[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intermittent Fasting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
Is this shit a meme?

Does anyone here do it? It seems like a pretty good idea in theory compared to some dumbshit like keto or PSMF or whatever but when the fuck are you suppose to lift? In the evening? - Seems like you'd lack serious energy in the first part of the day and doing heavy compounds on an empty stomach would be brutal...
>>
>>37514837
After a while lifting in a fasted state is easy.

I recommended it to my friend and he just clarified it something like "So you only eat 1 large meal a day like a fatass, wont feel hungry and lost bf"
>>
>>37514895
But what's the point if I can just write down what i eat and I don't feel hungry cutting on 2k cals anyways?

Does this really have that much of a benefit aside from the psychological easiness?

And is lifting fasted even a good idea? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it after you eat your first meal at least?
>>
I did it for awhile, made some good gains, but had to stop because I started taking a medication that needed to be as close to every 12 hours as possible and taken with food.

The first couple weeks are rough. I don't recommend lifting during this time because you will feel hungry as fuck and lifting will only make you hungrier. Afterwards, the hunger and energy dips subside and your body feels fine.

On the leangains protocol, if you lifted before your feeding time, you took a BCAA supplement before working out in order to prevent catabolism. I did that and started eating right after the gym (which would usually be around 1PM). I played around with different gym times and found I did much better if lifting after a meal of some kind, but that was much more based on feeling than anything.

My weight went up a little bit in the couple months I tried it, but it was fairly minimal compared to a clean bulk and I think I was under eating for half my time
>>
>>37514837
I only do intermittent fasting if I can keep up with macros with micronutrients.

So generally I'll carb load then try and do high intensity cardio to get the best results. You don't want to do it too often though. It works for me.
>>
File: 1465154194935.jpg (218 KB, 1400x997) Image search: [Google]
1465154194935.jpg
218 KB, 1400x997
>>37514941
>you took a BCAA supplement before working out in order to prevent catabolism

Really? is this even necessary? I'm reading what one guy is saying and he seems to say that lifting fasted is fine other than endurance and you should either have your first meal right after you lift OR after your first meal ideally.

But quite frankly I'm not seeing much of a benefit to this approach other than making it easier to cut, which I've never had much of an issue appetite-wise with usually.
>>
>>37514987
What kind of stupid shirt is that?
>>
it works fantastic, i have usually done 16:8 or now im doing 18:6 for fasting:feeding window. i can literally feel my test surging. and i wouldnt recommend doing squats or deadlifts in a fasted state but i am doing other lifts just fine fasted. feel sharper too
>>
its great, just don't use it as a excuse to eat shit, get enough macros and stick to it

>what do you guys take in the morning? just water or do you ad some supps?
>>
>>37514837
>i fancy this one thing
>i insult theese other things
>agree with me and validate my opinion pls.

why don't you dig bit more into science behind nutrition and find more things for yourself instead of asking shit served.

welcome to fit where noone lifts.
>>
>>37514901
Because while intermittent fasting you won't be hungry aven eating sub 2k.

Theoretically you can build musle and loose fat at the same time because after your large meal you are in a caloric surplus. If you don't believe me watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFo_wQq8M3Q.

Yes lifting fasted is no problem.
>>
>>37514837
Read this: http://www.leangains.com/
>>
>>37515528
Only creatine and water because I don't like coffee.
>>
I've been doing IF from sunrise to sunset for the past few days now, and I'm used to it. The first day sucks but after that it becomes habit.
>>
So how bad is it to just straight up fast for a day, or eat at low calories (sub-1800) for 3-4 days so long as I'm getting 70+ gram of protein? I've been alternating between fasting, low cal days for workouts, and the occasional refeeding day for two weeks and I've lost so much fat it's ridiculous.
>>
>>37515664
>Allahu ackbar detected
>>
File: 1431476691851.jpg (20 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1431476691851.jpg
20 KB, 225x225
>>37515723
Salam friend
>>
asked this in question thread, but maybe someone can answer it here
i decided to try 16:8 and don't quite understand how to count the 8 period.
should my last meal be by the last hour or am i supposed to take the digesting time into it?
like if my first meal was at 12, last one should be at 8 or 3-5pm
>>
It's good, but it won't solve all your problems overnight like this guy seems to think:

>>37515063
>i can literally feel my test surging
>>
I get the other benefits are cool too, but personally I like it just because life is so much simpler when you're only eating two meals and one snack. Don't have to waste time thinking about food. Also, as someone who always had issues eating too much when I wasn't tracking everything, it seems to have completely eliminated that problem - I'm just too full during the feeding window to overeat.
>>
>>37514837
>doing heavy compounds on an empty stomach would be brutal
I work out for 1.5 hrs every morning before breakfast and that's how I prefer it. If I work out on a full stomach (especially compound movements with a lot of up-down motion like squat jumps, burpees, etc) it makes me feel sick. Usually before I warm up I feel like shit but get energized pretty quick.
>>
>>37517610
Bingo

Weight lifting before breakfast is fine, sprinting is not.
>>
>>37515773
Your fast starts the moment you stop putting food in your mouth
>>
>>37514901
It is about the fat/muscle ratio when storing and using calories.
Yes
>hurr durr calories in calories out
still applies. But it is makes a difference where the calories that come in go and where the calories that go out come from.
In your fasted state 100% of the calories used come from bodyfat, but during your feeding window you will gain something like 60% fat and 40% muscle or more.
>>
>>37517682
> in your fasted state 100% of the calories used come from bodyfat

nice broscience you have there
>>
>>37514987
BCAA are not necessary in my opinion and from what i've seen, but they also don't really hurt. If you take the recommended amount leangains recommends its 10g before, 10g after and 10g every 2 hours or so. Personally when I tried it I did 10g before and 10g and that was all despite my first meal being several hours later. Results were good.

When I ran out of BCAA and didn't buy more I didn't bother and results felt pretty much the same, my lifts were fine, progress was fine, didn't see any noticeable drop off. There are a few anecdotal self studies i've seen where people seemed to get better results with bcaa (similar weight loss over a 2 month period with and without - but more fatloss with bcaa in training).
>>
>>37517710
where else do they come from though?? do you really think youre immediately gonna lose mussles after 8 hours of fasting?
>>
>>37517566
this 100% is the only reason I do IF. Going from eating 4-6 small meals a day vs eating twice a day makes my life so much easier. Obviously you can still overeat with this method especially first starting because of adapting to going so long without food, but once you get used to it (about 7-10 days for me) I no longer have any issues.

I also enjoy it because if I know my friends plan on doing something on the weekend that might tank my calories I can simply fast all day until night - its not ideal but easily can be done. And because I'm used to fasting until around 3pm an extra few hours doesn't bother me vs when I was eating every 3 hours, going any more then 5-6 hours without food drove me nuts.
>>
>>37517745

Stored glycogen in your liver and muscles.
>>
>>37514901
>But what's the point if I can just write down what i eat and I don't feel hungry cutting on 2k cals anyways?

Other potential benefits of a longer fasting period include increased autophagy and phagocytosis, improved nutrient partitioning, neuroprotective benefits, somethingsomething about stubborn fat (Martin Berkhan addressed it in one of this articles on leangains.com), less cooking & cleaning, food is separated from your lifestyle
>>
>>37514987
w2c bag pls
>>
IF seems great
>>
File: 1463033298768.jpg (305 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1463033298768.jpg
305 KB, 480x640
I'm on a cut right now which is going great but all the health benefits really got me interested.

There really seems to be a lot of research done on this subject.

However I wonder if there are any downsides to this kind of diet?
>>
>>37519121
Only ome I'm worried about is cognitive abilities being affected from fasting.

But the growth hormone shit related to IF seems very interesting
>>
>>37519199

How does fssting affect cognitive abbilities, I don't remember reading anything about that.
>>
>>37519240
I don't either but personally my thinking feels noticeably off if I don't eat breakfast
>>
>eating window of noon to 8
That's basically just skipping breakfast, it barely deserves to be called fasting.
>>
>>37519382
But that's precisely what it is

16 hrs of no food a day.
>>
>>37517656
>fast starts the moment you stop putting food in your mouth
>carbo load with protein one hour before hitting gym
>lift in fasted state

shut the fuck up. at least call it a "fast" if you can't be bothered to know what to call your bullshit
>>
>>37519405
*no feeding
eating at the end of an eight hour feeding window doesn't mean you have a sixteen hour fast, it's more like 12-14 depending on quantity and quality of what's being consumed
>>
>>37514837
>Does anyone here do it?

This isn't really important, what's important is if YOU do it and if it works for YOU. People have accomplished their goals using pretty much every kind of diet and program you can imagine, which is why fad diets and popular programs catch on it actually works for some % of people. The only way to know if you can benefit from a change in diet is to do it and see how your body reacts to it.

You're interested in IF? Do it for 4 weeks CMON
>>
>>37514837

IF seems just awesome, the scientific data on it is absolutey great
the animals studies in multipes species show awesome effects on basically everything you can think of. I'm personally astonished by the strong neuroprotective effect of IF, it's like fucking magic.

The majority of human studies on IF are unsurprisingly coming from muslims "scientists", from king saud goatfucking & oil drilling university, studying ramadan intermittent fasting, and showing dubious benefits, of course proving scientifically that islam is superior to dirty kuffars.

Surprise surprise, these studies are very poorly designed, with multiples big bias one of which dehydration, and of course muslims being muslims, they could have blatantly skew the results...

The few kuffar quality studies seems to confirm the good outcomes though. IF is the next big thing.

There are many blends of it out there

-leangain / 16 hours fast 8 hour feed every day is for people who don't have fun ever such as permavirgins autists and muslims cause you can't really go out and have fun without drinking or eating something
-it's much better to do something like 5:2 or 6:1 which is just fasting 24 hours in a row for one day, or two non consecutive days a week. It's very flexible, very adaptable to any social situation, and works quite well.

To maximize the effect, eat lightly the day you break your fast. For example If you fast on monday, your last meal is on sunday 7pm, you eat nothing until monday 7pm when you eat only a light meal of 700kcal, and eat normally on tuesday.

If you bulk, eat like a motherfucker when you don't fast
If you cut, just eat normally
>>
>>37519679
so when to have the last meal exactly?
>>
>>37520548
Pol pls
>>
>>37515636
exactly this
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.