[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supplements general thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: 1467145570107.png (467 KB, 1754x2480) Image search: [Google]
1467145570107.png
467 KB, 1754x2480
So I wonder, could we have a general thread for all the supplements out there? But more in tune with cold, and brutal skepticism on their efficiency. Namely through

examine.com

The best supplements that can boost workout rates from non deficiency are:

>creatine (together with Beta-Alanine)
>caffeine

Most common deficiencies are

>vitamin d3 (because you fucks dont go out enough into the sunlight)
>zinc (you dont eat enough meats)

Anything to add to this anons?
>>
>>37814613
seriously though /fit/, looking through all the supplements. All the pills in fitness stores, all the preworkouts, post workouts. Going through the ingredients and I barely see any kind of differences in performance other than creatine and caffeine.

I challenge anyone on /fit/ to prove me wrong otherwise (beyond small increases below 3%)
>>
>>37814613
one bump for myself.
>>
>>37814613
PWO (Optional)
Carb Powder (Intra)
BCAA'S(Intra or Post)
Protein (Within 30min of Post)

That's all you need provided you have a good diet..
>>
>>37814613

>>zinc (you dont eat enough meats)

Or whole grains, or legumes, or pumpkin seeds. The only meat that's high in zinc is red meat, which you shouldn't eat much of anyway.
>>
>>37814613
That picture must be talking about social sciences. Because most of these points do not concern real scientific studies.
>>
Magnesium

I have been constipated constantly. Trying tons of different medications: Amatiza, Dulcolax, linzess and surfak.

Eating >50g of fiber per day.

None of it helped or just gave me diarrhea. Added in 400mg Magnesium taken twice per day (morning and before bed) now I am regular.
>>
>>37815130

It's spot-on for nutrition science.
>>
>>37815130
or clickbait articles talking about science.
>>
>>37815033
>muh anabolic window
>muh bcaas
back to bodybuilding.com faggot
>>
>>37815130
I went through most of them and most of them apply to many recent articles that I come across on nutrition. Almost no only social sciences with them. Its a pretty solid thing.

>>37815206
This too, I imagine that most supplements are a form of clickbait, making wild promises...that are basically based on nothing, on one of the errors on that picture.
>>
>>37815189
I wonder how many anons have a magnesium deficiency. I too take it but I take it because it is recommended as a runner. Most anons here are just pure weightlifting.
>>
Other than the usual, I take Spirulina,Ashwagandha, and cocoa powder, just recently bought green tea extract

blueberries and longans when they're in season, can't find a blueberry powder or pill that I trust, and I try to make some bean or avocado dip to mash a garlic clove into

All have articles on examine. If I had more money, I would take bcaas and fenugreek, add some psyllium husk to smoothies to replace chia seeds, pomegranate juice, and maybe more cherries in my diet

I wish there were more websites like ergolog and suppversity where people write up articles on studies gearing towards health and fitness
>>
>>37815620
the allure of examine.com is that it makes everything so easy, while still remaining mostly true.

I wonder how the older generation did all of this. How many different blogs, universities and favorite researchers they followed.

I just want one website for all of this crap. No disagreement or conflict. When there is doubt, everyone should just default to skepticism.
>>
>>37815211
Here's your (You) DYEL

>>>/lgbt/ is where you should be you fucking twink
>>
>>37815620
also shit,

suppversity seems like in the higher IQ range, more scientific terms and complicated explanations of everything than the rest.

I wonder if all the better looking people must have a high IQ, to understand all of this lore. I managed to get this far just mostly on beginner, to mediocre lore.
>>
>>37815620

>add some psyllium husk to smoothies to replace chia seeds

Did you type that backwards? Psyllium husk is just a fiber supplement, chia seeds have omega-3s and antioxidants in addition to fiber
>>
Vitamin D3, zinc, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil.
>>
>>37815871
>I care about antioxidants and omega 3s
>I make no distinctions between soluble and insoluble fiber.
>>
>>37815033
Yeah don't wanna miss dat 30 min post workout window. If you literally take it after 31 min the catabolic devil will rape you.
>>
>>37816037

Chia seeds have both
>>
>>37815715
>older generation
depends how old

the bodybuilders of old definitely died from experimental substances and people used to take all sorts of dangerous substances, and my sister literally bought snake oil so sellers gonna sell
>>
>>37815871
Honestly, you're not wrong, and I prob would use both if I had both, I'm just worried they might make the smoothies way more thicker combined

Chia has been getting much more cheaper, maybe I am getting them confused, last I checked psyllium was 20 bucks
>>
>>37815715
Well we have Dr.Oz :^)
>>
Apparently there isn't much evidence to support the use of fish oil pills.
It's a real BUMMER
>>
>>37815095
Zinc is only absorbed 30-50% or so from plant sources! Phytic acid in plants prevents full zinc absorption!
>>
>>37816863

Good thing you don't eat your lentils raw
>>
>>37816828
There is a big divide for the supplements, its called being deficient in something, or not.

if you are deficient. You are part of the majority of the population (because the majority of the population are fat, depressed slobs who dont exercise and eat like shit, so guess who most of this shit is marketed towards)

The research around the fish oil says the same. Those who are deficient will get huge benefits from the fish oil. Those who are not, will get no additional benefits.

Once you hit 100% of your optimal functioning, nothing much helps. Not nootropics, not supplements, not anything really.

But to become optimally functioning you need to learn how to eat, how to exercise. You will find out that many of the foods are different from 100 years ago. More poisonous in mercury (for fish), or worse hormones (for milk). And thus you may use supplement to avoid these foods. Or just because they are cheaper.

Still, isnt it pretty pathetic in what kind of world we live in? Where the majority of the products are made towards a failing in health population. A majority of products who do not even care to properly label themselves as uplifters to a long forgotten norm. To a time when men still were men, who had healthy hormones, and a healthy imperialistic mindset.

I hope that this planet gets washed away in nuclear warfare soon. We as humans have failed.
>>
>>37816922
that's ridiculous people are living so fucking long now a huge portion of our health care costs are spent caring for their decrepit asses. People are overall healthier now than at any time in human history. Yeah there are a bunch of fat asses but i HIGHLY doubt the proportional of people not getting all the necessary dietary supplements is worse than it used to be.
>>
>>37816922
so you're saying McDonald's should have grass fed meat and sardine fish sticks
>>
>>37817060
Living long does not mean that people are a healthy. Around 1 in 4 women are on anti depressants.

Obesity/overweightness is above 70% now and still rising. (children are also much more likely to die to it than their parents, and last year the very older ones already died to it, the average total age was decreasing...)

Children are doing less sports still and are happily following the trends of their parents in becoming fat.

The muscle mass of the children is also decreasing, compared to their parents.

Testosterone, the generational ones are decreasing as well.

The evidence is everywhere around you that its actually becoming worse. I hate optimists like you who live in this blissful happy bubble.
>>
>>37815033
How do I get protein within 30 minutes of post as well as creatine with maximum efficiency?

I literally puked last week doing two scoops of each in about 70 oz total of water.

Is my stomach just having trouble adjusting to bulking after I cut 245 to 160? (Im up to 170)
>>
>>37817148
Yeah well CRISPR is going through clinical trials and carbon nanotubes are becoming cheaper for nanobots

how's that for optomism
>>
>>37817353
>two fucking scoops
>too much
how about you just mix three scoops in Greek yogurt and eat that nonsense

yes it does adjust but you're also wasting mass capacity with fucking water
>>
>>37814613
It's always better to get D3 from food or supplements because of the skin cancer risk of sun exposure.

Biotin and folic acid are excellent for hair (head and body) growth.

K2 is good for your bones and cardiovascular health.
>>
>>37817843

>It's always better to get D3 from food or supplements because of the skin cancer risk of sun exposure.

Although it's easier to get optimal levels through sun exposure since your body's able to make exactly how much it needs. Sun exposure is also the best way to increase Coenzyme Q10 levels. A good 15 minutes at the right time of day maximizes health benefits and minimizes risks.

Folic acid supplements are also shit. Eat beans and greens instead.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?id=15467
>>
>>37816760
Underrated
>>
>>37816872
>phytate:zinc ratio of 19-28
sprouting them is a pain
>>
File: Topfaq.png (46 KB, 662x697) Image search: [Google]
Topfaq.png
46 KB, 662x697
kek
>>
>>37816872
how do I Best prepare lentils
I was gonna make lentil "meatballs"
>>
>>37818134
>Sun exposure is also the best way to increase Coenzyme Q10 levels.
wat
>>
>>37819437

CoQ10 is an enzyme with antioxidant properties that your body produces when sunlight penetrates your skin and interacts with the chlorophyll in your blood. Eating green veggies and then getting some sun increases CoQ10 levels.
>>
>>37814613

>Anything to add to this anons?

Fiber (because all you eat is meat, milk, and eggs and you think having some broccoli on the side is good enough)
>>
>>37819974
are you on crack m8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10#Biosynthesis
>>
>>37814681
Post-workout is supposed to be just easy-digested protein, possibly with some sugars. Food, like for example milk (if you can stomach it after squatting), does that well enough.
>>
>>37820419

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22928808
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24198392
>>
>>37820739
>http://jcs.biologists.org/content/127/2/388.long

one is behind a paywall, but link related is not. Still, seems legit, but a tl;dr?

So basically direct sunlight is extremely good for you? But to what can it be compared and can it be replaced with diet alone?
>>
>>37820810
oh wait

>Both increased sun exposure (Dhar and Lambert, 2013; John et al., 2004; Kent et al., 2013a; Kent et al., 2013b; Levandovski et al., 2013) and the consumption of green vegetables (Block et al., 1992; Ferruzzi and Blakeslee, 2007; van't Veer et al., 2000) are correlated with better overall health outcomes in a variety of diseases of aging. These benefits are commonly attributed to an increase in vitamin D from sunlight exposure and consumption of antioxidants from green vegetables. Our work suggests these explanations might be incomplete. Sunlight is the most abundant energy source on this planet. Throughout mammalian evolution, the internal organs of most animals, including humans, have been bathed in photonic energy from the sun. Do animals have metabolic pathways that enable them to take greater advantage of this abundant energy source? The demonstration that: (1) light-sensitive chlorophyll-type molecules are sequestered into animal tissues; (2) in the presence of the chlorophyll metabolite P-a, there is an increase in ATP in isolated animal mitochondria, tissue homogenates and in C. elegans, upon exposure to light of wavelengths absorbed by P-a; and (3) in the presence of P-a, light alters fundamental biology resulting in up to a 17% extension of life span in C. elegans suggests that, similarly to plants and photosynthetic organisms, animals also possess metabolic pathways to derive energy directly from sunlight. Additional studies should confirm these conclusions.

Neat
>>
>>37820823
>>37820810
>>37820739
so I wonder, should one of the supplements be

>the sun, for 15 minutes

can we get this in pill form? kek.
>>
Almost essential
>omega 3 if you dont eat enough fish
>vitamin d3
> whey( cheap and fast protein) it have more leucine than meat.
>creatine is a must 3 grams a day 4ever
>multi if you dont eat enough vegetables
>zinc
not essential
>beta alanine
>citrulline malate
both for preworkout
>hmb
and a lot more,just follow a diet and take the supplement that you need..
>>
From reading a lot of scientific stuff over the years on workout supplements, here's what I ended up taking - which is what about 99% of people probably already know:

>creatine
>beta alanine
>whey powder
>zma (deficient in both)
>multi-vit (probably not necessary but whatever)
>>
>>37820810
http://sci-hub.bz/
free articles
support the cause
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.