[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ I have never been able to do a pull-up in my life.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Hey /fit/

I have never been able to do a pull-up in my life.

I'm 6'4" and 190 pounds

I've been working out for about a month

What should I do to strengthen pull-up muscles so I can finally one day do one?

>pic is me 1 year ago, before I started working out.
>>
Start narrow and do negatives.
Get a box and stand at the top of your pull up position and then lift your legs of the box and lower your self down, slowly. That will start working the muscles.
>>
>>37369109
okay awesome, thank you!
>>
>>37369078
I found doing pendlay rows to help as an assistance by working that lats.
>>
Do what exercises you can to work the muscles groups used in Pull-Ups.

Get a door frame bar off craigslist for $15.

On the days you're not working those muscles, try to do a pull up. Once you can do one, try to do two.

I'm 3 months in and now do 20 as my warm up and 20 chins when I switch from machines to free weights as part of my regular routine.
>>
>>37369109
Are narrows easier than wide grip pullups?

I don't think I've ever done a narrow pullup in my life or even tried
>>
>>37369265

Narrows really rely on your biceps more than wides. Wides are great for lats but I fnd them much harder. I can only do 5 wides.
>>
>>37369265

Yeah, for me at least. I couldn't do wide at the beginning but I could do narrow.
>>
File: pro_1.jpg (167 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
pro_1.jpg
167 KB, 600x400
>>37369288
Lats pulldown wide grip. Highly recommend!

Really helped me with my pullups
>Currently at 15x3 90kg
>>
>>37369345
That wasn't ment to be a reply, but whatever.

enjoy your (You)
>>
>>37369078
If you go to a gym with an assisted pull up machine just use that. Otherwise use:
http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html?m=1
>>
Is it possible to do a pull up wrong? Should I not do them at all if I'm tensing my neck too much? I can do like 5-6 but I think I'm using wrong muscles?
>>
>>37369078
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Scooby's pullup program. Basically do negatives in the beginning. I'm 210 and can do 2 pullups (phase 4 of scoobys program). Works wonders.
>>
>>37369781
It's possible to do almost any lift wrong and especially pull ups.
That's what good form is for.
Not sure how tensing your neck would effect your pull up though. Maybe your shoulder are too high?
Your shoulders should be down and back.
>>
File: 1461588938288.jpg (174 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
1461588938288.jpg
174 KB, 768x960
>>37370500
I have trouble doing that bc of bad posture. Should I try other exercises to improve posture, or will I eventually build the muscles required for better posture by doing bad pull ups?
>>
>>37370752
Well keeping shoulders down and back is hard to get used to at first. Maybe just stand on a chair under the pull up bar and try to get the form right until it's comfortable.

It might help if you lift your shoulder and push them forward before getting into position. Up-Down then forward-back.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.