[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If building muscle is all about repetitions, why do exercises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: fw2[1].jpg (50 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
fw2[1].jpg
50 KB, 600x630
If building muscle is all about repetitions, why do exercises like planks and farmer's walks build muscle?

If they can build muscle just from tension, why can't I do one deadlift or bench press and hold it for 20-30 seconds for the same result?
>>
>>37458722
Because locking out at the top of deadlift doesn't work the same muscles you used to pull it up
>>
>>37458722
You can pause deadlifts and bench press
>>
>>37458722
When you are locked out in a deadlift or a benchpress the load is carried by your skeleton. Farmers walk/plank are putting an active load on a muscle. make sense?
>>
Holding a bar up above your chest doesn't work your chest and triceps like you worked them when you pushed it up.

You're sort of on to something though, Google isometric training
>>
>>37458722

look up "isometrics"
>>
>>37458722
I'd think it has something to do with these exercise types are normally focusing on your core. Your core can be trained differently and it's not so much about reps more time engaging it.
>>
>>37458722
A farmer's walk isn't the same as holding a deadlift at lockout because, you guessed it genius, you're moving.
It's like training fucking chimps
Also,
>90kg/hand farmers
babby tier tbqh pham
>>
>>37458722
>building muscle is all about repetitions
There's your mistake. It's about time under tension, which answers your question.
>>
>>37458722
I believe it's to do with the muscle fibre types used. When benching, squatting, deadlifting etc you are using your fast twitch glycolictic fibres (type 2b) which is what grow.

With planks and farmers walks you are hitting more slow twitch fibres (type 1) and fast twitch (type 2a) which don't require power as such and so repetitions aren't needed more strength and endurance.
>>
>>37458722
>If building muscle is all about repetitions,
Building muscle is about time under tension
>>
>>37460805

So why not just hold one rep for as long as possible like the OP suggests?
>>
Isn't there an arnold quote saying the weights are just a tool, the important part is how well you contract the muscles?
>>
>>37458722
ok genious now do a stroke to your dick and hold it for as long as it takes to reach orgasm
>>
>>37460832
>So why not just hold one rep for as long as possible like the OP suggests?
because locking out isn't under tension, apart from in a few cases (forearms in the deadlift for example). Can you really not see how a farmer's walk is different to a deadlift lockout? Or how a yoke walk is different to standing with a barbell on your back?
>>
>>37460871

So the repetitions are required for the tension?
>>
>>37460915
In the case of most exercises yes, because the lockout places the stress on the skeleton rather than the muscle. though in some cases you can be stationary and under tension, such as in a plank, where your core is engaged, or in something like a grip for time event in a strongman competition.

It is worth mentioning that in isometric exercises such as the front rack hold you are not supposed to be at lockout, so as to actually engage the muscle.
>>
>>37460915
optimum tension will occur at some point during the ROM

the more reps you do, the more time you'll spend at that optimal tension sweet spot
>>
>>37458722
I don't have a gym where I can walk around - how do I into farmer's walk?
>>
>>37460981
you're a bit goosed unfortunately, but then you are if you train somewhere that doesn't have proper implements as well
you can't really go heavy enough with dumbells
>>
>>37460437
Why are these so much harder to do with dumbbells?
>>
>>37458722
>why can't I do one deadlift or bench press and hold it for 20-30 seconds
Because you can't? Take your working weight for bench and try to hold it at the sticking point for 30 seconds
>>
>>37461176
1. much, much lower pickup. A normal farmer's walk handle will have a 15" or so height, whereas a dumbell is like doing a deficit deadlift
2. Balance, with proper handles you can change your grip for how you want the weight to lean
3. Weight, you want to be going very heavy with farmers and you can't really with dbs
>>
>>37461206
>what is a spoto press/paused board press
>>
>>37461210
No I mean literally to perform.

The place I train now has no farmer handles and doing this with the 60kg DBs they have is for some reason much harder than carrying 130 on handles.
>>
>>37458722
Pause deadlifts are a thing. Also, you work different muscles throughout the course of the movement.

Go google sarcoplasmic vs myofibrillar hypertrophy
>>
>>37461224
the lower pickup and balance, like I said
I did forget the most important one though, because I'm a mong
Dumbells roll out of your hand like a barbell does, whereas handles don't because they literally can't roll
>>
>>37460981
It's super easy to find some heavy shit around the house. I mean uhh... how do you think farmers did it
>>
Would holding a press in between resting position and lockout position be better than doing reps for building muscle?
>>
>>37461257
Only if you still rep it to lockout following the pause. Pause exercises exist to train past specific sticking points.
>>
>>37461257
feel free to try it
you won't be able to, but try it if you must
I will say that it defeats the point, because the muscles recruited by the press changes through the ROM
>>
>>37460981

Get re-usable grocery bags (those tyvek feeling ones) double bag them and then fill them with sand?
>>
>>37461340
If I were to make a home-made farmers implement I'd probably go down the route of a wooden frame
You could make it loadable with stuff like cement/gravel bags
>>
>>37461394
I only suggest the grocery bag thing because it requires no skills or tools and minimal cash investment.

Personally I'd rent a MIG welder and grab a few diameters of steel tubing from a scrap yard and fabricate some handles.
>>
Want bigger legs, get a job that requires you to be on your feet all day. That's how you get bigger calves true story
>>
>>37460473
I saw the question in op and thought "wow, finally a legit question . " I was wondering how much fit knew about lifting and it isn't until this post that someone posted the answer. Good job who ever the fuck you are. You know something. Gold star for you. The fact that people kept offering answers shows how useless this board is.
>>
>>37460981
Take one step forward and one step back. Sort of like lunges.
>>
>>37461257
This guy >>37461280 seems right. One way to compromise and get best of both worlds is to make the full ROM of the rep, but go as slow as possible. I did a one minute rep with 135 and I could feel it more than a full set of 225.
>>
>>37460373
you might try that argument for deadlift but not at all for bench. i dont think thats true for either
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.