[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are somatypes a meme? Feels like all their saying is "you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: somatypes.png (74 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
somatypes.png
74 KB, 600x250
Are somatypes a meme?
Feels like all their saying is "you're skinny", "you're muscular" or "you're fat".
Obviously this system cannot be used if people actively shape their bodies so the question is:
How are they determined?
If they are genetic how do you find out what type you are?
And if they aren't: what's the point? I don't need a fancy word to tell someone to eat less and train more.
Or are they even applicable at all?
>>
>>37446827
No, they're bullshit.
>>
File: 1317575773298.jpg (148 KB, 1196x347) Image search: [Google]
1317575773298.jpg
148 KB, 1196x347
>Feels like all their saying is "you're skinny", "you're muscular" or "you're fat".

That's pretty much it.

Pic related is all the same dude. Somatypes with regards to genetics are bullshit
>>
>>37446827
It's fatlogic.
>>
>>37446827
>Are somatypes a meme?
>Feels like all their saying is "you're skinny", "you're muscular" or "you're fat".
The way most people use them, yes. But the answer is not black and white, and >>37446850 and >>37446888 (amazing digits and interesting pic btw) are kind of wrong.
Yes, genetics do determine (in part) your shoulder to waist or shoulder to height or legs to torso ratios. Do you need to give it a name to justify eating or training poorly? No.
"I just can't build muscle man, I am an ecto" or "I can never cut to low bf, I am an endo!" Bullshit.
"John and I are the same height but our wingspan has a 5 inch difference" yes, this can happen.
>>
>>37447660
do somatypes have any effects on metabolism?
>>
im ecto in manlet version
>>
>>37447783
only in the same way that height does, if you weigh more/have more muscle mass you will use more energy
>>
>>37446827
They are a meme in the way movie stars and actors use them.

>brad pitt is a mesomorph so it's super easy for him to lose weight hurr durr

He is small, so it's more likely that he will look buffer than he really is on a cut.
When you see picture of him they are usually close up, because when he stands next to someone else in Fight Club, he looks like a twink.
>>
Somatypes are just a way of describing HEIGHT and FRAME
>>
>>37446827
Somatypes were produced as a tool to model behavior analysis in psychology or some shit.

There is no application to fitness whatsoever except for bros who want to try and sound smart and defend why they can't put on weight, lose weight, etc.
>>
>>37448993
This. Being able to gain more muscle or lose more weight is bs.
>>
>>37446827
Yes they are 100% real in terms of bone structure and muscle insertion.

Assuming all 3 are equally as fit you'd still get one skinny, one muscular, one chunky..

Most people are a mix of two types, pure singular somatypical people are rare
>>
>>37446827
They are descriptions, not limiting types. Nothing beyond this is true.
>>
>>37446827
They're psuedoscience, they actually thought it was your brain/personality that reflected in your body type.
>>
>>37446827
They were an excuse for your mom to shop in the "husky boys" section for you. You were just fat.
>>
>>37450779
as if your personality doesn't determine your eating and exercise behavior
>>
File: christian-bale-batman[1].jpg (32 KB, 490x281) Image search: [Google]
christian-bale-batman[1].jpg
32 KB, 490x281
they're a complete fucking meme
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.