[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /fit/'s opinion on smoking cigarettes but still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: Smoking-006.jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Smoking-006.jpg
17 KB, 460x276
What is /fit/'s opinion on smoking cigarettes but still trying to get athletic.

Does it impede gains drastically? can you work past the side-effects?

I smoked about 20 cigarettes a day when I first started working out, then I stopped going to the gym when I started working on construction sites, I'm in between jobs at the minute and I want to get big but I'm struggling to kick the habit

Any current or ex-smokers who can give a bit of insight?
>>
Any opinions on any recreational substances as well? least calorific alcoholic drinks/cocktails and how to work out the day after a heavy session etc. etc.

Don't want to give up life too much.
>>
>>36034308

Go see a doctor. Yeah you can work through it, but why put all that work in so you can die from the smoking 20 years earlier than you need to. A doctor will give you a plan that will actually work and you need to stick to it. Cigarettes aren't adding anything meaningful to your life: you've only convinced yourself of it due to your addiction.

You can consider the alcohol "empty calories" and leave it at that as long as you're not binging every other day. No point getting ripped if you're not going to turn up once in a while. If you drink incessantly, you should talk to your doctor about that too and they can help.
>>
>>36034331
Weed is amazing, especially if you ain't cutting. Get yourself a desktop vape so you can avoid the guaranteed pneumonia or bronchitis that will come from smoking anything.

Hard liquor combod with benzos is amazing. Just take a small amount of each.

Hydrocodone and oxycodone is fantastic, but may kill the appetite for 6+ hours.

I use everything I've stated. But only on the weekend, and never to a dangerous extent. Start small and know your own body's limit.
>>
>>36034452
>Hard liquor combod with benzos
>Hydrocodone and oxycodone

Ignore this anon, they're a pill-popping addict.

Seriously, who puts:
>But only on the weekend, and never to a dangerous extent.

Unless both of those are obviously untrue.
You can smoke and be /fit/ just think of how many athlete's of old used to tear through packs every day.

Really tho >>36034366 is right, it benefits you nothing and only feels normal through conditioning (think to how hard your body rejected that smoke the first times).
>>
File: 1454665913919.jpg (60 KB, 640x600) Image search: [Google]
1454665913919.jpg
60 KB, 640x600
>>36034308
>Any current or ex-smokers who can give a bit of insight?

I smoked +10 a day for 10 years, and haven't smoked in a month now.
One could argue I'm not out of the habit yet, but I feel 0 cravings recently.
For me it took a realization that I don't need to smoke to feel normal, and that it is the most retarded thing you can do to yourself never mind the money spent.
One thing that really helped me reach this conclusion was 3g of dried, ground psilocybe cubensis mixed in cocoa powder and water.

>pic related
It's you, being depended on the rolled up cancer jew, like a pleb.
>>
I quit smoking a year ago. Honestly, it's tough to stay athletic and smoke. Mostly because you are being counter productive mentally. It's like going to the gym and working hard for an hard, then going to mcdonalds after and destroying all that hard work instantly. You can look good and smoke but you actually wont be all that healthy. I work out to feel good about myself, and I love knowing that my body is in the best shape I can be in. That alone makes it not worth it. But the answer to your question is yes, but don't.
>>
>>36034514
Pills don't have calories, which is exactly what OP wants.

Try again
>>
>>36034642
...fair enuf
>>
>>36034308
I would quit for my health etc., too bad Japanese cartoons and motivational posters told me i should never quit, never give up. So i keep smocking, because i'm no quitter
>>
File: GettyImages-479183878-760x1140.jpg (193 KB, 760x1140) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-479183878-760x1140.jpg
193 KB, 760x1140
>being athletic
>smoking

Pick one and ONLY one.

It's like you don't wanna make it bruh.
Enjoy paying in order to slowly destroy your body and eventually die.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>36034574
I have to admit that leading up to a gym session I don't smoke at all, but when I leave the gym I get in the car and that first one really does it for me. after that its boredom mostly around the house.
>>
>>36034308
I've been there op. Honistly you're better off quitting. It's easier to breath which has a huge effect of your lifts. The only way you can quit is if you want to though which it can be hard to get into that mind set. First time I tried quitting was last year new years and it took me till halloween to actually stop. It's tough and you gotta be in the right mindset to quit but it is worth it.
>>
>>36034642
Does single malt whiskey or whiskey liqueurs?

I like a good whiskey when watching the football.
>>
>>36034574
Shrooms helped me stop smoking pot.
>>
>>36034308
you can smoke and be an athlete, but you will never be all you could be.
>>
>>36034697
baka desu senpai
>>
>>36034740
All alcohol has a heavy calorific content. Especially darker spirits such as Whisky. You're looking at about 100 calories per ounce. However, just like everything good in life, you can enjoy it, but be sensible and don't overindulge often.
>>
>>36034715
I can run 7 minute miles and not get winded. Smoking is terrible for your health but you can still be active.
>>
I smoke on average a pack a day and have been smoking since 14. So it's been about 10 years now.
I've never had a problem breathing or limiting my abilities being active.
Its a nasty addiction but one of the only constant pleasures I have in life.
>>
>>36035681
>I've never had a problem breathing or limiting my abilities being active.
Dude, there is no way even you believe that.
>>
vape tobacco if you want to do harm reduction.
Nicotine is more or less another caffiene if you remove the smoking part of it. Smoking does suppress appetite and its fall from prominence probably contributes to obesity.
>>
>>36034308
smoked for 8 years near 20 cigs a day.
would you know why i stopped smoking?
cause i was starting to be slow like a fatty in the running.
i felt like shit, i was good on the lifting, but a snail on the running.
so i quit smoking. first 2 weeks were hard, you don't know what to do while waiting the bus, after coffee, during boring conversation, during pause at work, then you just realize that a cig doesn't change how long will you wait the bus or when to have a break in the afternoon.
and after a couple of month you realize how much time/money/health you have wasted.
i used to spend 600+€/year for cigs, now i use that money for buying shit i love.
>>
>>36035744
Believe it. I've played ice hockey for 10 years. One of the most exhausting sports.
I have no health issues or breathing problems
>>
>>36034452
>hydros and oxys

I feel you bro but you better be cold water extracting those if you don't want that there Apap to fuck up your protein synthesis/liver in general
>>
I smoke weed and cigs and im ripped to shreds, fwiw

3xBW deads, 2.5bw squat, 1.5bw bench and all dat shit

Only thing is hard time gaining weight, been around 170@ 5'11" for a while now
>>
>>36036398
Please, this guy is clearly a basic-ass "It's not a drug if I get it through prescription", junky child following in his junky parents footsteps, opiate-addicted loser.
>>
>>36036398
I only take two max (because I drink on them which already strains the liver).

CWE are great for a 35ng hydro fix without any added benzos or hooch, though.

Also, lol at all these addict claims. Top keks
>>
I was pack-a-day for 8 years. Just in love with the fucking things.

Woke up on a Sunday morning and just said to myself "you know what, I'm just not gonna have one this morning." Then came the afternoon, then evening, then I was going to bed for the first time in almost a decade without having any smokes whatsoever.

That was three weeks ago and I havent looked back. I can tell you I've never felt better. It's like noob gains all over again and I can do twice the cardio with half the effort. That's only three weeks.

Quitting is fucking easy you just have to be ready. Make a game out of of it.
>>
>smoking
>being athletic
pick one
>>
File: 1438639473997.jpg (237 KB, 450x615) Image search: [Google]
1438639473997.jpg
237 KB, 450x615
Don't belive shills ITT, you shouldn't drop smoking unless you don't want to become as athletic as possible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001541/
>>
>>36036740
its all placebo pal sorry to break it for you
>>
File: 1454991257462.jpg (29 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1454991257462.jpg
29 KB, 500x363
>addiction
>existing
>>
>>36037400
That whole article is distilled bullshit. It's suggesting that making breathing less efficient will improve performance, and that pro athletes need appetite suppressants and not appetite enhancers.

Endurance athletes like swimmers eat two to three times as much as a normal relatively healthy human being.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was written by literal shills.
>>
>>36036704
Try to play it cool with the alcohol + benzo combo, that shit can kill you if you don't watch out. All those celebrities whose hearts just up and stop in their sleep and kill them are usually mixing alcohol with benzodiazepines.

Source: I used to drink heavily while taking klonepin; got off easy because my doctor started to suspect what was up.
>>
>Wanting Hypertension
>Wanting kidney failure
>Wanting Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
>Wanting many associated cancers
Yeah, keep smoking.
>>
>>36034308
started smoking at 14. quit 4 years ago after 8 years smoking. best decision i've ever made. you don't realize how much easier it is to breathe when you quit
>>
>>36035967
you've been smoking so long you wouldn't know what its like for your lungs to function how they should. also its impossible for you to not have health problems after smoking a pack a day, you may not feel it or notice it (most smokers dont) but your body (especially your lungs, and arteries which harden) have most definitely been damaged.

what can you expect though when you breathe poison every single day. good luck with your delusion.
>>
>>36035284
Could probably do it in less than 7 if you didn't smoke you dingus.
>>
>>36034331
I still smoke, maybe 6-7 a day

As for recreational substances i have a rest day on thursdays and i do cold water codeine extractions on the day, usually around 150mg, just chill

Would smoke weed but i get drug tested at work so
>>
>>36034308
Goddamn I miss cigarettes. It's the only cool thing I've ever done. If it weren't for fucking obama-care I'd get back to it. I'd suggest you slow up, maybe 4-5 a day, but don't quit. Non-smokers are all pussy bitches, you just don't know it until you are a smoker.
>>
>>36039269
same with drinking, anyone who doesn't drink on a daily basis is a puss bitch. Only cool thing I ever did too
>>
>>36035284
Come back in 20 years and tell us about how good you are regardless of smoking
>>
For a while i was able to smoke half pack a day and still hit 21 minute 5ks. After a few months it impacted my endurance so i quit. Good decision. I still enjoy the occasional cigarette.
>>
>>36039296

I wish I could say that was to be cool. It's just so i won't kill myself.
>>
>>36037585
It's satire, intended to mock review articles that cherry pick the literature to reach the author's preconceived hypothesis.
>>
>>36039296
This is actually true
>>
I heard like 2/3rds of Olympic athletes smoke.
>>
Only okay when you're drunk*

*only if you don't get drunk that often
>>
>>36039331
>>36040236
guess I wasn't sarcastic enough.

I don't know why but I look at people who smoke the same way I see fat people. It's something they are addicted to and know is bad for them. And it's even worse because everyone knows smoking is bad, while eating lots and stopping exercise can happen slowly over years which definitely isn't the case for smoking.

Drugs and drinking on the other hand makes sense to me because you at least get high or intoxicated. But smoking just seems like getting addicted to poison.

That being said I have no problem with cigars because enjoying a good cigar is a hobby, not an addiction.
>>
>>36040377
I guess what I'm saying is: How can you look at someone smoking, knowing full well it causes cancer, heart problems and reduces physical ability as well as knowing it's extremely addictive and still do it enough to get addicted.

When I see someone younger than 30 smoking it blows my mind how they came to that decision.
>>
>>36034308

For all the dudes who are worried about getting cancer from smoking read on for a moment.

I spent a good chunk of time when I switched from smoking out of a pipe to rolling my own exactly what the deal was with cancer and tobacco. Yes, of course tobacco can lead cancer but the most dangerous carcinogens in cigarettes are 'additives'.

The most dangerous chemical found in the majority of commercial cigarettes is glyophosate. Gylophosate is the go to herbicide in all agricultural endeavors - Round Up. Any crop treated with glyophosates will absorb the chemical into their leaves/fruit/meat. Now, when eaten - while still carcinogenic - it can be passed through the body and excreted as waste or filtered out by the kidneys. However, smoking glyophosates deposits the heated chemical directly into lung tissue. Combined with the decrease in lung efficiency caused by tar build up the lungs are unable to remove this cancerous material.

If you smoke, I suggest you find an organic source for you tobacco - or grow your own.

>>36034308

I go through about an ounce of tobacco a week (roughly 1.5 packs). My cardio game is in the shitter, but my lifts are fine.
>>
>>36034308

>wrecking your lungs
>trying to get athletic

Sounds pretty retarded to me.
>>
>>36040495

Guess the family that rolled their own only pretended to die.
>>
>>36034574
Yeah them mushrooms really make you reconsider your habits, it was about 3g for me and a difficult time with only cigarettes to console me, woke up the next day and now don't smoke unless I'm on vacation. Canadian smokes are awful
>>
>>36035284
Yeah but I don't smoke and can run 5 minute miles
>>
Why not vaping? You get all the benefits from nicotine (higher metabolism, suppressed appetite, higher concentration because of released dopamine) and also a great taste, which can help you in a cut if you still want to taste choclate for example - minus all the carcinogenis.
>>
File: 1455220171726.gif (2 MB, 448x352) Image search: [Google]
1455220171726.gif
2 MB, 448x352
>>36040495
The FDA regulates cigarette production in the states at least. They only things allowed in them are tobacco and menthol now.

All the shit you read about there being arsenic and shit in them is trace amounts from the wrapper/packaging and wouldn't be worst for you than standing by a campfire you started with newspaper or eating an apple without washing the pesticide off of it. The same shit shows up in the snickers bar you fatfucks ate between brunch and lunch.

The problem is that you don't stand by a campfire for an hour or two every day, and you don't eat 20 unwashed apples every day.

That's it. Use your google-fu and common sense guys.
>>
>>36040495
oh phew your lifts are fine i was getting worried for a second.

fucking moron.

you admit your lung capacity is garbage but hey as long as i can still lift heavy objects we all good.

how are people this fucking stupid?
>>
>>36034308

Nicotine is hard as fuck to quit, harder than most other famously addictive drugs. Malcolm X in his autobiography claimed it was easier to give up heroin in prison than to quit the smokes.

The smartest way is probably to transition to a good quality e-cig, and over the course of a few months gradually lower the strength of the juice til you're vaping almost nicotine free. Then you can make a break for it. I made a lot of abortive attempts to quit smoking before e-cigs were a thing and i've been nicotine free for about a year now.

I took up jogging as a hobby just as I quit, it's good to have some new distraction.
>>
>>36034308
>Any current or ex-smokers who can give a bit of insight?
Never smoked more than a couple of cigarettes a day, but I still feel magnitudes better without it. The feeling of not needing to impulsively do something while others succumb is great. The feeling of independence and the increased lung capacity are worth it alone, not to mention slowing the irreversible erosion of your health.
>>
If I didn't have the sweet relief of smoking in my day, I'd fucking mangle someone. Smoke up to 4 cigs a day.

Hope I get my shit in order and get happy in order to not need tobacco anymore.
>>
>>36034308
?Whats my opinion on smoking cigs?

It causes cancer
it's not cool to do, nobody thinks youre cool smoking
It's an addiction. A crutch that you use
quit being a pussy and just stop smoking. I did, you can to. Quit trying to kick the habit and kick the habit. Don't compete with yourself on this issue. It's either an unbreakable rule or it's not.
>>
>>36039263
I don't get the rationale behind testing for weed, except if your job involves serious responsibilities, like operating heavy machinery, etc. Then again, if that was the case, they should also test for alcohol and the likes. It's fucking mental to me that they do urine tests for office jobs in the US, never heard of anything like this anywhere else...
>>
Smoke about 3-5 a day
Honestly, I don't feel I've gotten any worse since I started
But I'd probably be better if I stopped, so there's that
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.