[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 19, 5'10" and 213 lbs, I'm sick of being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Epic-Gym-Fail-Treadmill.jpg (208 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Epic-Gym-Fail-Treadmill.jpg
208 KB, 960x540
I'm 19, 5'10" and 213 lbs, I'm sick of being overweight and weak.

I'm finally going to start going to a gym, but have never done a propper work out so any tips on work outs and diet would be much appreciated.
>>
My favourite one is called read the fucking sticky. SS/SL is the way to go
>>
>>37320475
if your fat run and eat less carbs
>>
>>37320602
I know, I've been doing that and had some success, but I want advice on what to do at the gym, how often to go, how long should I do stuff at the gym.

I'm honestly hopless
>>
>>37320522
This.
>>37320628
Check out http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ . As for nutrition, stay away from fast food and get lots of protein
>>
Okay, I'm going to give my best attempt at a shitty quick diet/exercise plan.

1. Balance, Mobility, technique, strength and cardio endurance are your key points. Make sure to stretch often, and get your heart beating. That's what's really important.

If you're interested I can go in depth in those.

2. Nutrition is almost more important than exercise. Stop eating processed or refined sugar. Eat cheap and healthy though.. Try to eat less cereals and grains, buy 50% fruits and vegetables. Just buy them and eat them the day you buy them, or stew/cook them for later. Buy fresh meat if you're rich, or buy nuts and frozen meat if you're poor.

Again, I can give more on this, but I'd need interest.
>>
>>37320602
eat more unprocessed carbs, eat less fat.
>>
>>37320780

3. Motivation isn't as important as you think it is. If you really think all these body builders and fit people are motivated all the time, 24 hours a day, 8 days a week, then you're delusional. No one is ever motivated all the time, but people who fight through that feeling end up being even more motivated later on. Their hard work, even when you're not motivated, pays off and rewards them with a feeling of accomplishment, that accomplishment provokes more motivation.

This is all based on my personal experience however, and I can't necessarily speak for everyone else's levels of motivation.

4. Resting/sleeping enough is right up there with nutrition. You can't function without food and sleep, and your muscles work the same way. Let them rest, and let your mind rest too. Arnold once said 6 hours of sleep is enough for anyone to live off of, and he was kind of right. In the shape he was in, with his health and muscle recovery, 6 hours was enough to run his highly efficient body. Most people have very inefficient bodies, therefore they need more sleep, and often, more food.

I don't know too much about sleep, but research it if you want more info on this.

5. Finally, your 5th step. Stop minding so much about what other people think of you. I would have put this as #1, but now that it's #5 you'll probably remember this one the most. I find the biggest inhibitor to healthy living is the fear of being judged for how much you've let yourself go. Just remember to ask yourself if you laugh or care about how anyone else looks in the gym. When you realize you're so focused on your own body, you'll realize, so is everyone else. Everyone is too busy worrying about their bodies to be bothered with yours.

There, those are my 5 steps to fitness I just made up on the spot for you.
>>
File: no humanity.jpg (67 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
no humanity.jpg
67 KB, 960x960
DO YOU NOT SEE THE FUCKING DINO
>>
>>37320780
Yeah, going into depth would be great.

Do you know any good workout plans for me to get started on
>>
>>37320884
Yes. Give me a few minutes to get this all typed out.
>>
>>37321069
Cheers
>>
>>37320884

Okay, to start out you're going to want to do mostly cardio. If you want to spend money, you can join a kick boxing class or any martial arts that are less traditional. If not, you're going to have to grind it out alone with a lot of running.

If you join kickboxing, they'll pretty much give you what ever plan I'm about to give you, but you would do it in a group setting, which helps a little with motivation.
If you're going it alone, you're going to want to start jogging and stretching. Cardio is the basis foundation of all exercise. Even huge guys get cardio in without knowing it sometimes. IF you don't have good cardiovascular health, lifting weights, fighting, or any exercise in general is going to be difficult.

Next, you'll need to work on flexibility and balance. Yoga is super gay, but if you want to do that you can. I just like to stretch good and make sure my balance is solid. It's as easy as standing on one leg and stretching your other thigh. Or one leg and stretching down to touch your toes. Later on, you can do the fun balancing stuff with bars and ledges (parkour type balance) but for now, you can focus on tippy toes and standing on one foot. Stretch every day if you can, but remember to do a little warm up cardio exercise to get your muscles ready for a stretch.

Now you can work on technique. Technique doesn't always come before strength for a lot of people these days, but it really should. I'll give you a list of exercises per body part in another post, but it's really important you focus on the technique of the exercise, and not the number of reps or times you can do the exercise. 1 good push up is worth 5 shitty ones type of thing. This can be applied to martial arts too. Technique is a huge focus in any martial art, and being able to perform the movements the proper way really helps you develop the full muscle.
>>
>>37321364

Finally, we have strength. This should be the last concern you ever have. Strength will come with repetition of any technique, and it will come if you do enough cardio and balance training. Look at gymnasts, they're amazingly balanced, flexible and they can flip their bodies around, so they clearly have strength. You don't need to be big to be strong. If you want to move up in weight, make sure you've continued the proper technique, and move back down weight if you can't lift it properly. If you feel comfortable lifting a certain weight, keep lifting that, just more times than you could before. Once you're confident in moving up weight, that's when you should move up.

Now mobility is also important, but you've already got a sense of mobility to begin with, and when you're in better shape, you're going to have a very different view and sense of mobility. Mobility is the most important thing about your body. If you're working out so that you look better, you're probably going to have a hard time committing, and you'll lose motivation fast. Train and exercise so that you can move better. So your body becomes more efficient in movement. Walking should be easier, running should be easier, everything involving movement will be easier when you exercise.

Next post will be which exercises you should do for which body part, and you should work out every body part. That way your body is as balanced as possible.
>>
Holy shit brah same height and weight to a t, mirin our stats, let's lean down together
>>
>>37321377
-Back & core
For back and core, you should do a lot of pulling exercises. Each area over laps many times, but to focus more on your back, try doing pulls ups. Wider the grip, the more you're hitting your back, and less your arms. If you want to use weights, stick to dead lifts (don't snap your back), bent over rows, and weighted hyper extensions. For your core, please do not do sit ups. Sit ups have got to be the most useless work out I've ever seen. Do hanging leg swings, bicycles on your back, planking and leg raises. There are many others, just try to avoid sit ups. Youtube callisthenics movement if you want some kick ass abdominal work outs.

-Arms, chest, triceps and shoulders
Arms and triceps are a lot of pull exercises too, but you're going to need pushing for your chest and shoulders as well as your triceps and biceps. Pulling exercises for your chest and shoulders are pretty useless in my opinion. They exist, but a standard bench press or push up is way better. Do a lot of push ups for chest, callisthenics movement has a lot of variations on those too, and remember you can switch up between wide and close grip. Close grip pull ups and push ups work your arms a lot more. Wide grip push ups do chest, and pull ups do back and shoulders. A good military press or bench press can have the same effect if you want to bulk up more with weights in the gym.

-Legs
For legs I like to keep them slim. Not in a way where my legs are skinny, I just don't want massive legs. Body squats and lunges are perfectly fine. Box jumping or even just jumping squats are awesome for you, and they help your knees take impact better. When ever you hear people say "I can't do that, I have bad knees." It's because they never practice impact so their knees are weak as fuck. Running is great for impact and leg strength too. Sprint for 15 seconds then rest for 45 and sprint again/repeat. Do that 5-10 times or until you're too exhausted to sprint any more.
>>
>>37321541
Thanks a lot
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.