[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, so I was thinking about starting a martial art because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: photo.png (97 KB, 322x322) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
97 KB, 322x322
Hey /fit/, so I was thinking about starting a martial art because I eventually want to try out MMA to see if I enjoy it, but wasn't sure which martial art I should start to learn first.
I'm shit at throwing punches but have strong legs and core and tend to take people to the ground if I get into a fight, and hit them from there. I was thinking Judo but haven't really looked into many other martial arts.
>>
>>36934532
how old are you?
best grappling martial art is wrestling but if you are not a teenager atleast its kinda too late for you only as a hobby
i started at 16 and i pity every moment that i didnt start earlier
if you are 20+ start judo and bjj
and when you get some accomplishments on those you should sign up to boxing
but thats for later
if you are still a teen (doubtfully) join wrestling without thinking twice
>>
>>36934760
I'm 19 so probably too late to start wrestling from the sounds of it
Yeah I looked into bjj and it didn't sound too bad. I don't really mind what martial art as long as it follows properly into MMA.
Thanks anon
>>
>>36934801
man not too late
maybe too late for an olympic medal but not for MMA
dont use BJJ as a base for MMA
u shud have a strong wrestling base ( judo counts here aswell)
think about it like this
wrestling / judo is the protein shake
and BJJ is the creatine
if u are athletic enough who knows maybe u'll be a succesful late bloomer in wrestling
>>
>>36934841
Oh shit ok thanks
So start off with Judo and build into other stuff?
Yeah I'm not exactly fat, and build muscle pretty quickly, just wanted to do something other than the gym
>>
>>36934912
yeah and when you have some accomplishments in judo you can move on ( maybe u'll fall in love in the sport ) and add BJJ and striking ( muay thai or boxing )
Judo has submissions aswell im not informed on current rules but its not as widespread as in BJJ i know they do armbars and kimuras n shit tho
anyways good luck anon
>>
>>36934972
Sounds awesome, thanks for the info anon!
>>
>>36934841
>>36934912

i disagree. judokas generally have shit newaza. because they're so trained to do stuff that are good in judo but not really applicable to other forms of grappling. also judo doesn't have leg takedowns at all, which is probably the most common type of mma takedowns. then depending on your school you might get a nogi bjj class which is more similar to mma grappling.

bjj or submission wrestling is a better first step towards mma than judo.
>>
It seems good
>>
>>36934532
I know you say you're looking to grapple but if your punches are shit then your best bet is starting with boxing mate. Boxing will give you terrific footwork, balance and hand speed which is a good base to build on in mma. Grappling is undoubtedly important but it makes sense to iron out your flaws because you could get into a fight any time
>>
>>36934532
Just start MMA right away. You will progress very very slowly but you will learn the basics right, how to punch and kick without opening yourself to takedowns, how to do takedowns without opening yourself to knees and such, how to mix everything together. Wrestling would be an awesome base IF you already were good at it, since you'd just need some adjustments for it to work in mma. I started mma right away and I'm seeing people who did muai thai struggle with how to kick without getting taken down, because of muai thai habits. I never had this problem.
>>
>>36934841
this is terrible advice.

wrestling is great but not very practical desu.
best to start in a stand up martial art like muay thai or boxing, and do bjj on the side.
>>
As combinations go how's boxing/judo?
>>
22 here. I found a local ma place and it has jj, muay thai, boxing and mma. is muay thai recommended? i am not sure how many classes I can take at once and I dont even see the price on the website.
>>
>>36934760
How did you start wrestling at 16?
>>
Hey OP, I'm a Judoka.

It's pretty fun and its also easy for a beginner martial artist to learn as the main thing you really have to worry about are breakfalls. From there it's just practice and experience.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x596
I'm a judoka
My newaza is good but I have a wrestling background so that helps
Judo is a great martial art for lifters since there isn't much weight management in the amateur competition scene and having a strong core gives you a great advantage
Bjj guys will fuck you up on the ground but I prefer not to train something with such a one dimensional focus (they call sparring "rolling" for a reason, it's all rolling around on the ground)
Try judo for sure it's fun as fuck and the community is great too, very chill and welcoming
>>
>>36934912
I started Judo, and my coaches/ sensei had a good bjj background, which I picked up. Judo is great standing, while bjj doesn't add a lot to your standing grappling, in my opinion.

If you get a decent amount of bjj you can defend well enough, with a judo ground work as a base.
>>
>>36937521
I do both, it's a great combo because both rely on footwork and maintaining your balance
Muay Thai and bjj is also a common combo since Muay Thai already has trips and sweeps and bjj gives you something to follow up with down there
>>
Kinda related, but what does /fit/ think about tkd? It's really the only thing they teach around where I live
>>
>>36934912
Judo is a nice side thing, if you want to compete, get started on BJJ already, takes care of your ground game and will get you ready for being calm and relaxed under pressure
>>
As a 27 year old man with zero fighting experience (aside from drunken brawls), what's the most practical martial art I can take for self defense?

A friend recently became a cop and got a bunch of training. He kicked my ass last weekend. I've always been of the opinion that everyone should learn some self defense. Where do I start?
>>
>>36934532
Started training MMA 5 months ago, seriously just join a gym, you will learn bjj, wrestling and muay thai, but everything in a way that will work in MMA
Also works great for self defense
>>
>>36938637

Also interested.
>>
>>36934532
Judo is fun as fuck. Highly recommend. Ukemi is an amazing life skill too. It's saved me from snapping my shit a couple times.
>>
>>36934532
If you're actually thinking of using self-defence then go for a stand-up art like kickboxing.

If not I'd say judo is a good choice, or jiu-jiutsu.
>>
>>36938637
>>36938729
Muay thai or boxing
>>
>>36938397
4th dan TKDfag here. It's shit. You'll learn some "nice to have" techniques but you'd be much better with boxing or muay thai.

>>36938637
>>36938729
In order:
>don't live in a shithole jutsu
>don't be a cunt fu
>parkour
>boxing/mt + bjj/judo/wrestling
>>
Judo black belt here. Of course I recommend it, but I noticed a guy above said judo doesn't have leg takedowns. It's true, recently the rules have changed, but every coach should know them and would gladly teach you if asked
>>
you need 3.
Standup ( muay thai )
Takedowns, wrestling, standupwrestling
Ground game ( bjj )
>>
Judo is awesome. You can go all out with no protection and nobody will get hurt. Chokeholds and armbars aside.
>>
>>36938826

this guy knows what he is talking about. add boxing and knife work.
>>
8 year muay thai guy here. comparatively to other sports like boxing, MT guys suck with their hands which is why boxing is still an essential for power, safety, and footwork.
>>
23 here, I'm starting TKD just as a hobby cos the kicks look so cool. When I hit either green or blue belt I'm going to switch to Judo and make some progress there.
>>
>>36938925
You're not going to be able to do any "cool" kicks by green or blue and you'll most likely fuck up your knee if you try.

Related:
https://youtu.be/Qbi-PTxpYZY?t=279
>>
File: 1460998919330.jpg (47 KB, 281x268) Image search: [Google]
1460998919330.jpg
47 KB, 281x268
Why learn how to fight when a gun is a thousand times (x1000) more effective?

Checkmate nignogs.
>>
>>36938968
>2016
>living in niggerstan
>not knowing the 21 foot rule
>>
>>36937569
High school you dumbfuck
>>
>>36934532
boxing or competitve judo are the only answers, be careful with judo though a getting laid out sucks way worse than being punched or kicked in the face.
>>
File: buster.00_jpg_srz.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
buster.00_jpg_srz.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1280
Do wrestling Desu
IF ur still in highschool do collegiate style
if not do USA Wrestling in Freestyle and Greco-Roman
Judo on the side with Greco-Roman is great desu
>>
>>36939029
Its one of the three
>>36938826
For a complete package youre lacking standup and ground game, youll get choked out, your arm bent to shit and slapped the shit ouf of when standing

but when you catch them youre golden, but only for a little while

PRACTICE ALL 3 FORMS
>>
>>36938900
boxing alone will make you so vulnerable to everything else its sad

you gotta combo it up mofucka
>>
>>36939372

in the ring sure but on the street not so much.
>>
any good martial arts where you don't get injured? anything good for people who need glasses (high and strange prescription, contacts don't work for me)?

>look up BJJ
>joint problems are common
>so are cauliflower ears

>look up judo
>can get thrown head first
>or hurt your back easily
>>
>>36940852

Unless the guy on the street can wrestle.
>>
>>36940974
>complaining about injuries when training for self defence
what
>>
>>36940974

there is literally nothing worthwhile you can do with MA and glasses on. take em off, make contacts work for you, etc. don't be that guy.
>>
>>36941001

that is literally one in a million and he will break his kneecap, hands, or elbow on his first successful takedown or get a finger in his eyeball. don't get me wrong I love wrestling and think its a great MA but it isn't everything.
>>
>>36934532
I did Taekwondo when I was a kid, even though when I got in fights when I was older, I never really used any of the kicks, but I had some nice hands. Bad thing is in a fight you will most likely clinch and go to the ground so you do need a grappling base.

Judo is good, but if you fight a wrestler he's going to shoot for your legs right away, so wrestling (being able to sprawl) and boxing would be good for the average person.

If you have great balance and flexibility, I would reccomend Muay Thai or Taekwondo for stand up.

If you are a skeleton I would recommend BJJ, so if you fight someone bigger than you and end up on your back you have a nice shot of submitting or breaking that guy's limb.
>>
>>36938925
If you don't have great balance and flexibility, the kicks on the street will be useless. Still some kicks are good to know to provide space, but chances are you wont Cro Cop kick a person on the streets.
>>
>>36941073

this. I mainly practice kicks for leg and core strength. If I have to start kicking people in a street fight I've fucked up. The only other really beneficial thing to do with your legs is knee strikes which MT is the best at. They are still risky to do on the street tho, they have to be used while clinched up or grappling range.
>>
>>36934760
I train with decent wrestlers and Its definantly a great art but the bjj guys are light years ahead of the wrestlers. Maybe its just the US wrestling but They give up the back and they have no submissions.

Wrestling is great for take downs and controlling positions
>>
File: Look at this motherfucker.png (146 KB, 244x272) Image search: [Google]
Look at this motherfucker.png
146 KB, 244x272
All of the mainstream grappling arts are great. We do a lot of them here, and I'd personally have it no other way. It's great to mix wrestling, BJJ, catch wrestling and Sambo. We also have Judo classes, but I don't do them. Not everyone is as fortunate to have such an experienced coach. So, I would recommend to do what works best for you. Make sure you find a good gym. That is the most important part.

Wrestling: Hard to get into later on, but a lot of MMA/BJJ schools have wrestling classes. It is quite a bit rougher and more tiring than BJJ. Harder on the body. Offers great control and positioning.

Judo: This shit hurts. Higher chance of injury. Great balance and top grappling. The grip game and limited rules can make it a bit meh for transferring over to other grappling styles unless you are an expert.

BJJ: Most places will teach you takedowns. Best for submission fighting and defense (bottom game). Gi stuff is a bit silly imo, but I enjoy it. Probably the easiest grappling style to get into as an adult and great for longevity.

Sambo and Catch wrestling are pretty rare to find so I won't comment on those, although they are great.

The bottom line is no matter what style you do you are going to get a bit of everything. Wrestlers know submissions. Judookie's know leg takedowns. BJJ people know how to wrestle. You just won't get as much of certain areas with certain styles.

I would personally recommend BJJ as I think it is the easiest to get into and people often branch off from there. I started with shootwresling, but most people don't have that.
>>
Muay Thai conditioning is an amazing workout. You can burn 1k calories in an hour while building strength. Tears up your core.
>>
Im doing boxing right now, I like it.
>>
>>36940974
Shit is literally designed to fuck shit up. If you want any effective training you're going to get injured as applying techniques on a resisting opponent is essential.

If you want to circlejerk about beibg 2deadly while doing nothing of value and having no risk there are plenty of options: aikido, 90% of krotty, krabby magoo, anything korean, etc.
>>
What does fit think of capoeira?
>>
>>36940974

Akido.

You get to wear a dress and gracefully put people on the ground before they get back up and smash your skull

Seriously though, my eyesight isn't great but i've started boxing. You can definitely see fists flying towards your face

And with BJJ cauliflower ear isn't that common and joint pain is minimal when working with people who aren't psychopaths or you tap rather than trying to fight out of something. Those sports can be as safe as you want them to be if you are cautious but, no worthwhile martial art is going to be 100% risk or injury free.
>>
>>36943977
>aikido
>capable of putting anyone on the ground in the first place who isn't throwing themself
>>
>>36937521
If you're serious about going MMA, you'll eventually get into AT LEAST mt, judo and bjj. possibly boxing for good measure too, but the first 3 master the 'basics' of mma - stand up into clinch into ground.
you can't go wrong with any of those 4, but mt is more important than boxing.
>>
>>36941156
US here. Public school offered wrestling in 6th or 7th grade. Cheapest and easiest way to start; just need gear and a ride.
>>
you need to learn how to learn how to stand/strike and wrestle/grappling. we all know the deadliest in stand/strike is muay thai. build a foundation off that and then get bjj or wrestling.
>>
>>36934532
Krav Maga if you can find a good school.

That'd be my advice, like gyms not all schools are equal.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.