[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Console hacking / Game glitching thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 6
File: Selection_569.png (122 KB, 1431x587) Image search: [Google]
Selection_569.png
122 KB, 1431x587
Cont. from >>47594699

Last thread we discussed modern consoles. Let's continue.

>inb4 >>>/v/
This is pure tech.

Other embedded hardwares also welcome.
>>
From last thread

>>47627399
>>47627508
>>47627604
There's a dual core ARM11, ARM9 and ARM7. The ARM9 and 7 also include the GBA/DS hardware in them.

3DS mode use ARM11 for OS and apps and ARM9 for security and I/O. DS(i) mode use ARM9 and 7 for games and ARM11 for some other misc. stuff. Same with GBA but the ARM9 isn't used.
The system has firmwares for each mode.

>>47627559
PPC does the OS while the ARM does security and some I/O.

>>47628421
FPGAs are convenience tools for these purposes. They're like ASIC but reprogrammable. They can be programmed to do I/O or feed data to something.
>>
So is Ninty's OS BSD-like? it's listed as in-house on wikipedia. I can't imagine that they developed a full kernel all on their own.
>>
>>47636811
Everything from scratch. From the look of the FS it's nothing-like.

Sony's is however.
>>
Anyone here done any NES homebrew? How hard is it to learn 6502 assembly?
>>
>>47636811
It's not all that difficult.
>>
>>47636826
It's so weird that someone would still do that in this day and age. they must have built up a bunch of stuff from their early days that they're still using.
>>
>>47636896
They started with the Wii. Later consoles share similarities in OS structure.
>>
>>47636896
I imagine a lot of it still carries on from the really late 90s, considering that the Wii U still uses the IOS firmwares, and I think they started with those on the GameCube.
>>
>>47636896
The benefits are security through obscurity and lack of bloat that can potentially waste memory and CPU circles. I'd say it's well worth it for a console.
>>
>>47636914
>they started with those on the GameCube.
Did they now?
IOS starts with the Wii.

>>47636916
Their kernels have holes though.
>>
>>47637095
>Did they now?
>IOS starts with the Wii.
Shit that's right. I guess I was thinking of DOLs or something.
>>
File: 1429614760521.jpg (36 KB, 394x500) Image search: [Google]
1429614760521.jpg
36 KB, 394x500
Bump.

Any questions?
>>
>make a thread and a second thread about error handling in Pokemon R&B
>shit gets so interesting other people start making more threads
Didn't think my thread would get such an impact.
Good to know that this fucking board isn't just about cancerous homescreen/desktop/battlestaion...etc threads
>>
>>47638124
I'm just glad we're finally getting another real /g/ general
>>
>>47638158
This will probably die off, unless people start making minor projects 4fun on older hardware.

Like making a GameBoy Color Mod that lets you change the colour of LED lights, like the GBC did with GB games when it booted to the Nintendo Logo.
>>
Some guy was annoyed by the GPS warning thing and did this

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.html
>>
>>47638434
Holy shit, that work he had to put into just to get that messagebox gone.
Even had to buy another GPS to get it done since the one he owns does not had an exposed jTAG.

Very interesting read.
>>
In the Dreamcast PSO there's a function to run code sent from game server.

Console botnet.
>>
File: 1311282558406.jpg (24 KB, 659x360) Image search: [Google]
1311282558406.jpg
24 KB, 659x360
I heard some guy forked the dolphin project to emulate the Wii U. Is this serious?
>>
>>47636866
Often the biggest difficulty is to find a nice tutorial.
>>
I used to play around a lot with gameshark as a teen, finding new cheats by searching the memory was fun, even more fun when I started opening up memory editors in emulators and was able to read which value was which just from looking at them change.

One interesting thing is that the GBA pokemon games had regular static memory while Fire red and Leaf green had some dynamic thing taht moved the memory around and made cheats almost impossible. Somebody had to find a code to make the memory stay in place before being able to start working on the addresses
>>
>>47639207
He implemented some small things like ISO exploring but it won't get anywhere.

>>47639304
And now they went back to static.
>>
>>47639104
They had other dumb decisions too, like a locked room requires a password but if you just send "join room" it'll let you join.
>>
>>47636588
I was banned for making this thread yesterday, no idea why. Didn't notice this thread and actually made a new one.
>>
>>47641022
By this thread I meant a different one, but with the same subject by the way.
>>
>>47639304
Can you expand on the part you mentioned about making the memory stay in place? The same happens with computer games and I wonder how people manage to make trainers if the memory is dynamic.
>>
>>47641061
I'm not an expert, all I remember was that they just set the random number generator to a fixed value and that was enough to stop the memory from jumping around.

Of course it also meant that random events weren't really random anymore as long as the code was active
>>
>>47636588
Is there any progress getting unsigned code working in WiiU mode on current firmwares?
>Not the browser exploit
>>
The PS3 has a hypervisor on top of the running OS. The hack for it involves putting code in the USB device descriptor so when the hypervisor tries to read it the code executes on the hypervisor, which basically has access to the entire system.

The best thing, however, is that Sony fucked up on the RNG for their private keys, allowing them to be calculated. You know what happens next. Also affects the PSP.

(I think this is the gist of it. Not sure how accurate this is)
>>
>>47641096
Maybe it had something to do with ASLR?
AFAIK what ASLR does is randomize the address space, and if it used a random number generator that you could change to make it always generate the same number it would render ASLR ineffective?
>>
>>47641121
>Not the browser exploit
No.

Generally we have a new webkit exploit and and a kernel exploit.

>>47641160
The game probably implemented something like that. The term usually refers to the kernel's implementation though.
>>
>>47641127
Do you understand this?
http://pastie.org/795944
If so, do you mind explaining it to me?
>>
>>47641187
>the term refers to the kernel implementation
ASLR?
>probably had something like that
Was there a reason for a console back then to use ASLR?
>>
>>47641221
>Was there a reason for a console back then to use ASLR?
Prevent cheating? Other than that then no reason. Keep in mind that it's the game's doing, not the OS.
>>
>>47636588
Yes. I wonder if Metroid II used dynamic memory. Probably not.
I recall reading in one of these threads that the GB actually had virtual memory?
I wonder if the assembler used had structs or if they just used arrays like one fellow suggested.
>>47641022
For how long?
>>
>>47641263
Dunno, I went to sleep yesterday and when I checked the thread today a few hours ago it had 404 and when I tried to post it said I was banned and I had 15 hours left on the ban.
>>
>>47641263
>GB actually had virtual memory?
More like RAM and cart ROM mapped together.
>>
>>47641187
all I remember is that the thing in the game was called "DMA" (dynamical memory allocation?)
>>
>>47641290
DMA usually means Direct Memory Access.
>>
>>47641305
Someone said it's used to access memory without using CPU as to not waste cycles.
>>
>>47641318
Yes that's the point of DMA.
>>
>>47641284
Well yeah. It could only access 64k at a time so it used bank switching.
>>47641290
>>47641318
DMA is Direct Memory Access, which allows hardware like a GPU to access memory without going through the CPU in order to save cycles.
Someone was talking about how controlling the GPU gives you control of the system since it doesn't do any checking on where you write.
>>
Oh boy another shitty /v/ thread.
>>
ah here we go, found an article explaining the DMA:

http://interdpth.arc-nova.org/PJs%20stuff/Other%20people%27s%20stuff/The%20GBA%20Cheat%20Code%20Hacking%20Primer%20Series%20-%20ASM%20guides.htm

>In this lesson, I'll be introducing you to the scourge of hackers everywhere: Direct Memory Access (DMA). Why? I'll explain.

>Normal RAM hacking, relies heavily on the fact - whether you realise it or not - that the data you are searching for is static (stays in the same place), at least for the duration of the search (this doesn't include games where addresses are different for each level - though this is a less drastic variation of this).

>Now, to combat hackers, some games store data in dynamic locations - i.e. it is moving constantly, e.g. whenever you open a menu. Such games are the latest in the Megaman Series, and the newly released Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green.

>The method is called DMA, as this is the name of the BIOS function which allows the transfer of large amounts of data with a few instructions (it is usually used for inter-device communications, or for sound data).

>This presents a huge problems to us - it can be cirumvented, by finding points in the game where data is always stored in the same place, for example in Pokemon FR there is a small weakness to their scheme - I can't go into details at the moment, however once the US version is out I will be able to release this information.

>The weakness to this scheme is thus: Somewhere in the RAM, there must be a value that tells the game where the data in question is currently stored (a pointer) . We can modify this value so that the data stays in the same place, or (the usually more reliable method) modify the ASM that affects this value to keep it in one place.
>>
>>47641427
Not related, but is this how computer games trainers work? By using a pointer?
>>
>>47641341
That was the flaw with the MMU on the 3DS. Regardless, GPU can only write to a small portion anyway, so they started moving things out of there.

>>47641427
This means DMA is used/abused to provide a ASLR-like function. DMA isn't directly related to this.
>>47641472
No they edit RAM or scan memory or something. There could be many methods.
>>
>>47641580
I'm >>47641472
I know it uses a memory scanner, but those addresses change.
>>
>>47638434
Christ I don't think I'll ever know this much
>>
>>47642220
Install gentoo.
>>
>>47642262
I wish
>>
There's a tool that allows you check what certain pins do...it's logic something I forget. If anyone has this information please share.
>>
Anyone know anything about the 360 security?

>>47642599
Logic analyzer?
>>
>>47642616
>Logic analyzer
Yeah although I'm looking for a specific one. It's a box that has ribbons then the debugger pins.

It's suppose to be 100-500$
>>
I hope someone knows what I'm talking about, on a PSP there was some exploit that worked by you loading a picture, does anyone know it and how it works?
Another thing, the custom firmware you could install, how did people manage to dump the original firmware and modify it? I guess they get it because you can download the updates but how did they modify it, does it have any sort of protections?
>>
>>47642616
Found it, thanks for the info.
>>
>>47642650
TIFF exploit?
There was a mistake in the parsing code and it's vuln to a buffer overflow I guess.

I guess the updates had signatures but once you have a kernel exploit it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>47642680
What do you mean about updates having signatures? I'm talking about CFW, how did they modify it to run games or homebrew.
And yeah that's the TIFF exploit I was talking about thanks.
>>
>>47642732
I think they disable sig checks in the kernel and write something to emulate the UMD.

Later they load their own plugins and stuff I guess. Don't know much about the system.
>>
Bump.

Anyone can answer >>47642616
I heard it's very secure and all hacks have to be hardware-based. Why?
>>
>>47642773
Thanks, but what about modifying the official firmware to disable signature checks and emulating the UMD?
>>
>>47642650
It was a TIFF exploit and the weaponized version was chickHEN (HEN=Homebrew ENabler). The original CFW was more or less OFW modified to give access to dev settings and adding in a few minimal modules to allow custom features.
>>
>>47643127
How did they modify the OFW?
>>
Can you guys make a ps4 or xb1 or wii u emulator XD ;^)
>>
>>47643198
Sony released the OFW updates as pbp files. After properly dumping them and reverse engineering they started writing code for it. As I recall they either somehow stole a dev kit or reversed the Sony official one so they could write their own CFW. As it stands currently writing code for PSP is as easy as writing it in C https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PSP_Programming
>>
>>47643240
>properly dumping
The firmware itself is encrypted or something?
If they had to reverse engineer it, they only had to do it to the parts they needed to change and modify it with assembly right?
>>
>>47643198
Additionally you can find source code for CFW here that will give you some clue as to how they did it https://code.google.com/p/procfw/source/checkout

>>47643287
I don't believe so, as I recall Sony was pretty lax with the security of the firmware so it was probably just a packaged version of some compiled installer code. The original "mods" didn't actually add anything to the PSP they focused on getting it to reinstall the official 1.5 firmware that didn't didn't signature check executable code. After Sony more or less permanently got rid of 1.5 compatibility that's when CFW became attractive. Which is where the modding scene picked up and started building ontop of the already existing firmware.
>>
>>47643334
So they built on top of official firmware, did they have to reverse engineer the OFW and rewrite it?
>compiled installer code
Do you mean the compiled firmware or am I misunderstanding it?
>>
>>47641427
>>47641580
so are they just using the DMA controller to perform hardware accelerated memcpy to random areas of memory in order to obfuscate the memory contents from live debugging?
that seems rather pointless, because pointers that are pointing into the chunk of memory must be stored somewhere that's not being moved around randomly. Once you have a single pointer into a single value in the chunk, it seems to me that you'd be able to deduce relative offsets into other values that are also in that chunk.
>>
>>47643440
This is all coming from some really old memories I have from being in the PSP scene ages ago, but as I recall. They kept the core firmware, but the PSP uses an init system known as the Initial Program Loader or IPL. The IPL loads a set of files on boot and then uses them for functioning. Being very clever after downgrading to 1.5 became less beneficial modders developed their own IPL and then began developing modules that their IPL could launch (ISO loader, plugin support, CPU over/underclocking).
>>
>>47643515
Oh, so they only reverse engineered the core (and rewrote it I suppose?) and then wrote completely new code on top of it.
Thanks dude, since you were on the psp scene can you share some other stuff related to console hacking?
>>
Noob here.

In general, is it safe to assume that most hacking/glitching can be done just by changing the pointers or values of memory addresses?

How do you ensure that the address in memory that you're targeting will be read? Doesn't it change every time it's run? For example, if I have a simple c++ program that prints a pointer to memory for a variable, it would always print different memory addresses every time I run the application.
>>
>>47643587
Well the PSP scene is what I know a fair amount about. I knew a little bit about Wii's, Xbox (org) and PS2s. I can tell you that if you don't own an original modded Xbox you are missing out on one of the best consoles of all time. It's basically just a nice Pentium computer that you can plug into your TV in a nice case.
>>
>>47643605
I don't really know how it works, but cheat engine has a function that helps you found static memory addresses, but I don't know how it works sorry.
>>
>>47643637
Since you know about PSP, do you know how the savegame encryption was found? How do people found out how to decrypt and encrypt save games to modify them, there are a lot of secure encryption algorithms why doesn't the PSP use those, are they too slow?
Why the need to encrypt savegames in the first place, were they already expecting people to use them on buffer overflow exploits?
>>
>>47643797
My guess is that the PSP was always intended to be a portable console and this being a time before cloud services were a thing Sony opted fort the best of both worlds. They made an encryption module custom to the PSP so that the saves could only be opened by a PSP, but didn't do any user specific locking so that the saves would be portable to the user. Now most of this post is pure speculation, but I figure the way they did it was simple. They probably just monitored a game and when it dumped to the memory card look at how it differed from in memory. You can find somewhat useful information on the subject here http://www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/psp-homebrew-savegame-deemer-v111/page-2.html. I'm also assuming the encrypted the savegames to make it hard for a user to copy a save file to their computer and cheat a game. Though why anyone would do this when most of the save game things for PSP had to do with single player is completely up to your imagination. As for the encryption algorithm I'm guessing Sony (as it often does) figured security through obscurity would be fine.
>>
>>47643797
You can also check out the source code some modders put together to encrypt/decrypt saves here https://github.com/BrianBTB/SED-PC
>>
>>47643960
Thanks dude that makes sense.
What about the PS3 >>47641127 if I understand correctly the PS3 would use signing using a private key, and they screwed the random number generator making it that using the public key people found the private key and could use it to sign anything.
Am I understanding it correctly? If so, could one instead of finding the private key just generate another key pair, use the generated key pair to sign any homebrew and just switch the public key the console used? I'm almost sure I'm making a big confusion.
>>
>>47644068
Thanks, I'll try to understand it since I only know some python might be hard.
>>
Has there been any progress with cracking the PS Vita to CFW?
>>
>>47643198
The very first PSP firmware didn't had security checks on it, so people who bought a Japanese PSP with firmware 1.0 could write software for it and run it.
>>
I saw in the last threads that GBC has been hacked pretty thoroughly, including dissasemblies of a few Pokemon games. How about GBA? Are there many glitches or vulnerabilities there?
>>
>>47644261
What made the ps vita so hard to hack?
>>
>>47645332
Sony used a proprietary memory card so you couldn't plug it into a PC, and when you do transfer content, you use the Vita to pull data from Content Manager on the computer. AFAIK you actually can't move data to and fro the the Vita using the computer. On either the PC or Vita side or both the programs are checked for authenticity.
>>
>>47645536
What is the closest people have come to hack it?
>>
>>47645568
I know at least once, but I'm pretty sure it's been done on a few different firmwares, some project(s) got unsigned PSP software to run. To my knowledge, no actual Vita homebrew has been possible yet.
>>
>>47644109
Holy shit I'm an idiot, they weren't key pairs used to sign stuff, they were simply decryption keys for firmware updates.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10/25/sony-ps3-hacked-for-good-master-keys-revealed/

http://m.hexus.net/gaming/news/ps3/47177-sony-lets-slip-playstation-3-master-key-oops/

Anyway, any reason the guys who first got the keys didn't plan to release them?
>>
>>47645568
Well since it runs the PSP firmware all the PSP exploits are still available. I'm guessing eventually modders will break through from there.
>>
>>47645804
>Anyway, any reason the guys who first got the keys didn't plan to release them?
Because Sony, http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sony-follows-up-officially-sues-geohot-and-fail0verflow-over-ps/
>>
Is the ps3 hypervisor the same as an hypervisor used to run virtual machines? Does the whole os run on it as a security measure?
>>
>>47645812
I wonder if they'll hack the ps4 before the vita.
>>
>>47642220
>quad core running at 1.3Ghz
For what purpose?
>>
>>47647697
You mean 8 cores running at 1.6GHz
>>
>>47645928
Sorta.
>>
>>47648958
By sorta do you mean it's not completely correct?
>>
>>47649114
Nah I just don't really know much about it.
That's just the general idea. Not sure how it works exactly.
>>
Bump.

Maybe we should go back to game glitching/hacking.
>>
Don't know what to post, so how about some 3DS savedata stuff?

On top of being stored in a EEPROM chip (or for some games, the main NAND chip itself) inside a cart with encrypted communications protocol, the save is encrypted and has an AES MAC in it. The key used for encryption is
>>
Hit submit before the above is finished.
Cont. from >>47653178

is derived from the CARD ID and the keys inside the system (exact method differs between versions). What it does is take that ID then put it in a keyslot (3DS has multiple keyslots for hardware encryption/security engines), of which there already is another key there (this pair is referred to as keyx and keyy). Then , the hardware keyscrambler runs both through an unknown algorithm to generate the final normal key, which is used to encrypt and generate the AES MAC used for authentication.

The save data is a complete filesystem. Directories and files are written and read by the game after the the system mounts it. It also has another partition for redundancy.
>>
File: N3DSeMMC.jpg (131 KB, 752x558) Image search: [Google]
N3DSeMMC.jpg
131 KB, 752x558
Another bump
>>
>>47654284
I'd help you but I don't know, have a bump.
>>
File: Pinout_point.jpg (2 MB, 2031x2806) Image search: [Google]
Pinout_point.jpg
2 MB, 2031x2806
Bump?
>>
>>47655384
Intriguing. Anyone know what that is? USB-NAND interface perhaps?
>>
>>47655456
That was >>47654284

This is for capturing signals to the screen through test points.
>>
>>47655466
D'oh, now I feel retarded. Are there any more interesting test points on the 3DS? Looks like one could make one hell of a all in one dev/modchip for the 3DS with all this stuff.
>>
>>47655591
You can dump/write NAND, capture screen outputs and simulate buttons with the known points.
>>
Are companies getting more creative with their security?
Newer consoles seem to have less of a modchip scene than the old ones so that could be a sign of the end of an era.
Not that there's much content without online jewing anyway though.
>>
>>47642616
xbox360? free60.org has a wealth of info.

Most of the hacks revolve around smc hacks or glitching the cpu into compliance.
After that you set up shop with hacked firmware and become master race.
>>
>>47638434
I think I need to give up on trying to learn anything ever because I'll never be as good as this guy
>>
I've watched a video on how a cpu works, is it accurate and where do I go from here?
https://youtu.be/cNN_tTXABUA
>>
>>47656141
Nice attitude, stuff like this isn't learnt overnight.
You can't just say I will never learn this much, this is stuff you learn during many years.
>>
>>47643605
The memory is always referred to as relative. The kernel gives you some memory, and all your variables have a static offset. Always. But the offset is random. This can happen on the program level and the function level.
You always need a pointer to the memory so it's doable anyway but is harder
>>
>>47656141
>>47638434
Do you think this means you can attack someone's GPS and give wrong directions? Is it a viable solution?
>>
>>47656202
Not him but can you explain it more, like how to find the offsets and things like that.
>>
>>47645568
There is a webkit exploit that can launch the package installer, it got patched recently.
>>
>>47655639
>Newer consoles seem to have less of a modchip scene than the old ones

That must be because regular system software updates.
>>
>>47638434
I can't stop laughing, fucking bushing.
>>
>>47655639
Team xecuter work fulltime at modding the xbox one but they keep their findings secret because they profit from their work by selling mod/glitch chips and nand dumpers.

FailOverFlow had IOSU access a month after the WiiU came out but they never released their work.
>>
>>47657010
What is nand used for in consoles? From what I found its a type of flash memory, what does it store and what's the use in dumping it?
>>
>>47657524
Usually (part of) the OS.
>>
>>47657576
The OS is the same as the firmware right? So you can dump it to analyze it and maybe reverse engineer it?
>>
>>47657598
With modern consoles it's usually encrypted. So for backup only really. Maybe you can work out the partitions.
>>
>>47657606
For backup in case your mess up and brick your console?
>>
>>47657631
Yes. Or when you update, if the console doesn't have efuses like the 360.
>>
>>47657642
>efuses
Huh?
How would you go about using the backup?
>>
>>47657654
smc hack is permanently installed to literally hack the system every time it turns on, same with rgh.
On jtag xboxs you can bypass a resistor to protect your efuses, on rgh you don't need to.
The hacks have virtual efuses which will take the bullet, assuming your real ones are protected.
For non hacked consoles backups are worthless.
>>
>>47657654
Flash the backup back.

On the 360, they prevent this by blowing an efuse with each update, making the old software unbootable.
>>
>>47636588
>Entire machines dedicated to the destruction of technology
Why do people use these?
>>
>>47657677
>>47657680
Thanks, I think I understand it.
Something else about terminology, why is flashing sometimes used when talking about changing firmware?
>>
>>47657900
Flashing as in using a device to flash an image to a memory chip.
>>
>>47639104
Except they are all dial up...unless you bought that currently priced 100 dollar ethernet adapter...
>>
>>47658568
Or have one
>>
Why do wall glitches work?
Those glitches when you can run through walls if you try a lot or in certain places.
>>
>>47659040
Physics engine and collision map I guess.
>>
>>47659040
Guess I should provide an example
https://youtu.be/uJrbxgxOSIs
How can you so easily go through walls?
>>
>>47638434
how old is bushing and what's his background
>>
What's a good book to learn how hardware works? Something entry level about cpu instruction sets, registers, how it interacts with other hardware, that sort of things.
>>
Should probably move this to /vr/.
>>
>>47662124
Why?
>>
>>47662124
Please no. There's always these faggots that come up as soon as you mention GBA/GCN/PS2 and start shouting NOT RETRO! and report your thread/post
>>
>>47662124
This is far more of a /g/ thead. Hide it if you don't like it
>>
If anyone is interested in learning about console hacking I found this:
http://bunniefoo.com/nostarch/HackingTheXbox_Free.pdf
Maybe when starting a new thread we should have a list of resources, along with maybe videos of interesting glitches?
>>
>>47662143
/g/ moves too fast, and it's mostly about older videogame software anyways.

Plus there are a lot of smart /vr/ anons that know about low-level hacking like this.
>>
>>47662325
>/g/ moves too fast
That's another benefit, you don't have constantly 6 hours between posts
>>
>>47662185
Yea, instead we get fa/g/s bitching that this is too videogames for /g/ and sometimes janitors delete the threads here.

It's a lose-lose scenario.
>>
>>47662302
Here are some more resources:

http://wololo.net/2009/03/11/finding-gamesaves-exploits-on-the-psp/

http://wololo.net/2010/02/27/writing-a-binary-loader/

http://wololo.net/2013/04/05/tutorial-finding-vhbl-exploits-without-a-psp/

That website has some other interesting stuff related to console hacking, I hope someone finds these links useful.
>>
>>47662348
I'd take being on a slower board if it meant higher quality posts and not having to do stuff like this to avoid the thread from dying because of all the shitpost threads on /g/.

>>47650826
>>47654284
>>47655384
>>47637770
>>47643030
>>47654536
>>
>>47662411
I guess, but is /vr/ really fitted for this thread? We also talked plenty about more modern consoles.
>>
>>47662449
There was a PS2 general on /vr/ not too long ago that got 500+ posts and mods/jannies didn't touch it.
>>
>>47662325
This whole thread wouldn't fit /vr/, all of it is about newer consoles.
The other threads where more about older ones, but still, /g/ is a better place for it.

>>47662411
If it was on another board it wouldn't have /g/ users, and this thread wouldn't be what it is.
>>
>>47662478
Maybe it's a good idea then, does anyone wanna make a thread there now? If it gets deleted we can always make it here again.
>>
>>47662517
Well, we could divide the console hacking general into a pre-PS2/GCN/XBOX/GBA thread that goes on /vr/ and modern consoles go here, and have links to each thread in the OP's.
>>
>>47662599
That wouldn't work the thread is slow as is, imagine if it was further split into two threads.
I say we give it a go and make the thread there now.
>>
/vg/ has this thread >>101198561, but even thought it should be about the same topic, it's a little different, since it's more about people asking for help, piracy and some homebrew discussions.
Maybe moving there could be considered.
>>
>>47662685
Sorry, here's the right link >>>/vg/101198561
>>
>>47662757
That's actually pretty interesting, never seen that thread cause I never visit /v/ or /vg/
>>
Maybe we could be spared the wrath of /g/ mods and anons if we turned this into an "OS/Assembly Hacking/Glitches" thread that included both interesting computer software bugs and console games bugs.
>>
>>47662842
Well, it's a new general, it was only about the "Gateway" 3DS flashcard before.
>>
>>47662875
We could also ignore when people come here and tell this thread belongs on /v/, simply don't reply.
I was banned for starting one of these threads tho.
>>
>>47662971
I guess they banned you because they just look at some of the posts at the start of the thread, which where all "go to /vp/ this is clearly aboyt the pokemon anime :@@" or something like that. Mods just didn't know what the thread was about, and assumed it was a Pokémon thread or something
>>
>>47638434
He really hates that fucking message
>>
>>47663001
Good thing I could just restart my router :^)
But seriously banning me was completely bullshit they could've at least read some more of the thread, but that's beside the point.
What about moving this thread into /vg/ instead? Not sure if threads die quicker there though.
>>
Hey uh, if anybody wants the Xbox One SDK I have it saved on my windows hard drive...
>>
>>47663065
It was leaked I think.
>>
>>47641127
>The hack for it involves putting code in the USB device descriptor
I had a similar idea for an exploit but I don't have enough technical knowledge to implement it. This makes me sad.
>>
>>47663177
Then keep learning til you have enough knowledge :)
>>47663108
http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=7761/xbox-one-software-development-kit-leaked-on-twitter-with-documentation.html
>>
>>47643637
>I can tell you that if you don't own an original modded Xbox you are missing out on one of the best consoles of all time.
This*100,000. I'm an old Xbox scenester, it's the comfiest modded console in existence.
>>
>>47663376
Why? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, and I can't even program but I'm interested in learning.
>>
>>47662302
I actually had a physical copy of this book when it came out.
>>
>>47663573
I've started reading it but I don't understand all of it and I'm only like 80 pages in.
>>
>>47663190
>Then keep learning til you have enough knowledge :)
I like your outlook. :3
>>
>>47663395
Why is it the comfiest? Mostly because it has (had?) the biggest software scene: The most popular homebrew dashboard is _literally_ the basis for XBMC/Kodi (XBoxMediaCenter), combined with the minimal hassle of hacking and using the hacked console itself. Softmods can be implemented many ways, as simple as a savegame exploit, to hotswapping the hard drive. There are also mod chips that can be installed, AND you can just flash the BIOS by hand. After it's modded homebrew and pirate software is easily executable, as it NATIVELY supports booting software from the internal hard drive, which can be upgraded, up to a terabyte. XBMC, the most popular (and STILL DEVELOPED) dashboard, is an excellent media center for shows, movies, music, and obviously games. You can even soft reset out of running games and software back to the dash. With services like Xlink, you can play games like CoD and Halo:CE/2 online, and any official games run perfectly out of the box (unlike PS2, where you have to manually configure each game if you want to run it without burning it to a DVD, which is not only costly but also has issues which I do not feel like outlining.) The Xbox is the opus of console hacking.
>>
>>47663604
If you have any questions about it feel free to post them here and I'll try to help you. Include relevant page numbers too, if you can.
>>
This is my all-time favorite subject, I really hope these threads start to pick up. I would literally blow somebody to have popular console hacking generals.
>>
>>47663190
can you actually connect to a xbox one with the manager in the leak?

I think the titles need to be registered in so weird way so I have no idea if you can launch application from it?
>>
>>47663902
I would assume you need a dev console, or some kind of dev kit.
>>
>>47663937

The standard kits can be enabled as dev kits
>>
>>47663820
I really appreciate it but I stopped reading around those pages last time I tried a few weeks ago, but I'll start reading it again from the beggining now.
I think a big part of me not understanding some of the book is the fact I'm sometimes reading it and get distracted, and end up not understanding it well, the fact the book isn't in my native language probably doesn't help either.
Guess I just need to read with the tv off from now on.
>>
>>47663996
It's hard for me to commit to sitting down and reading a book for a long time, so I understand where you're coming from.
>>
>>47663958
More info pls.
>>
>>47664053
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/2/5166468/xbox-one-dev-kit-enable-button-presses
>>
>>47664083
OK just realised if you don't have the sandbox ID it wont work.

I haven't looked into it much don't own a shitbox
>>
Anyone here have a realistic prediction on when the ps4 and xbone will be hacked?
>>
>>47636811
Every nintendo game up until not long ago was the only thing running on the hardware, nintendo would have more experience than anyone writing software that does utterly everything.
>>
>>47636588
>Console hacking
Why not video game hacking too? It exists you know.
>>
>>47665832
That falls under the scope of the thread, it's kind of implied.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.