[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 25
File: serveimage.jpg (103 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
103 KB, 1600x1067
So Im new to /fit and did not see any thread about running. So i thought i try to start a thread about it and maybe get some help on the way as well and we could help each other.
with goals and technic perhaps?
And do please tell about your experience with running.

So i been running for a year now i i have just hard to get much faster in a distance. It really irritates me and i want to me more competitive.
I runned just for 2 hours ago. I do 10km in around 47 min with hills and and elevation. so not plain ground at all, but still im not happy when i read that pro's can click of marathon in 2 hours. i want to take it to the next level but don't know the approach.
I run 2-3 times per week. 10km every time.
>>
>>37876144
cardio kills gains
>>
>>37876144
OP, have you tried to run for longer distances but at slower paces? perhaps warm up with a slow pace for the first mile and increase as you garner distance. you should google distance training as a 10k is approx. 6 miles. a half marathon is 13.1mi and a full marathon is 26.2 mi. try to reach 10mi during one of your sessions. start slow and increase. try to hold out as long as you can on the highest comfortable pace. feel free to slow down pace when you feel tired. feel free to power walk as well. just suggestions....
>>
>>37876154
If you are talking about pure muscle building then yes it absolutely does.
However I'm not really into building muscles as i don't see that lead me into happiness. Love my body as it is now.
Each to their own i guess.
Wish you best of luck thou.
>>
>>37876283
I'm having the same problem, I'm an ex-fatty, now a skinnyfat.

Currently 170lb 5'10, and I cant even run 1 mile without walking/stopping.

I think im going too fast.
>>
>>37876283
The longest i have tried running is 1,5km (9mil).
the problem with the lower pase is that my head forget it after just 5 min and start to wear out my body since i can run much faster but my body wont let me.. Also i have noticed i have pain in random places in the body after 4mil. Its really frustrating.
But you are really on to something with building my distance up with slower pace, i just need to calm my head and body down so i don't outrun my self so to speak..
Thanks for the input.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Last running thread was archived and could not reply to an anon's questions.

He had asked me how to help his half brother that seemed to resemble my current challenge...

I'm 24y/male/240 lbs.
I've been running on and off. I have yet to find the time to integrate my work out routine in with school and work but I'm hoping I can do it this fall semester.
I've been running on a treadmill and occasionally on concrete. my goal is to lose weight and reach 180 lbs.

I try to run 5 times a week. i run for time. i try to do 45 mins each running session. usually 10:30/mi some times 11:00/mi if I am tired. I try to stay consistent and also have some sort of health conscious diet. Drink water and plenty of it. and I count my calories.
so just tell your half brother to stay consistent and to go at his own pace. he has to find the right pace where he can gain miles and still continue to push.

any other runners out there that can also give some tips on running. any good shoes to recommend?
>>
>>37876362
Yeah its really hard to just control yourself when you know you can run much faster.

I have always have as a rule since i started that i rather try to run super slow then stop.
One thing that helped me was buying a pulse clock and i forced my self to slow down when i got over 175bpm. Nowadays it dont work to well with the clock since i get lazy with it also as you maybe can imagine.

So if you could afford one i go for it, And also the nr one thing i have learn from running is breath control. Once i really learned to breath right things got much better.
Try it out if you haven't.
Just keep on working.
>>
>>37876406
9 miles is 15km, did you mean that or actually 1 and a half km?
what I did to get my distance up was what anon suggested, I started running the same distance every run starting from a speed I didnt feel tired at the end, then started going faster and faster and then I increased distance by a couple of Kms after a few weeks and started the whole speed thing again
>>
Every running thread on here seems to be about running faster every time. Do you get PR's every time you put weight on the bar? You have to earn these things. Take a step back and slow your running down for a while. Increase your distance slowly then pick a time when you want to have a crack at breaking your PR.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>37876362
how much did you weight before?
>>37876406
yes, at first I started with only being able to run 2miles but i noticed I was going too fast for my self and so I slowed the pace down and gradually I built up ENDURANCE. running to me is a mental game.

just keep it up, start slow and build it up. if you want to go for longer slow down again and built up again.

also I am this anon...>>37876415
>>
I run 3 times a week atm. Can I reduce bf and gain muscle if I start going to the gym 3 times a week on the SS/SL routine.
>>
>>37876635
Make sure you are eating less than TDEE, and eating a ton of protein
>>
>>37876485
sorry for confusing you. I just tried to convert it for those that do not count in km. I meant 15km.
yeah to increase slowly seems best i have notice, i have just stuck and my 10km since 1 lap is 10km, i could however try to runt 1/4 extra then run back again. that way i would get more distance. Because now i only run 10km..
Self discipline is they key here i know for sure..

>>37876486
Yeah that can be the case i guess, after all its always fun to see results happen. But i know what you mean with slow progress and a steady foundation is the best for a longer go at it.

>>37876510
Good with you can run for 5 times peer week. my body would give up with that often.

And as you said, its such a mental game with running, really need to restrain yourself to make it for the longer run.
Thanks for the input. i guess i will go for some slow build up again to achieve longer distance.
>>
>>37876658
Thanks but can you explain why I shouldn't eat at my TDEE? wouldn't that allow me to gain more muscle?
>>
>>37876715
yea but you would also not lose as much fat.

burn fat with a calorie deficit, and gain muscle from recovery with a high protein diet.
>>
>>37876144
>Run 400m sprints are the best cardio without killing off gains
>run a slow lap to get a feel of how you need to pace yourself
>go to your local track field if you can't guesstimate on where you run
>time yourself with a stop watch
>set a standard for yourself 400m aim for below 50 seconds
>1 first 100m strong start and fast , second lap long strides and try to maintain speed, third slow down a little, fourth as fast as you can to the finish.
>>
>>37876760
Are you fucking serious mate? Sub 50 seconds for 400m reps? If you want crippling injuries within a week then this is the plan for you. Please keep your shitty advice to yourself.
>>
>>37876780
your not doing it for reps you do 1 lap as fast as you can or 2 depending on the day it isn't that unrealistic
>>
>>37876853
So your advice for someone currently running 10kms at a time is to go and do 1-2 400m sprints? You seriously have no idea and again I ask you to stop giving your shitty advice to people asking legitimate questions for improvement.
>>
>>37876909
>implying 400m doesn't help improve your 10k
>>
>>37877227
Implying going from 10km runs to 400m sprints won't tear your muscles on the first session. You are seriously dumb and I hope no one ever comes to you for advice. EVER. Wanna know how to improve your long distance runs? By running distance. Kys
>>
>>37877297
you also need speed endurance in your 10k runs too you probably never ran in your entire life your not gonna break anything unless you can't pace for shit
>>
>>37876415
youre not in colordo are you/?
>>
Run with someone fast.

I hit a roof at around 45 minutes for a 10k. I started training with a friend of mine who was a 32 minute guy and he dragged me out to 41 minutes.
>>
>>37877227
>>37877348
400m intervals might help but just blasting one or two laps then calling it a day won't do anything other than injure you.
>>
>>37877348
You are literally too stupid to insult man. You told a guy who runs 47mins for 10km to go find a track and run sub 50second 400's. Every time you speak you get dumber.
As for me and running, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. But know I've done enough and at a high enough level that I know the advice you hand out to amateurs is absolute and total bullshit.
>>
>>37877357
no I'm out in San Diego, CA
>>
>I run 2-3 times per week. 10km every time.
So no intervals? No tempo runs? No increased distance? No hill sprints? These things all are shown to increase your speed. Interval and tempo runs teach your body to be more efficient with oxygen. Hill sprints increase your power and cadience. Further distance builds endurance so you can go further with the same amount of energy. There's a reason why even marathoners do track work with 400's and 800's.
>>
What should I wear while running?
Normal T-shirts?
Hoodie?
Vest?
>>
>>37876289
Quit being so fuckin reasonable and pleasant to deal with.
>>37876154
Also, there is tenuous evidence at best to support cardio 'killing gains', most studies find that cardio several hours (perhaps every other day) after weight lifting has no effect on 'dem sick gainz mang' and the benefit to cardiovascular health is so great its irresponsible not to do some sort of cardio when you're not lifting. This whole cardio is bad meme is going to hurt people.
>>
File: salazar and chapa.jpg (82 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
salazar and chapa.jpg
82 KB, 400x366
>>37876144
>i want to take it to the next level but don't know the approach.
>I run 2-3 times per week. 10km every time.

Read "Jack Daniels Running Formula", or if you want to go old school, anything by Arthur Lydiard.

TL:DR
>run more
>more volume, more often
>run a very long time once per week (25% of weekly mileage, upwards of 2 hours)
>run hills
>stay on soft stuff
>do striders
>when you feel good, run hard
>daily runs should be conversational paced
>race occasionally
>incorporate speed work (reps with limited rest) after you have a solid aerobic base (20-100 miles per week, depending on lots of shit).

Time to do some reading.

OR just get out and run. Every day, or 6 days per week religiously.
>>
I do SL 5x5 MWF, if I run for 30 minutes, currently getting a little over 3 miles, the other 4 days is that too much? I'm trying to cut 10-15lbs.
>>
>>37878161
wicking t-shirt and running shorts
>>
>>37876144
Try out some of the audio lessons in the link below, they will help improve your technique

https://www.soundcloud.com/feldenkrais-by-the-feldenbear/sets/atm-eng-f
>>
File: tempo 8.jpg (179 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
tempo 8.jpg
179 KB, 1067x800
what running shoes do you guys use? I'm thinking of getting a new pair (pic). currently using the 2013 nike free flex..
>>
>>37878561
brooookkkkksssssss

don't buy running shoes made by generic sports companies- buy running shoes for running
>>
>>37878597
>don't buy running shoes made by generic sports companies

Generic sports companies have some of the best running shoes.

The trouble is that they have so many models of shoe, that it is easy to buy something non-running-specific.

All major sports companies have "technical running shoes". Nike, Asics, New Balance, Brooks, and Adidas are the best companies that have large selections of good running shoes.
>>
Guys I was able to run 3/4s a mile non stop this week. It's the first time I've done so in more than 6 years. I'm still having a hard time figuring out where my feet are supposed to land when I run though.
>>
File: vibram-five-fingers-kso.jpg (42 KB, 430x238) Image search: [Google]
vibram-five-fingers-kso.jpg
42 KB, 430x238
>>37878561
i just ordered these meme shoes since i switched to forefoot running.

also enjoyed the fuck out of barefoot walking so i cant wait to get those in my feet
>>
>>37878597
I love my Brooks shoes. First run in them was majestic.
>>
Ultra running fag here. Ive punished a lot of different brands and I have to say brooks handle it the best. Make sure you get what's best for your feet though.
>>
What is a good mile speed
>currently run about a 7:30 min mile
>started off at 10 min
>>
>>37879382
For 1 stand alone mile or a consistent pace? Over how long? Very open ended question man.
>>
finished 3rd week of c25k, tested my 1 mile on a track today. Got 8:18, im 5'10 160 19% bf 19 years old. I remember in high school gym i got a 13 min mile, i was 175 back then.

And who here has asthma? how do you deal with it? recently been using my inhaler before working out.
>>
been feeling demotivated as fuck recently because i haven't been running as well as i'd like to for the past month.

but thankfully my lack of progress probably has something to do with the unbearable 90+ degree heat i've been dealing with this summer. finally got two cool days in a row (68 degrees) today and yesterday. crushed a quick 2x2mile track workout on saturday, then this afternoon with no recovery from yesterday's workout i crushed this awesome 14 miler. bout to enter into another 90 degree week, but idgaf. i got my much needed speed fix. felt like i was flying today

so FUCKIN STOKED
>>
>>37878161
Google singlet and running shorts 5inch
>>
>>37878597
Thanks anon. They shoe questioner was pretty awesome.
>>
>>37880041
Uhhh I googled singlet and a lot of the image results are yummy beefboys in lingerie
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>
I ran 2 miles today with my iPhone strapped to my arm running the Pokemon Go app so I could hatch one of my eggs.
>>
File: 1467921139939.jpg (59 KB, 468x331) Image search: [Google]
1467921139939.jpg
59 KB, 468x331
>tfw have a great trail down the street from my house
>afraid to go out and run in case people see how out of shape I am
>>
I have lordosis. I always feel a sting in the left side of my lower back

pls help am i able to run?
>>
>run an hour or so after a preworkout meal
>feel like vomiting the entire time

>run while fasting
>0 energy and extreme fatigue after only half a mile

Am I doing something wrong? My meals as usually just eggs, and occasionally oatmeal. Am I not waiting long enough after eating?
>>
>>37880230
Run at off hours, that's what I do.

And for me, I started to get less anxious about people after running for a few weeks. I started to feel good about myself. I still get self conscious though. Like I was running the other day and a group of kids started laughing after I passed them. That actually really made me feel bad..
>>
>>37880260
I think I'll just stop being a pussy and go out and run. Probably would be more embarrassing for me to return home this summer without having changed my body at all than to be seen running
>>
>>37880230
I used to feel like this but right now I dont give a shit anymore
this is a last ditch effort on my part right now
3x a week lifting weights at the gym, 3x a week doing some intense running
I WILL get in shape and achieve my goal body or else Ill die trying
either I make it now or I sudoku, these are my options right now stark and clear before my minds eye
>>
>>37880260
why did they laugh at you anon?
>>
>>37880180
About to do the same, because apparently I go to fast on a bicycle to get credit.
>>
>>37880463
They were probably making fun of me. I've always been told I run funny. I also breathe pretty heavily and sweat a lot since I'm out of shape..
>>
>>37880620
unless you are fat and ugly they were probably laughing at something else and you are just paranoid.
>>
>>37880246
for going to the gym an houe works for me, but for running i usually give it 1.5-2 hours just to be sure
>>
are there any running guides on this board? the sticky only really talks about weightlifting. any books you guys recommend.
>>
>usually can only run about a mile before getting winded
>decide to run a little bit slower
>now can run 5 miles easy

I'm running too slow aren't I
>>
GOD DAMNIT

How do I get rid of my plantar fasciitis? It's been bugging me for close to 3 weeks now, and it's getting worse.

I stretch, I ice, I bought inserts, I massage, I roll cold gold balls on my feet...is surgery the only thing left? I haven't run in 2 weeks, and it was one of the only things keeping me going :(
>>
>>37880981
how long did it take to run those 5 miles
>>
>>37881023
dunno
>>
>>37881114
>>37880981
What's more important is how you felt, was your heart rate up and were you sweating or was it super easy and barely any exertion?
>>
>>37881133
I always sweat

I also do interval training and I get more exhausted doing that though
>>
I feel so different after doing sprints instead of jogging. So much more worn down.
>>
>>37881170
How many seconds sprinting / jogging
>>
>>37881178
I don't time the sprints I go by distance, which is about 1/10th mile sprints and then about 1/4 to 1/2 mile walking. I repeat that like 5 times. If I were to jog it would be a 1 1/2 mile jog.

Sometimes end the jog with a full sprint uphill and that really fucks me up. I just want cardio gains and I read uphill sprinting is goat but wow I really feel my chest beating after that
>>
>>37876760
>below 50 seconds
Do you understand how fast that is.. that makes less than 12,5 seconds per 100m. You'll have a tough time cracking that at a 100m sprint, let alone sustaining that pace for four consecutive laps. Breaking 50 second at the 400m takes an insane amount of practice
>>
>>37878972
Just got mine and love em. Remember to go easy when you are starting frontfoot running and enjoying your new natural stride. My legs hurt.
>>
>>37882336
i think the original poster of that comment was kidding
a sub 50 400m can win most high school state championships and it'll get you into a decent D2/D3 school
>>
>>37878267

Isnt it smart to take rest days in between running days?
>>
>>37878184
this, the cardio kills gainz meme is mostly not true. Only in excess of 40km per week you get to a point where it may create a lot of cortisol, stress on your body and in turn prevent you from getting gainz.

So moderate to light running is still okay, in the traditional running sense.

If you are really worried about gainz loss you could do HIIT and then reap all the benefits from all sports.

HIIT in my opinion could be seen as an extended muscle workout that will boost your testosterone.
>>
>>37878972
I have been using an intermediary, from what the sites at least tell me, the nike free 2.0 which is supposed to get pretty close to yours, to barefoot.

and you know what I noticed after half a year of use? My feet started to look like the feet of those who do not use shoes. You know, less compact and more broad.

Like holey kek why do people even have shoes if that if those things change the physiology of your feet so much?
>>
>>37880246
rice crackers with as little additives, including sugars as possible. If they taste like nothing, have nothing added to them and are pretty simple otherwise. They make the best pre-runners food I have found out after a year or so of running. Nothing beats them.

Well at least in regards to your stomach. If you have a good stomach you could probably eat a banana or something, if you have an average stomach, the rice crackers will be godlike. Goes double for a weak stomach.
>>
>>37882439
Read the conversation and you'll know he wasn't kidding.
>>
>>37876362
i would recommend running in about 10 km/h,
>>
>>37876406
Just try to ignore the pain, its your brain telling you to stop but you can still continue
>>
>>37876144
I want to run through some forest areas but there aren't many around my place. And the others are litreally difficult to run through.

I don't want to run around with machete, I will get caught.

Any dutch bros know any good place in Rotterdam?
>>
>>37878597

Brooks makes super cushy stability shoes really well. They have one or two neutral options that are good. But mostly, they are the Appleby's of running shoes. Bland, soft, designed for people buying their first actual running shoe and are easily impressed. Name any Brooks running shoe and I can name a Nike, Adidas, or New Balance shoe that is better (or Saucony or Mizuno if you're willing to open up the conversation a bit to other running brands).

Basically your best bet is to take the time to go to a running store and get fit by a specialist. They don't charge for fittings, you don't need an appt, it's just something they do.
>>
>>37879382

I hate these questions. What's a good
mile time... for what? For one mile all out? For easy runs? For a 5k? For a man, woman, 13 year old, senior citizen, 32? For a fit person, a fat person, a runner, an athlete not specifically? I ran D1 in college and ran a 15k yesterday in under 55 minutes. 7:30 is a painful crawl for me. But for you it might be a great pace to try to aim for for a 5k. It varies.
>>
>>37882886
>tfw want to discuss shoe brands but realize the reason I got Asics is because my father told me to always buy Asics
I probably don't run enough to notice a difference anyway (like 1h/w I'm terrible)
>>
guys dont fall for the forefoot running meme

even if you wear barefoot running shoes you shouldnt be using forefoot entirely it will fuck you feet up
>>
>>37883065
I slipped on dog shit while doing this
>>
File: gains%20goblin[1].jpg (74 KB, 681x628) Image search: [Google]
gains%20goblin[1].jpg
74 KB, 681x628
SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN
>>
SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN
>>
>Lifting 4x per week
>sports and cycling on the weekend

Left with one day to run. I just want to break 20min on my 5km, how can I into a fast 5km when I cannot run regularly? All recommendations say to run far, have diff tempo runs, have slow recovery runs. I just don't have the time for all that anymore. Gonna be stuck at this time for a while I guess.
>>
>>37882886
You talk like your experience extends all the way to the dizzying heights of shoe technician. Brooks shit on NB, saucony and mizuno and Nike are half cracking the market for decent distance shoes. I've worn all those brands and can tell you from real world experience that Brooks make a solid, reliable and durable shoe. Naming better shoes doesn't make you an expert. Unless you've destroyed them you really shouldn't comment on entire brands m8.
>>
>>37883330
>I just want to break 20min on my 5km
Sounds difficult to do unless you dedicate more time to running at the expense of other activities, namely your lifting regimen. You just have to run more.. What's your current 5k time? If your goal is just to break 20 min you could just run more for a while (maybe like a few months) and then switch back to your old habits
>>
>>37883386
>>You talk like your experience extends all the way to the dizzying heights of shoe technician.

I worked in the run specialty industry from 2005-2014, in every position from retail sales to asst store manager to tech rep to two different brands to regional sales rep for run specialty for a third brand. I'm not saying Brooks doesn't make a good shoe. I'm saying Brooks makes a shoe targeted, INTENTIONALLY, at a very specific niche of the market. Their advertising should tell you everything you need to know. They also have a longstanding and close relationship with both Superfeet and the Fleet Feet franchises. Anything their advertising doesn't tell you should be able to be gleaned from those relationships.
>>
>>37880131
I don't understand why this guy gets so triggered by running. I mean I know his gimmick is strength but seriously.
>>
>>37884130
anon, what are your thoughts on hoka one one?
i feel like they might me the most comfiest running shoe but at the same time the most heavy.

my dad has a pair of brooks and he says they're the comfiest shoe he's ever bought. but then again he's only bought basic mediocre entry level running shoes so brooks was his first actual running shoe.
>>
>>37883081
lolz
>>
i lost 50kg in 3 months - just jogging.
every day 10km
>>
>>37884339
fuck... how did you keep pushing?
and your diet?
>>
File: a3xprbRK3_240w_v1.jpg (13 KB, 240x239) Image search: [Google]
a3xprbRK3_240w_v1.jpg
13 KB, 240x239
>>37884339
>>
>>37878906
Your feet are supposed to land roughly right below your center of balance. Look up terms like overstriding to know if you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>37882886
>>37883386
the important thing both of you need to realize is that every shoe is different, every foot is different, and every person's stride is different. No one shoe or shoe company can be called the best. personal preference trumps all.
>>
>>37884312

As I said, Brooks are fine. But I feel like for a lot of people it's babby's first real running shoe, and they become fanatical about the brand. Their performance stuff pales in comparison Adidas, Nike, New Balance, Mizuno, etc.

Hoka... I have mixed feelings. The idea is that heavy cushion and thick stack height results in a super protective ride, which I get. And it does. But it's got a 4mm drop, and with such a thick soft foam underneath, I could see people coming down hard enough on the heel that they compress the cushion and end up a negative drop at impact. Also the fit is horrible. They had one of the highest return rates in our store, but they also had poor fitting uppers IMO so it probably had more to do with that. You also see returns with shoes that people think will be panacea for their running ills, when it's not actually magic. Comfy, heavy, seems to do wonders for some, I didn't like them when I tried out the pair the rep gave me.
>>
>>37885077
Why did you leave the running shoe industry xx
>>
Reminder that 25min 5k is the MINIMUM you should be able to run to call yourself healthy.
>>
>>37876760
>aim for below 50 seconds
world record or nothing huh faM!
Want to know how I know you dont run?
>>
Stairs feel like such a good workout. There's an observation fort at the local park on the 2.5 mile loop, love going out there and just running up and down. Probably look autistic but whatever.
>>
>>37881010
What kind of stretches do you do?
>>
>>37885463
Youd only look autistic if you were walking up and down them over and over, if you are hustling its obvious you are working out.
>>
>>37876144
so, /running/, I've hit 1/2/3/4 on my lifts, and am now ready to add some of the dreaded cardio until I can run a comfy 10k.
I just started doing C25K, starting in week 3 which seemed appropriate to my condition, and so far (just finished "week 4") it seems to be working.

What are the things I need to know for running? Is there a /running/ sticky? What about running form?

Also what's a normal time for a 5k for people that finish c25k, is it the 30m that are in the program or can I expect to make 26m?
>>
>>37885506
5k goes: 30min beginner 25min healthy heart and lungs 20min athletic heart and lungs 15 minute competitive runner aka skelly af
>>
>>37885536
Thanks senpai, have a (You).

Let's hope my weak lungs won't play up then. Used to have medium-severe bronchitis as a kid, but didn't have any problems since I hit maturity.
>>
>tfw tweaked a muscle in my back on Friday and haven't run since then

Kill me :(
>>
>>37880241
help pls
>>
>>37885939
Not a doctor. But I'd suggest you start with fast walks first. Then progressively start introducing short runs to your walks and so on.

Basically like a modified C25k, but of course, a real doctor might give you a better insight.
>>
>>37885244

I was making good money but felt I was wasting intellectual potential and stimulation. My wife encouraged me to go back to school, and I just finished my Master's in psychology with a research focus on stimulants and mechanisms of appetite suppression. I'm applying to PhD programs in behavioral neuroscience this fall.
>>
My throat is full of fucking mucus after 5km, breathing is uncomfortable as fuck and i can't seem to cough it out. I end up spitting and coughing, losing my breath and tempo, looking gross as fuck with spit everywhere and ultimately losing distance and/or speed gains. How do i avoid this shit?
>>
>>37876144

I'm currently on week 4 of c25k and getting pretty bad dry mouth. I know I need to breath through my nose, but it seem like 3/4 of the run I cannot do it and I'm force to breath through my mouth. I've tried pushing my tongue against the roof of my mouth, but after a little bit even that doesn't help.

Is it normal? Should I be bringing water with me? If so bottle suggestions?

I'm literally a newbie to this. Thank you.
>>
>>37886406
>>37886247

The advice I'd give to both of you is to run slower. Unless you're racing, a 5k should feel like a breeze. If you guys are not there yet, it's better to simply go slower. Most of your runs should be done at a conversational pace.

That said, if you're seriously struggling with dry mouth, get an hydration belt. Best shit I've spent my money on for long runs. Either that or route your run so that you pass by a water fountain at some point
>>
>>37886406
i've been running for 3-4 years now and i bring a water bottle with me everytime, just a generic adidas one; hteyre not very expensive.

not a lot of runners do though, in my experience. i live in the tropics so if i run longer than 20 min i already have my shirt completely soaked, which is why i always bring one.

its really up to you, nothing wrong with bringing one for longer runs for example and not for shorter runs. i never did c25k so not exactly sure what you're running right now
>>
>>37886527
How do you make yourself run slowly? I really struggle with even walking slowly, feels just awkward.
>>
>>37886674
i had the same problem. run with somebody that you know runs at a slower pace than you. just try to keep up with them or mimic their pace, it wont feel so strange and you'll feel less tempted to speed up without noticing
>>
>>37886674
Swallow your ego and get to grandpa shuffling for miles faM
Do it at night if you are embarassed
>>
Even if I'm jogging pretty slow, should I always bring my heels up toward my butt or is it better to kind of "shuffle?"
>>
>>37887012

Heels should come up towards your butt. Harder to do at slower paces, but just try your best. Shorter quicker strides will help. This will also naturally produce better hip drive and shift the point of pressure on contact from heel to midfoot (not necessarily the initial strike point, but the point where the foot bears the most weight).
>>
>>37886843
What do you mean by grandpa shuffling?
>>
>>37887132
"""""Jogging""""" at fast walk pace like you see old people doing
>>
>>37887082
Alright. Would it be better if I run a little faster for less distance if it helps keep my form?
>>
File: 1467628361286.jpg (14 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1467628361286.jpg
14 KB, 250x214
>>37885324
>tfw 28 minutes
>>
>>37887200
I guess that this depends on how faster you mean. I think I can keep decent form going as slow as 6:30min/km. I saw a video sometime ago about keeping form while going slow. Can't find the link again though, but you might want to look into that as well.
>>
File: 3409578346.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
3409578346.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>37887287
Just keep running anon. We're all gonna make it
>>
Still kinda fat around the midsection, but all my lifts are constantly improving and I try and get out daily for about 5-10 miles.

Problem is, I suck at running. Don't have the proper form for it, something fucked up. I've looked it up online a bit, but it's pretty scattered on how to go about it.

Where should your feet land? Front, back, middle? How long should your stride be? I can't seem to get the energy to move up to my ass, it always feels like its terminating right at the front of my shins.
>>
>>37887333
Cool, I'll see if I can pull it up. I'm doing about 30 minute 5ks, I guess I should be able to not run shitty at that pace.
>>
>>37886527
>get an hydration belt.

I'll look into this. Thanks. I really don't want to slow down. In my head I'm slow (not sure or not), but I like the pace, just not the dry.
>>
>>37886540
Mostly running, with a few walking parts (think 5 minutes run 1 minute walk) for 22 minutes.
>>
>>37887200

I mean form will break down with fatigue, so shortening a run will help. But running any distance even with less than ideal form will slow the onset of fatigue. So I would recommend working on form at specific times, purposefully, but not so often or so intently that you burn out mentally. When I was running in HS and college as a more competitive athlete, I would count my stride rate once per mile on easy days. Sometimes that meant the first seven minutes of a seven mile run. Sometimes the last five of a five mile run. Sometimes once every mile for each mile of a sixteen mile long run. But I ALWAYS got in at least as many counts as miles on easy days.
>>
>>37887132
Run at a pace you can hold a conversation at. That's shuffling and it's how ultra runners gauge their effort.
>>
>>37886406
Why do you 'need' to breathe through your nose mate? Who told you to close your mouth when you run?
>>
>>37883681
Current hovers around 23. I think I might just switch to10km runs for a month then try out a 5km after it to see how that goes
>>
Just finished C25K today.

My 5K was 34:xx (so crap), but dammit it took a lot of work to get there. And I'll get faster.

I'll be using Jack Daniels' Running Formula. The "White Plan" finishes with 4 weeks of this (which I'll start on and then go from there):

1 30 min easy + 6 strides + 6 min easy
2 Off vs. repeat 1
3 10 min E + 5 ST + 10 min E + 5 ST + 10 min E
4 Off vs. repeat 3
5 Repeat 1
6 Off vs. repeat 1
7 30 min E
>>
>>37878161
no shirt master race
>>
>>37885324
>>37885324

breh, 8 min per mile consistently is kinda difficult to achieve.
>>
>>37889978
If it takes you more than 6 months to get to 25min 5k you should kill yourself asap
>>
>>37890138
well that's a little more reasonable, I'm about 3 months there and can do an 8 minute mile if I push myself.

But not everyone starts at a healthy weight yo.
>>
>>37882504
Depends on how long you've been running & your weekly milage. Running too much too quickly will give you all sorts of IT band problems. If you think you're getting hurt, stop immediately and ease up the regimen. If you work into it correctly (read the guides mentioned above) then there's no problem with running every day.

FWIW I've been running 50+ miles a week and I haven't had a rest day in 13 weeks. I'm by no means an elite athlete, I've just been working at it for 4 years now.
>>
>>37889978
This is a fitness board and a running thread. What the man says is true. Some will have a hard time hearing it but it's the truth.
>>
I'm looking to break 80 mins on the half marathon this fall. Anyone have any advice on what kind of workouts I should be looking at?

My PR for the half is 82 mins.
>>
>>37890285
Bro your close so you don't need to alter too much. Get to a track and bust out a some 1200m reps and maybe hit some hills. Increase your volume for a period leading up to it, taper well and have a good day and you'll jag a 2 min PB. Good luck
>>
Think il go to a running shoe store tommorow, going to ask for something to use every otherday for 5k on a track or sidewalk around $100. what should i expect?
>>
>>37890285
80 minutes is fast af, are you a skelly?
>>
>>37890330
Nike lunars or nike frees 2bb
>>
>>37890331
Pretty lean, 140 lbs and 5'10''

I mostly just lurk /fit/ for the running threads as you van imagine. I figure I'll get into lifting once I finish my degree.
>>
Just started doing cardio. Can I get some feedback?

Friday: 20 minutes total. About 1 mile. Running at a decent pace, until I cant keep it up anymore, alternating with walking until my heart rate starts slowing again.

Saturday: 25-35 minutes (didnt check time) 2 miles, same as Friday

Sunday: rest

Today: 2.5 miles. Attempted the same but I had very little energy after the first mile. Very sore glutes and calves. A lot more walking needed than Saturday.

What the hell happened? Why was today so bad, when I had a day of rest? Did I not eat enough?
>>
>>37890389
Ha. Ex competitive runner turned ultra trail runner here. The autism in these threads is crazy. Pricks running 12mi a week handing out advice to 10mi a week runners. Anyways, good luck with your sub 80
>>
>>37890563
Hey can I please get some feedback here
>>37890442

If you know a better place to ask, please share. Thanks.
>>
>>37890618
I'll give you the same advice I was given when I first started out. Never STOP. EVER (unless you're injured of course). If you're running so hard that you have to walk after just a mile then you are exceeding your capabilities. You're sore bc you most likely don't warm up correctly (very important) and jump straight into hard running. You should back off the gas and run without stopping until you think you're going to crack then KEEP running. Start small and build up the distance and regularity. Running well takes time and patience. If it didn't everyone would be busting marathons for their weekend long run. Good luck and if you want more info just ask.
>>
File: CblBz.gif (119 KB, 1288x2588) Image search: [Google]
CblBz.gif
119 KB, 1288x2588
>>37890682
I have zero cardiovascular conditioning. NEVER STOP is going to have me either just walking, or going for 2 minutes.

How is warming up gonna help soreness? Feels like DOMS.
>>
>>37890794
Just slow down then. Run at a pace you can maintain without stopping. If you can't muster the heart to jog a couple of miles without "needing" to walk then you aren't gonna make it man. Just keep running. Warming up and stretching loosens the muscles and preps them for work (very basic explanation but it's all you need). Most likely the soreness is DOMS if you go flat out from cold but if you do as I said above your muscles won't be nearly as sore and you can just do cool down stretching.
>>
>>37890837
Have you ever worked with novices? I feel like you're really overestimating my work capacity. I cant just 'run slower' for a mile.

How is a 'warmed up' muscle less likely to get DOMS? I can understand injury prevention, but not general soreness.
>>
>>37890968
I guess I am overestimating your ability if you keep telling me you cant do something you haven't even attempted yet.
I'm not the guy to be asking for advice in your situation man. Maybe just do a c25k or something? Or that graph you posted. Good luck.
>>
>>37886071
Was the industry just a job or do you still have a vested interest in running? It would seem pretty cool to be able to have a job that's related to your hobby.
>>
Am I right with my theory that it's bad to go from jogging to walking if you don't feel the need to? I started jogging a month ago. I am pretty overweight and out of shape, so I started running a quarter mile and walking a quarter mile. I'd sometimes be so tired that I'd only be able to manage repeating this twice.

I continued with this for a month and last week I said fuck it and decided to keep running. I ended up running a mile straight. It was like the momentum kept me going or something.
>>
>>37890968
If you need a specific regimen, do c25k.

If you are prepared to freeball it, then just do 30 minute workouts. Workout as many days as you can, but at the very least every 3 days unless you are actually injured.

For each workout, jog as much as you can, walk as much as you need. That's it. As long as you are honest with yourself about the difference between want to walk, and needing to walk, you will make it.
>>
>>37891632
Welcome to running, where you spend almost all of your time wanting to stop, but fighting not to.
>>
>>37880180
I did that last night. I ran 4.7 miles, caught 41 Pokemon, and hatched a 5k egg and 2k egg.
>>
OP and anyone else that needs help,

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51123/10K-Intermediate-Training-Program

links at bottom can change the program into easy mode up to super hard mode.

Something that matters just as much as working out/running is taking care of the muscles that do all that work. Look up "limber 11", and phraktured starting stretching. Antronik on youtube is another good resource.

I run on the intermediate plan, on week 2, after working my way through the novice. 5'7, 145. My fastest time by the mile was 28:55 on the 3 mile.
>>
>>37892824
which would be 9:20ish for the mile, although it was more like 10/10/8:55. My course includes a steep hill climb, and a gradual decline looped at a mile (so I climb once a mile).
>>
>22 min 4km every single day
>get shin splints every single day
wtf am i doing wrong ive been to a chiropractor and he gave me insoles but that only worked for a month, i run up and downhill every time too
>>
>>37893005
Break it down
>22 min
>4km
>everyday

If you're taking 22 minutes to run 4K, you're probably too new to be running everyday.
>>
>>37893005
Stop running every day. Warm up. Stretch. Self massage. ice.
>>
>>37889601
Sounds good! Remember to run at an easy pace. You can do some harder workouts like 1km or 400m repeats too, these will help you push through the 5km race. Just don't do them too often (maybe max one per week)
>>
>>37890794
I can't do this program, you have to be able to run 25 minutes in 23 minutes in week 6, and I just can't do that.
>>
>>37890285

When I ran my PR in the half (73:43, so 5:37 per mile) I was doing lots of short tempos of 3-4 miles at sub 5:30, longer ones of 10+ between 6:00-6:15 and an ascending goal pace workout where I started with 3 miles at 5:45, then 2x2, then 1-2-2, 3x2, 3-2-3, 4x2. That all took me from a base building period in April and May, then serious workouts in June through August, then a two week taper in early September. I maintained a sprint workout once every two weeks to keep from getting flat. Mileage was 50-60 throughout. Two lifts per week, basic SS stuff.
>>
>>37891590

I still run and I keep up on what's going on in the industry. I just wasn't stimulated despite being around what I enjoyed. There was some frustration over the direction the industry is going. It's catering more and more to the sort of people who would rather do a marathon once and stop running than those who would do a 5k every month or two for a few years and try to get better. Nobody who runs seriously thinks completing a marathon is impressive; everybody who doesn't thinks it's like climbing Everest. And those people who are more interested in completion than improvement want different things off the shelf. Catering to those people is frustrating. How do you get hyped for a performance trainer that your top pros helped design for a compromise in response and comfort and support, when you know it'll just get ordered in the sticks while your mega cushioned stability shoe with all the bells and whistles that feels like a slipper off the shelf (but maybe not so great five miles into a run) will get an extended size run plus widths?
>>
File: zombiesrun.jpg (44 KB, 705x345) Image search: [Google]
zombiesrun.jpg
44 KB, 705x345
What does everyone use to entertain themselves whilst running? This app is intense af
>>
>>37876144
19 yo, pretty heavy for my height (5'7, 175 lbs)
how do i start running without fucking up my knees? i need to do some cardio because smoking and sitting all the time when im not lifting is already killing my cardiovascular health, i have around 75b/m while resting, it's pretty fucking bad for my age.
are rebook nano good for a first timer? i also have a pair of nike free 5.0
>>
File: 1468137794371.jpg (152 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1468137794371.jpg
152 KB, 500x375
I stopped running a week ago after running pretty often for 5 weeks. Do you guys ever stop for a while? I don't quite know why I stopped but my psychologist said I should kick my ass sometimes and just do it if I know it makes me feel better. But I had a pretty negative feeling after my second to last run which might have caused this break, I don't know, really wish I had a friend or something to run with.

Anybody in college here? How do you find running partners if you have any?
>>
>>37895829

At your weight you'll want something much more substantial than either of those. Go to a running store and get fit properly.
>>
>>37896015
no running stores in my area, the only one ave overpriced stuff.
i can afford a good pair of running shoes, i just dont want to give that bastard any of my money.
any tips on brands and models?
>>
>>37896041

Define "overpriced." You probably just have unrealistic expectations for the cost of a product that can protect weak joints undergoing 175 pounds of impact per step for 500 miles of running on asphalt and concrete.
>>
>>37896143
this store sells products for pretty much 15% more than their actual value, that's what i mean, i want to buy them online if possible
>>
I have a 5k race in 12 weeks. Hoping to break 16 minutes. Problem is I only run low mileage because of injuries. How should I structure my training to get the most out of 15 miles per week.

Currently every run I do is intervals or tempo. eg 2 mile tempo in 11:00 or 4x800 in 2:30
I have replaced all easy runs with cross training, rowing, swimming and cycling.

Can't really up the mileage. I'm fine running fast for short periods of time but running easy for longer than 20 minutes fucks my calves, achilles and shins.
>>
>>37896207

So how do you determine their "actual value." I just explained why they cost a lot; they're able to support your fat ass over the 500 mile life of the shoe. So why are they worth less to you?
>>
File: 1467423597038_0.jpg (13 KB, 625x479) Image search: [Google]
1467423597038_0.jpg
13 KB, 625x479
I get real bad side-stitches if I drink water while running, like really bad
is this gonna go away eventually as I run more? I'm fucking thirsty but cannot drink
>>
any strava users about?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x404
>>37878184
>Quit being so fuckin reasonable and pleasant to deal with.
>>
>>37895523
i use speed. just push your self hard and focus on pushing u wont need entertainment. ill take a look at the app
>>
>>37896325
You're meant to drink a decent amount of water until 20 minutes before you run, then have little sips just before you start, then hydrate as normal after.

Unless you're running 10K+ in which case you should stop for a minute and drink a small amount of water, then continue, as oppose to gouging it down whilst moving.
>>
>>37896325
i imagine its food thats giving u a stitch unless your chugging the water back. im in no discomfit or pain when i run casually
>>
>>37878267
Good input, i will look into buy that book.
Knowledge is power after as they say.

>>37878466
I have listen to this clip now, its great, would love more of this stuff but also more instruction would not hurt.

>>37878561
I i tried a few during my time and the one i got to love fastest is my Saucony peregrine 6. They are best for trail and elevation imo, would not suit asphalt running thou, for asphalt i use Triumph 7 model. love the energy return with them.

>>37880246
I always try to run 3-4 hours after my last meal, otherwise i will vomit in my mouth.

>>37886406
I have always ignored people saying breath with nose when it comes to running, i see it as if i can have breath technique and take in as much air i can while running i have to use the mouth. But yeah each to there own on that point, what works for someone doesn't for another. Good luck with your running i hope you find the solution.

>>37885324
i run 1mile in on 7min. and 7*5=35.. Does that mean im unhealthy?

>>37890563
Not all are pro from the birth and maybe want to help others in the struggle to get better. To throw shit on other don't make you better.
But thanks for your input.

>>37892824
Good advice, will definitely try this out.

And to all other positive and good replies in this thread keep on going, this is turning out to be a great thread.
>>
Working on my running, trying to get my speed up for Army fitness tests. How is this routine?

Currently doing-
Monday
>Weighted walking, 8-10 miles

Tuesday
>Hill sprints

Wednesday
>Rest

Thursday
>Interval training

Friday
>Hill sprints

Saturday
>Rest

Sunday
>Slow paced run, long as possible
>>
File: 1429591336118.gif (137 KB, 188x199) Image search: [Google]
1429591336118.gif
137 KB, 188x199
I'm trying to blast away my weight/fat body and work on my cardio so I can get ready for Navy Boot camp in a few months. Essentially I've just been jogging about 4 miles a day on my treadmill, and I'll walk the rest, and I try to make it all go to about 1 hour of movement. I usually burn about 500 calories according to my treadmill. Is this reasonable or should I get into a more structured routine?
>>
>>37896764
yh run outside if your from the uk do parkrun
>>
>>37896764
Get off the treadmill is the best advice I can give you. If you're training for military service then do everything outside.
>>
>>37896785
>>37896781
Do you think it will fuck up my form/resistance or will being outside just help with losing more weight?
>>
>>37896764
Id suggest picking a time like 30 mins and slowly increasing the pace on the tredmill for those 30 mins. Like set it to 10kph and run it for 30, then next time you run set it 10.1 or 10.2 etc. I made hella gains doing this style training when I was new
>>
>>37896809
By that I meant, will being outside improve my form or resistance.
>>
>>37896809
being outside will improve motivation. running on harder surfaces should strengthen your calf's and improve your form
>>
>>37896257
He means the store sells the shoes at a price 15 % higher than that on the internet. Which price do you choose? He's not talking about the inherent value of the shoes, but difference in the retail prices
>>
>>37896810
I'll defenitely be trying that, thanks m8. Random question for you though, been meaning to ask this on /fit/. Since running and dieting around November I've lost almost 40 pounds, I look like a new man. Like my face thinned way the hell out and I've gotten skinnier. But for some reason my stomach still has a bulge, like a beer gut.

Do I just need to lose more weight and not be a fat fuck or do I just have bad water retention/bloating or something? For the record I'm 5'9 176 pounds.
>>
>>37879382
about average for normalfag who likes to talk about getting gud but doesn't really(stand alone mile) Good for 5k speed, tho
>>
>>37896809
Its more that in the military (Armyfag here) you do 99% of your fitness outside on partially uneven surfaces, hills, wet ground, soft ground etc etc. Treadmills are flat and can cause some serious issues with form.
I found that switching from treadmill to outside improved my performance rapidly.

>Better form
>Experience with different surfaces
>Improved motivation
>Real control over pace
>plan interesting routes
>varied workouts
>>
>>37889978
90% of the stuff on this board his harder than a 8min constatnt
>>
>>37896446
Strava is nice for stalking all the qts. Based fly-bys.
>>
I jogged on dunes before and found it very difficult and good workout. What level of training would you do to mimic dune training if its not available?
>>
>>37876144
if you want to torture yourself into /running/ god, try running uphills with backpacks
good for legs AND cardio
I think
>>
>>37896892
Running with a weighted backpack is one of the worst things you can possibly do.

Running up hills however is fantastic.
>>
>>37896839

It depends. Did a running shoe store help you pick out the shoes? Then I'd feel like a piece of shit (rightfully so) after buying them less online instead of giving the store my business. Did you rely on a stranger on the Internet for advice, who has never seen your feet and is of questionable expertise? Then by all means, pay a few dollars less.
>>
>>37896912
>one of the worst things you can possibly do
explain plz?
>>
>>37896871
too right
>>
>>37896936
It's too high impact on the knees and ankles. Can cause serious injury if anything goes wrong. There's a reason the military is starting to phase it out.
Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing way to build endurance but it's also the best way to just ruin your joints.

Really there's no need to do such things if you're training properly, lots of people do it to train for Para's or SAS/SBS and just end up blowing out their knees. I'd recommend Hill sprints 2-3 times a week instead since that is considered the best way to build running strength with minimal risk of injury. Weighted walking however is fucking amazing.
>>
>>37896936
Do weighted WALKING at a marching cadence. Running with weights is crossfit teir snap city shit
>>
>>37896920
>Did a running shoe store help you pick out the shoes
Yeah.. It's about personal preference if you want the store to do that
>>
It's too goddamn hot outside. I ran 6 miles at marathon pace today, I thought I drank enough water beforehand but near the end my face felt like it was on fire and I felt like I was going to vomit. I know 85 isn't THAT hot compared to places in the south but I think it's the 100% humidity that kills me.
>>
File: murakami_run3.jpg (20 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
murakami_run3.jpg
20 KB, 400x272
I ran my first half marathon last fall while anemic from a couple of years of donating blood as often as possible. My last donation, several weeks before the race, knocked my hemoglobin to about 11 and my ferritin to the single digits. Looking to take at least a half hour off my result on the same course later this year.

>>37878561
I just picked up a pair of the previous version (8) of Saucony's Ride and I really like it. For a year I was using Brooks PureFlows but I found that they didn't offer the cushion I desire, particularly for 10 km and greater distances.

For my next pair I'm thinking of getting something with more cushion still. Always an older model, of course.
>>
File: kluwe run.png (48 KB, 516x376) Image search: [Google]
kluwe run.png
48 KB, 516x376
Is fit faster than a washed-up NFL punter?
>>
>>37898039
Going by my 5k pace, I'm 10 seconds slower.
feelsbadman.jpg
>>
rarely post here

I keep getting erections while running
it's been happening for the past few days

messes up my routine because it is uncomfy

what do?
>>
>>37877399
>42
Can someone tell me why would 400m sprints injure you?
>>
>>37876482
Technically what is the proper way to breathe while running? I've been pretty sedentary the past couple of years but I just started lifting again a few weeks ago and want to add cardio back in.
>>
Started the couch to 5k and after doing the first run my right hip is in constant pain when I stand up, it also hurt during the run but I didn't mind then, will this go away with continuous running?

>pic related - when i try to stand up
>>
>>37900230

I don't particularly enjoy Death Grips, but that dude's tattoo game is on point.
>>
>>37900230
You hurt yourself on one run?
Fuck sake
>>
>>37900396
Well, I was just running/ jogging in intervals with walking in between, I don't know if its my body structure which is more vulnerable to hip pain but I don't think i did anything weird on the run to hurt myself
>>
>>37899780
I breathe in then out and keep repeating this continually
>>
>>37900480
K
>>
running while stoned anyone?
>>
I started running a few weeks ago and I'm getting a shitty 30 minutes for 3.5 mile

What's the best way to get faster without killing myself?
>>
File: 23462728.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
23462728.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>37900940
Did this once. High didn't last.
>>
>>37900940
I feel like i can run forever. It makes my breathing feel so relaxed.
>>
>>37896848
Post a pic, pretty confident I and other more experienced anons could easily identify your issue based on appearance and fat distribution.
>>
Is slight knee pain in only one leg enoigh of a red flag to hold off on running? Currently doing 4/5 mi 3-5x/ week
>>
>>37900940
Oh fuck, when you hit that runners high and get the double high. I grin like a dumbass and passerbyers stare.
>>37902503
bumping for the same exact question
>>
>>37902503
>>37903278
Take up to two days off, re-evaluating your condition each day. If it's still not gone, it might be a precursor to a bigger problem.
>>
>>37878161
0.5 inch running shorts
>>
>>37895961
>Anybody in college here? How do you find running partners if you have any?
I know I can't rely on my friends because they simply are not motivated enough. I just go and try to keep myself honest (am I really going hard enough etc.) When I'm home I run with my father (he hasn't stopped running since he joined the navy).
>>
>>37904612

Idk if you're into this, but running makes it easy to find new music. I usually end up running for 30-50 minutes at a time, so its about generic album length. Usually once a week I'll pick a new album to listen to while running.

I mention this because it makes it easy to keep running. You just...make it part of your life. Just like you gotta eat, sleep and shit, you gotta run while listening to that new cool album.

>>37900230

Have you looked into stretching? Look up limber 11, phraktured starting stretching, and antronik on youtube. Ido's squat routine (3rd world squat, not some gay western squat) would be some other advice that's hip related.

>>37899780
Breathe through nose in and out until you cant, then focus on trying to, to help pass the time. Breathes should be as separated as naturally possible. Don't try and go for 7 strides or some shit, because technically yes that is possible, but what is *natural*. It should be a tempo that is consistent.

>>37896848
Running long distance will not get rid of the beer gut. Running is an aerobic exercise which implies that you are relying on the lung + any incorporated muscles to be at minimum "density", per se (they need as much space as possible for as much oxygenation as possible, barring you actually have enough muscle to do said task. Its why cardio kills gains when you do super long distances, and xc runners are sticks). However, the abs are virtually useless in this regard. You are a human, you learned to stand as a baby. Running standing does not require any special ab strength, nor does an ordinary sized ab interfere with the diaphragm. So, it will be the last part of the body to lose fat when running, unless you put some serious cutting on.

>>37896677
Very good, desu.

>>37896625
>one mile in 7 minutes
You're pretty healthy. Also reading jack daniels is recommended but higdon explains all that for free on the link I provided.

>>37880931
see my hal higdon link I posted in a previous post
>>
>>37905456
>Idk if you're into this, but running makes it easy to find new music.
Unfortunately I have terrible taste / no culture in music, and I can't imagine running with things in my ears. I don't like being distracted anyway; I drive my car without radio or music because I'd rather be 100% focused on driving and the raw experience, and I don't want to listen to music because I'd rather be focused on what happens around me and how my body feels.
>>
Winter in ausland so hard to find enough daylight or dry days but still running twice a week, an 11km and a 7km.
I was doing 2x7kms and a 1x14km per week over summer but found when I dropped to twice a week the 14km was too hard to maintain without muscle soreness creeping in.
My times have dropped off a little but fuck it, at least im running outdoors and will pickup the pace when it gets warmer.
>>
Running 3.2 miles a day. Training so in the fall I can do a 5k - as a former fatty, I don't want to finish first or anything, just know I can do it.

Currently in El Paso, TX - actually have been running in 100+ F weather. Shit's challenging but kinda fun.
>>
File: dog.jpg (227 KB, 1600x898) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
227 KB, 1600x898
How do I get my dog into running?

I'm taking him out every morning for a 30min interval running but he lags behind me during the second half.

I've seen him run way longer when we take him out to the countryside so I think he's just being lazy.
>>
>>37905946
caffine! it will be ruff but he will bull through also try running music
>>
>>37905824
3.2 miles is more than 5k
>>
>>37905963
>caffeine
Why would I poison my dog?

>running music
are you kidding me?
>>
>>37905981
a little never hurt any1

just play the music out loud not put headphones on the dog

also allow him to stretch and use a foam roller afterwards its for his own good
Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.