[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial arts thread? What are you training? How long? Been in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
Martial arts thread?

What are you training? How long? Been in any matches?

Any tips for beginners?
>>
>>37121465

Height and strength > fighting skills.

I'm 6'2'' 200lbs with 1/2/3/4 lifts and I'm confident that I could take down manlet fighters like McGregor without any fighting expierence... I mean what can this 5'8'' manlet even do, he can't even reach me with his tiny arms.
>>
>>37121493
Mediocre bait. 4/10
>>
>>37121465
collegiate boxing for a year, sparred a shit ton but only fought once so far
>>37121493
yeah your confident till you hit the floor with your glass jaw. i'm 5'10" with 1/2/3/4 for 2x5 at 165lbs. I'm confident you wouldn't last a round in the ring fatty.
>>
>>37121515
I'm beginning boxing, and I've looked for good gloves but stuff like Twins is fairly expensive. Any other brands worth checking out?
>>
>>37121531
I just use ringsides, if you aren't dropping lots of money on a pair of grants/winnings/reyes then ringsides or hayabusas should be what you get imo
>>
>>37121642
can't really find those in the Netherlands. What kind of Hayabusa should I look for?
>>
can i get half decent at boxing in 2 months?

also is boxing + judo a good basis for self defence?
>>
>>37122797
If you want to spar get some 16oz gloves. Some hayabusa ikusa gloves are on sale right now at hayabusafightwDon't co.uk
Dont use your sparringgloves on the heavybag or prepare to make people angry.

For bagwork get some cheap 10 or 12oz gloves.
>>
>>37122837
btw i plan on training boxing 6 days a week for that 2 months.
>>
>>37121465
14 years TKD competed internationally
>TKD
2 years MMA, just interclub stuff
Bit of bjj and judo
Currently doing kudo/daido-juku. Got Kanto qualifiers for all Japan championships in Sept
>>
>>37122849
Define half decent
Yes
>>
File: images-2.jpg (5 KB, 294x172) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
5 KB, 294x172
>>37121465
Look at that muscle inbalance
>>
>>37122863
able to not look like a retard if i go to a random boxing gym. also, i did muay thai for a few years when i was in my teens so i'm not completely starting froms scratch with regards to throwing basic punches, main thing i see as a difficulty to learn is head movement.
>>
>>37122894
Probably.
>>
>>37122849
You can hold your own in a fight for sure. I don't know where you put being half decent at. I put decent at hobby level. It's nowhere near professional though
>>
I'm going to do a 5 week kickboxing course. What can I expect? Of course this is highly dependent on the place, etc. but what would be reasonable to expect for a complete noob?

>>37122848
>Dont use your sparringgloves on the heavybag or prepare to make people angry
Why? Just curious.
>>
>>37122894
Bob n weave comes natural. It's setting up combos that take experience. Jabs are gonna be your friend for a long time. I did it long enough that I have guard ptsd. Where I'll enter guard stance the moment I think something is coming at me subconsciously. It's stupid as fuck when it happens but it comes without thinking
>>
>>37122920
A waste of time.
>>
>>37122929
why?
>>
>>37122953
A "5 week course" screams money-spinning shit to me.
>>
>>37122920
If you do it often enough it might ruin the padding making the gloves harder as intended. It will also safe you money because your gloves will last longer.
>>
>>37122975
It's given by the University MMA/Kickboxing club for 'free' (there's a 10euro deposit which you get back if you attend all classes). These courses are basically a chance to introduce students to different sports without major obligations and such.

>>37123010
thanks
>>
im looking into martial arts because i feel like using my trained body for something, fuck that bodybuilding shit

im not into all that self defense, im just into fighting in a ring

how long will it take before you are ready? a year?
>>
>>37123010
How cheap 10-12 oz bag gloves should you get?
>>
>>37123121
Depending on style and aptitude, yeah.
>>
>>37123171
Whatever you can afford I guess. I just think that having good sparring gloves is more important because these are the ones you are going to stuff into other people's faces. Maybe try to look for something with good wrist protection. And don't hit anything without handwraps.
>>
Tips for BJJ? 2nd week and I'm getting tapped out a little slower than I was the first
>>
>>37121465
iam a rapist, does it count as martial art.
>>
>>37123431
Thinking about Green Hill Pro bag gloves, heard the sparring gloves are good quality.
>>
>>37121465
Yeah, I've been training muay thai for 4 years. I've had 13 amateur fights so far and have won them all, planning on heading to thailand soon for a little while. Tips for beginners? Conditioning and stamina are key.
>>
I want to start kickboxing,

but the thought of kickboxing being cardio holds me back, dont want to lose my gains brehs

wat do
>>
>>37123618
How do I get better at throwing elbows and round kicks? For round kicks my legs start hurting after a couple and I need to shake it off, do I just keep kicking the bag till they get stronger? How do you condition?
>>
> Muay thai/boxing/MMA
> Been training boxing since I was 14 (21YO now), been training muay thai/MMA since a year ago
> Had 2 fights amateur boxing won my first one since I was really serious about training lost my second since I took it last minute and was super unfit. Now I wouldn't fight competitively in any sport coz I ain't got nothing to prove.

If you're a beginner do Boxing/Muay thai for a lil while before you start learning wrestling/grappling, no use being a brown belt in BJJ if you've never took a punch/can't deliver a stunning blow to use your grappling skills. Street fights are 80% Striking, 15% Clinching/Wrestling and 5% floorwork so adjust your training accordingly.

Stick to: Boxing, MT, BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Krav Maga
Avoid: Karate, American kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, taekwando, kempo, aikido etc etc (Meme martial arts)
>>
>>37123650

> He fell for the cardio = no gains meme

You will die in a combat situation bro, if you can't fight or at least run away.
>>
>>37123509
Relax and keep your limbs close to your body. Also keep your chin tucked.
>>
>>37123833
If being in a combat situation is ever a reasonable consideration you need to move or stop being a cunt.

>>37123816
>krab magoo
>not a meme martial art
>>
>>37123816

Mostly correct but the wrestling is a shit opinion. I did that all through middle and high school and it exclusively wins every fight I get involved in. Explosive speed combined with grabbing and dumping someone on the ground usually knocks the wind out of them. I've taken a hit a few times while going in, but they are so shocked it's usually a really shit, weak punch that barely stings.
>>
>>37121465
Boxing+Judo also gun and kinfe form Kwan Ki Do

My whole life, so 33 years

Spar almost every week lots of randori too. local competitions is the farthest I've gone and the farthest I want to go. I just don't like competing as much as I like showing up and having fun.
>>
>>37123652
Elbows some people never really get good at, honestly, just train them to oblivion with repetition and variety. At first yeah your shins are gonna be aching, but they'll toughen up and harden after a few months. I'd advise wearing shin guards for sparring as well, obviously. I condition mainly by doing a lot of sprints and skipping rope, or I'll go run a couple miles and do a couple rounds of sparring daily.
>>
What if I'm honestly looking to learn how to throw the hardest punch accurately? I did Take Kwon Do for years, but since it's primarily kicking focused, punches were hardly stressed. I could probably kick someone in half, but i really just want to learn how to throw a fucking stupidly hard hitting punch. Would boxing be the best bet?
>>
>>37123816
Why avoid karate (even kyokushin from a non-McDojo?) and American kickboxing?
>>
>>37124028
Boxing

>>37124066
Because he's an idiot. He think commando LARP is legit. Kyokushin will see you well for an realistic scenario. No, it's not perfect but nothing is.
>>
>>37124005
How often do you train and for how many hours a day?
>>
>>37124107

As a southpaw, that's probably excellent then. Sucks that i love in a shithole area and the only boxing classes are taught by the police though.
>>
>>37124157
where?
>>
>>37124170

Middle of nowhere in Indiana.
>>
>>37124107
thanks m8
>>
Can anyone recommend a martial art? Right now i have jiu-jitsu, northern shaolin kung fu, taekwondo, kapap(similar to krav maga) and aikido available.
>>
>>37121465
Training MMA for about 6 months now. I love it. Never been in any matches.

Tips: Don't worry about the flashy stuff, get the foundations right. How to do main punches, how to push off your feet, how to take someone down, some major bjj moves. Later every flashy move you'll learn, like spinning elbows, capoeira kicks and shit like that will be really easy to learn because you'll actually know how your body works.
Also, lifting will do nothing for your striking, unless you do explosive exercises. It will help a lot with wrestling and bjj, but won't make you punch any harder. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>37124339
Jiu jitsu is the only non-bullshit listed so bjj
>>
>>37124425
What's wrong with kung fu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjVdTy1fj4
>>
>>37121465
muh knuckle toughening is going good, can punch skulls without pain in my hand.
>>
>>37121531
I got 16 Oz Everlast, Everlast all the way
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.