[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I improve my memory? I'll do whatever it takes really..
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: dfgh.jpg (55 KB, 265x400) Image search: [Google]
dfgh.jpg
55 KB, 265x400
How do I improve my memory? I'll do whatever it takes really..
>>
Memory games
>>
>>37684557
I actually had this really good method ages ago, but I forgot it :(
>>
>you will never be as successfull as elon
>>
>>37684557
Have a higher general intelligence.
>>
>>37684557
If you speak two languages, study interpreting.
If you speak one language, study respeaking.
>>
>>37684573

Define sucess
>>
>>37684566

horse shit.

I've studied a bit of cognitive psychology. It's not getting a better memory but better encoding the information that is presented to you.

Either use associations, hi my name is Daneil, I like to train at the gym, daniel son, karate kid. You'll never forget his name.

Or repetition, this is why universities tell you to revise. I never get less than 90% on an exam because I systematically encode every bit of information from lectures until I can recall the answer to any given question.
>>
>>37684583
How does one study interpreting?
>>
>>37684557

lol@people thinking Musk is going to save the human race.

>plans to get rid of millions, possible billions of jobs through automation.

Look how well it worked out for farmers and factory workers.
>>
>>37684618
musk wants most of us to die because he thinks that current population levels are unsustainable.

Lots of billionaires think this is a good plan and even have a little private club where they plan for a society of only a few hundred million on the earth.
>>
>>37684605
begin without taking notes, watch a 1/2 minute speech and repeat it in the other language without missing any information, as if you were a pro.

Once you can do that, study correct note taking methods, and move on to 5/7 minute speeches with notes, again, be hard on yourself, imagine you're at a conference, if you fuck up vital information won't be passed on.

Once you can do that, study simultaneous interpreting techniques, and practice those with 10/15 minute videos, being able to listen, process and produce material at the same time will stretch your brain out.

for practice material: either use youtube/ted talks, or the EU speech repository, which was created with exactly the goal of training interpreters.
>>
>>37684627
Illuminati
>>
>>37684634
does this even work, which skills you acquire with this? how long does it take to get to anywhere good?
>>
>>37684557
And trust your brain. You will not remember every detail at first glance. But when it starts to come out, it will. After you confidience builds up, just let brain take over and don't think about it too much which will happen at 100-200 hours of work mark.
>>
>>37684657
Yes it works, I'm a qualified (Ma) interpreter.

Jobs are very competitive but very exciting and financially rewarding, at least for conference interpreting they are.

If you think you've gained acceptable competency there will be a 'public service interpreting' (UK) exam you can take which qualifies you to interpret for the police, schools, most public work apart from courts and hospitals which require different qualifications.

However, if you're based in the US I've heard (I don't know for a certainty) that the regulations are a bit looser and if you're good enough you can just set yourself up as an interpreter without any formal qualifications and if you're good you can make bank.
>>
File: image.png (221 KB, 400x410) Image search: [Google]
image.png
221 KB, 400x410
>>37684627
But current population levels ARE unsustainable.
>>
>>37684686
so your memory is now great? how long it took to see results?
>>
>>37684586
Sending a rocket to space while making billions selling futuristic automobiles
>>
>>37684948
My memory is better, my working memory is great, a study of Chinese interpreting students showed their working memories were pretty much universally better than those of the general population.

My masters was one year, and I've been working for one year since then, I saw results within the first month of interpreting specific training, I've found that my brain 'switches gears' when I start interpreting, and I found that feeling fairly early on.

However, there are obviously outside factors, I also play music+sing, which probably have had beneficial effects on my memory from a young age, also I've been acting as family interpreter on holidays since I was 14-15 so that may have sped the process up.

Honestly I think any activity that forces your brain to exert effort will improve your memory to one degree or another, interpreting is just an especially memory reliant activity.
>>
i need to cut out melatonin

i remember when i first started taking it my short term memory suddenly became shit, but overtime i got used to it

maybe if i stop taking it my memory will improve
>>
>>37685008
got anymore tips I'll maybe try that in a few months
>>
>>37685092
make sure your language skills are top notch, you don't need a 20,000 word vocabulary in both languages, but you do need to be versatile enough to render anything that could come up.

Do some research, if you know you'll be practicing/working on a speech about climate change make sure you know all the recent developments in that area and all the relevant vocab.

If you start and find you enjoy it do some background academic reading, interpreting research is normally written in a pretty straightforward way and will give you invaluable insight into the process.
>>
>>37684557
Why do you need to? Study something that you are interested in and it will stick. Approach studying not like memorizing stuff but rather experimentation: after reading on stuff mentally test if it's true or not and how it fits in your worldview.

You can also read a mind for numbers (with a grain of salt of course) or read it's main points but basically test everything that you've learned by doing the exercises and stuff. Don't assume if something makes sense while you read it that you know it by heart. Review it periodically and make Anki decks with stuff that you want to learn. Always visualize stuff that you learn (I recommend keeping it fast and simple so it won't drain you. Sometimes this will work wonders, other times it won't help but it's okay).

And of course eat and sleep right, but assuming you are on fit you are doing that or at least planning on it.
>>
>>37684991

Kek. Underrated post.
>>
>>37685170
Really how is good money in that field? Are hours flexible and how many hours you work in that field?
>>
>>37685422
Interpreting isn't my main job, I freelance whilst working as a subtitler, which I also enjoy, and was also part of my studies.

Money is good but work is patchy, if you get a steady job for an international body (EU or UN) you get well paid, I don't know much about UN, but if you enter EU as a new graduate you get €4,000 a month, if you enter as a graduate you get €5,500 a month, these are both two places on a pay scale that can rise. The highest pay grade in the EU is €16,000 a month, though I'm not sure interpreters are eligible for that, even at the highest levels.

Payment changes for freelancers, but for a weekends work my pay is normally several hundred pounds.
>>
>>37684569
Ahaa!!
>>
>>37685491
sorry, should say, if you enter with 4 years experience you get the higher pay grade.
>>
>>37684557
anki
>>
>>37685491
What languages do you translate? I'm Portuguese and I guess I'm average at English.
>>
>>37685572
English-Spanish are both active, I can also do passive Italian (so from Italian into Spanish or English, but not the other way around).

My GF is Lithuanian, so I assume I'll have to pick up that and Russian sooner or later.
>>
>>37685595
Is English->Portuguese and vice versa sought after in the EU? Hows the pay ?(realistically)
>>
>>37685620
Pay I mentioned above, here
>>37685491
Like I said, those are basic rates of pay that will theoretically increase with time, I'm sure if you look around the EU website you'll find more stuff.

Put simply, the more languages you have the more likely you are to find work, for example, if there's a conference where Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and English all need to be interpreted the aim is to have as few interpreters as possible covering all those languages, so with fewer languages your chances of picking up work get slimmer and slimmer, which is part of the reason I have taken the accreditation test for the EU yet (also I think I'll fail it).
If you learn Spanish, Spanish, Portuguese and English is obviously a very powerful combination in North and South America, but I don't really know anything about the international organisations there.
>>
>>37685660
haven't taken** sorry for my typing, not proofing my posts
>>
>>37685660
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/workwithus/staff/permanent/index_en.htm

Salaries look good for the eu, interesting work must be very cutthroat process to get in.
>>
>>37685778
Translation and interpreting are different jobs, but yeah, there are several rounds of competitions for translation, 5 or 6, I think, if you pass all of them you get put on a list, once you're one that list, when a job opens, you might be contacted.
Basically the only you get in once you're on that list is by knowing the team.
I've met two members of the English translation team, both lived in Brussels and had regular contact with the Translation department before they applied to be translators, who you know figures in a pretty big way.
>>
>>37685900
>who you know figures in a pretty big way.
So goes the world..
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.