[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Half marathon VS lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446986725284.jpg (976 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1446986725284.jpg
976 KB, 1280x1920
Hey fit, been lifting 3-4 times per week for 15 months now. Since I started as a skelly, at first I didn't do much cardio, but in recent months I got into running a lot more. Now I need some help from my running bros.

I want to run a half-marathon in September. Currently I run about 5k, 3 times per week. The most I've ever run is about 8k, and I estimate my current maximum to be around 10k if I really go all out.

I'm 180cm, 78kg (started lifting at 69kg last year).

Most half-marathon training programs online have you training about 4 times a week, switching between intervals, slow runs etc.

My question to you is, what's the optimal half-marathon preparation program while lifting heavy weights 3 times per week?

My thinking was to lift 3x per week and run 3x per week, with the sole rest day coming after leg day.

Any advice? Programs? Experiences?

tl;dr How to prepare for half marathon in 3 months while maintaining my 3x per week lifting program and not losing my gains.
>>
You can't serve two masters at once.
If you have a goal to run a marathon, prioritize that and let your heavy lifting take a backseat (that doesn't mean don't lift).
I would probably also drop leg work except squats and deads and only do those once a week each.

But if you're going to get good at marathon running your lifts will suffer a bit I'm sure
>>
>>37440688
If you want to run X successfully, then weight lifting isn't going to cut it, period.
>>
>>37440715

Half-marathon, not marathon. Should it really be that demanding, since I'm half-way there already?

I realize that some sacrifices will have to be made, I'm looking for the optimal lifting VS running ratio to at least maintain my mass while increasing my run distance. I'm content to not gain any new mass over the summer.
>>
>>37440688

This is all secondhand, coming from a strongman mate of mine who took it upon himself to do an ironman triathlon (which is a bit more extreme than your example, but he's also a much better conditioned athlete than you or me) and has chewed all our ears off talking about how he did it.

You can train cardio and weights in the same day with separate sessions. Its a bastard to arrange for most people though. So it is possible to run 4x and lift 3x a week but you might not want to.

You need to prioritise the running if you're starting from this far back. That means putting leg day basically at the end of your work week, right before any rest days and after all of your cardio.

Prepare to watch your leg strength stagnate and maybe go backwards. Maybe it won't, but it probably will. This is almost inevitable in the short term when you jack up your running volume to the amount needed. It'll usually come back longer term when you're used to the workload.

Diet and sleep are going to be mucho important with that volume of training. Seriously, get on top of your recovery.

Run outside, not on the treadmill. This seriously cannot be overstated.
>>
>>37440737
A half marathon is still 13.1 miles, so yeah it will be demanding.

Also, even if you do accomplish it, you won't do it competitively; andif you don't play to win, then why play at all?
>>
>>37440688
Her head seems too small for her body
>>
>>37440759
And her boobs look like they're in the wrong spot.
>>
>>37440754

It's a challenge, I like challenges. I'm 29 and I never used to run (except short sprints when playing football etc) until last year, so finishing a half-marathon at this point is more than I ever could have imagined myself doing.

>>37440746

Gotcha. Thanks for the input. I actually work from home so scheduling isn't that much of a problem, and I always run outside, never used a treadmill. What is a problem is that temperatures are constantly over 40 Celsius here in the summer, and outside runs are only viable after 9-10 PM.
>>
>>37440759
>>37440777

She looks like she could be talked into anything by anyone.

Also, good luck OP.
>>
>>37440688
the seat appears to be entering her butthole
>>
>>37441075

>entering

Has anyone here actually run a long distance race while lifting?

OP, not to be a mememaster, but you might lose some gains.
>>
run in the morning and train weights in the pm. that what everyone in the military does and it works. I weigh 190lbs 8%bf and can run a 7:30 1.5mile and can smash a half marathon in 90minutes
>>
>>37441278

The difference between you and OP is that soldiers literally have nothing else to do besides train and sleep, while productive members of society actually do something constructive with their time.

In >>37441254 I mean to quote "appears", not "entering".
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.