[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, newfag here. I've read the sticky and kept lurking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 1350170578190.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1350170578190.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
Hey, newfag here. I've read the sticky and kept lurking for past two weeks, but I couldn't find any advice on the matter I am interested in.

I am quite a typical case - an 18yo in need of some additional body mass. I am 6'0 and 140 pounds. Even though I don't mind being skinny as much, I think I could maximize my body aesthetics if I had put some weight on. I'd like to have arms bigger is circumstance, a little broader shoulders, more developed back and thicker thighs (don't really care about muh abs).

I've already gathered I need to start "bulking", however, I am unsure about the exercise.
I can't really afford a gym membership right now. I have a pair of lifting weights at home and plenty of time during the week. Where should I start? Can you point me at some workout plan reasonable for my purposes?

My goal is pic related, possibly minus the abs. Thank you guys in advance.
>>
>>37350980
Try the bodyweightfitness subreddit, they have a very involved routine you can do at home without much equipment, though a pull-up bar will probably be a good investment.
>>
>>37350992
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
Bump for more replies.
>>
i think you can afford a gym. they are so cheap. you can pay like a dollar a day for a decent membership. maybe less. check it out. dont make excuses.
>>
SS+GOMAD
>>
Literally everything you want to know is in the sticky. You didn't read it faggot.

Saged and reported.
>>
>>37351164
I am not trying to make excuses, I'd like to start visiting a gym regularly desu. Dollar per day would definitely be affordable even though I live in a country where average hourly pay fluctuates around five usd. But gyms cost a lot more here and I don't want to spend all my tendies money on working out, it's not my priority in life rn.

Also, I'm a little worried I'd be insecure if I had started without any prior experience. And I definitely can't afford a personal trainer.
>>
File: 1419379295261.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1419379295261.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
>>37350980
who put the faggot filter over the pic?
>>
File: 33bzx4i.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
33bzx4i.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>37351275
>Also, I'm a little worried I'd be insecure if I had started without any prior experience

does not matter one bit. if you read the sticky and do 5x5 or SS you're already less retarded than 90% of people in there.
>>
>>37351199
No it's not, I've read it trough, supplements included. I just wanted more specific info regarding my goal, it made sense to start a new thread. But hey, I hope you already posted in daily fat hate thread or used fit for something as useful.
>>
>>37351310
unless you're gonna start going to a gym, there's not a lot we can tell you other than to start going to r/bodyweightfitness.

what you achieve in a year in the gym, you'll achieve in like 3 on a bodyweight routine tho.
>>
>>37351331
>that 1:3 ratio
Is this actually true, or is it just exaggerated?
>>
File: 1444810839659.png (639 KB, 1168x366) Image search: [Google]
1444810839659.png
639 KB, 1168x366
>>37351430
pretty much. all the jacked guys you see doing bodyweight on youtube are either not only doing bodyweight or they're on juice.
>>
>>37350980

broader shoulders and bigger back?

overhead press, arnold press, deadlifts (not one or two sets but ALL the sets that are possible with proper form), bent over row, t-rows.

also eating more is necessary for mass gain.

make sure you get your daily intake of protein (roughly 2g protein /kg bodyweight for males).

1g of protein is around 4kcal

get some fats in, unsaturated fats, so eating scrambled eggs made in sunflower oil for example is a good diet.

when you hit your protein and fat goals for the day you fill the rest with carbs.

avoid sugar though it's a slow acting carbohydrate. what you want is stuff from wholewheats, like granola bars with no sugar supplement, yoghurt, fruits, etc. etc. so it gets in your system quick, fills your mitochondrias and does not stick around forever.
>>
>>37351450
Ok then. If bodyweight isn't an option, I might try out some gym and then save up for a yearly membership, it's usually half the price that way.
>>
>>37351430
You´re not gonna get ripped in a year by doing bodyweight and you´re not going to get ripped in a year lifting weights. It needs more time. But yes bodyweight strength focuses more on structural strength - strong tendons and joint both of which don´t show visually at all, muscle mass is not the main objective. If you only care about how you look then doing compound movement for strength in a low rep range around five and assistance lift and isolation exercises for volume (for higher reps - around 12) is gonna be more efficient
>>
>>37351484

bodyweight is an option, but a slow one.

maybe you can use your weights at home?

get a barbell 30mm circumference, at least 10kg heavy and a bench. there are foldable benches you can tuck away when not in use. they fit into a small corner when folded up.
>>
>>37351450
Both, actually
>>
File: 1272401155371.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1272401155371.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
>>37351484
much better. i'd do ICF but skip squats on one of the days if you're afraid of t-rex mode, but any begginer program will do really
>>
>>37351489
Yes, I honestly only care about my physical appearance, not strength and other attributes I've got no use for really. Well to the extent I'd be willing to worsen my current health state.

I am aware that this view is a little stupid, but I am not gonna lie.
>>
>>37351468
>sugar is a slow acting carb
>complex carbs like wholewheat/granola are absorbed quickly

Wat
>>
>>37351573

that's just what I read online about carbohydrates.

there are three types, some react faster than others.

sugar was type 3 (slow) whereas wholewheat, fructose and glucose was type 1 (fast).

is that not the case?
>>
>>37351495
Would it be possible to replace some of the bench exercises with barbell by using the two smaller weights I already have (like holding them on the same level during the exercises), just for now?

>>37351468
Thanks, quite useful. I already loomed into some eating routines after going through the sticky, but specific exercises gave me a good idea about what I'll be doing.

>>37351517
Ok, I'll try. Is this the icf you spoke off ?
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
>>
>>37351611

yes dumbbell excercises are quite common and have a slight benefit over barbell excercises from what I have read.

for example you need more stabilization for barbell excercises, but they tire you faster.

also a 80kg benchpress does not translate to 40kg dumbbell press in each hand.

having a barbell will be more beneficial over time is my guess. but I don't have to replace barbell excercises with dumbbell excercises so I might be wrong here.
>>
>>37351430
not exaggerated at all. that is, if visible gains are your goal, of course. Of course there are some calisthenics people who are shredded. but they usually have been doing their shit properly for a minimum of 5 years with a good routine and diet. You can achieve the same in 2 years of lifting, easily, with a lot less time invested in working out and not as much of a strict diet.
>>
File: 1463101289565.jpg (64 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1463101289565.jpg
64 KB, 500x667
>>37351519
there's no shame in that.
If you have a lot of space, consider investing into a home gym. you only need a pullup bar, a barbell, a bench, a rack and two little mats for not fucking up your floor while deadlifting. My gym cost me about 300 bucks total and has not only already paid itself off, but enhanced my training experience (can listen to loud music, saves me time and makes it harder to excuse not going to the gym).

Then, learn proper form for deadlift, bench, squat, military press. look for the rippetoe videos on youtube, they helped me a lot. Do pullups for biceps and leg raises. That should be enough different exercises for your first year.
Also, consider using this: http://www.strengthstandards.co/
It keeps the motivation up. You can always put in your new PR and see how the green bar goes up. It visualizes your progress, and especially as a noob you have visible progress basically every workout. I have found the O'Conner formula to produce the most reliable results in a 5-10 rep range.

Work out 3 times a week, put enough calories in your body (nuts), you probably dont need 2 g of protein/kg, more like 1-1.5

If you have reached intermediate level at all your major lifts, you can come back for some more advanced advice. Always pay attention to form.
>>
>>37351649
Cool, glad to hear that. Thanks

>>37351675
Ok then. Ive seen a ton of YouTube videos about niggers doing """"natural street workout"""" on children's playgrounds, so it seemed like a possibility to me.
>>
>>37351776
as I said; they've probably been doing this for more than half a dozen years. also count in superior negro genes.
>>
>>37351611
>Ok, I'll try. Is this the icf you spoke off ?
yes
>>
>>37350980
>My goal is pic related, possibly minus the abs.

first things first, always set your goals high you fucking cunt. You may never reach perfection, but you may catch excellence on the way there.
>>
>>37350980
You can afford it, for example in the gym where i go you pay less than 1 euro/day. Just do some research around where you live
>>
>>37351756
Not that I wouldn't like to set up a gym at home, but I won't have that much money on me for quite some time (/fa/ here, so lotsa money gets blown off on clothes and I am not willing to abandon this ""hobby"").
But I'll definitely try out that link, thanks.

>>37351792
Kek, first time I've read words superior and negro in the same sentence on 4chan

>>37351812
Sorry ):
>>
>>37351858
it's less than one pair of CPs and will save you money. if you stop working out you can sell the stuff on craigslist and get out. If I put my shit on ebay or craigslist, I'd probably even make a profit. If you spend it on a gym membershit, it's gone for good.

the only reason not to get a homegym is if you're dead set on working with machines (aka moron) or it's physically impossible because you're living in a tiny dorm room.
In any other scenario it's both cheaper and better in many ways.
>>
>>37351854
I did, it costs around 3 euros per entrance, whilst I am making 5 per hour. Monthly and yearly memberships are a lot more affordable doe. So you're probably right, I will be able to pay for it if I prioritize it over something else.
>>
>>37351897
Right now, I dont have any free space available for it. I am actually still living with my parents and plan to move out by the end of summer. (Lol, right here I actually realised that I'll have to find a job anyway and money shouldn't be a problem anymore in like three months)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.