[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are sumo deadlifts suited exclusively for manlets?? Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: random_google_image.jpg (36 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
random_google_image.jpg
36 KB, 600x332
Are sumo deadlifts suited exclusively for manlets??

Is this technique unheard of for people who are taller?
>>
>>37412114
Sumo deadlifts to normal deadlifts are what reddit is to 4chan.
>>
Try standing straight up, with your feet pointed towards each other. Bend over and your ass will balloon out. Point your feet outwards, and then bend over. You'll have a man ass.

Think of squats in these terms, and the muscles you want to train.
>>
Actually, it's recommended for lanklets. Manlets are better off with conventional.
>>
>>37412114
Im a manlet but never done the sumos whats the difference?
>>
>>37412126
/thread
>>
sumo deadlifts are literally half squats.
>>
>>37412126
Sumo deadlifts are to normal deadlifts are what wide grip bench is to narrow grip bench

Sumo deadlifts are to normal deadlifts are what wide stance squats are to narrow stance squats
>>
>>37412114
Oh wow I just realized that sumo deadlifts are what if feels like to do a normal deadlift as a manlet. No wonder manlets can deadlift so much.
>>
>>37412160
Don't bother. It's a meme lift. I asked someone in the gym why he chose sumo over conventional, and he literally said "because it looks cooler".
>>
>>37412180
From the looks of it theres less of pull because your legs are spread right? Gay shit desu senpai definitely a female exercise.
>>
>>37412114
I'm 6ft and prefer sumo since I pull about 50lbs more with it than conventional and my back feels much safer.
>>
>>37412114
im not an expert but it seems like there's such a low range of motion for sumo squats its not worth it
>>
>>37412114
meme lift for IPF competitors so they can deadliftmore weight
>>
>>37412114

Unheard of? No.

Rarer? Yes.

A lot of whether or not you're stronger with either style comes down to proportions. The proportions that favour sumo (shorter limbs, longer torso - more of a squatters build compared to the lanky long-armed build that conventional favours) are more common in shorter lifters than in taller but there's elite pulls made with either form at every weight class.
>>
>>37412114

It's not called "The Manletmaker" for nothing.
>>
>>37412114
i can pull 385 sumo but only 365 conventional. sumo also feels safer on my back
>>
>>37412173
Not even close, faggot.
>>
>>37412160
Leverages basically, some find it easier

I know I do cause my arms are short as fuck
>>
>>37412114
Its a meme lift and for women who want to feel like they are strong.
The ROM is so limited you can pull a lot more weight than conventional deadlifts
>>
>>37412114
I do them because i feel a pain in my knees with the conventional deadlift. I'm sure it's because my form is shit but sumo is just easier, more comfortable and more fun.
>>
File: 1400388576358.gif (843 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1400388576358.gif
843 KB, 499x281
>>37412921
Yet many world champion powerlifters still pull conventional instead of sumo. It's almost like some people are better build to pull sumo while other are better built to pull conventional.
>>
File: matrixpepe.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
matrixpepe.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>37412114
>tfw manlet
>long ass monkey arms
>deadlifts (especially sumo) are easy af
>>
trying some tomorrow for the first time. Should I use a squat plug?
>>
>>37412921
A thousand times this
>>
File: 1462312810567.gif (4 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1462312810567.gif
4 MB, 280x210
>>37413857
>doing sumo
>ever
>>
>>37412114
It's not deadlift. It's at most an accessory lift after the real lifting session

If you're delusional about your strength or a women, do it then. I've never seen a real strong man doing it and benefit from it. This exclude stupid YouTube manwhores who explain the lift for attention.
>>
>>37413261
>It's almost like some people are better build to pull sumo while other are better built to pull conventional
Exactly. And those people built for sumo are women while conventional is for full grown men.
>>
>>37412114
Does anyone have a legit form guide for sumo dl? Everyone keeps saying that they're easier and you can pull more but Idk

>6'2
>185 lbs
>425x3 romanian
>275x3 sumo
????

Its like a wide stance squat right?
>>
>>37414284

OD Wilson thought sumo pulling was damn useful and he was a world class strongman.
>>
some people pull sumo in competition because it allows them to lift more

if you're not a competitor you should not pull sumo. it shortens the ROM and makes the back more vertical. the shorter ROM is bad for obvious reasons, and since the typical goal of deadlifting is to get a strong back you don't want a more vertical back.
>>
>>37415586
sumo can definitely be useful, but it's not really a replacement for regular deadlifts. in a powerlifting competition they're the same thing, but in the context of building strength they're not because the movements are different.
>>
What if you're someone like me with a long trunk but short limbs? I have to hyperextend my back to reach the bar for conventional, and I'd really prefer not to rupture all of my lumbar discs.
>>
>>37415625
Work both, develop a preference, focus on it (but do not exclude the other).

Unless you have a coach or coaches who can go over detailed biometrics analyses with your specific shit plugged in, you can't tell until you do it.

As others mentioned before, they're different lifts, go ahead and work in the one you end up not preferring every third DL session or so
>>
>>37412159
I'm 6'8 and I pull much more conventionally than sumo. Like 585 versus barely 405 "more". I must be doing sumo very, very wrong
>>
>>37415645

Its a very rare tall guy who is built to pull sumo better than conventional. They exist but they're the exception.
>>
>>37415639
I've tried time and again to get my conventional deadlift form down, but I always feel the strain in my back and would seriously prefer not to push the envelope. I already have a bulging disc anyway and if I take it too far I'm going to rupture it.
>>
>>37415625
That is the exact build that favors sumo. I pull sumo and conventional used to bother my back. Doing deficit conventional deadlifts largely resolved my form issues.
>>
>>37415665
I'm not saying do it at the risk of injury, just that typically it's better. It's a convention for a reason, you know?

>>37415661
That's a little relieving, I'm the only semi serious lifter even close to my size range at my gym, so honestly I don't know any better
>>
>>37415571
This one is decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM

In general, try lock out your torso before you touch the bar and keep it locked out. Pull your hips towards the bar, not down. You want to reduce the distance between the bar and your hips as much as possible. You should feel a big stretch when doing this. Remember, sumo is only easier for people for whom sumo is easier. Some people aren't built for it.
>>
>>37415714
If a guy has horrible proportions for sumo (mainly long torso short arms) to the point where his back rounds even rippletits the guy that hates sumo with a passion tells people to pull sumo.
>>
What the fuck is this rom meme, the hardest part of a deadlift is picking the fucking thing off the floor. Who cares if you have to pull the weight 2 inches less. That's the easy part of the lift
>>
File: 1445625158365.jpg (288 KB, 1670x1743) Image search: [Google]
1445625158365.jpg
288 KB, 1670x1743
>>37412114
I wanted to get into this stuff since my deadlift is weak as shit as a DYEL.

What is the difference in muscle usage in the conventional and sumo deadlifts, if there is any?
>>
>mfw I tried sumo for the first time the other day and let out a loud fart I didn't know I was holding in
Luckily I was alone
>>
>>37412126
>>37412180
>>37412326
>>37412921
>>37414284
>>37415606

FUCK YOU ALL IDIOTS

http://strengtheory.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/

"Your hip structure will impact your strength and comfort in the conventional and sumo deadlift much more than factors like height and limb lengths.

There are no factors that make either the conventional or the sumo deadlift inherently easier or harder. It’s more a matter of individual strengths and weaknesses.

Hip extension demands are nearly identical between the conventional and sumo deadlifts. Conventional pulls are a little easier on your quads, and sumo pulls are a little easier on your back.

To determine which deadlift style will be best for you, just train both of them for a few months, and stick with the one that’s the strongest and most comfortable with submaximal loads. If that style is weaker with maximal loads, then it’s easy to identify the specific weakness that’s holding you back."
>>
>Pull Sumo
>Eat Butt
>>
>>37412114
>exclusive for manlets
what, isn't manlet ROM already short enough. kek
I thought sumo deadlifts were used by big guys.
>>
>>37412114

Most people who actually train both pull within 50 lbs of their max for either lift. More men under 6' pull sumo, whole more 6' and over pull conventional.
>>
>>37418448
literally this.... 6'4" and feel more comfortable doing sumo than conventional....

or am i just fucked?
>>
>>37412160
Less distance. Change up the angles + manlets have smaller lever arms = get to ego lift more plates.
>>
>>37418582

Sumos are easier to do when you have shit mobility like I do, 6"0.
>>
>>37413102
>easier
I suppose that's a good reason to prefer one exercise over another. Never gonna make it.
>>
>>37412173
narrow grip bench is a different exercise, sumo is just cheating
>>
>>37412114
I'm a manlet and I fucking hate sumo.
So I'd argue they're only for qt asian grills that pretend they lift.
>>
>>37413261
Manletking pulled sumo up to 600, then changed to conventional and improved
>>
>>37412114
I'm 6ft

As a manlet I can confirm that this is true.
>>
File: SumovsCon.jpg (68 KB, 772x488) Image search: [Google]
SumovsCon.jpg
68 KB, 772x488
>>37412114
>>
>>37412114
sumo deadlifts are a pussy meme lift for fatass IPF powerlifters to increase their total
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.