[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much does genetics play into intelligence? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1467089198494.jpg (112 KB, 644x527) Image search: [Google]
1467089198494.jpg
112 KB, 644x527
How much does genetics play into intelligence?

I don't understand how someone can put minimum effort into studying and still get the same marks as who put in the max.

Nature must play a bigger role over nurture
>>
10% genetics, 90% hard work
>>
File: 1467773376849.gif (2 MB, 243x162) Image search: [Google]
1467773376849.gif
2 MB, 243x162
>>37825019
nah that's all fucking genetics

he eats PIZZA while you're busting your ass in teh gym m8
>>
>/fit/ fitness
>>
>>37825003
There was a dude who barely did shit backin Highschool and aced all the tests.

Turns out he actually worked super hard and lied about it.

Crazy huh.
>>
>>37825019

That's the thing. The ability to work hard partly comes from genetics. Human will power is part nurture, part genetics. Look up the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. Before you think I'm making excuses, I consider myself pretty decent when it comes to willpower.

That said, I disagree with you OP and think that it's the opposite. Nurture plays a bigger role over nature.
>>
>>37825003
If I remember correctly it was around 60% genetic.
We talked about this shit in my first semester and professor was pretty based, no political correctness bullshit.
>>
Genetics is a large role in intelligence, in fact based on your race you can predict your intelligence, a black man is 3 times less likely to have an average white iq for example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6SJNVb0GnPI
>>
Doesn't matter, just study hard and you'll be reasonably well. Was garbage at math in high school and hated it. When I got to college I realized I was shit at math because I lacked basic algebra skills before doing calculus. Built that foundation up, and actually started doing the problems in the book and math stopped being that hard.
>>
>>37825213
Im native american and have 0 willpower so maybe correct
>>
>>37825003
I get a feeling that you are trying to find out if you can do the extreme keto diet with the 50% caloric reduction. I mentioned willpower being important there and from there on you wanted to learn more. Its admirable really if it is like that. But its funny that its being dragged out over multiple threads.

>>37825213
But that anon is also right, it can somewhat be taught. Though I had a natural advantage over that and managed to do it alone.

Though I am not sure how it can be taught. Being autistic enough (or intelligent, whatever way you see it) to override basic warning signals from your brain about your impending doom is pretty crazy.

it goes so far with me that I cant even enjoy many of the drugs out there anymore. Even flatout drunk does nothing to improve my mood socially anymore.

So you probably dont want to go too far in this haha.
>>
File: Cheater.gif (2 MB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
Cheater.gif
2 MB, 400x253
>>37825003
I ended up coasting my way through school getting 100s on tests and quizzes while doing the bare minimum of actual work because when I was growing up I trained my memory. I made games of trying to remember things. Whenever I was remembering events from my own life while just thinking to myself, I would stress myself to produce as much detail about the event as possible. I learned mnemonics (was particularly fond of the "memory palace" technique and created multiple imaginary libraries in my head) to improve my memory further.

I did all of that because to me learning was fun and I made a game of it. Like any other game, I practiced to get good at it. The point of school, at least before going into any sort of vocational training, is to learn how to learn. The cavalcade of semi-useless bullshit they're teaching you is just supposed to be a series of opportunities for you to improve your memory and willpower. Take full advantage of those opportunities: make learning a game and win at it.
>>
>>37825297
Got any books to recommend?
>>
>>37825261

So am I, and I get shit done. I graduated University along with like 4 other Natives in the entire school. It's all in your head man
>>
>>37825297
Confirmed autist
>>
I think genetics is way overrated in that regard. In my experience people often don't know how to study properly. Motivation is also a big issue. Whenever I do something on a voluntary basis I find myself feeling a strong sense of motivation. However, when I do mandatory stuff for university it feels like word and I just want to get it over with.
Have you ever noticed how easy it is to remember details from rpg build guides (Diablo, PoE, etc.), sport strategies or exercise science? Those things can be unbelievably complex especially for outsiders, yet your attitude towards the subject allows you to understand everything in record time.
A friend of mine finished his Master's degree in math with outstanding marks half a year ago and he's one of the few people I know who are able to channel their passion-driven motivation into mandatory tasks.

So I guess after fixing your study habits (if necessary), motivation is the most important thing to address.
>>
>>37825003
I haven't read IQ research in a long time and there's a lot out their on it, but I'm too lazy to look into it for you. However, off the top of my head:

As SES increases (in development), the variance in IQ due to genetics increases.

As people age, the variance of IQ due to genetics increases.

Adopted kids have a stronger correlation in IQ with their biological parents than their adoptive parents.

About 50% of the variance in academic performance is attributable to IQ.

In extremely low SES populations there is no variance in IQ due to genetics.

If you're genuinely interested in this stuff look into Turkheimer's work, he's a clinical psychologist at UVA.
>>
>>37825297
that shit doesnt work for engineering majors bud
>>
File: Dr. Eggman.jpg (17 KB, 350x401) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Eggman.jpg
17 KB, 350x401
>>37825173
dumb bitch, your brain is a muscle
>>
>>37825317
Specifically on the subject of memory? Unfortunately, no. My process was mostly spontaneous, just trying as hard as I could to remember everything about everything that interested me or that I thought would be useful.

It's a damn shame too, a couple of years ago I had a massive staph infection, ran a fever over 103 for about 2 weeks and my memory suffered after that, specifically a great deal related to foreign languages and my visual memory. Like after it happened, I literally had to spend about 3 minutes to remember what my girlfriend's face looked like, when she wasn't around. But I'm building myself back up, just much slower because now I don't have the luxury of my entire day being devoted to learning and I don't have as much free time either.

If I had a book that helped that much, I'd be all too eager to share it.

But I definitely would recommend making reading a pastime. Part of that training is just to continuously expose yourself to as much new information as possible. Even if your memory isn't great, you're going to retain a percentage of that and the more you try to learn, the more that's gonna stick. Always be trying to learn something, whether it's from a book or just from the situation you're in and then try like hell to make it stick.

>>37825355
By the internet definition, yes.
By the court psychiatrists' definition, some form of dissociative disorder or "unclassified psychiatric disorder."

>>37825356
Yes, motivation is HUGE. I know plenty of people who were dumb as rocks in school who could talk circles around me in their chosen professions because they actually gave a shit about learning that one thing and poured all of their energy into it.

>>37825539
If you mean not doing the work, I started working my ass off when I went to college.
I'm also aware that just having a good memory isn't enough for many things.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.