[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weight Lifting belt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: pTSA-21450837p275w.jpg (22 KB, 275x156) Image search: [Google]
pTSA-21450837p275w.jpg
22 KB, 275x156
Gonna pick this up at the store before I go to the gym tomorrow.
Anyone have one? How has it helped you?
I know it's usually used for squats, but what else can I use it for? Dead lifts? Press? Pendalay Rows? Probably not bench. But Bench?
>>
>>37031195

Better off saving your money than buying that one. It's so thin it'll do literally nothing.
>>
File: spud-inc-belt_4.jpg (318 KB, 1362x1362) Image search: [Google]
spud-inc-belt_4.jpg
318 KB, 1362x1362
>>37031195
I prefer the Spud deadlift belt. Costs ~40 bucks and is super comfortable. That belt is probably made of pretty shitty leather. If you plan on lifting a while or competing at all, you should go with something higher quality. I've seen those dry out, crack and split within a year of use.

I use mine on squats and deads mostly. I've seen powerlifters use a belt on bench to help keep their abs tight for stability but I've never felt like I need to. I don't think I'm at that level yet I guess.
>>
>>37031234
not op, but i read somewhere that belts like yours are better anyway because they're the same dimensions all the way around versus op's which is larger at the back than in the front. any thoughts?
>>
>>37031195
I use a belt for my top bench sets. It helps you create rigidity and push more weight.

A belt is a passive device that does nothing on it's own, but allows you to engage your abs into the lift more.

If you get a decent belt, that is.
>>
File: brian-shaw-wsm09_lg.jpg (71 KB, 425x574) Image search: [Google]
brian-shaw-wsm09_lg.jpg
71 KB, 425x574
>>37031234
The spud belt looks kinda shitty but it's actually really fucking good. Especially for the price. The velcro is heavy duty and it uses industrial towing straps. It's popular among strongman competitors. The only caveat is that it's not competition legal.
>>
>>37031266
Olympic weightlifters like tapered belts because they don't get in the way at the bottom, but yeah most powerlifters will use belts with the same width all around.

The main point of a belt (as far as strength sports go) isn't to protect your back, it's to give your abs something to push against. So having more surface area for your abs to push against is better.
>>
How much should you be lifting to warrant using a belt?
>>
>>37031406
idk i started using a belt after I couldn't break past a 350lb high bar squat and 385lb deadlift.
>>
>>37031433
I'm a 5'4 manlet, 155 pounds. I squatted 315 high bar today and I feel my back falter a little when I squat and I'm worried I'll fucking collapse mid-rep. Should I invest in a belt at this point? Or should I just save my money and stick to the Smith?
>>
>>37031532
Nah man a belt isn't a bad idea if you're at that point in training. But don't rely too much on it. I take Wendler's advice when it comes to when to use it. I only use my belt on sets where I'm doing triples or less. It's a tool, not a crutch.
>>
>>37031532
>>37031584
yeah don't rely on it. I feel like it should be more of abdominal support so you have something to press against. that's just what I've been reading.
>>
If you still need to be asking if and how a lifting belt you, then you're too early in the lifting game to start relying on a belt.
Post your lifts.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.