[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does nobody talk to me in the gym? I've had conversations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1401442886983.jpg (41 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
1401442886983.jpg
41 KB, 446x362
Why does nobody talk to me in the gym?

I've had conversations with loads of people and even lifted with some yet I'm never part of the "group"

You see these newcomers coming in for one day and shaking hands with the lads the next

Meanwhile I'm just an entity

What's up? Why am I never able to be part of the clique?
>>
File: kanye.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kanye.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>36944381
The GYM isn't a social club your only mission in that place is to get ripped and get the fuck out. I get some nigga's and hoe's trying to have small talk it's distracting.
>>
your nihilism is showing, op. fuck you.
>>
They probably went to school together, drink in the same places or otherwise know the same people. They might even already to the gyms tyre flipping headstand classes together.

When I go to the gym I do my workout and leave. I talk to people if I already know them.
>>
>>36944381
in my gym it's because most of them are on the same uni courses, it took me a few weeks to realise that
>>
I lifted at my local gym for 3 years and this was the case for me.

I'm going to have to assume it's either because I have a "fuck off" expression to my face, or that these guys all knew each other outside the gym.

I would see completely new DYELs come into the gym and in their first few weeks already having loud ass convos with the most jacked dudes in the gym.

Been at home-gym for the last 2 years now, feels better this way, it's more of a "doing it for myself" when im at home not trying to prove anything to anyone.
>>
Are you proactive? Do you go up to the dudes and shake hands? Do you try to make smalltalk?

You don't.
>>
The 'lads' recruit people they want in their group.
>>
Because you are dyel
>>
Oh man this was getting to me. I've started trying to chat to people more when sharing equipment or asking for a spot, but it's slow progress. The staff are all PTs and some of them are friendly, and others just avoid eye contact.
>>
>>36944381

I guess you're just awkward and boring and social kryptonite. Occam's razor.

Now that that's out of the way, get back to lifting.
>>
Be glad. I wish people wouldn't approach me all the fucking time during my workouts. Fuck!
>>
>>36944381
I'm a chick I go to the gym with my male house mate but nobody else talks to me at the gym. Maybe because it seems intruding to chat to a group, I don't know. I occasionally have short conversations but I'm busy working out and so are other people. I think people at the gym want to get on with their routines rather than chat.
>>
>>36944381
Man don't fucking talk to me, I'm here to train I'm not here to talk
>>
File: 1459753791764.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459753791764.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
>>36946745
>>36946745
This
>>
>>36944381
Probably because you don't talk.

I say Hello to everyone I train with and might spot or help take weights on and off etc. but I don't really talk to anyone because that's how I like it.
>>
>>36944381
Sounds like you're trying to hard mate. Just go in there lift some heavy shit, talk to people if you want. Best way to meet people is working in with them, if they're using something you want, ask to work in and you can start a conversation between rest if they're receptive. The next time you sread them say hi and maybe make some small talk. Acknowledge them when you see them around and bam you have a gym acquaintance.

If you want to be part of the "group", just approach someone in the group you know and normally they will introduce you.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.