[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/healt h/americans-health-obesi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: Snip20160525_1.png (320 KB, 1037x539) Image search: [Google]
Snip20160525_1.png
320 KB, 1037x539
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/health/americans-health-obesity-diabetes/index.html

How do people let themselves get fat? I really don't even understand the psychology behind it. To me, eating an appropriate amount of food is as simple as using a turn signal when changing lanes.
>>
Easy access to massive amounts of good tasting carbs.
>>
Why can't skeley fags ever bulk properly

Why can't fat cunts ever cut properly
I wonder if their lifelong habits have anything to do with this? Nah, can't be.
>>
>>37307721

Still doesn't explain it to me.

I have 10,000 calories in snacks in my kitchen right now. I just eat them with meals or when I feel hungry. After getting full I stop eating.
>>
>>37307693
Not everyone has the same experience as you.

Do you think the poor kid growing up with basically not nutritional education and parents who have fed them a terrible diet is going to have much chance?

To them, they have grown up with terrible eating habits .

Also look around you. Is healthy food advertised ? No. We don't hear about new healthy food. We hear about the fucking quesalupa
>>
>>37307759
Muh flaming hot cheetos
Muh durrrritos
Muh pepsi
>>
>>37307693
>Obesity rates climbing in the U.S.

It's ironic that the rates are climbing because climbing is exercise.
>>
Because people consume their calories in liquid form and routinely confuse the thirst that dehydrating drinks like soda bring on with hunger.

>tfw a friend of mine got a kidney stone and I'm happy because it means he'll likely give up soda and lose weight as a result
There's hope yet.
>>
The people who are fattest around me all drink alcohol heavily. I think liquid calories in general are sneaky.
>>
>>37307759
That's the thing OP. You keep active. You burn most if not more than what you intake, depending on what you do.
These inhuman, savage sacks of lard don't move.

And because of their mass, their weight, and their health complications they are less than human, because they have intentionally become that way all the while making others put up with them, and even shape the societies they live in to mold to their excessively large frame and fragile egos.

Those of them who choose not to help themselves, deserve nothing short of the deaths they'll eventually receive due to their unhealthy lifestyle choice.

May they die swiftly, and set an example for future generations.
>>
>>37307904
Wow, that's amazing
>>
Aging population and non white immigration has to be considered for as well.
>>
>>37307762

> terrible diet

But it's not the quesalupa, doritos, etc...

Its just a question of quantity. How does a person not realize they are eating too much?

To me it'd be like cheating on my wife, and while inside another girl I'm like, "sorry honey I didn't realize I was doing this"
>>
>>37307956
Gotta have my pop with din din and lunch, what, it's just pop it's not that bad for you!
>>
>>37308110
They eat their feelings
>>
Good. More fat people means my aesthetics will be even more rare. I don't even care.
>>
>>37307956
>liquid calories
this.
>>
>>37308120
I'm in the process of weaning myself off soda and when I do cave in and have one I almost always regret it. I think I'm losing my taste for them. Also, I never realized how bullshit Gatorade was until I started getting /fit/.
>>
>>37308175
This right here when it comes to aesthetics. I'm the only guy I know with abs, so be it.

I do dislike the fact that your avg American weighs like 180lbs at 5'10". It's harder to stand out as being "big" when everybody is already overweight by default.
>>
>>37307693
Like 50% of Americans never use their turn signals.
>>
>>37307693
The main thing is having a hard time knowing when to stop eating. Throughout my teen years I would just eat and eat and eat not really realizing that I was eating way too much. I thought I was eating ~2200-2500 cal a day but when I started tracking I realized I was eating upwards of 3000 calories all while doing no physical activity. My problem was that I was just always hungry and whenever I was finished with eating something I wanted more. Apparently it's something to do with leptin or w/e but the point is that some people have ridiculous appetites and it's much easier for them to eat too much without realizing it.

That being said once you see your waist expanding that's when you should start eating less
>>
>>37307693

>america is an obese shit country

whats new?
>>
>>37307721
*good tasting high caloric foods
>>
>>37307956
I'd have to agree with this guy, but not just alcohol.
Drinks in general.
The average drink in america has anywhere from 80-200 calories per 12oz.
and people down them constantly.

The majority of your liquids are suppose to be water only, not juice, not cola, just water.
Right off the bat people are fucking themselves over.
Even people who eat moderately and decently proportioned meals with ok nutrition.
2 colas a day can fuck that up hardcore by pushing 320 extra calories.
>>
>>37308382
>mfw people think orange juice in the morning is healthy
>mfw they also still have their coffee with sugar and cream
>mfw they are literally drinking more calories than they eat for breakfast, meaning they'll be hungry in an hour or 2
>mfw they keep saying "But I barely even eat anything for food!" without realizing the damage they do by just drinking this shitty stuff
>>
> burgerstan: nor even once
>>
>>37307693
>>37307693
When I visited the US for the first time last summer, one of the things that struck me the most was the size of the rations - and how often people eat.

People were eating CONSTANTLY and huge rations too! And the food was usually pretty tasty on top of that. (Or at least the food I ate was really good, socal yo). Add to that all the complementary food items like boba, snacks and ice cream... and it's just a calorie bomb.
I also went to a McDonalds for the first time in +10 years in the US, which I regret but it was more to see what's a McDonald's like in the birthplace of, well, McDonald's. The smallest drink size, which was the children's one, was as big as the biggest drink I can get here in Europe, fucking ridiculous. And boy was that an awful hamburger, one of the worst I had eaten in a long time and the fries were absolute shit. And the place, in the middle of nowhere and in late afternoon, had customers entering constantly, nonstop.
So it's no wonder they get fat - add to that lack of any physical exercise what-so-ever as you can't do anything without a car which means you end up not even walking. And everybody gets fat.
>>
>>37308444
I broke my cut yesterday by ordering a baja blast with my food from Taco Bell.
Shit was like 350 calories, from one drink.
I have to make it up today by hiking a few hours.

For one drink, totally not worth it.

I can only imagine the people who do this daily at every fast food place.
>>
>>37308227
Sometimes, after a rave or a hike or something particularly exerting, I'll have a Gatorade or powerade zero, but only the kind with no calories. Why would I dump extra sugar into myself?
>>
>>37308110
>How does a person not realize they are eating too much?

They don't think about how much they eat and it's easy to overeat before you feel full when eating carbs.
>>
When I was in college, my apartment was above some Mexican fast food place and an Asian rice bowl place. I visited those places every single fucking day for lunch and dinner. For like a year. Had a soda with each meal. Also visited the Cold Stone nearby pretty often. Breakfast was milk and cereal. I bought junk food (mostly frito lay honey bbq twists and mountain dew) too. Basically, my diet was shit and I never exercised. My heaviest was 215 at 5'11. I don't know how these fucks do it. They have to be eating so much shit.
>>
>>37308218
Seconded. Drinking calories is the worst. And we have this culture here that water is bad. It's fucking bizarre. My gf literally cannot drink water unless it's ice cold. She fucking wonders why she's fat when her diet is probably 80% carbs - toast with jelly (sugar with sugar topping) for breakfast, a bowl of sugary as fuck chocolate lucky charms after dinner.

And then we have my brother: at least a fifth of whisky a week, chased with coke or Pepsi. And not diet soda, no, because that "has so many chemicals in it", like your fucking soda isn't laced with phosphoric acid to prevent you from fucking vomiting because it's so sweet. Nights that he drinks, he probably consumes thousands of calories in liquids alone. Not even touching the drunk eating.

My fucking roomie? She will make and eat an entire cake. She currently has a cake on the counter, a cheesecake in the fridge, and some abomination called "magic cookie bars" in the oven.

We're so fat as a culture and a country, we disgust me.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 500x500
As a formerly obese American, Id say it's primarily a few things.
>Liquid Calories
>Primarily Sedentary lifestyle
>Cheap Processed foods

It's also not demonized as much anymore as it used to be. Like I knew that I was fat, but it never really quite "clicked" in my head until my new GP at the time was 100% real with me and basically said "Son you're fat as fuck and eating yourself into an early grave, do you want hot women and to be strong or a loser".

Thankfully I've suffered no long term effects besides losing out on my highschool years...
>>
>>37308110

Bruh its difficult to bulk when eating healthy. It was the end of the day and I wasnt close to meeting my intake, so I said fuck it and went to get a couple microwave burritos at 711

Those fucking things had nearly 1000 calories a piece

If you diet is shit and you have no nutritional standards, I could see it being very easy to over eat

Not that I'm making excuses for most people, but it makes me fucking furious to think of kids being raised on shit like that. Working in food service for years, even at upperclass places, people buy their kids mac cheese nuggets and soda every time. No standards
>>
>>37308769

You trying to burn out your pancreas, bruh? Here's your new Gatorade recipe: tap water, some salt, throw some proton powder in there too while you're at it.

You're welcome.
>>
File: LR_MaxiJazz_MG_0785A.jpg (98 KB, 560x501) Image search: [Google]
LR_MaxiJazz_MG_0785A.jpg
98 KB, 560x501
>>37308647
In the words of maxi jazz, front man of Faithless: "america's big, you'd love how they pile up your plate. Only place in the world even I can gain weight."
>>
>>37308862
If you were a woman you would've sued
>>
>>37307693
A good question with many causes. People write entire books on the issue, and they are nuanced and complex. You should study sociology, biology psychology, history, politics, etc and zero in on the relevant factors.

I will do my best to sum up as succinctly as possible, an insane amount of information but given you lack a background, you might not accept the conclusions. All backed by science and or their requisite fields of inquiry.

Facts:

1. Overabundance of foods high in fat, salt, and sugar are as addictive or more additive than cocaine. You wonder why obese people cannot stop, but not the heroin addict.

2. Entrenched and systemic poverty, food deserts,(no grocery stores nearby), low income means less time for food. Low income parents have less time to try and get kids to eat healthy and give up on broccoli, while richer parents can keep trying. As adults, heakhy food literally tastes better because of this socialization.

3. Negative cognitive impact of poverty causes bad decision making, like unhealthier foods.

4. Heavy marketing of bullshit to children.
>>
>>37307759
>After getting full I stop eating.Fat people usually eat only until they get "full" as well. But then the next time they get PR and get to eat a little bit more, and then a little bit more, and then a little bit more... and then it gets to the point that eating like a normal human being makes them feel like they're rabbits. Normal portion sizes no longer even register on their stomachs.
>>
>>37308935
He was actually my Pediatrician/family friend and he watched me grow up. Thankfully he had the balls to say what he said, changed my life forever.

Women are retarded. More fat cunts need shamed into losing weight, maybe they wouldn't be so insufferable.
>>
>>37309055
I thought you ate until you were not hungry instead of "full"? I'd be sluggish as fuck if I ate my fill everytime I sat down to eat.
>>
>>37308110
This guy has it right: >>37308146

Comfort eating is a real issue. They stop eating to feel satiated and quench hunger and start eating to feel good. Because while they're getting all that sweet dopamine, they stop feeling lonely, they stop feeling ugly... they even stop feeling all the physical pain they get from their obesity.
>>
>>37309089
It really depends on what you're getting full with.

I usually drink 1~1.5L of water with each meal, and by the end of it I will be so full that I can't take another bite. But this will not be uncomfortable and I'll stop feeling full just a few minutes later.

Now if you get full in heavy foods only, then it's shit...
>>
>>37309043
5. No access to gym or income for it, outdoors areas are either not pedestrian friendly or just inhospitable to outdoor exercise.
>>
>>37307971
Very well written, unpopulair opinion. Never looked at it this way.
>>
Because addiction. When you feed your brain a reward constantly (in this case, shitty, sugary food), it wants to constantly repeat the behavior so it gets continually rewarded. Since eating shit food is an easy reward that you don't work hard for (unlike lifting or running), the brain goes into auto pilot mode and wants to constantly eat to get that reward.
>>
>>37308227
Gatorade is great for refueling while running. Since you don't run ("muh cardio ruinz muh gainz"), you don't know this.
>>
>>37307759
Some doctors have a pretty good theory that the genetic part of being a fatty is that some part of the body's "We're full, stop eating- okay we're hungry again, eat some more." cycle gets fucked up. So either you have fatties who just gorge continuously every second of the day because their body can't get their brain to understand they're full, or people who eat everything like it's goddamn Chinese food and want to eat again in an hour. This completely fucks up their natural portion control.
Skeletons, incidentally, have the opposite problem in the same cycle. Either they only eat a few bites of whatever's in front of them, or they go on unintentional intermittent fasts.
>>
I don't understand how other people can not understand anything that isn't their own personal life experience. Is it really that hard to picture yourself in someone else's shoes? Oh right I forgot that's empathy and everyone on 4chan is autistic so it's impossible for them to fathom anything outside of their own specific life experience and situation, there's no way anyone else could have possibly grown up in a different way and not have experienced the exact same things they do, that's impossible!
I mean really, it's about as obtuse as asking "Why doesn't that starving African child just decide to go eat something? Geeze, it's so easy for me, I can't imagine not just eating when I'm hungry, why do they just let themselves starve?"
>>
>>37308444
What's wrong with some OJ? Not talking about the processed artificial ones, just some natural 0 sugar OJ.
>>
>>37309462
>natural 0 sugar OJ

let me off this ride
>>
>>37307721

>carbs

CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT

carbs is irrelevant
>>
>>37307971
I was watching a shitty paranormal investigation show. Demon files or demon hunters or some shit
> fat fuck family into occult shit
> decide house is infested
> Fat fuck husband, woody, was "attacked" by the demon
>> I felt a huge pressure on my chest and had a heart attack. I was totally healthy so doctors couldn't explain it. It can only be the work of the demon
The fat fuck's gut hangs so low he can't have seen his dick for 5 years
>>
>>37309462
> fructose isn't sugar
>>
>>37309465
I'm talking about making some orange juice at home with real oranges and no added sugars, fucking ape.
>>
>>37309493

Pump is gross though =/
>>
>>37309493
>take out all the fiber and flavanoids
>leave all the sugar

IT'S STILL GOOD FOR ME
>>
>>37309043
But dumb people can't just be likely to stay poor and have delayed gratification issues
>>
>>37309506
I'm probably wrong but I'm pretty sure fibre doesn't work like that
>>
>>37309516
well you are wrong, just as you predicted
>>
>>37309298
Only for endurance running otherwise its basically pop
>>
>>37309043
Don't forget that people probably don't know much about health and nutrition; I wasn't taught anything about it until like high school, and by then it's too late for some kids. It's especially bad if they've been reading up on broscience because they're too young to know what a "scientific study" is.
>>
>>37307693
It's all the fucking prescription drugs OP. Americans are on that shit like Kanye on handouts.
>>
>>37308849
disgusting
>>
File: image.png (122 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
122 KB, 640x1136
And then they wonder why they go after white women.
>>
>>37308849
magic cookie bars are dank as fuck bro, i used to love that shit as a kid. Now i just eat brown rice, boiled chicken and broccoli with a nice glass of water. If i tried eating them now i would probably gag, i must protect the gains
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ITE2ScSmQ

what the fuck is this shit. I thought it was just trolling but there's an entire series of this shit.
>>
>>37309543
Legit.
>>
>>37309493
>he doesn't realize oranges are naturally very sugar ridden

>he doesn't realize you should only consume 20g< a day
>>
>>37307904

Brevity is the soul of wit, well done anon.
>>
>>37309481
His description of a demon attacking him, is a heart attack.

He's delusional though, and those "hunters" that have their own show eat that shit up.

He's too delusional to even admit to himself he's a fat fuck.

I bet the doctor didn't even run a test and told the god damn animal to run himself.

Fat people are disgusting.
>>
>>37307693
Because I don't shop for my food and I have no fucking idea what to buy . The sticky doesn't have a shopping list for food. So All I do is lift.
>>
>>37309580
It's actually around 50g. You can eat/drink 4 oranges with that.
>>
Its all carbs and added sugar. My favorite food are bagels, but I limit myself to one or two every once in a while, because those things with butter are 450cal a piece. And when I mention it to people and they go on about how I'm counting calories or some shit. No respect for fatties ever.
>>
>>37309516
>Dietary fiber or roughage is the indigestible portion of food derived from plants
when you make a juice you remove the fiber leaving what basically amounts to sugar water with some vitamins in it.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>37309579
>>
>>37309620
Actually they walked out because the wife wouldn't admit she was fucking around with ouji boards, wicca shit and tarot cards when they had tweets and forum posts of her discussing it. The fat fuck reckons he made a "deal with the devil" and didn't tell them either.

I mean the whole thing's bullshit but I couldn't stop laughing at the fat fuck claiming his heart attack was a fucking demon
>>
>>37309634
>50 grams of sugar a day

okay, enjoy your obesity pal
>>
>>37309689
Didn't realize you were an MD. Then again I guess everyone on fit is.
>>
>>37309666
Nice Satan trips.

But yeah it's ridiculous what measures they'll go through to hide their own insecurities.

Given how obvious their overall size and distended gut is, it's amazing they're able to fool themselves of the truth when it's being carried by them each day.
>>
>>37307956
based
>>
>>37307693
Are these threads ever not a circke jerk?
>>
>>37309462
whats wrong with water
>>
From personal experience, it's a combination of different factors: personal appetite, diets not checked by parents, and lack of physical activity.

I was never much of a soda drinker, but I drank juice like it was going off the market. Add that to an already huge appetite (due to consuming all that juice, and then needing food for another boost), a lack of exercise (I played outside with other kids but when you're eating like that it doesn't matter how much you run around), and eating a lot of fast food (I was eating supersized shit from McDonald's in the second grade), you pretty much have a perfect storm.

I recently started going to the gym and cleaning up my diet, I'm seeing improvement but this abdominal and thigh fat is stubborn af.
>>
>>37309768
Try tumblr if you want someone to lie to you while you become an ever increasing burden on society until your painful and inevitable early death.

Well I say early but really, it still takes far too long for the cost involved
>>
>>37309493
ARE YOU A RETARD?
>>
>>37307693
Fat parents raise fat children. It's a terrible cycle and these kids grow up being overweight/obese their entire lives.

Honestly at a certain point over BMI the parents should be accused of child abuse.
>>
>>37309797
>Try tumblr if you want someone to lie to you while you become an ever increasing burden on society until your painful and inevitable early death.

Rolling ny fucking eyes so hard right now buddy.
>>
>>37309857

I think Reddit might be more your speed
>>
>>37307956
>>37308382
>"Haha I'm gonna be bad and have a soda which I only have at the low frequency of once per day!"
>"I've been ssooo unhealthy lately instead of the lunch I usually have I'm just going to have a 44oz smoothie and a little snack to go with it"
>Has a shitty diet and tries to make up for it by drinking massive quantities of "healthy" fruit juice
>Any beverage that's naturally unsweet, tea or coffee, has to have heaping amounts of sugar and or flavored sugary creamer because they've lost all ability to taste anything with less then 10 grams if sugar in it.

Liquid calories fucking destroy people before you even count the alcohol. I literally can't watch one of my friends prepare her coffee in the morning because it is disgusting how much sugar she uses- around 2 tablespoons- for one small cup. I can't even blame people for thinking fruit juice is healthy, there's just so much false information around it's insane. It's so weird, everyone eats so you'd think that the majority of the population would fucking know what healthy for them and what's not, but barely anyone knows. I blame it partly on people being dumb as shit and also that the agriculture industry and food lobby are greedy as hell and will pay anything to make sure that the average american remains in the dark about healthy eating.
>>
>>37310277
You're killing me over here
>>
File: 1464050135237.png (49 KB, 198x188) Image search: [Google]
1464050135237.png
49 KB, 198x188
>>37307721
>Carbs determine weight gain instead of calories
>>
>>37311331
Carbs that taste incredible are generally quickly digested and contain a lot of calories.
>>
>>37307693
Monster portions, carbs, sweets, emotional eating, booze, stretchy pants.
>>
File: 1464145667529.jpg (11 KB, 259x253) Image search: [Google]
1464145667529.jpg
11 KB, 259x253
>>37311363
Well then it's the calories either way, fag.

Not that I dont love the taste either. I usually allow McDonalds once a month or so.
>>
>>37309551

Most of the FPS threads are obese, American white females.
>>
>>37307956
This, or they have soda or they have cup after cup of "coffee" with a ton of cream and sugar in it. The only time in my life I got fat was because of alcohol, it's fattening as hell.
>>
>>37308917
>tfw can't get no sleep
>>
>>37309151
I just got back from uni and this is my problem now with running. I have a work gym for lifting still, but where I live there are virtually no sidewalks, and we also have a huge problem with aggressive dogs (fucking pit bulls and their ghetto ass owners) that make running incredibly unsafe. Every summer I put on five to ten pounds from lack of sufficient exercise. It's no wonder so many people around here are walking dumplings with the lack of safe exercise space.
>>
>>37309493
You must be retarded kiddo. Fruits have a fuck ton of natural sugar already in it, meaning calories. You don't have to add sugar to it. Goddamit this has to be bait
>>
>>37309722
Actually I'm going through med school right now with a bachelors in nutrition. He's right. Sorry
>>
>>37309462
>o sugar oj

The fuck are you on about? The sugars in oj are fructose, which is processed by the liver. When your liver is overwhelmed by fructose, it basically just starts turning it into fat.
>>
>>37309546
Fuck yes. At least my girlfriend has the decency to admit she's a lardass and that I can do better. Boggles my mind that she won't change, though.

On the plus side, she helps me reach my goals and is a decent spotter.
>>
>>37309554
Magic cookie bars or any other sweet are OK as a treat. But an entire pan? By herself? And she leaves it out, trying to get us to eat them for her so she doesn't feel guilty.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.