[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw drinking 10+ alcoholic drinks a day have any of you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: beer.jpg (312 KB, 2048x1418) Image search: [Google]
beer.jpg
312 KB, 2048x1418
>tfw drinking 10+ alcoholic drinks a day

have any of you guys managed to quit drinking? It's hard to lose any weight while getting drunk everyday
>>
I haven't been able to

Its really holding me back

Yesterday I had about 12 beers and Im currently on my 5th
>>
>>37908486
Dank bro
>>
if you can't quit, switch to weed. At least then, you won't loose your gains if you'll still work out.
>>
>>37908414
You have to go cold turkey (no alcohol in your home at all) and get your groceries where they don't sell alcohol (i.e.: fruit in the fruit store, meat in the butcher shop...). That's the only thing that helped me. AA it's also a big big help, but you have to acknowledge that you have a problem and be very open with it.
>>
>>37908496
no its a real problem, I passed the "you know how much I drank last night bro" phase years ago

I quit for 2 weeks cold turkey but then straight back into blackout every 2nd day. That was a month ago

>>37908548
Good ideas, especially regarding the groceries where they dont sell alcohol thing. Also how is AA? Ive thought about it but it seems like its full of older people? Im 25
>>
>>37908561
I started in AA with 28, so there you go.
>>
>>37908561
OP here and I'm 25 as well, I haven't made it more than a week without getting drunk since I was 19 (canadafag)

I started drinking regularly when I was 17 but when I could legally buy it I began drinking every single day and it became a real problem
>>
>>37908565
fair enough. and were you the youngest?

>>37908610
yeah Im aussie, can buy at 18 here but I was only a social drinker til 20
>>
>>37908548

Fruit store? Literally what?
>>
>>37908414
I drank 6 or more pints every day or 10 or more ounces of rum every day for quite a while, but I think it was mostly out of habit because I stopped without too much difficulty (I had some physical withdrawal) as soon as I moved to a new city.
>>
>>37908414
Stopped drinking 2 years ago, solely for my health. Fortunately I don't miss it. I do get weird responses from time to time when offered a beer.
>>
I find it hard to go more than a day without getting drunk. It's addictive as fuck
>>
>>37908692
Stop being a degenerate.
No drugs no cigarettes no alcohol
>>
>>37908639
farmers market or something
>>
>>37908706
I actually quit smoking 47 days ago
>>
>>37908414
just cut the amount you drink a little every day
>>
>>37908845
That's the hard part. When I have one it gets me into drinking mode and I end up drinking until I'm wasted
>>
>>37908414
a couple years ago i got up to 200 lbs (5'11" master race) mostly from drinking 6+ drinks every night. i cut back to drinking 2-3 drinks only a couple times a week and started getting /fit/. lost 20 lbs and was getting into the best shape of my life. then my son was born. eight months later, i'm back to drinking almost every night just so that i can sleep and i have probably lifted 10 times total since he was born. stepped on the scale this morning: 205 lbs. someone please help me.
>>
>>37908862
Living the dream
>>
>>37908862

Start doing shots instead, less calories

Eventually with enough shots the thought of drinking them will make you throw up

Then you quit
>>
>>37911254
Do shots of vodka instead
>>
>>37908523
weed does inhibit test and increase estrogen though...would really appreciate it if anyone has additional info on this actually
>>
>>3791125 not OP but I'm about to try the few nights a week thing. Like Friday and Saturday nights and that's it.
>>
yeah. i drank for a good 2-3 years of going out 3-4 nights a week and getting shitfaced.

this would've continued until i had a couple wake up calls in my life.
>>
File: 1465256545130.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1465256545130.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
>>37908414
Ive been cutting back on drinking and trying to drink liquor instead since its lighter and faster. Its not impossible to lose weight while drinking just alot harder. Id probably hit my goal by now if i wouldnt have been drinking so much.
>>
File: image.png (200 KB, 356x256) Image search: [Google]
image.png
200 KB, 356x256
>>37908414
What are you talking about? Fitness is clearly not the issue here. Sounds like you have genuine problem with a drug. Get your life sorted before thinking about lifting or anything like that, otherwise you're just fucked from the beginning
>>
>>37908523
This is what I'm planning on doing. I realize that I can't live without some mind altering vice to make life more tolerable, so I'm starting weed. Yeah its not perfect but it has no calories and there's no risk of a debilitating hangover so it's leagues better for weak fags like me. My "medical" recommendation is in the mail but until then I've been trying to taper down my drinking. I only had six beers last night, gonna shoot for five tonight.
>>
>>37908414
Just stop drinking stupid

>it's not that easy
Yes it is, stop being a pussy
>>
>>37914278
In fact, I just checked the mail and my letter is here. Gonna walk to the dispensary and see if I can go without any booze tonight.
>>
you can do it anon
>>
>>37913791
No it doesn't but beer with high hops content actually does.
>>
File: 1461339654496.png (159 KB, 540x611) Image search: [Google]
1461339654496.png
159 KB, 540x611
In my experience you have to find a reason to quit. I was eventually forced into quitting due to legal and relationship issues which gave me no real choice. That was about 3 months ago now and I have only relapsed twice.

The problem is, as soon as my circumstances change (i.e. when I'm single) I know I will go straight back to drinking. At that point I'll have to find another reason to quit.
>>
>>37908414
I was at 6+ a day for a while then quit about a year ago. Cold turkey. The first month was the hardest. I've drank exactly 4 times since I quit... still get the occasional craving but I've lost 15 pounds and am less depressed.

I smoke weed off and on. Weed makes me lazier for sure but it's a hell of a lot better than alcohol.

If you really can't quit on your own, go to AA man.

>tfw actually reading good advice on 4chan
>>
medfag here, you fellas really should taper off. alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. and to all the fags out there recommending switching to liquor are idiots.
>>
>>37915114
All the seizures from DTs will make you jacked tho
>>
File: goodMornings.png (252 KB, 450x249) Image search: [Google]
goodMornings.png
252 KB, 450x249
Drinking is the only thing that makes me feel happy.

I've cut down to just weekends

Still feels bad man
>>
I stopped drinking but it has only made me hate my life. Atleast when I could go out to a bar get smashed blow lines of coke and dance on whores i at least had something to look forward to that got me through the week.
>>
>>37908729
Congrats!
>>
I went up to 6+ drinks a day and am down to 2 drinks a day. Tomorrow I will not drink anything thanks to this thread.
>>
File: 1442021747235651.jpg (33 KB, 599x585) Image search: [Google]
1442021747235651.jpg
33 KB, 599x585
>tfw gf called me out on how much I had been drinking
>stop drinking
>lose 10 lbs
>stop plateauing on strength gains
FeelsGoodMan.
>>
File: 1441291886367.png (32 KB, 337x338) Image search: [Google]
1441291886367.png
32 KB, 337x338
>shoulder injury
>work at a liquor store
>haven't had free time to go get my shoulder checked by a doctor
>tfw sabotaging myself getting drunk every night wishing I could just go to the gym
I just know I'm gonna fuck up all of my gains and backslide to square one as a weak fat and just the thought of that makes me sad and I don't know what to do
>>
>>37911254
you can only help yourself breh and you know it
>>
>>37915114
>medfag here
With a post like that, you mean you're a recent high school graduate who just declared a Biology major for the Fall, no doubt.
>>
>>37908561
>Also how is AA?
If you live in a bigger city, they may have young people's meetings, but you're not going to hang out; you're going to stop drinking.
>>
>>37913791
beer is very estrogenic
>>
>>37908845
Some people cannot control themselves once they've had the first drink. Solution: don't take it. One day at a time.
>>
>>37915114
I think you meant that statement for someone drinking well over 10 drinks/day.
>>
>>37913791

c'mon, you have to smoke insane amounts to make a noticeable effect
>>
>>37915663
Former heroin addict here.

If you need AA (I went for 6 months), I can pretty much guarantee that youre extremely weak-minded. You don't need to mysticize alcoholism or drug addiction to understand your own tendencies and put one foot in front of the other to figure out how to make sobriety work.

This is coming from someone who still goes out drinking about twice a month, though I never liked alcohol (honestly can't understand how people get addicted to it, it's by far the worst feeling drug you can do).
>>
>>37915596

Speaking from experience here: stop drinking if only to give your shoulder a better chance to heal. Assuming you injured aerobic tissue, drinking reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood, and makes it harder for things to heal.

If it's anaerobic, then that won't help, but until you get it looked at you need to assume that not drinking can help it heal. that's your reason to quit right there.

>>37911254

get earplugs and a fan, and you'll sleep through anything.

Also, as an aside, cutting back on drinking in any capcity by switching from beer to hard liquor is the worst advice ever. if anything, stop drinking anything over 5%. The alcohol is worse than the other stuff (carbs, mostly) and unless you have enough self control that you aren't going to be ITC in the first place, you are just going to consume more alcohol to make up for the loss of volume caused by switching from beer to liquor.
>>
>>37915806
There are many paths to sobriety. You just have to take them.
>>
>>37915857
Thats exactly my point. But AA just left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like a cult. It's all gloom and doom unless you do EXACTLY as they say.

Horseshit, in my opinion.
>>
>>37915845
it's one of those situations where I know pretty much exactly what I need to do to get my problem solved, but with the lack of gym time to direct myself into, I'm unhappy and I'm dropping back into old habits and half deliberately not stopping myself.
It's pretty much exactly what I was doing last year when I basically knew I was being a lazy shit and not doing all I could to to get a better job and apply myself. Now in absence of my constructive hobby, a destructive hobby has filled the vacuum. I'm not happy with me right now.
>>
an old employer got me drinking a lot, I got out of it when I realized I was being a fucking idiot tho
>>
I started drinking 0 calorie bubbly mineral water (slight taste from vitamins no evil aspertame) Zevia it's called. Because I get the urge while im gaming.
Stay busy. I can't drink and Pokemon go at the same time... except at that brewery nearby but at least i walk a mile each way to get there.
ACT NOW.
Quitting drinking for me has been the same as my starting lifting, or starting to eat right. DO IT NOW, no oh just one beer, or I'll just have the fries for lunch instead of a salad, but only today.
NOW there is no tomorrow.
>>
>>37908845
I've been doing this. I've managed to get down to like 3 beer today. But I had one way earlier today, then made myself wait, then had another one. Now settling down at home and I'm gonna want another one after this. I think what I mean is I've forced myself to stop after 3 in one sitting idk.
I found drinking slower makes the drunk feeling take forever to come around and I don't really want more after that.
>>
>>37915019
The love of my life broke up with me due to erratic behavior (mostly put on by drinking)
I've been getting /fit/ since then, but cutting down on drinking seems useless now that he's gone anyways, but I'm forcing myself to cut down anyways cause we're still friends and I'm praying to God every night that one magic day he takes me back.
>he's fat and watches anime
>started at 147 down yesterday to 128. wtf is wrong with me, I think he's just getting fatter
>>
>>37915479
this. My life is fucking boring now and I hate it.
>>
>>37916723
Let go b-word.

Start listening to some faggy self empowering Beyonce songs and find yourself a real man. One who isn't fat but watches anime.
>>
You really just have to commit to the idea of quitting FOR YOURSELF. Some people cannot do this, and AA works wonders for them. Some people are capable, but alcohol fucks with you. My shrink's solution for me was elegantly simple: no back doors (insert gay pun here), meaning that you don't give yourself any slack or excuses to drink. The urge will come and it will pass. And if you drink for stress relief or just hate your life in general, try some antidepressants. I don't have insurance, but my meds only cost me $17/month. And that's a hell of a lot less than I was spending on booze. Hope any of this helps. After you quit, the immediate fitgains help to reinforce your will to stay sober and healthy. And as the medfag already stated, if you're drinking copious amounts every day, you should try to taper down. At huge amounts or over long periods of time, the addiction has to be treated similar to a heroin addiction. 2p
>>
I quit drinking at one point. It seemed that when I drank I ate less, so I didn't really lose weight or make gains much until I got my portions in check.
>>
>>37916789
beer is a food
>>
>>37908414
Do lsd
>>
>>37916744
It's weird, but I think I'm afraid of doing that. I trick myself to that point then I feel like I'm accepting some kind of defeat. I'm to the point where I'm also looking for a better paying job. Just getting everything in order just to show him up.
Or that maybe doing all this is for nothing and I should just go to my old ways but that seems like a horrible idea.
>>
>>37916752
I gotta listen to that first part.
Each hungover morning I say, No More drinking ever what a retard I am.
Then by 9 a.m. at work I say, ok no drinking for a month
10 it's no drinking for a week
Ok just one beer tonight
2 won't kill me, my friends want to go out and I'll look like a retard if I just get water or tea.
then after we go out and have 2 I get home and it's off to the races.
Even when I can stay dry like tonight, after about 3 days the URGE hits. And I can say no and drive past the store. And I can say no and decline to go out with friends, but then I'm sitting home. Alone. And the URGE doesn't come once and you can do something to scratch it (like I do with food I just cram myself so full of spinach and chicken that I don't even want to look at that doughnut) but there is no spinache for alcohol.
Pretty afraid to take an anti depressant, too much downside from a psychotropic. What are you on? What has been your experience?
>>
File: 1464972286420-1.jpg (15 KB, 214x200) Image search: [Google]
1464972286420-1.jpg
15 KB, 214x200
I literally cannot stop drinking because I don't know how else to meet women.
Why can't there be pot bars in Texas?
I don't even like drinking really, but women I want to fuck look at me weird when I tried going out AND NOT drinking.
I just..
>>
>>37916814
Do shit to better you and good things will come. Dumb bullshit will come too but you have to learn to deal with it and focus on bettering yourself. If you choose to do something you don't want to do you are dooming yourself to a toxic relationship and it will be ten times harder the next time you try to quit that shit. There are tons of people who stick themselves around toxic people and do everything they can to convince others that they're doing "good" but they're just fucking idiots. Fuck toxic people.

If you're really a grill keep hitting the gym.

If you're a dude kys faggot.
>>
>>37916830
>there is no spinache for alcohol.

Try weed
>>
>>37916861
Thanks. Got gym already planned tomorrow after work. If nothing else tomorrow is upper body day. So I guess I have that to look forward too.
Also how do some of yall drink this much and still perform well in the gym? Whenever I get into a drinking binge (like at a party last weekend) I feel like shit the next day and lifting would be almost a waste. desu that's one of the things that motivates me to drink less...or at least like I said maybe 2 or 3 a night while I'm relaxing. But not like 10
>>
>>37916920
Those who claim to drink a lot and hit the gym are guaranteed fat fucks. I was a fat fuck who could hit the gym and drink afterwards but strong and fat is fucking gay.

Or

They're lying on the internet. Who would do such a thing?
>>
File: 1407299715223.jpg (184 KB, 884x920) Image search: [Google]
1407299715223.jpg
184 KB, 884x920
>>37908414

I was 6 pack a night weeknights and half a case a night on weekends. I just quit cold turkey a 1.5 years ago.

Had my first sip of beer a couple weeks ago and didn't have any cravings to drink since. I'm too damn busy to start drinking again.

Having no friends also helps with quitting since you no longer have the social aspect of it. Since you're on /fit/ you probably don't have any friends to worry about.
>>
>>37916914
When I'm hungover I'm at least mad enough to hit the gym.
When i'm high I don't do anything at all
Except get MAD fucking paranoid. Like outrageously so. Sometimes its ok and i get a good fun high and have the time of my life.
But sometimes I get too high and get paranoid, and get disconnect, and I'm pretty sure I'm sitting there right near the doorway to actual insanity... and it almost looks a tad inviting.
So no thanks to that one. One tiny amount once a year or so in brownie form is all I like
>>
reading this thread after a few drinks has convinced me to become an alcoholic. whoops i guess. only thing that stops my brain from ruining my life
>>
>>37916959
Your hangovers are definitely different from mine, I just wish for a swift death.

What strain of weed are you smoking? Indica makes me a fat lazy basted but sativa actually makes me want to do stuff. But if the paranoia is that bad then maybe it's not even worth experimenting. I've just found it helps blunt my desire to drink when I smoke instead.
>>
going through the same shit here. i usually drink about 5 16oz beers and about 5 shots of whisky a night.

need more success stories to motivate me more.

well get through this
>>
>>37917024
I've heard them described as body high and head high, but forget which is which. When my friend who provides picks up he gets a bag of half each. I have the theory that body = feels good man, everything is right in the world while mind = paraniod, but wouldn't really trust any results without a double blind case study with at least 5 instances of each type.
>>
>>37917032
You're never going to make it.

kys faggot
>>
Would just drinking whiskey every weekend fuck up gains if you stay well enough hydrated? I usually drink about a 5th and a half a weekend, tend to stay away from beer.
>>
I'm currently trying to quit due to the cognitive effects that 12+ drinks a day is starting to have on me. Unfortunately i tend to relapse on day 3 or 4. The main problem is when im sober i feel nothing. No happiness, no sadness, just some bland neutral state which quickly becomes unbearable. So then i get drunk, figuring i'd rather suffer the health consequences than to live like a zombie in that anhedonic state. I regret it every time, but always on day 3 or 4 of abstinence it becomes unbearable again, and the cycle continues.
>>
My mom was an alcoholic. I couldn't tolerate her shit behaviour, thus I never developed a drinking problem. Sure, this led to no socializing, but most of the hicks around here aren't worth my time.
>>
>>37917159
I'm gonna assume that your whiskey is 80proof.
about 65cal/30ml puts 750ml at about 1625cal
if you don't include friday in your weekend, that's 812 cal from alcohol. if you do includ friday, it's 500something calories
it's probably fucking up your gains slightly to moderately. alcohol messes with muscle building. You can probably still make some gains while doing so, but less than you could if you weren't drinking so much whiskey
>>
I bet 95% of people here doesn't even lift.

>hurr i feel bored when im not drunk :(

Lift.
>>
>>37916940

You can be an hardcore alcoholic and still be a skelly. My grandfather was.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.