[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit bros. Would like some contribution to a much needed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 1443343735371.jpg (98 KB, 1056x704) Image search: [Google]
1443343735371.jpg
98 KB, 1056x704
Hey /fit bros. Would like some contribution to a much needed self improvement thread.

I'm about to fail and drop out of uni one year out from completing my degree which will be the biggest failure in my life so far. I'm trying to get all the info i can on making it outside of having a degree, since im not one to mope about and feel sorry for myself. self improvement general, and ama.
>>
>>37056374
major and why are you dropping out? Also plans after dropping out?
>>
>>37056385
sport and exercise science. I'm hating the degree and i don't feel passionate about anything i can do with it after. so far plan is to work and save up, do some travel and find out what i could do with my life. im good with people so that helps. 22 btw
>>
>>37056374
I dropped out first time, was in over my head and just racked up debt. Came back 10 years later and graduated with honors. I was a pussy then. There is nothing I cant do now.
>>
>>37056415
This sounds kind of like me. I've grown heaps at uni, but im only stil here because my parents kind of pushed me into studying. I'm not good at anything i dont take personal responsibility for, so maybe i need to do what you've done and study on my own terms when im ready?
>>
get a job, learn how every aspect of it works, work for yourself. remember, the middle man makes the most money.
>>
>>37056465
So, get involved and get contacts in business then start my own? got a story behind it if thats what you did?
>>
>>37056441
Up to you. I mean I'm in a great spot, but I wish I could have achieved everything 10 years ago. I needed those years to grow up cause I had shit for brains and my family was useless. You don't become the person who can decide what person you want to be till you about 28, or even later. Your brain is still developing till then, and shit gets really messy.
>>
>>37056576
I get what you're saying, thanks for your help bro. I think I'm just gonna focus on improving myself and learning as a grow up, and enjoy the ride until i find what i want to do
>>
>>37056374
I dropped out. Went back, dropped out. Again and again. NEET for a number of years--downward spiral of depression, alcoholism, nihilism in general leading to disability. Jackpot, right? Wrong. Don't be like me.

Now I'm 45 years old, back in school for an in-demand career. Graduate in December. So many wasted years.
>>
>>37056374
You really, really should just push through the pain and finish the degree. It's only one more year and you don't walk away empty handed.
>>
>>37056804

Indeed. Even if you never do anything directly with it, having an irrelevant degree is a big advantage in a lot of job applications.

Silly, but there it is.
>>
File: 1428261494517.gif (943 KB, 250x162) Image search: [Google]
1428261494517.gif
943 KB, 250x162
Just posting to say I'm in almost the exact same situation. Sophomore about to drop out of Math/CS degree. I think taking time off to understand my strengths/weaknesses is going to help.
>>
File: 1453178740431.jpg (39 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1453178740431.jpg
39 KB, 709x765
>>37057215
>>37056374
Please do not drop out, just man it out and study harder. Look at the time and money you wasted, you will never get those back if you dropout. Just stop being a pussy and pull through it, you guys are halfway there.
>>
File: 1461182300209.jpg (20 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1461182300209.jpg
20 KB, 480x352
>>37057235
It's honestly too late for me anon. We live and learn. I might be fucking up but I'm honestly miserable here at uni.
>>
File: 1452281544451.jpg (176 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
1452281544451.jpg
176 KB, 1632x1224
>>37057270
miserable about what? Failing classes or socially?
>>
File: onizuka.png (70 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
onizuka.png
70 KB, 251x251
>>37057296
Both I guess. Classes have me questioning if this is the career I really want.
>If I can't get motivated about this, am I really cut out for it?

And socially, I've slowly become a hermit, leaving my room for class, the gym, and the occasional friend.
>>
bro...stay in school or transfer somewhere else.....most anything you do outside of school will require some sort of training, there are very few jobs that just hire people with no education and no experience doing anything.

I would never have my current job in finance without a degree (family friend).

It's difficult....I've tried applying at different places especially applying for big companies.....lots of them use taleo or similar software to filter candidates, and if you cannot answer "yes" to the "do you have a BA?" question, your resume will never see human eyes....there is a lot of competition from within big companies and from the outside. People want the benefits and the decent pay.

You don't want to flounder for years and then realize in your 30's that you should have stayed in school. If you get a job somewhere and work there a number of years doing something specific (without a degree), you really need to stay in that field, otherwise, if you can get hired somewhere else, you will be entry level again.

You can work in the trades but that will require training and many years of apprenticeship. I have a few friends who are successful in trade work, but as it is now, the pay just doesn't compare. You will work for 8-10 years in a trade to get to 70k-100k depending on your location and it tops out because a lot of these jobs are based on hours worked (unions) and less about merit.....a 3-4 year Microsoft or Amazon employee earns that easy and has bonuses, stock awards, good benefits, etc.

Trade jobs are great, it is tangible labor, you can see what you are building, but it will require school to a different extent.

With one year left, just tough it out, transfer, do whatever you have to do, and make sure your major is useful.

I am lucky, but am basically locked into this industry.....don't rely on luck.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys, probs gonna stick with it
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.