[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>apple watch >thinkpad >games Nobody gives a shit about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 20
File: nasa.jpg (66 KB, 625x400) Image search: [Google]
nasa.jpg
66 KB, 625x400
>apple watch
>thinkpad
>games

Nobody gives a shit about discovering the universe anymore.
>>
>>47105918
>Nobody gives a shit about discovering the universe anymore.
>implying

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_ballard_on_exploring_the_oceans
>>
>>47105918
no, you're just out of touch with people who do care because they don't waste all their time on shit like this fucking stupid board
>>
File: nolan lol.png (1 MB, 700x637) Image search: [Google]
nolan lol.png
1 MB, 700x637
i tried tellin'em
>>
>>47105918
feels bad man
>>
File: 1426567466938.jpg (813 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426567466938.jpg
813 KB, 1920x1080
>>47105947
>>
>>47106147
Just watched the movie for the first time it was really really good.
>>
>>47105918
So why don't you become an astronaut or astronomer, OP?
>>
File: Black_hole_lensing_web.gif (714 KB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
Black_hole_lensing_web.gif
714 KB, 240x192
We know of habitable planets in our galaxy and even in other galaxies, so why not send probes right now and spread our seed? It'll likely take 500 to 800 years to reach anything but no matter what happens here, at least a bit of us will be en-route to a new planet.

We could even send plants and animals to see if they take root in the new planet.

>>47106200
I thought it was silly and full of plot holes. I don't know, I didn't feel much outside of that part where they come back to the station and 27 years have passed.
>>
It's cause the private sector is shit at anything worth a shit. Look at Virgin Galactic's numerous crashes.

The private sector won't send a cosmonaut to space, and since /g/ is run by corporate shills it won't be discussed here.
>>
SpaceX do and they are all macfags
>>
>>47106264
>plot holes
name them.
>>
Anyone know that book where they are going to another planet and they take rabbits along and they get there and the grass is unedible then one of the little kids makes pancakes out of something on the planet?

I remember reading it when I was like in first grade.
>>
>>47106288
How did he come out of singularity back to the hospital?
>implying some "ranger" was crossing the universe for fun and out of nowhere "oh look, there is somebody!"
>>
>>47106288
If they have those AI robots, why not use them on Earth? They seem to know a lot compared to those school teachers who seemed pretty dumb.
>>
>>47106327
because earthlings have no money for this shit
they are hungry farmers
>>
>>47106344
What about all the rest of the world population? You don't mean to tell me that only some dirty peasant Texan farmers managed to survive after civilization collapse?
>>
>>47106264
>We know of habitable planets in our galaxy and even in other galaxies, so why not send probes right now and spread our seed? It'll likely take 500 to 800 years to reach anything but no matter what happens here, at least a bit of us will be en-route to a new planet.
We can't really navigate outside our solar system.
Even within there are huge areas we know nothing about [0], there could float literally anything.
Some even speculate about a hidden dwarf somewhere within this space [1], but this should be disproved by now.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_System#/media/File:Oort_cloud_Sedna_orbit.svg
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)
>>
>>47105918
this is fake as fuck
>>
File: .png (999 KB, 719x714) Image search: [Google]
.png
999 KB, 719x714
>>
>>47106264
>why not send probes right now and spread our seed?

This please. Even if we never get off this rock we could seed what is to come.

What if we are the civilization that explores the starts but the precursors who seeds 1000 civilizations across the universe.

Quick before we kill ourselves or jump start another dark ages.
>>
>>47106264
How would you "seed" a planet with humans, considering that we don't live for 500-800 years?
>>
>>47106279
Spacex exists because the US government thinks it sounds interesting. It is probably a fad.

Currently, though, Spacex has done nothing new, and shows little to no promise of exploring the Universe. It is a company, looking for profit, and flying cargo ships to LEO. Nothing more.
>>
>>47105918

>Nobody gives a shit about discovering the universe anymore.

Discovering the Universe?

Perhaps you mean, exploring?
>>
>>47106384

World Wars were referenced after the food got scarce. After that they have devoted most of their efforts to food. The NASA shit was done in secret as a last resort.

>>47106323
>How did he come out of singularity back to the hospital?
Future humans. They are the only reason #1 he survived falling into the fucker #2 the 5 dimensional bedroom shit happened. #3 and they dropped him exactly where and when he needed to be to get rescued. Remember all that time dilation allowed his daughter to get them off the planet and park the station near the worm hole. Future humans dropped him at the other end of the worm hole.

Now as these future humans are outside of linear time they are not bound by shit like cause and effect. So its not a problem that they saved the present humans who will eventually become them. Also they can see outside of time so they knew where and when to do everything to get the effect.

You might argue that this makes for a shitter movie when all this is done by an outside force and I would agree. It however is not a plot hole.
>>
>>47106793
Our civilization is in no danger of self-destruction. We're too big, communicate too fast, and as humans we're resilient and constantly reproducing. There will be no "dark age" ever again, as literature and information have become so easily-obtained.
We don't have enough bombs, conventional or nuclear, to stop the speeding freight train that is human progress.

We will become spacebound. It's only a matter of time.
If we do it now, we may suffer some for it, as our interplanetary transportation technology is somewhat lacking, but I predict an explosion of manned space travel when the technology is mature.

The trick really, is convincing those whose souls are weighed down by gravity to look to the stars.
>>
>>47106264
Not going to happen until we discover FTL space travel
>>
Can you imagine landing on another planet that was habitable? You would be fucked over by disease so fast since your immune system has no idea what it's supposed to be fighting
>>
>>47106906
>implying viruses and bacteria would infect you
They would never have evolved to the stage where they could infect cells or live in a human's "system".
>>
>>47106929
Maybe not a human's, but if life on other planets is similar enough it could be a possibility
>>
>>47106941
Of course.
>>
>>47106906
>pick up extraterrestrial cold virus
>have some flu-like symptoms for a few days
>recover because our immune systems are self-adapting
>you and any offspring your create afterwards are now adapted to it

Even if the atmosphere is habitable, air quality tests would surely be conducted before anyone took their helmets off.
>>
>>47106945
You remember anything about history and how natives were dying in huge numbers from diseases that Europeans brought with them?
>>
>>47106887
Wait, so all that stuff like Surveyor, Ranger, Galileo, MSL, Cassini, New Horizons, Dawn, Voyager, the Mariners, Pioneer, Hubble, Kepler, and all the rest of them, are really meaningless?
>>
>>47106967
Can't seed a planet until we can get there in a reasonable amount of time
>>
>>47106956
You remember anything about how there was life in America already? And how it was basically the same as life in Europe?
>>
>>47106956
>You remember anything about history and how natives were dying in huge numbers from diseases that Europeans brought with them?
That's because these diseases had evolved with Europeans (Europeans no longer died from them, hence they could be aggressive as fuck), and native Americans weren't different enough biologically so they died.

We're talking about a completely alien ecosystem where nothing can possibly have evolved to target humans or other specific organisms from Earth.
>>
>>47106979
We were assuming the planet we land on would have some form of life on it
>>
No political incentive, no monetary incentive. People are just boring now
>>
>>47106997
But that life would not be similar to our life.
>>
>>47107006
We don't know that for sure
>>
>>47106956
Because they had no concept of modern medicine.
The Europeans were immune to Smallpox because for generations they endured and tried to cure it. The native Americans not only had never seen it before, but their "cures" still came from mystic roots and were ineffective. Smallpox doesn't fuck around, but the only way to get it is from another living creature anyway.

By the time we get to another planet, our understanding of the human body will be so great as to make us nearly immortal. We discover ways to prolong our lives daily. You cannot compare it to anything in the past.
>>
>>47107011
>>47107011
I'm pretty sure. All current life relies on an oxygen- and nitrogen-rich environment. The sole reason for this was because of some organisms a couple of billion years ago that exhumed oxygen as a bi-product of whatever photosynthesis-like process they had for continuing life and reproducing.
>>
>>47107026
It wasn't as much about medicine as it was about evolution.

We didn't have modern medicine in the 1500s, we had -- as the native Americans -- herbs and roots and prayers.

The difference between Americans and Europeans was that we had built up a natural resistance to smallpox, while they had not.
>>
>BluRay rips get released
>Suddenly tons of space threads
Nice, but sadly, we would never reach even the nearest star, even with the most theoretical propulsion systems that don't exist yet.
Also there isn't enough resources on earth to do it.
http://www.davidreneke.com/rocket-scientists-say-well-never-reach-the-stars/
So, I'll be happy to be able to Browse dank memes
>>
>>47107069
We can at least colonize Mars
>>
>>47107029
SI based and/or methane (instead of oxygen) breathing life is a possibility, especially since there are quite a few methane-atmoshpere planets out there and afaik even the earth was one until bacteria changed it to oxygen/CO2. There are still methane-"breathing" organisms on earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanotroph
>>
>>47107127
Yup, which is why Titan and Europa are hot candidates for extraterrestrial life.
>>
>>47106956
Actually the illnesses had arrived a few decades earlier on seals
>>
>>47107150
Especially considering there should be oxygen on Europa (well, water). All you need to survive there is resist cold, darkness and being able to live in water. Plenty of terrestrial bacteria match these conditions.
>>
>>47107048
I meant "modern" in a contemporary sense. They were still doing dumb shit to try and save people, but after the bubonic plague, during the Rennaisance, the human body became more understood.
The Europeans were definitely more advanced in that regard.

>>47107069
>>47107089
>mine the shit out of the asteroid belt
>mine the shit out of Mars, Mercury, and Venus (might be tough)
>extract elements from the atmospheres of Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune (we lando calrissian now)

We can see the resources needed for interstellar travel, we just have to get there.

It'll be at minimum 2500 before we can send manned spacecraft outside the solar system though, none of us will live to see it, at least in or current, corporeal states.
>>
>>47107207
>. They were still doing dumb shit to try and save people, but after the bubonic plague, during the Rennaisance, the human body became more understood.
Well, relatively speaking you're right.

>The Europeans were definitely more advanced in that regard.
No shit. There's a reason why we managed to conquer the entire Americas in a matter of a few decades.
>>
>>47107003
>no monetary incentive

at least right now.

Each year as the US government raises the price on liquid helium, the idea of going to the moon to mine the He3 from the regolith becomes more and more lucrative.

i would no be surprised to see a private venture in the next 30 years attempt to lay claim to part of the moon for prospecting.
>>
File: SnapzProXScreenSnapz001.png (475 KB, 881x383) Image search: [Google]
SnapzProXScreenSnapz001.png
475 KB, 881x383
>you will never be able to custom order a planet
>>
>>47107221
>i would no be surprised to see a private venture in the next 30 years attempt to lay claim to part of the moon for prospecting.
Probably not the moon, but asteroids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_Resources
>>
>>47107221
>he idea of going to the moon to mine the He3 from the regolith becomes more and more lucrative.
You've watched too many bad sci-fi action flicks.

Mining He3 from the moon is a bad idea because
1) There isn't a lot there
2) The use case for it aren't particularly economically viable
3) Mining it on the fucking moon and transporting it home isn't economically viable for shit
>>
>>47107244
>Investors
>Larry Page
>Eric Schmidt
>James Cameron
My sides in orbit.
>>
>>47107246
>Mining it on the fucking moon and transporting it home isn't economically viable for shit

no
but building a particle accelerator that needs He3 and encircles the moon is
>>
>>47107264
>but building a particle accelerator that needs He3 and encircles the moon is
Fair point.
>>
>>47107244

I want to see someone make the attempt to capture Apopsis into a stable HEO.
>>
>>47107273
Me too, only I want to see someone fuck up the attempt and make the orbit intersect with Earth's orbit around the sun in some hundred years time and try to pull of a BP-esque apology campaign.
>>
THORIUM SALT NUCLEAR ENERGY WILL FUEL US TO THE STARSSSSSS
>>
>>47106883
Holy shit that would make a good narational ending for a movie.

Saves to notepad ;)
>>
>>47107273
>some company purchases the entire asteroid, drops it in HEO, and builds gigantic ads on its surface to be seen from Earth
>someone from future /g/ hacks it to display INSTALL GENTOO, pictures of Stallman, and peppers

TECHNOLOGY
>>
On the contrary, too many people are fixated on the idea of sending humans on interstellar travel or colonising Mars or other pointless exercises.
>>
>>47107300
Isn't this actually a viable energy source?
>>
>>47107359
>resources
>living space
>scientific discovery

>pointless

please go back to facebook, this is not a thread for you.
>>
File: 1282506512890.jpg (165 KB, 845x718) Image search: [Google]
1282506512890.jpg
165 KB, 845x718
This is quite possibly the most constructive thread I've seen on /g/ all year.

>install gentoo
>>
>>47107372
For what? Space travel? No.
>>
File: laugh_cry.jpg (98 KB, 540x600) Image search: [Google]
laugh_cry.jpg
98 KB, 540x600
>>47107389
>3.5gb
>a fine product
>>
>>47107379
>much space travel fetishism
This is truly the next indicator for fedoras, right after militant atheism.
>>
>>47107408
Check your privilege shitlord
>>
>>47107389
I AM FAT FUCK
>>
File: 415-vVRy+JL.jpg (20 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
415-vVRy+JL.jpg
20 KB, 500x447
>>47105918
Why dont you explore yourself before you explore space
http://www.amazon.com/Mangasm-Edge-Vibrating-Prostate-Milking/dp/B008B7TSX4
>>
>>47106967
Research isn't meaningless.

>so why not send probes right now and spread our seed?
That would be like marooning a handful of people on uninhabited land, but a thousand times more severe. It would be unethical and wouldn't serve any real purpose.

Plants and animals would be fine.

>>47107379
>>resources
Machines to survey and extract.
>>living space
What?
>>scientific discovery
Probes and rovers.

Again, there's no point in having people in space. Low gravity and artificial gravity have deleterious health effects and ultimately putting humans on the line achieves nothing that machines could not.
>>
File: america.jpg (447 KB, 1977x941) Image search: [Google]
america.jpg
447 KB, 1977x941
>>47107408
We won't get anywhere with your kind of attitude.
>>
>>47107446
Stick to the superbowl.
>>
>>47105947
Is it him?
Motherfcker is wearing fcking blazers since 90s
>>
File: SE1.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SE1.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Headphone users might want to turn down volume as the music starts out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvRgCEj5Zk
>>
>>47107221
>he idea of going to the moon to mine the He3 from the regolith becomes more and more lucrative.
>>47107246
>Mining He3 from the moon is a bad idea because

yfw curry niggers and chinks are already preparing to mine the moon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3#Extraterrestrial_abundance
>>
>>47106264
Because that would endanger any life that might already be there, silly.
>>
>>47107442
>Low gravity and artificial gravity have deleterious health effects
Sending humans into zero-g necessitates developments that would negate health effects.
How we can do that I don't really know, but we sure as hell can't solve those problems without actually sending people up there to give it a test.

If we truly cannot survive in space, then probes and robotic surrogates can help us, but we shouldn't sit on this rock until the sun burns out.
>>
>>47107392
Why not?
>>
>>47107510
>until the sun burns out.

oh we will be dead long before that.

i think current estimates puts the maximum time life can live on this planet at around 600,000,000 years. (when the sun's luminosity starts fucking with the CO2 levels killing plantlife)
>>
Keep going /g/. Enjoying this thread.
>> fresh debian install
>>
>>47107475

>future
>china & india live in abundance of energy and are prosperous countries
>usa and europe are basically third world countries due to rationing of energy
>>
>>47106451
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_
nice, never heard about this
why didnt no one make a movie about this?
>>
>>47106883
We dont need space , we need food
>>
>>47108034
We have food, we are just distributing it really bad
>>
Reminder that zero point energy generators are a thing but big oil doesnt want anyone to know they exist

We could have real flying cars powered by zpe and gravity manipulation by now but the corporatocracy will not allow it
>>
>>47107510
normal g or the g of the planet we want to visit can be attained using different ship designs that utilize cetrifugal force. Every sci-fi movie now-a-days has that shit. Any g is better than no g coz it creates a lot of problems like fcking up the bone density,taking extra energy for movement of food inside the body etc.
>>
Any good movies Interstellar-like?
>>
File: 1425888140997.jpg (37 KB, 454x510) Image search: [Google]
1425888140997.jpg
37 KB, 454x510
>>47108136

> Centrifugal force
>>
File: 1411475537247.jpg (207 KB, 806x1200) Image search: [Google]
1411475537247.jpg
207 KB, 806x1200
>>47108171
>>
Once the Chinese start their space program in earnest, we'll see a new space race. Gotta have competition.
>>
>>47108136
It's not normal linear G-force, the force varies across the height of a standing person, which is where the health effects of artificial gravity arrive.
>>
>>47108201
*arise
>>
>>47108171
>Pleb thinks his science teacher was right
Look at this retard.
>>
Everyone in this thread needs to go download space engine if you havent.

want the universe put into perspective? fire it up and finally understand just how fucking insignificant you are

>tfw space engine is too spooky
>>
>>47108246
Its Centripetal force

Centrifugal force doesn't even exist
>>
>>47108277
Centripedal force is the force required to keep an object rotating in a circle. Centrifugal force is the apparent force that arises in a rotating system. lrn2fisics you fuck.
>>
>>47108201
>linear G-force
You are right about this but something is better than nothing. Developing resistance against something, especially gravity, will take a lot of time and maybe many generations, hence we have to start with what we have.
>>
>>47107580
That's actually a relatively short period of time, geologically speaking.
>>
>>47108322
Right, yeah, so there's going to be some evolutionarily significant number of people just hanging out and reproducing for most if not all of their lives in artificial gravity for five hundred generations Just Because.

And then what? Humans can then spend extended periods in artificial gravity without difficulty. What does this achieve?
>>
>>47108277 (You)
>Centripedal force is the force required to keep an object rotating in a circle. Centrifugal force is the apparent force that arises in a rotating system. lrn2fisics you fuck.

Except thats wrong
>>
>>47108382
>Humans can then spend extended periods in artificial gravity without difficulty.
then they don't have to evolve. Problem solved
>>
>>47108384
>>47108277
>>47108171
Samefagging?
>>
>>47108432
Most likely.
>>
File: centrifugal_force.png (45 KB, 400x595) Image search: [Google]
centrifugal_force.png
45 KB, 400x595
>>47108384
>>
>>47108475
i dont get it
anyway, any space movie recommendations?
>>
File: angry-028.jpg (32 KB, 323x337) Image search: [Google]
angry-028.jpg
32 KB, 323x337
>people who read pop-science bullshit and then come to /g/ to complain about how we only talk about computers.
Fuck off.
>>
>>47109091
/g/ 2015, everyone.
>>
>>47109121
No, fuck you.
I legit want to go to space, I even know all the drawbacks that it has on your bone structure and muscles, as well as the fact that you pretty much have to strap yourself to pee or take a shit.

I was one of those kids who wanted to be an astronaut, only thing is that more than 20 years later I still want to
>>
>>47105918
None of those hold back or detract from space exploration you stupid fat fuck.
>>
>>47109143
There is definitely centrifugal force so I don't get it either. If anything centripetal force is just an inaginary reverse of centrifugal force.
>>
>>47105918
drake equation explanation: aliens became macfags
>>
>>47105918
We're headed towards our own annihilation. Part of me wants us to end right here and now, before we spread like a disease to ravage some other planet. We'll never change.

I think key people who have the right affordances at their disposal (read: have money) have long since realized this. People have been realizing this since the dawn of human civilization. Remains to be seen what becomes of it.

But no. It isn't a "la-di-dah I'm curious gonna go explore now~" things. There's a lot of money at stake. And it's ultimately going to be a matter of life and death, and decide the fate of our species. If we hadn't dicked around and actually looked into thorium 50 years ago, we might have a functioning moon base right now.
>>
>>47109166
>I legit want to go to space
That's great. Wanting to go to space doesn't mean shit if you don't want to do that science that will be done in space. Science isn't your Sci Channel and Geek.org nonsense.
>>
>>47109230
No but everyone who wants to go to space should have the opportunity to. It's a birthright.
>>
>>47109230
I never said that I don't, I work on research, problem is that my fuel cell work is probably never going to be noticed to try it out there
>>
File: ok.png (390 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
390 KB, 1024x576
N A S A
>>
>>47109166
>I legit want to go to space, I even know all the drawbacks that it has on your bone structure and muscles,
Don't forget rapid brain and organ damage.

Mostly brain. We haven't solved this issue yet. Colonists sent to Mars might be half brain dead and dementia ridden by the time they get there. It's uncertain how accumulated damage will play out.
>>
>>47109300
>Dubs
I think even the trip there causes small organ damage because of the force applied to the lungs and stomach
>>
File: image_7402.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image_7402.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
NASA technology is the only technology money should be spend on.
>>
>>47109342
>what is SpaceX
no thanks NASA
>>
>>47109208
>>47109143
>>47108475
They are both correct. It all depends on frames of reference.

I'm going to call it "torture machine" as not to confuse you with the real term of centrifuge.

> Evil guys on the ground sees Mr Bond moving around in a circle and that the force is actually pulling Mr Bond to the center of the torture machine, that's centripetal force.

> However from Mr Bond's point of view, he doesn't see himself rotating (if he looks straight, he going in a straight path). To their mind they're lying still on the torture machine going forward. That is, according to his frame of reference. But Mr Bond feels this mysterious force pushing him to the edge the torture machine; this force (inertia) is pointing away from the center of the machine and is the centrifugal force.

I like that strip, you can only appreciate it if you get it, since centripetal force and centrifugal force are the exact same force, just in opposite directions because they're experienced from different frames of reference.
>>
>>47105918
>/g/
>technology and science
Please, this is /v/'s lair for consumerism.
>>
>>47109567
Whoops, replace the words Mr Bond and Evil guy around, the overall POV is still correct.

Bond experiences pulling towards middle "centripetal force", whereas Evil guy sees pushing out "centrifugal"
>>
File: SpaceX Falcon 9.jpg (52 KB, 970x647) Image search: [Google]
SpaceX Falcon 9.jpg
52 KB, 970x647
>>47109342
>implying Musk isn't leaving every government space agency in the dust
>>
>>47105918
its just this board
you've been exposed to the cancer for too long
>>
>>47106147
is this interstellar?
>>
>>47107441
>Amazon reviews
>>
File: RedditFag.png (86 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
RedditFag.png
86 KB, 1366x768
>>47107441
>>
>>47110323
>implying Musk does it all
>>
>>47112510
Yes, here you go:
>>>/wg/6127515
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.