[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lanklets of /fit/ unite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Does anybody know of any good upper body form vids specifically for lanky fucks like me for main lifts?

I've had pinched nerves in my shoulders and elbows from lifting in the past and I think it has a lot to do with my form but I don't know how else to do my lifts correctly because I'm lanky bastard with giant wingspan.

Also personal experience from you other 6'2''-6'5'' masterrace dudes that have made it would be helpful.

inb4 read the sticky, lmgtfy, etc.
>>
OP here. The one site I've found that seems to be helpful is here:

http://bonytobeastly.com/ectomorph-weightlifting/

I understand that strong core stabilizers are and important foundation for heavy lifts, but as I read the article it seems to imply that a lot of the pull lifts require using your back and this just seems opposite of conventional heavy lifts form, i.e. using your back for heavy deads. Am I wrong about this?
>>
>Tfw 5'11 manlet with long monkey arms
kill me /fit/
>>
So honestly for lanky dudes it's not as bad as you're making out - you have bigger ROM, but also far more capacity to put on muscle. Your wilks won't be as pretty but who cares really, you can still get far stronger in total weight lifted than smaller guys, generally, so long as you're prepared to go up the weight classes

I'm long limbs short torso, which is basically like being tall except you're not, and these cues all helped me in the PL days:

bench: narrower grip, maybe just outside shoulder width, bring bar to just under solar plexus, use less arch

squat: wider stance, more external rotation in hips, and focus more on keeping tension in hamstrings and glutes than using hip flexor stretch reflex

deadlift, personally I pretty much only conventional, but you should generally be decent regardless as long as you really focus on keeping the bar straight up and down, tight lats, chest up, etc.
>>
>>34542651
Not OP but thanks for the tips on the bench.

Someone at my gym taught me the same squat cues after seeing me struggle with babbyweights. I haven't seen him since. I want to thank him so much, I've put 100 lbs on my squat since he did. ;_;
>>
I'm 6'2" with a 6'3" wing span. Honestly the bench was a struggle for me, but it just ads with time. Make sure you arent benching with a flair grip. You should bring the bar down to your lower chest. Keep a more narrow grip like pinky finger on the marker. bring your feet in and be on the ball of your feet. Squeeze your ass as well. Tuck shoulder back and down. This should get you really tight and it important to be tight as a lankey lifter. Stocky manlets are build tight, but lanky lifters can end up losing tightness easily then the bar is all over the place and it become a bad lift.

Also don't just drop the weight stay controlled on the way down because this keeps you nice and tight. I like to imagine it as a crossbow loading and then shooting up.

Remember if it doesn't touch your chest or your butt comes off the bench its no good.
>>
>>34542772
Thanks ma8ey I'll try this. Sometimes I regret being 6'2 but at least I'm not a manlet
>>
>>34542651
>>34542772

OP, I appreciate the input from you guys. I'll have to try the bench tips, I think maybe I've got my hands too far apart. I guess my rationale was that I thought would activate the entire width of my pectorals.

My other problem is rows, specifically seated cable and bent-over rows. My elbow in full flexion pinches the nerve in my arm when loaded and it shoots all the way down the ulnar side of my forearm.
>>
>>34542651
>bench: narrower grip, maybe just outside shoulder width, bring bar to just under solar plexus, use less arch

what's the logic behind this? shouldn't you grip wider and more arch since you want lesser ROM to compensate for your lanky arms?
>>
>>34542846

You can only lessen the ROM so far before the sheer stress on your shoulder joint starts to cause issues. Long-armed benchers end up with their elbows going down a lot further than short-armed benchers.
>>
>>34542846
Wider grip puts too much pressure on the shoulder imo.
>6'3" with 6'5" wingspan
I do pinky on rings but I arch as much as I can without keeping my feet pulled in. You can drive through you heels and all the weight comes down on your lower back if you do that.
Also a wide grip makes it harder to keep your shoulders pinched and keep your delts out of the lift.
>>
>>34542899
You can't* drive..
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.