[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mostly running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_122486953023101.jpg (50 KB, 460x645) Image search: [Google]
IMG_122486953023101.jpg
50 KB, 460x645
Sup guys
Literally first time I post here, maybe second time I visit.
As of now I'm "between stages" in my life, finished learning and not yet in any kind of job so it's a great time to try and get into anything I otherwise wouldn't have the will power to do.
Among them I want to get in shape and make fitness a constant part of my life so anything I'll do in the future would come in the way of my fitness activities and not the way around.

As of yet I don't have any gym memberships, I'm currently working on one, but for now I started running and am trying to keep up with it every day as a law or else I know I'll drop it.
I read the sticky and it seems the couch to 5k plan is advised, but it says that I should run three times a week while like I said, I want to run every day. Also I tried it yesterday and found that the 25 or so minutes of running seem to be too short. Ended up repeating the workout for about two times more. ( I'm guessing it's not advised but it seems like a waste of time to go out and run for only 25 minutes, I have pretty much have nothing else productive to do with the rest of the day)

So my question is how horribly wrong am I doing, where can I improve so I won't get some kind of injury and also what should I do to really use my time. I'm looking for about one to two hours of activity.

I'm guessing my question is either overused or retarded, most likely both, but like I said I read the sticky and I believe it's more aimed towards employed and acting parts of society that can only dedicate little to no time a week while I have all the time in the world right now.

Ty
>>
pls ;_;
>>
>>34854472
I'd recommend following a couch to 5k program too. It sounds to me as though you're running a bit too often. In the early stages of getting running fitness, there's a lot of muscle building that happens and a lot of room for injury. Try running every second day and set yourself some nice intervals, like 5 mins running with 1 min fast walking. Do that for 20 to 40 mins. Then gradually build your mileage so you can run 3 miles without stopping, then 3, then 4, then 5. After about two months you should be good with running 5 or six miles without stopping. Then start working on your speed and endurance. Deliberately run in hilly terrain. Work on sprinting the last 50 yards, then make it 100 yards, then 200, then 400. You need the days off to let your muscles rebuild. If you don't have breaks, then your muscle development will be hindered and you'll get more injuries.

After a few months of this, you should have some really fantastic running fitness and you'll lose a lot of weight and build some great muscle definition plus get some good cardiovascular fitness.
I really fantastic aim would be 30 miles a week in four or five runs of varying length, and then cross training on the other days (swimming, tennis, weights, whatever). Find some cheap races to go in too. They're great for motivation. And get a stats app like runkeeper as well.

Good luck! It's a great way to be using your time while you're not otherwise employed and have not too much cash.
>>
Probably the hype and energy of the first week but it all feels too slow, and not in the sense of "results come slow" but that I feel I can do so much more.
But yeah I don't wanna overload myself, specially in such a quick burst from nothing.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll back off a little.
>>
>>34855472
Just be patient. Set some safe goals. The biggest problem with running is making bad choices that lead to injuries, that then put you out of action for a week or two and you lose fitness. The best approach is to gradually build stamina. You'll get all the fitness rewards that way. Any other time you're feeling restless, just do something that uses another part of your body. If you want to save money, I'd recommend working on sit ups and push ups every single day. Also very cheap and brings some big rewards.
>>
>>34855553
Sit ups and push ups are part of the daily routine I already try to keep up with.
By the way I do come across a "park gym" or whatever the name is. Are they even worth the bother? Some seem just pointless, specially the ones that don't use your weight as a factor for the power you need to put in.
>>
>>34855649
You mean a set of bars and benches in a park you can do exercises on? I suppose that works. I've never been such a fan. I like the high you get from running when you're in shape, and also having a good music play list to run to. I also recommend the forums on Runner's World for more info.
>>
File: allisonstokke2.jpg (35 KB, 650x718) Image search: [Google]
allisonstokke2.jpg
35 KB, 650x718
>>34854472
I also started with the couch to 5k before I started going to the gym. I wasn´t fat, but I was completely sedentary. It took me a little longer than what the program suggests to achieve the results, but I got there. I think you are doing fine. Be patient for results, they will come.

I´m no bodybuilder like some here, but I´m quite proud of being able to do 3x10 pull ups.
>>
File: 2362164_869306ae.jpg (109 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2362164_869306ae.jpg
109 KB, 640x480
>>34855723
I mean this kind. Nowdays these are popping up in most rich neighborhoods. Lucky for me, I live not far from a couple.
Anyway I was just at one of these parks, feels productive.
>>
>>34855774
The result being running a 5k? Cause mine is mostly losing some weight, though I'm sure these two come hand in hand.
>>
>>34857258
Cool. You're lucky to have those facilities. It's nice to have a local government that provides them. Edinburgh, right? They don't exist in New York where everything is privately run and profit driven. I've seen them in Dubai too, though again run at high use cost and for a profit.
>>
>>34857258
which one is the squat rack
>>
>>34857535
Israel actually. I'm just as surprised its all free, open and NOT broken or stolen by vandals.
Also this is just a picture I got from google. Id wanted to take a picture but I was there at 00:30 at night and one thing they didn't think of is putting some streetlights close enough. (Not that this is relevant but ours are all consistently red, the green in the picture looks cooler)

>>34857582
Id say the closest you can get is the one in the back one before the last. You become the weight by sitting on it and pushing it up. You pull up your own weight, that way its good all kinds of people.
>>
>>34857313
It should be quite hard to be able to run 5k being overweight.
>>
Could someone get jacked doing these exercises with sufficient weight?http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm
>>
>>34858402
Yeah you're probably right.

>>34858452
I think you could, specially if you stack up some weights on the seats and sit on them once you feel the need to go up a notch. (you dont really lift your own weight, its all levers and such to make it light enough)
They aren't too comfortable tho
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.