[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /fit/ Older starting lifter here, 41. Do you have particular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 402x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 402x286
Hi /fit/
Older starting lifter here, 41. Do you have particular advice aimed at the 40+ male ? Strength is an area I have neglected all my life and I want to start addressing that before it gets too "complicated" so to speak.
Any older lifters here?
>>
>>37861440

start doing cardio

high frequency low weight and isometrics
>>
>>37861440

Read the sticky and SS+GOMAD if you managed to stay a skellington even though adult metabolism, else just SS
>>
File: 1286894765253.jpg (72 KB, 368x600) Image search: [Google]
1286894765253.jpg
72 KB, 368x600
>>37861473
fuck this guy.

just start doing ss or sl and work your way from there. also, pick related
>>
http://www.whatsteroids.com/workout/bodybuilding-50-years-age
>>
you will probably stall a little faster on linear progress and you recover more slowly
try out a basic barbell program and see how it goes
>>
Greyskull LP
>>
>>37861498
agreed. 55 years old guy here. SS is good or try StongLifts....this one i really like. eat lots of good food. veggies, fruit, dairy, lean meats, eggs. all organic.
>>
File: 1448880427484.png (42 KB, 1072x501) Image search: [Google]
1448880427484.png
42 KB, 1072x501
Read Starting Strength and Practical Programming. That'll get you started, and by the time you need something more complicated/individualized you'll have enough experience to figure it out for yourself.
>>
>>37861440
SS and religiously keep your form right. Don't do an exercise with big weights unless you know how to do it properly. You won't heal as fast as a teenager, so it's better not to get injured at all. Hodgetwins started lifting at their late 30s and look at them now. Good luck.
>>
>>37861440
i'm turning 37 and started lifting again 2 years ago. totally out of shape when i started too after spending 15 years at a desk job. just now finally getting as strong as i was in high school. best advice is just keep track of what you eat, hit your protein targets, eat good fats, and limit carbs. nothing really magic but try to ride out linear gains and don't be afraid to deload or even decrease the rate you up weights every sesion for the exercises you're weak at (like 2.5 lb increase instead of a 5 lb increase for OHP if you're weak at it). focus on GOOD FORM instead of "progress". also i found that adding cardio after sessions for the first few weeks at least, helped me get back into some semblence of readyness when i started
>>
>>37861440
Experienced masters lifter here (35+)

Your recovery time is much slower than teen lifters awash in testosterone. I suggest being more meticulous in diet and moving on to an intermediate program at the first sign of slow recovery. Avoid injuries at all costs. Learn how to wam up correctly. Do prehab work.

Dan John's Easy Strength is a good book / program to start with.

Hormone replacement therapy might not be a bad idea either if you can find an amenable MD.
>>
>>37862922
i wouldn't jump into hrt right away. just check your diet first, supplement zinc and magnesium (fish oil and vitamin c & d as well since shits good for you).
light dynamic stretches and doing your warm up sets is important as well. when you start lifting start from empty bar and work linearly from there. don't macho your way into lifting 2 plates right off the bat. focus on good form and building CNS response and muscle memory. do cardio (bike, run, sprints, tread climber, elliptical etc) to fill in extra time and energy you have early in your linear program and gradually do less cardio as the intensity of your lifting program starts to take it's toll
>>
>>37861440

1. Google 'Dan John'. He has a lot of good stuff out there for older lifters (i.e. sorting out basic mobility and strength for an untrained 40+ year old man) and has a very realistic approach.
2. Do cardio. The kids on here don't give a fuck about it because they're young, but men die from heart attacks. It will also keep you lean.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.