[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Box squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: box-squat3[1].jpg (43 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
box-squat3[1].jpg
43 KB, 500x333
Guys, someone explain to me wtf you're supposed to accomplish with box squats. Tons of articles online seem to think they're great but I don't understand what exactly they manage to do that regular squats don't.

> You can feel when you hit full depth.
Wouldn't taking a vid and checking form teach you to feel when you're going deep enough?

> You pause at the bottom so you don't use stretch.
Why not just pause squats? At least you have to focus not to lose tension at the bottom of those.

> You can sit back more & recruit more posterior chain/keep shins more vertical/less stress on knees blah blah
This one is the most baffling. You can't magically sit back more and still come up with heavy-ass weight if the bar doesn't stay at least approximately over the middle of the foot. So you'd have to lean forward more. How could you not do that in the regular squat?

Am I missing some biomechanics here or is it one of those "you gotta try it to see for yourself" things?
>>
Don't try to reason with Crosshit
>>
>>37381677
Not OP
I am pretty sure box squats are a legit PLing accessory, and Candito does them
>>37381567
Because at pause squats you do use stretch. You are probably confused because you think that stretch = divebombing. Stretch simply means your hamstrings are at max tension
>>
>>37381567
They stop normies from doing quarter squats.
>>
Off topic, but I hate seeing people box squat when they can't even squat 2plate under any circumstance.
>>
>>37381761
There is some stretch at pause squats because you're you need to keep that tension on the hams and glutes (I've done them for a while and liked them), but not quite as much as when you bounce in the hole, even when you're going down slowly. That said I never feel much stretch reflex anyway cause my squats are dysfunctional as shit. Which is why I wondered if box squats would be useful.
>>
>>37381567
> You can feel when you hit full depth.

You're right, taking a vid would let you know, but you'd have to watch the vid and wouldn't know until later. The box lets you know in the moment where depth is. I know I don't want to watch a vid of myself after every set.

> You pause at the bottom so you don't use stretch.

Pausing at the bottom of a free squat still retains some of the stretch reflex. With a box, you can completely relax and eliminate stretch reflex to a greater degree.

> You can sit back more & recruit more posterior chain/keep shins more vertical/less stress on knees blah blah

This one is just basically true. You can sit back more in a box squat because there is a box at the bottom to support you.

Box squats are good. They are commonly used in powerlifting, especially geared, as it has a lot of carry-over into the squat because of the way squat gear works. Box squats are also less taxing on the central nervous system and body, which means you can train them heavier more often with less fatigue. They are also a great way to teach a beginner how to squat and hit depth. That said, they are not necessary in any way. A raw lifter can do just fine without ever doing a box squat.
>>
>>37382095
Thanks senpai. I'll try 'm out some time since my squat sucks major ass anyway. Anything that could help or clue me in on how I'm fucking up should be good.
>>
>>37381567
It's the last one. Just look at a box squat, it's almost like a deadlift movement with the weight on your back.
>>
>>37381567
The vast majority of "box squats are awesome" articles concern equipped powerlifting, which involves quite different squatting mechanics than raw squatting. The box squat basically helps teach you to sit back into your squat suit and utilize the equipment as much as possible.
>>
>>37381567
>>37381677
>>37381947
https://youtu.be/2ME8gEN54Ao?t=2m52s
They help teach you how to sit back and how to engage the proper muscles when standing back up

I like using them as a training tool if someone I am training has trouble progressing to a free barbell squat

My foolproof method of learning to squat is this:
BW squat > light goblet squat > heavier goblet squat > barbell box squat > barbell squat
Obviously giving whatever technique and mobility instruction that is needed along the way
As anon has said, it's also a valuable training tool to back to, as illustrated in the video linked

The people ITT shitting on box squats almost assuredly do not squat heavy weights
>>
So I did them like 2 years ago.

>force beginners to go parallel
>gives you safety
>increases injury risk
>puts too much stress on lower back
>just like with the smith machine you eventually need to do real squats.
>>
>>37382133
3 things to focus on:
1.) Sit on the box in a slow, controlled fashion. Don't plop your butt down.
2.) Sit down completely on the box. It is not a touch and go movement.
3.) Keep your back tight and straight the whole time. Don't try to rock or shoot your torso forward to get off the box. The movement starts with hamstrings and hips.
>>
>>37382250
>BW squat > light goblet squat > heavier goblet squat
I would do this in the opposite order for someone who has trouble squatting. First heavy goblet squat, then lighter to reduce counterbalance, and only then progress to air squat once he's learned how to brace.
>>
>>37381567
cardio
>>
>>37382253
>>gives you safety
>>increases injury risk
?
>>
I think intermediate to advanced lifters can benefit with them, because you've got to keep your body tight during the sit and the motion to squat back up comes with a forceful hip extension, great for squats and deadlift training. My best squat is 607 and I see no reason to do box squats any heavier than 315. They're easy to fuck up your back with.
>>
I just see them as an overload accessory work for breaking through plateaus, kinda like benching with a shirt or slingshot with 100% or your 1rm for reps.

If Westside Barbell crew does them then so should you.
>>
>>37382311
>going heavy first and progressing to no weight
The fuck?

It's just to establish the mobility for the barbell squat
The 'light' goblet squat establishes weight to correct centre of gravity
The heavier goblet squat ensures that squatting the bar is not too heavy

Not every step there is mandatory when teaching a beginner
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.