[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have shin splints. Bad, thanks to the army. I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: shin splints.jpg (41 KB, 520x420) Image search: [Google]
shin splints.jpg
41 KB, 520x420
So I have shin splints. Bad, thanks to the army.

I can't run more than 2 minutes or jump a rope that i get pains, but i do that anyway.

Anyone know how to deal with this shit ?
>>
File: 1129201507371.jpg (137 KB, 480x852) Image search: [Google]
1129201507371.jpg
137 KB, 480x852
>>36223309
Bump, went for a 5k run two weeks ago and my shins are still a bit sore so I'm also curious, in hindsight I should have realised that just because I had the cardio fitness to run that far didn't mean that my body was ready
>>
>>36223309

how long has it been since you started feeling the pain and how often have you been running since the pain started. and how long before the pain occured did you begin running consistently?

rest and getting yer micros is your best bet.

running on concrete is absolutely inexcusable, will confirmed fuck your joints.

it takes time to build the bone density and muscle to be able to run many miles a week/month, youve worn your body out and need to rest rest rest.

RICE

also my advice for rest only applies if youre reasonably new to running, as in like first 2 years.
>>
>>36223309
aren't pretty much all shin splints caused by a weak tibialis anterior?
>>
I had this for most of my life. It actually has nothing to do with your shins but the muscles that wrap around them, run your finger down the crease between your shin and calf muscle. Reducing the tightness in this are will clear it up. Invest in better shoes and fix your running technique.
>>
>>36223309
You have weak ass calves because you never pounded pavement before.

It goes away with time.
Suck it the fuck up.
>>
>>36223335
I've been doing C25K for two months now and I've found muscle soreness is the limiting factor, not cardio.
>>
Stretch your calves and massage your shins
>>
>>36223699
this plus RICE.
>>
>>36223309
>>36223758
This OP. Every new runner thinks they have shin splints just because they get a little sore. Your muscle is not separating from the bone. You're just a little bitch who needs, ice, ibuprofen, and a healthy dose of man the fuck up.
>>
Massage them daily, hard. You must feel the pain and break down the splints. Use your thumbs, slide them up or down the lenght of your shins while pressing forcefully.

At least that's how I got rid of my splints back in the army. They were gone in a few days.
>>
https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SG-1900

Things called The Stick, former AUS Army here - this thing cured my shin splints, although it hurt like hell and I still use it every day I run just to make sure they dont come back.

Can also get from Iron Edge or The Wod Life I think if you're in Aus.
>>
>>36223309
Stretch your calves thoroughly the night before running. Better option, quit the army, they will break you through their lack of knowledge and general incompetence.
>>
>>36223309
>>36223335
how about stop running until shin splints are gone

in the mean time go to the gym and get swole

dem squats n deads will be great rehab
>>
>>36224219
>>36223758

OP here. I ran multiple half marathons, I'm no competitive runner, but no pussy weak bitch either.

It's been diagnosed by an army doctor who said "lol can't do shit, take this medicine"
>>
>>36225192
yeah you definitely have to start lifting

endurance fags are usually twigs, ironically making them much more susceptible to this kind of shit

that's why you don't do endurance you shitter
>>
>>36223309
1. Eat almonds
2. Do this exercise:
put your feet on a towel, then grab it with your toes and lift in in the air. Repeat
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
What about pain when touched in the area I've circled??

Hurts when I raise toes I towards my body and it kinda hurt running the other day but not too bad.

Just took a 2 week break and started running again yesterday so as long as the pain is way below like a 4/10 on pain scale I can't do any harm right? It'll just go as I get stronger again
>>
>>36225226

Jesus christ who said I don't lift ?
>>
>>36225231
make sure the almonds are activated or it won't work
>>
>>36225172
You forgot to tell him to do those in sandals. Sandals will keep the pressure off your splints.
>>
>>36225268
Time heals all wounds, be patient.

Also swim, swimming is goat. Swimming allows for growth while applying minimum to no pressure to your joints and legs.
>>
>>36223309
I used to get brutal shin splints. Went to a couple podiatrists and they all told me I was pronating heavily and that that could have an effect on it. Maybe you need orthotics?

Beyond that I've found that strengthening my ankles and lower leg muscles have helped immensely. My calves were always massive (I can max out the standing calve raise machine and use lmao6plaet on the seated calf raise) so I focused on the muscles that raise your toes. Grab a plate and put it on your toes and raise it until you cramp up and die. Repeat 3 times daily.
>>
>>36225319
Yeah, it sure does. I've just been told that as long as you can walk for 30 minutes briskly with no pain, and hop on the affected leg with no pain you should be fine to return to running at a reduced intensity. Is that true? It's just hard to know the difference between "yeah it's no big deal I can run" and "yeah it feels off I need to rest".

I guess I'm the sort that thinks , "unless I physically am in a good amount of pain during/after a run I'm gonna carry on"
>>
>>36223309

Former military guy here,

Shin splint can only be cured with rest. Discuss with a doctor immediatly on what to do next, your army doctor should be a reliable source. Stop doing exercises that involve the shin as of now. Everytime you feel pain you only make it worse.

I hope for you it's not logesyndrom because that means bye bye army carreer.
>>
>>36225431
>logesyndrom

I'm out now so that's out of the question.
It gets really bad especially when I jump the rope.
>>
File: kinesiotape.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kinesiotape.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
Stretch your shins and calves. Getting tape like this from a physiotherapist also helped me.
>>
Experienced first signs of shin splints last week after 15 mile run. What helped me was foamrolling the calve muscle and shins. Put lots of pressure on the calves!
>>
File: Bez názvu.png (20 KB, 992x480) Image search: [Google]
Bez názvu.png
20 KB, 992x480
>>36223309

when foot is landing, do not open angle between shin and foot too much. it has to be just slightly less than 90°
>>
File: Picture3.jpg (4 KB, 197x222) Image search: [Google]
Picture3.jpg
4 KB, 197x222
When I thought i had shin splints I stretched the front of my lower leg (more or less like pic related)
and did a strengthening exercise (put a flexibility band around a pole of some sort and then lie on the ground with the other end of the band around your toe so the band is pulling your foot into a tippy toe position and then you pull against it)
>>
>>36224484
Kek, this. Deploy to cop couch op.
>>
>>36223309
If you're out now then just rest them. I was in for 4.5 years and had them pretty much the whole time. Haven't had any pain since I got out since i stopped doing 8 mile detox runs and bullshit like that.
>>
http://www.somaxsports.com/video.php?analysis=chris-solinsky-stride-analysis

tl;dr

Vertical shins or lower when you strike
No overstriding
Limit your toes going up

I've been running seriously for half an year and never got shin splints but I got them a few years ago when I wasn't aware there was a thing like running form.

Also don't bounce like Bambi
>>
Buy new shoes
>>
>>36223309
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1786-senders-and-shin-pain/

and stretch the shit out of both the front and back of your lower leg.
>>
>>36226491
>2016
>still believing in kinesiotape

top fucking kek m8
>>
>>36223758
>>36224219
BULLSHIT faggots

I have it real fucking bad. It got better and then I fucked them up again. I can't run more than a mile before my shins stop functioning. Chronic compartment syndrome, look it up

Man up my ass. You don't know how hard I tried to run through agony only for it to be even worse the next time I tried
>>
>>36225293
If you lifted you would avoid marathons that destroy your muscle mass
>>
Fatasfatass here, I find that using a metal bar and dragging it up and down the front of my shin hard helps.

It's almost like breaking up scar tissue, you should feel the same crackling. After a vigorous session of this, rest for a few days.
>>
Will DL and squats fix this?

After some minutes of walking fast i get this shit
and start limping
>>
>>36223309
Not reading this whole thread but I will say this. Look up "running clinic" videos, or how to run properly or some combination of that shit. Most human beings don't run properly because they wear shoes their whole lives, which make it comfortable to run and walk unnaturally -- kind of the same way a lot of people can't squat because they always sit in chairs, can't identify smells well becauss we only try to smell good things and stay away from environments where sense of smell determines if we live or die, etc. If you ran barefoot you would immediately start to coreect your form because it hurts like fuck to run improperly while barefoot.

Look up how to actually run and work on that.
>>
File: 1331725799944.jpg (68 KB, 562x434) Image search: [Google]
1331725799944.jpg
68 KB, 562x434
>>36230225
>>
Take your shoes off and trace out the letters of the alphabet with your big toe on the ground. Sounds stupid but it sorted my shin splints.
>>
>>36223829
are you getting enough zinc and potassium? If you are training you need about 5000mg of potassium a day. If you are not watching what you eat it can be hard to get that amount. I wasn't able to till i started drinking v-8 (low sodium).

as far as how you are striking.. that might affect your joints etc. When you strike your leg should be a spring with pivots at your ankle, knee and hip. The heel cushion of your shoe should not be getting any wear.

Smaller steps more frequently is the key. WHen i started running again in had to train myself to run correctly. I did this by running on pavement in sandals Not long distances, maybe a minute to 2 minutes of running at a time.. No padding so if i wasn't striking with the front of my foot i felt it.

The tenchique and striking might not be that big of deal, but potassium is.

Get Potassium
>>
>>36225268
is it only in one side? and any swolling after high repitetions? then it may be ganglion kyst.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.