fan of the case, but that price tho...
>850W Gold+
If you have that large of a budget, then just get a 900W+ PSU with 80+ Platinum or Titanium rating. A PSU's efficiency sweetspot is usually between 60-80% of it's maximum rating.
>>
Since this is turning into r8 my build thread, might as well give what I'm thinking of with the 1000$ I saved up.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWwhf7

I can probably cannibalize the remaining parts from my current build, and possibly find a cheaper HDD from the clearance rack of the office store I work near. The half TB drive I use currently I could work into an external drive. I also have a SSD waiting to put the OS on.

Overall, I'd just really like to finally get some solid over 30fps action on my games, one or two MMOs and some multiplayer stuff. 60 if I can swing it for the price. Overwatch also sounds pretty fun despite what you guys might think of Blizzard.
>>
>>51300836

Haven't actually ordered anything yet, should have clarified.
>>
>>51301028
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWwhf7
Buy an H97, H85, or B85 board. Hell, even an H81 will do you just fine if you're never planning to have more than 4 SSD/HDDs and use that many USB devices. H/Z97s are for power-users and people who have more money than sense.
You don't even have a fully unlocked processor.

Swap the Seagate Barracuda for a Hitachi, Toshiba, or even a WD Blue. I still have nightmares from having to RMA 5 7200rpm Seagates one after the other.
And buy FACTORY refurbished if you want a good deal on HDDs.

If you can find an R9 290 with three fans or 8GB of VRAM, then buy it. If not, then you're doing alright. Just a heads up though, the R9 380X is coming out soon and it's starting cheaper than that 290, but within 95% of its performance.

I don't trust that power supply. See if you can find one based on a Superflower design.
>>
File: yea1.png (51 KB, 712x488) Image search: [Google]
yea1.png
51 KB, 712x488
i too have a build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jmXPCJ

i did a lot of research these past couple days and I think I did well, but I still want some outside input on this. obviously im on a budget here, a $500 one, but I can afford to go a little over. Anyway the point is if anyone knows any better or cheaper alternatives please let me know, this is my first build and I just wanna play video games.

oh yeah also, playing the hot new releases isn't at the top of my priorities cause there arent many games that have come out lately that have caught my interest, but I really want to play the releases I've missed out on in the past 5 years due to being held back by my previous PC.
>>
>>51299522
>he fell for the certification meme
>>
>>51300913
Thank you for the advice, though I'm not too concerned with future-proofing this. I just need a simple rig to game with, not necessarily keep running. My Steam library isn't gonna expand much more, seeing I already have a great collection of games.

Do you have any recommendations for cases and CPU coolers?

>>51301261
I mean, I got it for free. I'm not really complaining.
>>
>>51301166
Forgot to take out the drive since I'm going to browse the clearance bin as I said.
And when do you think the 380x is going to come out? I was planning to start buying when the sales go on after Thanksgiving.

Revised, minus the GPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CHgJK8
>>
>>51301272
Keep running is the wrong word.

I don't plan on upgrading this build. I want to keep the price around $1000, because that's my very max.
>>
>>51299522
r8 b8 h8 pls

already have all my peripherals from my last rig and my 1tb HDD that i need full of school works.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6FL2P6
>>
>>51300913
Also, I'm not overclocking this build if I'm not positive it can take it.
>>
Going to join in and ask for advice too.
Been researching a bit and came up with these 2:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y7ZfwP
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PmTCTW

Dont want insane gaming just high/medium settings or whatever and a little bit of DAW use.
Would going skylake/ddr4 be a better thing to do in terms of the future? Okay the processor on the skylake build isnt as good for now but surely at some point ill feel the need to upgrade to ddr4 anyway?
>>
>>51301195

Solid AF, but the Source 210 Elite is a better budget case. At that price range though, I'd probably get a G3258.
>>
>>51300606
>120 dollar 51W CPU
>40 dollar cooler for said low power CPU
What the fuck is wrong with you? The default cooler is good enough for an i3. Heck, even an i5 or i7 fairs well with the stock cooler if you don't overclock.

Also, this build will run very well on a good 300W (or even 200W) PSU, seeing how the combined power draw of everything in this build on max load still doesn't exceed 150W.

Save money on the PSU and cooler and throw an SSD in there.
>>
>>51300606
Oh, and just get a cheap B150 board. Whatever has the features you need and is cheap.
>>
>>51301272
>Do you have any recommendations for cases and CPU coolers?
Just look for a mid-tower ATX case between $40-80. That's where the heart of the case market is and where you'll find the best bang-for-your-buck options.
As for CPU coolers, anything between $20-40. I'd rather not spend more than $45 on a cooler unless I'm going to overclock the hell out of a CPU.
If you're not going to overclock at all, then stay with a $20-30 cooler. Those are ample enough for stock speeds on all Intel Haswells.
>>51301319
I think a Haswell Refresh benefits more from a slight overclock than stock speed. My i7-4790k needs less voltage with a +300MHz overclock with Turbo-mode turned off and runs about as cool as stock speed. With a motherboard like the MSI Gaming series and its beefy power phase array, you could push a good 4690k to about 4.4GHz with a decent air cooler on multipliers alone. 4.6GHz with BCLK and voltage changes.

>>51301291
The R9 380X is rumored to come out at the end of this week in the US and Asia, next week in other parts of the world.
>>
>>51301458
thanks, I saw the Source 210 on logical increments and thought it looked cool, glad i can use it.
>>
>>51301458
>G3258
Top meme. A lot of games struggle with the 2 threads. i3s run a lot better.
>>
>>51301443
Personally I'd go for the Skylake build, but you could also take the Haswell build, drop the i7 down to an i5 4690K and put the money saved towards a better GPU.
Both stellar builds though.
>>
>>51301498
210 ELITE, though.

>>51301501

That is true, but at that price point I'd rather save my money and deal with a G3258 so I can save more money to get a 4690k later down the line.
>>
should I bother upgrading my CPU if I have a fx 8350?
>>
>>51301550
Yes. Any Intel CPU, starting at i3s will be an upgrade.
>>
>>51301313
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6FL2P6
>DDR4-2133 on a Z170 board with a locked SKU i5
Don't do this. Just buy a H110 or B150 motherboard.
The only reason you would buy a Z170 with a locked SKU is if you want to use RAM with speeds higher than 2400MHz.
>240mm radiator for a low TDP locked SKU
Again, don't do this. Believe it or not, a 120mm fan air cooler is quieter and performs the same with low TDP CPUs. Never get an AIO unless you're a spergtard with a fat wallet or you want to overclock a CPU with voltage changes.
>250GB SSD
I'd just get a hybrid 2TB drive for that money. They're about as fast for loading times in games, boot times, and opening most applications.
>750W PSU
Unless you're going to Crossfire at some point, I'd get a smaller PSU. I'm not even sure if that PSU has enough PCIE power connectors to support 2-way Crossfire.
>>
File: 1446356031290.jpg (22 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1446356031290.jpg
22 KB, 249x249
>>51301562
that sounds wrong.
>>
May as well throw my hat into the ring now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4zmqt6

The 290 is only slightly worse than the 970, you get 10-15 FPS more but at the cost of a $50 higher price tag.

>>51301550

Not really, 8350 is a top-tier AMD CPU, and anything below a 4690k would be a downgrade.
>>
>>51301529
yeah, I'm definitely upgrading this in the near future. I wasn't expecting my previous PC to die so unexpectedly.

the 4690k is 240$ dollars though, when can I expect to see that CPU to go on sale? other than black friday and cyber monday obviously.
>>
>>51301550
Only if you want to upgrade to a Skylake i5 or i7.
An FX-8350 will still beat an i5 at certain multi-thread-dependent programs, but the Skylake absolutely piledrives the FX in single-core performance.

Now, if you want to play games at 4k resolutions or VR, there is almost zero difference between an FX and an i5/i7 because most of the load will be going towards your GPU. If you're planning on that, then stick with your FX and buy some 390s.
>>
>>51301621

It's 216 right now on SuperBiiz.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-4690KBX&c=CJ

Though you'd need a new PSU of course, but I recommend the Z97 PC Mate.
>>
>>51301581
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4zmqt6
>Antec Greenpower
Triggered so hard that my motherboard shorted itself to death
>>
>>51301575
I saw some Fallout 4 benchmarks today. Only the 9590 can kind of keep up with an i3. Just a quick Google search brings me to this.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference
And mostly, this:
http://pclab.pl/art66856-16.html
>>
>>51301638
I'm planning on buying a 980ti, actually.

this may be a bit off topic, but does anyone here have tried shipping desktops on planes? I'm living in america for a year and I want to build a pc here(much cheaper) but I wonder if it's even practical to take it back with me. It's a 6 thousand mile trip back to my home country.
>>
>>51301573
thank you, this is why I posted it here.

first: mobo
I heard that all sky lakes will be able to OC in some capacity regardless of the 'k' status. Otherwise, do you mind linking or recommending a specific model of Motherboard for me to use?

second: cooling
Im a huge sperg desu, I live in new orleans sometimes our powergoes (hurricane or summer heat) out and the housewide generator cant run 3 air conditioning units so I need a strong cooling system.

third: SSD
My brother (the computer guy between the both of us) recommend I get one to load shit on, but if you recommend a 2tb HDD ill check it out.

finally: PSU
I want to crossfire somewhere down the line when the GPU gets slightly weaker to run current gen on ultra. Also; the 750W Plat rated is on sale on new egg for a fucking steal.
>>
>>51301643
is 600W not enough?

how much of a hassle is upgrading a mobo?
>>
>>51301654

Find me a better PSU under 70 dollars then, faggot. 650w is a must, don't care about modularity.

>Implying that I'd spend 100 dollars MINIMUM on a good EVGA PSU or 140 for an AX, when I'm obviously a poorfag who can barely afford a 4690k
>>
>>51301683

Whoops, I meant MOBO, not PSU. 550w will do just fine on a 4690k if you don't want to OC. Upgrading a MOBO basically means you build your PC all over again since everything is connected to it.
>>
I'm always surprised why people who buy R4 take one with window. Ffs, the whole point of R4 is to have less noise, why would you sacrifice its main selling point just so you can watch blinking leds and cooler spinning, like once a month?
>>
>>51301706
well, might as well just get the Z97 now, no? its only a 10 dollar difference between that and the H97M
>>
>>51301741

You don't need a Z97, only if you plan on OCing. But yes, I'd get the MOBO and use it once you can buy a 4690k.
>>
Buy an i5-4770k
Your graphic card is too low, pick a GTX-770 TI
>>
>>51301672
>I heard that all sky lakes will be able to OC in some capacity regardless of the 'k' status
Not true, it's that Skylake allows for more concise BCLK adjustment.
It's really up to the motherboard manufacturer for OC features and support. I think I remember hearing that MSI B150 motherboards would allow for some slight RAM overclocking, but I've yet to see one of their boards support anything higher than 2400MHz.
>Otherwise, do you mind linking or recommending a specific model of Motherboard for me to use?
I'd love to, but I'm short on time. Here's what you should do
>write up all the features you actually need from a motherboard (such as the # of USB 3.0/SATA3 ports/PCIE 16x slots and be realistic)
>go to pcpartpicker and plug in those numbers to the motherboard configurator
>list by price, lowest to highest and weed out things that have features you don't need or ever plan to use
>go onto the seller's page or google reviews for the remaining motherboards
With enough luck, you should be able to weed them down to about 3 or 4. Out of those, pick by color (if you're going with a windowed case), ease of installing peripherals/plugs, physical practicalities, etc.
>so I need a strong cooling system
No you don't. All you need is good airflow into your case and an okay cooler with at least four heatsinks. Water-cooling will yield you little benefits in exchange for a louder unit, less compatibility with more cases, installation headaches, longevity issues (most units aren't expected to last for more than 2 years), and pump+fan noise.
This is coming from a user with three AIOs in my case, a 280mm CPU cooler and two 120mm EVGA Hybrids for my 980Tis.
>2tb HDD
No, I meant an SSHD, like Seagate's SSHD. They're alright, for the most part because of their lower rpm.
>Also; the 750W Plat rated is on sale on new egg for a fucking steal
Just make sure it has four 8-pin PCIE power connectors and more than 10A going through its 12+V rails.
>>
>>51301581

Why not get a Xeon since you don't need the integrated GPU?

>>51301195

If you want more power you could try looking for a used Xeon/i7, a used 1st gen i7 is still more powerful than a current gen i3 and costs under $50. A used 2nd gen i7 costs about $100 and is twice as powerful as an i3. Until I replaced it recently, my i7 930 was still performing very well in modern games that I played.

>The actual lifespan of the silicon transistors of a consumer CPU is typically in the range of 20-30 years before there is a failure
>>
>>51301848
ehm, well what should I look out for when buying used CPU's? sounds risky.

>>51301761
well, is the H97 not compatible with the 4690k or?
>>
>>51301838
should I look to get higher MHz ram if the Mobo will support it, I took your advice and have found a new one.
>>
>>51301848
I'd go no earlier than Ivy Bridge for its performance. And didn't Sandy Bridge have a chipset issue?

>>51301899
>well, is the H97 not compatible with the 4690k
It is compatible, but you're not able to overclock the CPU to the extent that you could with a Z97 chipset. If that's the case, then why not just buy a locked 4690 instead for a bit less?

>>51301902
With Skylake, faster RAM speeds do show some benefits, but try not to spend more than $120 on RAM. There are other places where you can spend your money for better performance, like your GPU.
And keep CAS latency in mind. High CAS latencies on DDR4 makes it about the same in overall performance as high-clocked DDR3 until you hit DDR4-3000MHz. Find a RAM kit with low CAS and at least 2800MHz, which is the sweet spot for performance DDR4 RAM at the moment.
>>
>>51301970
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231931

so this will suffice in terms of performance on a MSI h170 M3?
>>
>>51301970
i dont think ill ever be overclocking, the benefits sound nice but I am a simple clumsy man who will probably fuck it up one way or another.
>>
File: file.png (87 KB, 705x616) Image search: [Google]
file.png
87 KB, 705x616
Here's mine

It's really just a few edits to a front-page build.

I'm worried that the CPU cooler won't get enough air, since there's going to be 40mm clearance between it and the case. Are there smaller CPUs that will do me just fine, or will I be fine with the Evo 212?

I'm not planning on overclocking this, nor am I planning to upgrade it. I just need to stop using this fucking HP Pavilion shitbox.

I don't really need an SSD just yet. I do plan on getting one, though
>>
>>51302045
Then buy a regular 4690 and an H81 or B85 motherboard for the best value.
>>51302023
No, because that board does not support anything higher than 2133MHz according to the manufacturer's website. And I can't find any mention of RAM overclock support.
>>
Ok, figured I'd ask here instead of making my own thread. I used to build my own systems way back when, but to be honest, I haven't done it in years and I'm pretty clueless about what's good nowadays.

Someone gifted me a GeForce GTX 970 recently, which is what spurred me to want to put together a gaming rig again (I'd also be using it for pretty intensive Photoshop painting, as that's my job). Basically, I need a new mobo, ram, CPU, and cooler, I've got everything else handled. My budget is around $500-600 for those four components, but I can go a little higher, my main concern is getting the best performance I can for gaming and PS. Any recommendations?
>>
>>51302325
Grab a Skylake Intel Core i3, the Haswells are literally the same price, but is noticeably slower and are running out of stock. Same story with the LGA1150 motherboards, so your options are limited there if you get a Haswell.

An i3-6100 is a good value CPU and is still faster than an FX-8320E at most applications (including Photoshop, but speed really doesn't matter there) while delivering a much higher performance ceiling for gaming. A Pentium might be cheaper, but you'll regret it down the road.

I'd pair it up with a good H110 or B150 motherboard (micro-ATX for better value), as they both have a full complement of SATA3 ports and a PCIE3.0 16x for a graphics card. Don't worry about USB 3.1 or M.2 support, they're just not worth the trouble right now and you can always put an add-in board later to support them.

H110 and B150 boards can only support DDR3L-1600 or DDR4-2133 RAM (it's either or, no mixing and matching so make sure to check the motherboard's specifications), so buy the cheapest pair in the largest capacity. I think 2 sticks of 8GB is good enough for Photoshop.

Do not buy an aftermarket heatsink, since an i3 definitely does not need one.
>>
>>51302890
And in the off-chance that you're $120 under budget, swap the i3 for an i5-6500 or 6600.
>>
>>51299654
>Installing outdated drivers from disks
no, just download them
>>
>>51302890
Thanks for the reccs.

I did a little poking around based on these parts, do you think it would be worthwhile to jump to the i5 6600K if I can afford to? I can't exactly break the bank on the i7, but I'm hoping to make this system last as long as I can before I need to upgrade parts again.
>>
>>51302918
>>51302977
Ah, looks like you answered my question while I was typing that post and reading reviews. Thanks.
>>
>>51302992
If you switch to a i5-6600k, then you'll probably want to get a Z170 motherboard, which will run you about $40 over the cost of a B150 motherboard. You could upgrade the memory as well to a DDR4-2400 or 2800, but that will also run you about $20 to $40 more for a 16GB kit.
You'll probably also need to invest in a better cooler that's around the $20-40 price range.

For the sake of value, I'd stick with the locked i5-6500 or 6600 so that extra money can be spent on more important things, like hookers and blow.
>>
>>51303021
>$40
And that's a low-end Z170 MATX board over a high-end B150 MATX board.
Higher-end Z170 can run up to $200 more over a B150.
>>
>>51303021
Hmm, okay, so if I stick with an i5 6500 or 6600 should I be okay to go with the mobo, ram, and default heatsink recommended in >>51302890?
>>
>>51303127
Yep. More money for you to spend on that shiny new hooker down the block.
Or a second refurbished 970 for about $200
>>
any differences between the Gigabyte R9 380 4GB and the MSI R9 380 4GB?

im assuming its just the color at this point right?
>>
>>51303393
Cooler and maybe a custom PCB with different voltage regulators, power phases, etc.
The differences tend to be negligible, so just go for whichever fits your budget or looks nicer in your computer.
>>
>>51299522

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvZRcf
rate my build /g/ee

also, should i be able to overclock to atleast 4.2 ghz with this mobo
>>
File: yeaa.png (45 KB, 705x418) Image search: [Google]
yeaa.png
45 KB, 705x418
>>51303393
>>51301195
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bYdDYJ

REVAMPED

theres no CPU selection because instead I decided im just gonna go around and town and scavenge for a used CPU. hopefully a locked i5 or i3-6100, decided against the G3258 because from what I gathered its true potential only comes out when overclocked right?

oh yeah also, an HDD that suffered a crash, and then another crash in the middle of a system restore probably isnt salvageable, is it?
>>
>>51299581
Terrible idea
Get Nvidia and get a stronger card then the 960, believe me you'll want to with games coming out
Don't get an SSD And use the extra saved to upgrade the GPU. They're essentially a meme and unless you are turning your PC off and on a hundred times while using it waiting an extra few seconds for stuff isn't an issue at all.
And utilizing the case? What the fuck are you talking about? R4 is a fantastic case, lots of room, and quiet as hell I highly recommend it
>>
Very meme build
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.