[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes Starting Strength better than Greyskull LP?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: questionable.jpg (4 KB, 141x222) Image search: [Google]
questionable.jpg
4 KB, 141x222
What makes Starting Strength better than Greyskull LP?
>>
File: trex.png (133 KB, 915x540) Image search: [Google]
trex.png
133 KB, 915x540
>
>>
It's not.
>>
File: 1421652097452.jpg (27 KB, 331x473) Image search: [Google]
1421652097452.jpg
27 KB, 331x473
SS is for strength, GSLP is for aesthetics
>>
>>37856099
>aesthetics
can this meme die already
>>
File: what.png (202 KB, 293x279) Image search: [Google]
what.png
202 KB, 293x279
>>37856099
>GSLP is for aesthetics
...but it isn't.
>>
>>37856111
Can you die already?
>>
>>37856052
PPL.
>>
File: AMA_2013_700px_v3.jpg (201 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
AMA_2013_700px_v3.jpg
201 KB, 700x393
>>37856207
>>
>>37856219
No, Reddit has a boner for ICF.
>>
File: NVM_fixed_it_.jpg (43 KB, 720x600) Image search: [Google]
NVM_fixed_it_.jpg
43 KB, 720x600
Better for the numbers aka progression
Yep that's it
>not doing SS until you deathlift around 200lb (first phase) and then switching to greyskull
>not just adding accessories to SS if you think the t-rex meme is real
>>
>>37856417
>I don't know what greyskull is: the post
>>
>>37856052
I started with SS for 3 months and switched to GSLP. I think I would recommend GSLP over SS. So I disagree that its better.
>>
>>37856427
I'm not talking about greyskull, just saying the only thing that SS is better is in terms of progression
I consider greyskull a better choice but you could do SS for a month or two to learn the lifts when the periodization ain't doing much with such low numbers
>>
Same fucking program except grey skull adds AMRAP for last set, which most fags don't get above 5-7 anyways, so it barely does shit. It also reverses upper body and lower body. Sean10mmss is the way to go in my opinion, as dips and accessory work do more for me, and I need more energy for squats than I do bench or ohp. I actually feel more warmed up for bench when I do squat first. Anyways, both are good, and contrary to my prior bitching they are essentially the same and either one will probably give you the same gains, as long as you get at least 5 every set and warm up properly.
>>
Greyskull LP is a lot better for beginners than a lot of the shitty programs out there. That said, I do think that Starting Strength's beginner program is a better one.

The main thing is that reps till failure (on weighted exercises) is a decent tool for lifters that have practically mastered their form and have developed an excellent sense of their body. These don't apply to beginners; and I think the "as many reps as possible" sets are just a completely terrible idea in a beginner program.

Another is that the Starting Strength program has a very smart system of progression. The very starting routine, with its deadlifts every work out until the trainee has started to get full neuromuscular activation; then the addition of powercleans and adding chin-ups, then eventually switching one squat day to front squats. Greyskull LP almost seems like a better fit for late novice to early intermediate training than true beginner program.

I also think that Starting Strength's intensity cycle deloads and their criteria for ending the program are better designed.

And of course, if you're talking about the BOOK instead of the PROGRAM, Starting Strength has hilariously more information about how to do the exercises and their mechanics and scientific justification than Greyskull.

On the other hand, Greyskull LP has one big advantage. SS emphasizes squats a bit much for anybody that isn't doing like, sledge pulls or football or sumo wrestling. Squatting twice per three workouts is a pretty good balance.

I also like doing chins at least twice a week, instead of the 1.5x a week that SS does it.

A few more minor differences:

I like doing neck harness exercises, but I really question their utility for the beginner.

To a lesser degree, the same is true for rows. Do them, but maybe not for the first three months or so.
Curls are also one that could do to wait until they have the basics down.

I also really like the power clean and think more people should do it.
>>
>>37856730
everyone bitches about the squats. just the third one out and replace it with something else. bam, SS is now perfect.
>>
>>37856730
Fuck you i did amrap from day one and the only side effect was hella gains.

If you read they greyskull book he explains the benefit of doing this all the time instead of only during deloads.

If you wanted you could only do it during deloads.

Also it is AMRAP, it is NOT to failure.
There is a distinction.

Greyskull blows ss out of the water.

Jim scheaffer kept all the best elements, with none of the bad, and added solid improvements.

Gslp is love, gslp is life.
>>
>>37856730
The squat frequency is imo perfect, and for most people i am coaching i even sub out hip thrust formone squatting session, so it is weekly progression on three lifts hitting the same area, and there is never a need for deload.

Lower body is so easy to build str and mass, i dont understand why there is so much emphasis on it. Especially given the simplicity of the best lower body programming (heavy skwats)
>>
>>37856477
Is this Julius Kieser
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.