[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am trying to get into running But every time I start trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: running-pic.jpg (847 KB, 3611x2031) Image search: [Google]
running-pic.jpg
847 KB, 3611x2031
I am trying to get into running
But every time I start trying to run I start getting sharp pains in both shins about halfway up. The pain carries on for days, and so I never want to continue.

What is this? How do I stop this happening?
>>
Shin splints brah, get softer shoe soles and dont go ham.
>>
Start walking first. Get used to that. Then very slow pace jogs. Running is for fit people not carrying an extra 300lbs with them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo
>>
>>37034334

Shin splints. Go to a running store and get a proper gait assessment - a lot of shin splints can be prevented with proper shoes.

In terms of treatment now - ice your shins for 10 mins 3-4x/day and after every run. Run on softer surfaces and run more slowly. Take ibuprofen for the pain. Stretch thoroughly before and after your run. It will eventually ease off once the muscles and connective tissues adapt to the new load but it is fucking agony at first.

Source: long distance runner & doctor.
>>
>>37034343
>>37034350
>>37034358
>>37034366

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated
>>
>>37034366
Not OP, but what stretches would you recommend?
Also, any tips for someone for who shin splints continually come back?
>>
Shoo Shoo gains goblins
>>
>>37034334

Do a proper warm-up and don't push yourself so hard if you're starting out as a newbie.
>>
>>37034399

Doctorfag here

Calf stretches and heel drops are probably the most helpful. To do a heel drop stand facing backwards on the edge of a step with only your toes actually on the step. Lower your heels down as much as you can bear (this can be uncomfortable) then bring them back up to parallel. Do sets of 5-10 of these a few times a day and you should see a difference.
>>
>>37034334

Make shorter steps. This pain can sometimes occur if your foot lands in front of your knee, as oppose to roughly below it.
>>
>>37034334
Save your knees and start cycling.

Test + tren
>>
>>37034522
thanks bro
>>
>sharp shin pain
That was me at first
>went to triathlete shop
>let me run on a reed milk with camera
>they check my running form on film
>say I'm a supination runner so I need shoes to offset that
>run with supinine shoes
>instant holy shit it feels great moment
Those shoes are expensive but damn, they're so much better than the Nike runners I had
>>
Others have said it all. Shoes and lose weight. Always had various shin and other problems running. Once I got below a certain weight threshold all pain and problems vanished.

Even if you're not overweight, most people aren''t light enough to run without incurring some sort of leg/knee issues.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.