[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: image.jpg (244 KB, 700x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244 KB, 700x392
Running thread, all types of running welcome. Shoes, gear, technique and more.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Also, what new shoes do fellow 5-10k runners recommend? Looking to get a new pair soon. These are the Nike Zoom Vomero 10s. Looked into getting the Pegasus, any suggestions?
>>
Am I gonna fuck my shit up by running 10k three times a week (Tues, Thur, Sat)? MWF I lift weights and run a mile or two on the treadmill and currently run 10k on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Would the extra run on Saturday not be sustainable? Still learning a lot about running.
>>
>>37742244
You can work up to it, certainly. I know people running 80-100 miles a week. Make sure you sleep and eat enough.
>>
I keep getting a pain in the left side of my neck everytime I run, halp
>>
>>37742258
Whoa, I can't imagine hitting that mileage. Thanks though, gonna try easing into it this Saturday then.
>>
>>37742259
Try to improve your posture, friendo.
>>
>>37742234
Personally I'm not a fan of Nike running shoes. I prefer Brooks or Saucony since they specialize in running shoes. Nike obviously does all kinds of sports. I would go to a running store and have them examine your pronation and form. From there they can suggest what type of shoe you need. Then you can go online and buy last year's model since all they do is add pretty colors.
I prefer Saucony Kimvaras.
And I can't remember the name, but I run races, and trail races, in black Mizuno shoes. They're orange and black. Kind of ugly but nice.
>>
>>37742297

in what way? I assume my shoulders are too tight or something but if I leave them loose it still hurts, I'm thinking of going to the local running club and see what they can do for me
>>
>>37742244
You should be going for time and consistency when you start running, not mileage. 10k is 6.2 miles, but that doesn't matter much if you can't run at a consistent pace and fast. Aim to keep your heart rate up consistently DAILY. Not three days a week with 18 miles total.
>>
>>37742234
Brooks shoes are best shoes. This is the model I utilize.
http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-beast-14-running-shoes/110171.html
>>
>>37742307
>>37742332
Thanks brehs
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 600x480
>>37742244
Just me, try to run at six miles per hour at first. That's a easy 10 minute mile that won't kill you...unless you suck.
>>
>>37742354
Too slow famalamadingdong.
>>
>>37742331
It depends on goals, really. If he or she wants to run further and casually, then adding mileage is the way to go. Along the way, interval training, tempo runs, repeats, etc. will be necessary to keep up, maybe. Running competitively, then yes, he or she might want to run at a consistent, fast race pace and improve from there. That's how we train at cross country. But for a casual runner looking to increase only mileage, then running further is going to be the best way to do so.
>>
I've finally decided to lose weight, but I weigh 100kg and the last time I went running I got shin splints. Should I use a bike at the gym, or invest in decent shoes?
>>
>>37742412
Invest in good, quality running shoes and fix your form. Make sure to stretch, foam roll, and all that good jazz.
>>
>>37742184
Is running worth it bros?

I run about 2 miles/day 5 days a week since I don't want to buy a $300 parking pass from my school. Also, waiting for a parking spot takes fucking forever, so it saves time for me just to park off campus then jog to class.

I used to do cross country back in HS but all it did was make me dyel
>>
I started doing HIIT a few months ago and it's fucking ridiculous how much more endurance I have.

I never even noticed until I started swimming laps. When I swam 3x a week a couple years ago I was fucking panting and dying at 500m. Now I can go 1km+ no fucking problem, and I haven't swam in years.

Just crazy.
>>
>>37742385
I'm in cross country as well so that's how I train, that's the way to train for the fastest results.
>>
>>37742382
Then do a 8 minute mile, right now I'm sitting at a 14:38 two mile. So a little over 7:19 mile and I want to drop it to a solid 7 minute mile. With full kit and a rifle I've got a 10 minute mile (Aprox).
>>
>>37742184
I've recently started doing squats, and my legs are killing me on the days after, which I usually run on. Should I not run at all after leg days or is it okay to still run?
>>
>>37742446
I run and lift. People think I'm shredded when I'm shirtless.
With a good diet, smart programming, stretching/mobility, you can combine lifting and running.
However, I don't run long distances anymore. After XC, I switched to HIIT at the track twice a week.
I would say it's worth it since the heart is the most important muscle in the body.
If running scares you, do biking or swimming.
>>
>>37742412
Shin splints come from too much running or inexperienced running. Even skinny people get shin splints, I had them when I started cross country in high school. They go away eventually after you train daily and lose weight too. Get fitted with actual running shoes by a professional. You're just gonna have to run through those shin splints, running is pain. If you aren't uncomfortable you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>37742446
Yeah imo its worth it. I'm a lean build runner though, I don't do marathons, I run 5ks and 10ks and at most half marathons.
>>
I weigh 110 lbs at 5'9. I'm a complete skelly above the belt, but what little fat I do have is all in my thighs and butt. Should I do running and eating at a deficit until I cut down on that body fat before bulking up and lifting?
>>
>>37742466
>1km+ no problem
M8...running distance will do that too. That's less than a warm up for most.
>>
>>37742573
I'm not saying I'm swimming some really far amount. I'm more commenting on where I am now vs where I am before. I've only gone swimming twice now in my current routine, and both times it was right before the pool closed. I got to 1km, which was hard for me before, so I haven't tested what my upper limit is right now.

Of course I'm just in general much better shape than I was in 2013, so that could be factor, but my whole life my endurance has been total shit so it's really cool to not have that problem now.

And yes, obviously long distance running will do that too. What's cool to me is that I was skeptical that HIIT was just a meme, but doing high intensity shit for 20 minutes really did have a noticeable effect on my endurance.
>>
>>37742499
Stats and lifts?
>>
I can run a sub 17:00min 5k and my squat is shit.
I'm 5'10" 161lbs and I squat 245 3x5
Does running have no correlation with squat?
>>
anyone got a proper running form infographic?
>>
>>37742724
Not an infograph but a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo
Can't link the the other vid right now, but it explains two types of runners, gazelles and gliders.
>>
>>37742752
thanks
>>
>>37742683
5'11 168 lb 19 years old
I'm not even that big, honestly, and neither are my lifts. Never used a strength routine but just been doing PPL for about 5 months. I've hopped onto a more logical linear progression PPL about two weeks ago to get my numbers up, however.
5x5 stats:

200 bench
125 OHP
200 squat (previously torn sartorius and can't squat too much)
315 deadlift (1x5)

It goes to show what it takes to be "shredded." But I don't care much for my lifts. I care more about physique and being lean and running. I would like to focus on triathlons following college.
>>
>>37742720
You're training slow twitch muscle fibers when running long (relative) distances. Squats train fast twitch muscle fibers. The correlation between running and squats should be negative for this reason. You can still train both, and be reasonably strong and a reasonably good runner (soccer players), but in order to optimize one or the other, you would need to pick one
>>
how often do you guys change your running shoes? iv had mine about a year and a half using them maybe 3 times a week on treadmill. they still feel good, is it time for a new pair?
>>
>>37743063
Depends on your mileage. Running 40-50 miles a week will be 4-6 months
>>
>>37742834
Makes sense. How come my squat goes up or down while running? Is it because of fatigue? It goes from 245 for 3x5 to 205 to 225 for 3x3-5
>>
>>37742720
Another Anon stated it, fast/slow twitch muscles.
However I'll add, yes they do work together though. People that never do cardio or repetitive workouts (calf raises) have an imbalance in their muscles.
People that do a lot of circuit training usually have equally strong fast/slow muscle growth, they also tend to have a much more cut or aesthetic look because their muscles are larger all around (opposed to just people who lift heavy weights and than take breaks) who have big arms, but they look like shit.

Slow twitch muscles can help with stabilization during power muscle exercises and can help you begin to do your heavier weights at a faster speed.
>>
I been thinking of getting into barefoot running... am I making a bad choice or not?
>>
Whenever I run my nuts start to hurt

Feels like their pushing themselves back up inside of me, dosnt go away until aftrr ive finished running
>>
>>37743333
That's natural, any exercise that causes the heart to pump at an abnormal level forces muscles within your groin to tighten.
One set pulls the testicles up towards your body, this is to keep them safe and not dangling.
The other pinches off your dick and redirects blood back towards the body.
Your dick shrivels up slightly (looks a little pale) which is also a safety method.

There are also parts of your toes, arms, and even a portion of your brain that gets limited blood flow.
So if your toes ever go numb during a run, that's why.
To relax said muscles as quickly as possible do hip flexor/groin stretches and when you're alone lightly rub the inside of your thighs and gooch, will stimulate blood flow.
>>
>>37742506
I thought you were supposed to wait for shin splints to heal. Aren't they like micro fractures in your muscle and bone? How is more running going to help that?
>>
>>37743373
Thanks man, appreciate it
>>
>>37742354
lmao cav scouts

So bad ass they have to compare themselves to the infantry at every turn
>>
>>37743211
>>37743279
Can you explain why my squat goes up or down while running? I run 40-50 miles a week and lots of hills since it's trail running.
I'm doing SS, but it's hard to do it with my squat numbers not being steady. I'm going to cut to 150 for an upcoming run soon.
My Deadlift stays the same though 325 for 1x5.
>>
>>37743333
work on hamstring and adductor flexibility. Look up frog stretch.
>>
>>37743503
Fatigue. If you're muscles are not fully recovered from a demanding run, you're squat will suffer. You may also be low on glycogen for a day or two after a long run if you aren't eating enough. This will also cause your lifts to suffer. Honestly, that's a lot of running to be able to make steady gains.
>>
>>37743503
Also, it hurts my ego.
I was thinking of squatting everyday to grease the groove, and ingraine my squat technique
>>
This seems like a good place to ask this. I pretty much never do serious cardio, but two weeks ago I went for a 6km run. It wasn't over rough terrain and I didn't go terribly fast either, but the next day I felt pain in the sole/outer side of my left foot. Two days later I was walking around town and was limping because it had gotten pretty damn uncomfortable, not extremely painful or anything but definitely enough to make me worried. Also the pain only flares up when I actually walk. Standing still or walking on my tiptoes is no problem. It has been almost two weeks now and the pain has gotten better but not disappeared completely, largely due to the fact that I have been mostly sitting on my ass the whole time.
Any ideas what could have happened? I'm not a fattie and consider myself decently fit, and have never had issues like this when running before.
>>
>>37743541
Meant to post that to you.
I shouldn't expect much gains while doing that?
I don't want to have an imbalanced upper body because I can do 70lb chin up 3x5 and 60lb dips 3x5 and end up having small legs.
Also, it hurts my ego with my squat going up and down and not my deadlift
I was thinking of squatting everyday to grease the groove, and ingraine my squat technique. Would that be a good idea? I did that for pullups when I was a noob at them.
>>
I run for 4 months straight with out a problem then all of sudden bam IT band starts acting up. Stop running now it has been three months since I have ran. This has happened to me twice now. Any reason?
>>
>>37742481
You're just feeling DOMS which will go away after your body becomes more accustomed to lifting. Just give it a few workouts
>>
>>37743427
NP, if it is causing you physical pain.
Check it next time, are your balls extra sensitive or seem abnormal?
Don't get it in your head that something is wrong right off the bat, it's our dick and balls. As men we generally assume the worst like a pimple on your balls becoming genital herpes (when you obviously couldn't of gotten genital herpes) just cop a feel, if it seems abnormal ice it and see if that helps reduce swelling or pain.
>note when icing your balls double wrap that shit in a shirt or pillow case it should feel cool but not cold like when you regularly ice something cold is not good
ive had it happen before where running for some reason irritated my balls possibly from heat or chaffing of legs.
GLHF Anon

>>37743503
Hills are considered HIIT and while you might consider your run to be SS cardio, hill training is more akin to sprints, it's a lifting of your entire body via your legs. It's pretty much really fast paced squats. I'd assume your squat if suffering because the muscle groups while not entirely the same, share some of the same muscles in the movements.
To keep things more stabilized I suggest doing what I do.
Which is front load all leg workouts
Mondays I do squats, leg presses.
Tue I run SS, no hills, decent distance.
Thur I do Slow twitch workouts (calf raises, iron mikes) both weighted and body weight, the weighted is purely for stabilizer groups, the body weight is all about high reps which gives you sick calfs.
Fri I run sprints and hills which involves a lot of slow twitch muscles because of the ability to either push yourself extremely fast or move your body weight up something.

Your workouts need to be spread out like that.
If not you will burn out super fast, cardio is a lot more punishing in my opinion than lifting.
I'm pretty high, so I wish I could give you more advice on it, but just take with it that in the cardio world, generally getting your heavy lifting out of the way is better.
>>
File: 1423715659271.png (91 KB, 197x199) Image search: [Google]
1423715659271.png
91 KB, 197x199
>try running in my neighbourhood
>asshole white trash neighbours let their dog loose
>chases me everytime

I swear to God, I'm going to curbstomp that fucking thing if it ever bites me.
>>
Is a flipbelt a good investment if I want to carry my phone, headphones, and wallet with me when I run?
>>
Hey /fit/ I'm kind of a bigguy and I want to get off my ass and begin hitting the gym. What's a good shoe for someone who wants to begin jogging from basically couch to 5k and is also flat-footed but doesn't want to spend $200 on shoes?
>>
>>37743629
How's your flexibility and mobility?
>>
>>37742184
>Trail running

Cardio I enjoy.
Dry here so I hopped around the roots in a dried out riverbed. Variety of terrain and elevation. And it's fun to do some sprints on trails too.
>>
>>37742412
Pick up a towel with your toes for 20 reps three times a week. Focus on using the front of your calves (if that makes any sense).

Best cure for running woes is more runnings.
>>
I have a question...how hard is it for the average runner to Boston qualify? And how long would it take to build up to a marathon, then build up to a BQ marathon? I can run a half, and I'm training for a full.
>>
>>37743944
Senpai for running shoes that will work you need to spend $130+ That's for everyone, not just flat footed people.
>>
>>37744012
Massachusetts sucks dick, NH is the best
>>
>>37742412
Do. Not. Run. Through. Shinsplints.
It gets worse untill you limp while walking. I got them a bunch when I first started running. Each time I had to take about a month off before they didn't hurt anymore. What fixed it for me was a slow build up of mileage and I swear by running on the balls of your feet. (no healstriking)
>>
File: howworks3.gif (13 KB, 448x257) Image search: [Google]
howworks3.gif
13 KB, 448x257
>>37743934
You really need to get better at dealing with dogs Anon, but in reality.
If it chases you again, aim a kick right where it's shoulders and neck meet. It's center of gravity is around this area and it will send the dog spinning.
>pic related
Note the house number, call the local sheriff.
Roads and any side walk directly parallel to a road is public property, the dog is off its leash and considered at large which is illegal in most states.

I honestly learn each dog in areas I run and deal with them accordingly, two black dogs always try to chase me just slow down to a light jog and tell them flat out "stay there" make eye contact, if they move I tell them to "get", and than I move on.
Pretty loveable Lab named Gunner though that's too stupid to listen to me, so I made friends. Stupid dog now goes on runs with me, get back to my home. Pat him twice and tell him goodbye.
He just walks home.
>>
>>37742412
Squats helped me not get shin splints. Go deep
>>
>>37744072
FUCKING RETARD LMAO. Shin splints aren't injury, and running on the balls of your feet isn't some special technique, it's what you're always supposed to do. You gradually increase mileage but shin splints are an injury. Get that through your head. Your month off was a waste and any coach or physical therapist would say the same thing.
>>
>>37742550
Personal opinion, go ahead and bulk. I understand there is no such thing as spot reduction, but running does improve leg muscle (biking is better) and you can "spot reduce" fat by putting muscle underneath it, which makes it seem less obvious.
>>
Any night runners here? I need a recommendation on a new flash light to take with me. I'm looking for someone handheld since headlamps are annoying.
>>
Just started c25k (week 3). I'm dieing in this heat. I run in sweat pants, boxers, and a cotton undershirt. When I'm done I'm just waited down by my cloths. What clothing choices should I buy?

Thank you for helping a new runbro
>>
So I got bit by the running bug, and have been slowly upping my mileage. I love the way it makes me feel and look and I've fallen in love with it.

Thing is, I think I've got a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. I've got all the symptoms (sharp pain right above heel, mostly in morning or after sitting for a while). I've looked at some stretches and other stuff online...anyone have experience with it? I think the worst part is not being able to run, I miss it :(
>>
>>37743901
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to spread my workouts.
Is it possible to grease the groove with squats like pull ups?
>>
>>37744104
"Shin splints aren't injury..."
"...but shin splints are an injury."
Help me understand what you meant here.
>>
>>37744184
Try walking instead until you are able to run again
>>
Triathlon master race here.. Hoka One One Clifton 3's drop on Friday! Standing by waiting to order.

Hitting around 30ish miles a week..need to step my run distances up a bit.
>>
File: 1447795744511.jpg (289 KB, 950x632) Image search: [Google]
1447795744511.jpg
289 KB, 950x632
>>37742184
5k: 18 minutes
10k: 40 minutes
Mile:4:43
Balanced with a 305 bench and 7:05 500 CSS swim and a 23 point 50 free
My #1 tip: Eat like a motherfucker. If your on the computer, at work, reading, whatever, snack like crazy. I eat around 8000 calories per day and im gaining muscle very slowly with almost no fat gain. Running a 10k and swimming for an hour each day burns an insane amount of calories. Eat big to keep those lfis up
>>
File: funny_cute_corgi_photographer.jpg (99 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
funny_cute_corgi_photographer.jpg
99 KB, 600x422
>>37743568
General rule of running.
Build up to your:
Time goal
Distance goal
Speed goal

Jumping up to a huge milestone is how you get injured and set back 3/4 weeks for recovery

After 5 years of running I've built up to 10 mile jogs comfortably without bullshit speed for maybe 2 or 3 times a week
>>
>>37744040
That isn't.... too bad... Any recommendations though?
>>
>>37744232
Aren't* sorry autocorrect. On my phone. They aren't an injury.
>>
>>37744276
See >>37742307
>>
>>37744263
Same guy here. Running can be absolutely terrible and also best thing you'll ever do in life.

Running on a treadmill breathing in people's smelly breath is awful but running out doors early in the morning, experiencing nature, enjoying the scenery, feeling a crisp breeze in your cheeks is a dream you can experience every day of your life. Think about how much you'll miss running when you turn older. Or just appreciate the movements paraplegics will never experience again. Running is freedom. Running is amazing. Don't miss out on this experience
>>
>>37744228
Leg press Anon.
It's not greater than squat because it doesn't work out nearly as much, but it's on par with squat because you can press so much more weight.
If you need to focus entirely on keeping your legs big, switch to leg press. You can pretty much do this whenever you want also as I've found it matters little day before or after I run.
Squats matter a lot for me though.
>>
>>37744237

Even walking hurts...I bought some heel support insoles, and they help a bit, but it's been 2 weeks and no real progress.
>>
>>37744285
>>37744285
Gotcha, however I never described shinsplints as an injury. Jury's out on what it really is, but from what I know they do get worse when you try to run through them and the best way to get rid of them is to stop running/decrease mileage. I'll admit, the reason I said don't run through them is from repeatedly trying to run through them only to have it get worse, so it could just be a personal thing. However the idea of stop running or decrease mileage is pretty common knowledge.
>>
>>37742506
Sports physician here. You are an idiot. This is why you shouldn't listen to medical advice on 4chan holy shit. If you get shin splints, follow active rehabilitation. Anything that doesn't hurt - do it. Anything that does - stay away from it. Someone mentioned here picking up a towel with your toes which is great. Also standing on a balance ball for 1 minute on each leg 3 times will make your lower extremities in your feet and upper ankle very strong which is great rehab for shin splints. Stretch and foam roll your calves a lot and apply heat to the area a lot. Also get orthotics and some good quality running shoes, I like asics keyano's (not sure about the spelling on those)
>>
>>37744471
Hmmm...funny because I ran through it and it fixed itself...like all my running injuries. I listen to my coaches and physical therapists Internet "sports physician". Explain?
>>
>>37743333
If you happen to be running in boxers + basketball shorts you are doing it wrong. buying running shorts with liner on the inside for securing your goods might help.
>>
>>37744459
Get better shoes and form famalam.
>>
>>37744175
Singlets/topless and 1inch inseam shorts or amazons seobeans running shorts (show off glutes)
You gotta have people mirin
>>
File: 1464400748569.gif (109 KB, 354x369) Image search: [Google]
1464400748569.gif
109 KB, 354x369
>>37744527
Thanks
>>
>>37744335
>20:08:41
Thanks bro.
What about glutes? I like my bf miring my glutes. No homo
>>
>>37743606
No, we just said the problem is fatigue. Squatting more will give your body less time to recover. If anything squat less. My suggestion is you stop SS and start doing a PLP routine. Schedule your leg day at least two days after a run. Don't run for those two days, and eat big to get big. You should be recovered by leg day. Run on your other lifting days and even after your lifts on leg day if you have to, but give yourself time to recover before squatting.
>>
I need motivation to pick up running.

Not some shitty picture with Bruce Lee in the background with "inspirational" text, but maybe a long list of positives to cardio training. Or just your own success stories.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>37744600
I run everyday except Sundays usually 8-9miles a day and all of those include long inclines of hills. I don't plan on bulking because I want to stay the same weight for races but I eat enough to stay at maintenance.
Can't I keep squatting for strength instead since it is all motor pattern?
>>
>>37744250
What the crap. Miring.
How long have you been lifting? And your stats?
How is your mile time so fast, but you can't run a 5k sub 15:00 are you heavy/do track?
>>
Cyclist here!
Running is for faggots!

*farts*
>>
>>37744596
The only differences between the leg press and squats are the lack of stress on the back and knees and the fact you aren't working out stabilizers nearly as much on the leg press.
I had to look it up to double check, think the same problems with bench press using the incline machine.
As far as muscle mass goes, it's the same, but actual strength it's a little bit less controlled.
That's fine though because you should easily move to 4pl8 leg press within a few months time, I skipped 2, went to 3, and after only a month at 3 with some different variables I jumped straight to 4 and than had to do linear progression again.
You can make your glutes look bigger and more "toned" by doing iron mikes (walking lunge). It's actually a lot more effective for butt development than squats or any of Trappy's plans.
The reason for this is a much broader range of motion in the walking lunge, the glutes are also mainly slow twitch muscles (meaning you build more muscle by repetitive motion) so doing one hundred on each side will easily build up your ass much faster than squats and give it a much rounder juicier appearance.
The glutes do have some fast twitch muscles in there, so weight lifting is helpful for the whole thing, but not nearly as the cardio side of it.
I suggest trying leg press. With a 5x10 walking lunge, and 5x10 body squat circuit on a different day. Keep your leg press and big weight exercises at the start of your week, do your usual cardio and than do the body weight circuit training near the end.
>>
>>37744545
Until you get a good pair of running shorts. You will know freedom.
Just don't be fat if you're going topless or wearing very short inseam shorts.
If you are fat wear 5in. You can purchase these at Marshall's or tjmaxx very cheap
You can also buy singlets from Marshall's tjmaxx and target
Sky's out Thighs out
>>
>>37744852
Holy shit how much fucking broscience can one post have.

If you want big glutes, look up bret Contreras t-nation post. Hes a literal expert on glute training.
>>
>>37744852
Thanks for all the tips. I will try them.
Also, I have never done leg presses, but the consensus is to not lock out the knees and have a slight bend to them?
>>
>>37744906
Basically its just Bulgarian split squats, rdls and hip thrusts? I saw his "glutes goddess program? " as your main workout?
>>
File: 974984165813.jpg (46 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
974984165813.jpg
46 KB, 600x449
Does anyone here prefer the jump rope over running? I'm thinking about picking it up and doing some HIIT sessions in place of my running.
>>
>>37742184
I can run a 5 min/mile, but I struggle to run an 8 min/mile for 2.5 miles.

Should I run longer distances if I want to get better at the mile, or is it not a problem? I'm only doing interval work at this point.
>>
>>37745105
Increase your mileage. You probably don't have the endurance to keep up that pace for it. Or just keep doing your HIIT, different goals for everyone
>>
>>37744751
Sorry about late response, my friends just showed up out of the blue and we got 150 chicken nuggets at BK.
Fucking cheap as shit. I wonder what those things are.
Ive been lifting for 1.5 years, but I took 4 months off to focus on swimming. I started with like a 125 bench, Idk why it went up so fast. My DL was at 430 and my squat was at 345 6 months ago when I quit lifting lower to improve running. Im currently 6'3 205 lbs.
My mile and 5k are actually pretty proportional. You cant run at a mile pace for a whole 5k, so it slows down a lot. a 5k adds 30 seconds to a minute onto each mile just because of the distance increase.
>>
>>37744942

Jumping rope is awesome.
>started out wanting to run
>went ham on the POSE
>knees started to hurt. fat. unconditioned
>stopped running
>decided to take up jumping rope to improve my shit
>shit got better
>>
I am going to go for a run right meow. I just did some fat guy lifts (arms, chest, crunches then plank) 5'9 195 chub fucker. Full lap around school, will post when I return, not that it matters. But I will.
>>
>>37745152
Well I do become very tired when I'm running the mile, but my heartrate never goes above 165. This is in contast with longer distances wherein it will peak at 190.

Does that sound like an endurace problem? I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>37745208
*an endurance problem for the 1 mile distance?
>>
Haven't ran since High school, this thread inspired me to go jogging

Just got back from 1.5 mile run like 3 minutes ago, it took like 10 minutes
I have a really strong cardiovascular system from swimming and running, but can anyone gimme a quick running dynamic/static stretching routine for before and after?
My cardio system is already gold, but it will take a while for my musculoskeletal system to catch up, so I don't wanna pull something in the mean time
>>
>>37745161
Oh okay. Yeah you weigh a lot. Still impressive tho. My mile time is similar to yours 4:49 and my 5k is sub 16:30. You should cut some more and you'll be more of a beast.
>>
>>37745226
Google Molding mobility and starting mobility. Can't link them since I'm on mobile
>>
>>37744906
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it broscience Anon.
Glutes are dominantly slow twitch, they respond better to repetition than weight.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/muscle-specific-hypertrophy-biceps-back-and-lower-body
It's factual.

>>37744911
Pretty much, I mean when you get to heavier weights you'll be pushing pretty hard and will probably lock out your knees a few time.
>>
>>37745230
You should have a faster mile with that 5k.
The mile is just a sprint, remember that.
>>
>>37745226
Honestly, you can simply figure it out on your own. That's what I did. Just stretch what seems to need stretching.
>standing with knees locked - touch the floor
>standing - bring foot to buttocks (do left and right foot)
>sitting down - stretch out one foot and touch it, then do the same with the other
>sitting down - push feet together and touch the floor with your head
>on back - bring knee to chest with other foot straight out, then repeat with other knee
>lunging pose - go down on one knee and lunge forward (repeat with opposite leg)
-grasp your hands together behind your back, one hand over the shoulder, the other behind your back (repeat with opposite hand)
>>
>>37744906

Bret Contreras' entire website is based around talking about how great the hip thrust is, and selling...you guessed it! Bret Contreras' Hip Thrusting Machine!!!
>>
I recently started running and the past few days I haven't been able to, I get an intense pain on the front of my ankle when I run and it hurts too much to run, I did have shin splints but they passed but this is really bugging me, not sure what to do. Been resting for roughly 5 days now. Anyone experienced this before?
>>
>>37745349
How far have you been running?
>>
>>37745182
I'm fat.. I mean back. Idk time, but just over 1.4 miles total, walkan and running, with a prior motorcycle injury.
>>
>>37745380
I run in a circle probably not even a mile and I run quickly, I run 2 city blocks and then walk for 1 on and off
>>
>>37745397
I'm a chief specialist in internal medicine at Mercy Medical Center.

Sorry to say this, but shin splints can uncover a n abundance of previously hidden illnesses. I can conclusively say that you likely have grade III osteocytoma of the fascial tibia. This has shown up in several young patients that I've treated over the years. Get an MRI fast.
>>
>>37745266
What time should I have? I input my numbers at runners world and I run a 5:09 pace for 3.2miles
>>
>>37745453
>>37745397
Kek.
Pick up running slowly like you do with lifting or it will be snap city soon
>>
>>37742354

"If you ain't cav, you ain't shit."

So does that mean that if you ARE cav, that you ARE shit?
>>
>>37745453
thanks doc but I'd rather try sucking the tumor out with a straw, I don't trust my oncologist, he's a shill
>>37745518
How slow are we talking? Should I just do like 5 minutes of light jogging and then bump up 1 minute everyday?
>>
>>37745545
Do whatever feels comfortable. As long as you don't get shin splints again
>>
>>37745559
Thanks anon
>>
>>37745559
Also, do couch to 5k if you can't run a 5k without stopping
>>
>>37743466
just one of the first pics i found on my phone.
>>
>>37745545
when I first started running I was fairly healthy, so I just ran 1 mile three times a week. That;s like 25-30 minutes of running for a fairly healthy man, but a really good place to start. Keep running that 1 mile till you get it to like 7 minutes, then go to 1.5 or 2 miles.

But DO NOT have the go hard or go home mentality like I did, I thought I was young and invisible (still do) and I suffered major inflammation in my gluteus minimus from overuse, IE, going too hard too fast. I had to take Naproxen for like 6 months and no exercise. Which brings me to another important point: STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER
>>
>>37745648
Please don't listen to this dude. Do not stretch before.
At least warm up with dynamic stretches and not static stretches
>>
>>37745519
it means if your anit cav you are nothing important, combat arms that are not cav or armor are less then useless.
>>
>>37743299
I run in fivefingers and live it. To each their own, but I'd say def try it
>>
>>37743299
Ease into it. Go on walks barefoot to build up some calluses and to get your feet use to not wearing shoes. Even if you are planning on only running on grass.
Barefoot running is amazing once you get into it though.
>>37745697
Is there a more autistic shoe than those?
>>
>>37745685
Being in a tank vs sandniggers if safer than being a pog on a fob. At least they can get hit with mortars or trip while walking out of their trailer as a fob pog.

Also, cavs are literally useless these days when we have drones who do their job way more effectively and efficiently. That's why they always say shit like "we're basically infantry"
>>
>>37744942
I do jump rope for my HIIT sessions, but I still run three or four times a week. Shit is based at getting my heart rate up.
>>
>>37745825
Get your /pol out of this only normie thread on /fit
Cardio=normie
>>
File: 1467014122901.png (611 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1467014122901.png
611 KB, 699x699
Am I the only one that feels absolutely exhausted and sleepy after running in the morning? It just uses up all of my energy, making even evening lifts a chore.
>>
>>37742284

Just for perspective, some of the top runners in the world hit 200+ per week
>>
>>37742803

Good luck bud! The nice thing about triathlons is that you get better at them as you get older
>>
>>37746601
Wow. Can u post their calves?
My calves started growing after several months of running and Hill running
>>
>>37745920
EAT MORE
A
T

M
O
R
E
>>
I started running and did 2km in 10 mins

How good/bad is that and what should I be aiming for?
>>
What is the right breathing technique?
I always force myself to only breathe through my nose since it's the natural way to breathe and I feel like it's healthier.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 236x236
>>37746621

They're calves aren't really that great, but that's cuz they look like they're starving

>Pic related is Dennis Kimetto (and friends) the current marathon record holder
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 654x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 654x463
>>37746621

I'm gonna add Meb too because he's a personal hero of mine, he looks more normal
>>
>>37742234
> nikes for serious running
> ever
>>
>>37746635
5min/km is pretty good for beginners
but you should run for a longer period of time and longer distance in general and see if you can hold that time

>>37746662
Breathing rythm is very individual.
I personally breath in through my nose for three steps and breath out through my mouth for two steps.
Whatever feels best is probably the right way.
>>
>>37746662

Are you sprinting or distance? Because breathing through your nose is fine for sprints, but not so much for distance. The sheer amount of oxygen you get per breath is less if you breathe through your nose than if you breathe through your mouth. This means if you really start to push yourself hard in a distance race, you'll pass out if you only breathe through your nose.

On the other hand, if you're just training and building up endurance you should be fine.
>>
so i started c25k last year and did that and then i started running pretty consistently but january i got hurt my knee. it's only been the past few months when i've gotten back into running seriously

atm, i run 10k three times a week and i take exactly 1 hour or just under 1 hour so basically i run a 10 minute mile.

how do i get faster? i don't really understand much about running. should i run shorter distances now but try to aim for that to be faster than build up to running fast over a longer distance?

also one thing, my calves always feel a bit sore the day after i run. i thought it was doms but it happens pretty regularly now. it's not as sore now as it was a few weeks ago but i still get a tight feeling. what do
>>
>>37746624
C U T T I N G
U
T
T
I
N
G
>>
I need advice mixing running and lifting. Everywhere I've looked has said it's not possible???
>>
File: mo and galen.jpg (155 KB, 736x744) Image search: [Google]
mo and galen.jpg
155 KB, 736x744
>>37746697
the fuck do you know about "serious running"?
>>
File: 1452085210775.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1452085210775.png
440 KB, 645x1260
>finally get off my arse and do c25k
>get up to 5k, feel on top of the world
>thinking about pushing it to 10k
>give up around winter exams, start smoking again
>haven't run since
>try to run a 5k yesterday
>got to 2.5k and nearly threw up

I've failed you lads
>>
Is it bad to take like 30 seconds break during jogging?

I get insane nausea if I run for too long, regardless of pulse / fatigue, so I have to stop, let the nausea pass and continue on.
>>
File: BIG.png (537 KB, 574x695) Image search: [Google]
BIG.png
537 KB, 574x695
>>37742184
What are you running from?

Me? :)
>>
>>37748135
>advice mixing running and lifting. Everywhere I've looked has said it's not possible???

Yes it is.

Some days lift, some days run. The problem is reaching maximal performance in both concurrently.
>>
File: runners.jpg (17 KB, 600x364) Image search: [Google]
runners.jpg
17 KB, 600x364
I run six days a week (Mon-Sat) and I'm looking to start lifting just to supplement that. What do I need to know? I looked at the sticky and the beginners' 5x5 routine seems appealing, though really any of the beginner's routine look fine to me.
Basically, do I need to do anything special to
1) keep me from injuring myself
2) keep me from overworking myself
3) not bulk up too much and lose a runner's physique?
>>
File: 1462115991480.png (357 KB, 542x416) Image search: [Google]
1462115991480.png
357 KB, 542x416
>>37748724
they look fresh out of store, do you know what a sponsorship is?
>>
>>37742315
Breathe with your diaphragm, relax your shoulders (dont hunch, but dont run with your chest puffed out)
>>
>>37743374
IIRC, its pain from the tendon running down your shin because of under/improper usage.
>>
>>37749869
desu he would only need to walk at a fast pace from you
>>
>>37743901
How do calf raises affect your running? Whenever I do calf raises, my calves always get tight when I run. I normally do anywhere from 8-20 reps of standing and seated. I stopped, and have started 5x3 heavy calf raises daily. They don't make my calves tight when I run, but I don't think I am getting enough volume.
>>
I'm doing SS, but I want to add cardio for health purposes.

What should I do to achieve the health benefits, but without affecting my weight training too much?
>>
>>37750722
1) Eat enough
2) Eat enough
3) but don't eat too much
>>
>all types of running welcome
I just ran back and forth in my garden 20 times. A conservative estimate of 1 trip back and forth is 40 meters so that is a ½ mile jog.

>Shoes
just socks, the ground is dry so it doesn't matter

>gear
bottle of water, ¼ bottle of pepsi max, a cube puzzle game to play while I rest, ear protectors because the birds are too high pitched and loud and a hat for sun protection, everything but the hat was placed on a table

>technique
every time I stop and turn around I look at my feet to make sure I passed the finishing line, on one side of the garden it is a patio slab I have to be standing on, on the other I placed a canada leaf and I imagine a line sticking out from it that I have to have crossed

on corners I land flat footed for grip to prevent slipping, going up hill I reduce my step distance. I go lightly at first but later I am planning to burn it to begin with to get my heart rate and breathing up sooner.

>and more
I prefer doing it in the garden because if I need to poop or any other problem I can just stop and go to the toilet, whereas otherwise I would be in public and have no recourse
>>
What's the best motivation for you or how did you make running into a daily/weekly routine?

>ran 20k every two weeks
>lost some motivation
>now 10k every few weeks
>want to run full marathon in ocotber
>can't find much motivation
>>
>>37751097
>not pooping in public

It isn't as big an obstacle as you might think. Just find a trail on your run that's empty and go off into the woods ya know?

>this is a shitpost
>>
>>37742499
Nice dubs. I ran cross country and track before I started lifting. After about six months of consistent lifting routines and running with changing my diet, I had changed my physique to the point where friends noticed. It feels good to have results.
>>
>>37751106
I try to not listen to music, only run alone, mostly in trails and in the woods. When i went minimalistic was the time i became an ultrarunner. Just keeping the running in focus
>>
>>37750964
Lifting in the morning and doing cardio in the evening/afternoon (or vice versa) would help. You can do both back to back but that can also reduce the benefits of both workouts.

You need to aim for ~20min of cardio per session to actually benefit from the exercise.
>>
>>37746795
>so i started c25k last year and did that and then i started running pretty consistently but january i got hurt my knee. it's only been the past few months when i've gotten back into running seriously
>atm, i run 10k three times a week and i take exactly 1 hour or just under 1 hour so basically i run a 10 minute mile.
>how do i get faster? i don't really understand much about running. should i run shorter distances now but try to aim for that to be faster than build up to running fast over a longer distance?
>also one thing, my calves always feel a bit sore the day after i run. i thought it was doms but it happens pretty regularly now. it's not as sore now as it was a few weeks ago but i still get a tight feeling. what do
>>37746795

Try to land "on your toes"/barefeetrunningtechnique. Its better for for your joints/knees.
Try doing intervalls, run really , really fast for 70secs and walk for 20secs. Do this 15 reps, the 20secs is your only rest. Once a week.
Your calves will catch up.
>>
>>37751331
Forgot to mention-- I'd say ~20min (or a little more) 3 times a week wouldn't detract from weight training.
>>
how into hill sprints?

shoes or no shoes? (it's grassy)
>>
Is walking 5 km a day good substitute for running? Cuz I have too walk that much.
>>
>>37751488
NO
>>
>>37751510
Oh. How come?
>>
Are there any decent running shoes under $40 or under?
>>
>>37746795
>how do i get faster?

There are a few things you can do to help.

Simple stuff like adding (4-6) strides to the end of your normal runs can be really beneficial. Basically "Strides" are meant to improve your form / turnover rate of your legs.

when you finish a run, find a flat grassy area about ~50m long. you can do this either with shoes or barefoot. In the first 20m you want to build up speed. For next 20m you should be at peak speed, an (almost) sprinting pace. This does NOT mean you are going all out. In the final 10m is for gradually decreasing speed to a stop.

rest for 30sec - 1min and then do the exact same thing again.

You should aim to be landing on your midfoot and work on driving your knees up/forwards.

If you can improve the turnover rate of your legs you'll start to see the benefits in later runs.
>>
>>37751631
because walking isn't very intense cardio.

It's like asking if doing 1x5 bodyweight squats is a good substitute for lifting
>>
>>37751668
Well fuck. I should get into rowing.
>>
Running app recommendation? I'm on Android.
Using runkeeper atm and it sucks, basically the only thing I need are intervals.
>>
>>37743934
>asshole white trash neighbours let their dog loose
>>chases me everytime
In America just about everywhere has a leash law. Call cops and complain that dog is running loose and chasing people. Helps if you mention that you are concerned about the local children.
>>
>>37744250

>10k: 40 minutes
Daily?????????
>>
>>37743934
I have this problem, too. It's always white trash or ghetto blacks. I've considered carrying a gun because of it.

>>37751750
Literally nothing happens.
>>
>>37751691

I believe you can do manual entries, but I use Garmin Connect in tandem with my gps watch, and I like it a lot.
>>
File: 1411555655897.jpg (30 KB, 455x410) Image search: [Google]
1411555655897.jpg
30 KB, 455x410
is 3 minutes of jogging 5 times a day the same as 15 minutes of jogging once?
>>
>>37752005

Negative.
>>
>>37752005
when you mean by it that it doesnt gain you anything, than yes
>>
>>37752031
>>37752036
it's just I can't run over 3 minutes because I'm unhealthy, trying to get into cardio and lose weight quick

should I just do a couch to 5k type program?
>>
>>37751987
Looks promising, ty.
>>
>>37752065
start slow and try to go as long as possible.
you will see great results after a few weeks. but you need to keep running for at least 20 or 30 minutes. come on. it aint that hard. if you are only unhealthy it will work. just keep going.
>>
>>37752065
If you're that fat then just start by walking.
>>
>>37752065
>it's just I can't run over 3 minutes
Then walk.... do an hour of walking daily.
Then an hour of walking with several periods of running, trying running more and more (NOT sprinting just running at a gentle jog pace) .
Eventually you will be jogging an hour each day.
>>
>>37752094
>>37752098
>>37752106
ty
>>
anyone here ever run a marathon?
i had a (silly) bet with a friend that we will run one in about 4 months. my best now is ~18km (11.2 miles) in 2 hours 15 min.
do you think i ca do it? do you have tipps for training? like running every second day or more often? only long runs? should i focus on lenght, speed or time? should i change my diet?(i'm a broke college student, so nothing too fancy) I'm taking all your tips
>>
would would be the affect of lifting on mondays/wednesdays/fridays, and running on tuesdays/thursdays/saturdays with sunday being a rest day. I'm a super skelly, and I want to improve my cardiovascular system and endurance as well as my strength.
>>
>>37751143
maybe some day when I have more confidence, a few weeks ago I couldn't do 5 trips without lying on the grass hyperventilating for 5 minutes

>this is a shitpost
well, OP asked
>>
>>37752171

I'm >>37742550. Starting greyskull on monday. Got my gym membership earlier today.
>>
>>37744075
gunner sounds like a total bro.
>>
>>37752151
If you can run the 11 miles like today, you will probably be able to do it.
Do 3-4 runs a week, make sure you have 1 long run, which you increase fairly linearly every week, until about a month to the race, when you should be at around 23 miles, then taper off, doing like 20 miles the week before to give your legs some time to rest before the big day.
One of your other runs should be a medium-ish run, probably about 60% of your long run distance for that week, and run that at the pace you want to race at. (It is good to have a goal time, even if you aren't planning on winning anything because the more even you run the easier it will be), the other two runs you can do a combination of speed work (intervals, do something like 4 minutes on, 2 minutes rest x 6 ) or something, and then longer intervals, which will help your speed endurance.
As for food, make sure you are eating a lot of protein and carbs, rice is cheap.
If you can run 18km in 2:15, i would suggest setting a goal for yourself of around 4:45 or 5:00 for the whole 42km
On the days you don't run it's also good to do stretching, core workouts and yoga to help your form
>>
>>37752632
thanks bud. will try this
>>
What are some good beginner running shoes? Nothing too expensive
>>
>>37751691
Strava is the best app
>>
>>37754081
I like it but it keeps fucking my run routes up. My phone's probably more to blame though.

Does anyone use a smart watch or GPS watch while running? And recommendations?
>>
>>37754133
Garmin watches are all pretty good, mine is a Foreunner 410
>>
File: AbeOik6[1].jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6[1].jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>37745105
Bullshit
not sure whats the point of trolling like this
>>
>>37748724
dat shoped picture
>mfw
>>
>>37749869
lol this is literally an ape
>>
>>37754133

I have a Garmin Forerunner 230. I don't think I'd get enough use out of a heart rate sensor to justify the price so it's good for me.
>>
>>37754011

Go to a specialty running store. Have them analyze your gait and try on several pairs, and run around the store in them. Find a pair that works for you. This is not something you want to trust strangers on a Malaysian cave painting board about.
>>
What should be an average mile time?

Just started jogging 2 months ago started off with a mile time of 10:26 and now I run a mile in 8:25
>>
Is there a preferred lifting regimen for distance runners (5K/10K/Mini)? As I understand it, SS and 5x5 aren't ideal, since they're very focused on squats. I'd like to start lifting in addition to my running but I just can't seem to find a concrete system to follow.
>>
>>37754796

8-10 minutes is a nice jogging pace
7 minutes is a nice medium between quick and comfortable (if you're in shape)
below 7 is usually like interval pace
>>
>just started running
>every time my left foot hits the ground, theres an audible "CRACK"
>I previously had a broken bone in my left foot
Should I see a specialist about this?It doesnt hurt at all
>>
>>37754011
just buy a pair that fits and is cheap. You can take an old pair from school for the begining
Everthing else is broscience
>>
File: sdfdfsd.png (2 MB, 1252x1213) Image search: [Google]
sdfdfsd.png
2 MB, 1252x1213
>>37742184

181 lbs, 5'7", 13:30 1.5mile run time

A-am I going to make it guys?
>>
>>37743934

Slow down and let it bite you. Just enough to break the skin so that you bleed as a result then fight the dog off.

Press charges and tell the cops/judge that while you aren't concerned for yourself, mention that the dog could potentially harm children that way.

If you don't live in a shithole it's a 100% chance the dog will be euthanized. Then proceed to lick the tears of the owners and gloat.
>>
File: 1449862659935.png (428 KB, 627x344) Image search: [Google]
1449862659935.png
428 KB, 627x344
>can only run 3km
>mfw reading this thread
>>
>>37742184
>everyone talking about buying this and that brand of shoe for two brazillion $
>I just go to a cheap footwear shop and buy some no name shit for under 50 €
>never had a problem with them
>no knee pain/shin pain/shit fuck
>just fucking run you faggots

Honestly at this point, if they ware out I will just go and try to buy the same pair again. They are comfy enough to run, so what is the benefit of throwing out 3 times that money? Did I just get lucky or are half of you faggots Shills trying to make people burn their earnings?
>>
>>37755117
little bit of background, friend?
>Since when do you run?
>are you a fatty?
>how often a week do you run?
>what time do you run these 3km?
>>
>>37742184
I am pretty new at running.
145, 5'5 I have about a 17 minute 1.5 mostly because I am walking between it. I know that running is the best way to get better at running but is there anything else like tips or so to help.
>>
>>37756039

Do a light warmup jog beforehand to get your heart going. Do dynamic stretches/plyometrics as well before your run.
>>
>>37755507
Started running 10 weeks ago

I was

I used to run everyday, but then my knees and calves started to hurt like a mother fucker and I just absolutely did not have the energy to do it every day so now I do it every 2nd day

Usually depending on how energetic I feel it takes 30-40mins
>>
File: 1464970726661.jpg (81 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1464970726661.jpg
81 KB, 500x730
How accurate is this meme
>>
Anyone here /barefoot/?

I mean completely barefoot, not using those weird five toes shoes.
>>
>>37756202
I'm interested in trying this but I can't tell if it's a meme or not

On the one hand I already feel a lot better walking around without shoes on but on the other hand I don't want to fuck up my feet because I fell for the appeal to nature

Either way I still wear minimalist shoes when running anyway so maybe trying it barefoot wouldn't be so bad
>>
>>37756182

Gyakusou is definitely a good looking line of clothes but I've never seen any runners wear it irl. I've also noticed more serious runners generally prefer brands like Saucony or Brooks shoes over Nikes.
>>
>>37756247
There's less broken glass and used needles than you think. Besides, as long as you watch where you're going, you'll be fine. And your feet will toughen up, and decrease the rick of cuts/scratches.

Not to mention the supposed calf gainz.
>>
6'1", 180lbs down from 260. Started seriously trying to run a few months ago.

Up to running 5k at least 4 times a week. Uneven arch shape in my feet cause a buildup of severe pain in one foot/ankle/calf if I try to run three consecutive days.

I actively work against pronating, use a high support Brooks shoe, stretch, ice, & use compression wraps. The pain is not that bad at the two day mark, but that third day pain prevents me from running for at least two recovery days.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>37756331

Look into sole inserts for your shoes.
>>
>>37756350
I actually have orthopedic inserts. The guys at a running store I went to suggested to stop using them in my running shoes for a week to see if it happens.

Today was day two and no real difference so far.
>>
>>37742184
I want to start running. My plan is to start 3 times a week walk/jogging 3 miles or so, trying to jog more each time. Is that a retarded idea?
>>
>Get hype about getting fit and running everywhere to get places fastfast
>Sorry Anon those pains are from scoliosis, you shouldn't run so much. Stick to machines for your cardio
O-Okay
>>
>>37742258
Yeah, I usually run ~30miles a week
>>
>>37750796
lmao. its a known fact in the running community that galen rupp has been training exclusively in nikes since high school
>>
>>37754967
You need to work on that run time. I'm 201 lbs at 5'11 and I run a 12:20 1.5 mile. You definitely look a lot better than me though, since I'm a fat sack of crap, so there's that.
>>
Runners shits what can I do to stop the tummy gurgles while im running?
>>
>>37756713
Ill run twice as far for you next time anon bro!
>>
Can someone post personal experience as to how much cardio improved their happiness/sense of well-being?
>>
>>37758453
I run to keep my depression and insomnia under control, it's really helped especially since i run in the morning my internal clock is more balanced.
>>
>>37742234
Nike generally produces some really terrible running shoes. If you really want to be a serious runner. I prefer asics; high quality and very durable (same pair for 2+ years), also because I have a wide, flat-footed gait and they provide a great deal of cushioning and heel support. However, I've found that Brooks are the only other brand that can match that quality.
>>
>>37758453
right after finishing a run where you know you gave it 100 percent puts you in a sort of accomplished high. you feel good for hours after and after just a week of doing the same thing your progress almost triples from where you started. the health benifits are FAST.
>>
>>37756713
you need to work your back more. i have scoliosis as well and have never had any pains while running, ive even broken transverse processes earlier before. i do a ton of pull ups along with my regular lifts and my back feels great.
>>
If anyone hates running like on a treadmill or just a regular course, definitely consider looking for a sport. It's more akin to HIIT an way more fun that running for the sake of it. I've been playing soccer in college (didn't really play at all before) and even though I sucked at first I kept getting better and now it's really improved my well being and I love the sport and the competition. Just my 2
>>
>>37754336
If you say so anon.
>>
>>37742184
Do shoes mame the runner? I have some shoes that fit well and all but when I run it feels awkwardish. If I change shoes would the shoes make a difference?
>>
File: 1360511240265.png (252 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1360511240265.png
252 KB, 511x428
>>37748790 here

>go out again today
>decide to pick up where I left off with c25k (run for 10m, walk for 3, run for 10)
>make it to the walk portion and give up

looks like I'm starting C25k again

ffs
>>
Can someone advise me an interval routine? I am a regular runner: I go 3 times per week and do about 5-7 miles but I want to switch it up because I feel I hit a plateau

pls halp
>>
File: 1457784167775.gif (233 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1457784167775.gif
233 KB, 500x275
>>37755117
iktf buddy

>>37755507
not him but
>did C25k last year
>got up to 5k, was running 5k at a 4:59 pace in october
>went back to uni and gave up, was smoking drinking etc, lost all progress
>try to get back into it now
>can barely do 2.5km without having to stop

>I am very skinny, 6'5 85kg
>trying to run in my gym off days so 3 days a week
>I run ~5:30 pace at the moment

I want to go back to C25k and start a few weeks in, tried to do a 10r/3w/10r today and had to give up at the 3m walk portion
>>
>>37752151
If your only goal is to finish then your training doesn't need to be that specific. Just work on jamming 1 longer run a week in and slowly increase that while building up 2 more lesser runs. When you can manage 35km in a training run you'll manage 42 on the day.
>>
I've tried getting back into it, just a slow 10 min jog and attempts at intervals but I've run into shin splints. It's not swollen or in real pain but enough to scare me off. Not sure if it's my weak core or just so out of shape. Any advice?
>>
>>37746635

Just did 2.4km in 11:30 boys. 3km next.
>>
>>37758503
Bro if a pair of running shoes last you over 2 years you don't run Nearly enough so stop giving out running/shoe advice to people.
>>
>>37746635
>>37761357
top lads keep it up, you'll smash 5k in no time

trust me, the jump from 1-3k is way harder than 3-5k
>>
>>37761344
10min should be possible. Are you fat? If so try cycling or swimming. Or 5min run 1min walking 5min run, like couch to 5k
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.