[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, my rotator cuff is absolutely fucked. Any of you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hey guys, my rotator cuff is absolutely fucked. Any of you guys fixed it through the surgery? Did you manage to regain full mobility and strenght in the shoulder? How long did the rehabilitation take?
>>
>>36470855
How old are you??? Tyipical RC tear patients are like 60+ man are you sure that's what it is?

Most of the post-rehab stuff you hear takes this into account, so these people aren't exactly high-performance athletes to begin with. If they can go from not being able to lift their arm due to humeral head scraping their acromion every time to being able to brush their hair then that's a win for lots of people. There's still gonna be months of rehab before it heals and is "back to normal".

Surgical consultant for an orthopedics company here, ask away.
>>
>>36470855

I dont know how to fix it if it is fucked already.

But here is advice for anyone donig shoulder exercises or people who start having shoulder pain.

Do not fucking do neck press/behind neck OHP, just dont fucking do it.

If you do DB shoulder incline bench, dont point your elbows outwards/to the sides, that will fuck your rotator cuff just like OP. POINT YOUR ELBOWS FORWARDS.

> Anon, i tried it and i needed to drop my weigh by 20 lbs because it was too heavy

Yes motherfucker, the DB shoulder incline bench pointing your elbows forwards targets your shoulder way fucking more this way.

Tell me how often did you have soreness in your front delt? Yes, me neither. I did this exercise 1 day and boom i was fucking sore in my front delt as fuark.
>>
>>36471115

Thanks for the answer.

I am 27. I'm pretty sure it's mechanical tear. I damaged it working out before, but it always managed to heal almost fully after taking a break from the gym.

I hurt myself on a motorbike back in september, hurt a lot, decreased mobility and all this stuff. My shoulder healed a bit over the course of two months, but in december I had a minor accident (fell of the stairs - I know) and landed on my butt, supporting myself on my arm. Woke up next day with horrible pain, literally crying from pain. It is march now, and I suffer from decreased mobility (well, the shoulder is mobile, but everyime I do certain movements, I can feel excruciating pain). It simply won't heal on it own. I'm going to see a doctor this week, and I'm afraid I will have to go through surgery, whatever helps,
>>
>>36471314
The doctor will (obviously) be able to tell you more once he takes a look at you. They'll probably do an ultrasound/MRI to assess the size of the tear and then they'll know whether surgery or rehab is your best option.

Important thing to remember is that pain-free =/= healed. If you do need surgery it's not the end of the world. You're young and active, you've got INCREDIBLY better bone density/tendon quality then 99% of rotator cuff patients. Yeah it'll hurt and yeah you'll be rehabbing it for a few months but in the end you'll be better off.

You can always get a second opinion (I'm Canadian so I actually dunno... maybe not if that will end up being $$$$$ but yeah...)
>>
>>36471314
One last piece of advice, if they say you need surgery, get the fucking surgery. So many sports med patients think they know best, but the longer you wait the more your rotator cuff muscle will atrophy/the more the tendon will degrade in quality. If you're not using a muscle (ie. it's not fucking attached any more) your body has no reason to waste energy keeping it strong, and having the resultant shitty tendons can make your eventual surgical repair much harder/more likely to fail.

Having said that, orthopedic surgery/technology has come a long fucking way from the days of "open up the shoulder, staple it down, and pray" so as long as your surgeon isn't an idiot and is on the same page as you with respect to you being active and you (likely) wanting to rehab as aggressively as possible then you're probably in good hands. These guys are doctors not morons after all.
>>
As we are in this topic, when should I start active recovery from shoulder impingement?
I thought my pain was almost complety gone yesterday, so I warmed up and did Alan Thrall's YTWL's. Today the pain is back again.
>>
>>36471447
>>36471535

Appreciate the reply.

I will certainly opt out for surgery if possible. Healthcare is free here, albeit the wait times can be long. Hopefully I won't have to wait that long. I just want to get back to my normal self. Lack of excercise is horrible. I was quite active and of decent build, watching your body wither away is awful no matter what.
>>
>>36471633
I found alan thralls ytwl with that band to cause pain for me aswell.

I had no pain and better targeting of the muscle when i did them horizontally on an exercise ball with just the weight of my own arms. Then progress to extremely light dumbells
>>
>>36471271
tl;dr Press always with your elbows at 45-60 degrees from torso.
>>
>>36470855
Shoulder injuries don't go away, even with surgery. Enjoy your LMAO press for the rest of time.
>>
>>36472890

I Have come to terms with it. LMAO progress is better than no progress
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.