[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here /swim/? Doctor's instructions, no exercise of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 990x573) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 990x573
Anyone here /swim/? Doctor's instructions, no exercise of any kind except for swimming. Any advice on a swimming program?
>>
It depends, do you know how to actually swim laps?
>>
I go swimming 3 to 4 times a week.

I swam competitively several years ago.

The best advice i can give you is to master technique and breathing before focussing on time or amount of laps.

I'm sure you can find some steady programs online, but this is essential.

You're better off doing breaststroke correctly than trying to swim with some fucked up crawl technique.
>>
>>36906791
Have you heard of total immersion? How's that for a training plan?
>>
>>36906821
otherwise known as drowning?
>>
>>36906791
What this anon said.
However if you do decide to do freestyle then for godsakes tuck your chin, many beginner swimmers waste so much energy on trying to keep afloat because they're not tucking their chin in. You'll also need to learn the freestyle rhythm where you breathe on the third stride while barely sneaking your mouth to your armpit for a breath.
As with any exercise if you don't stretch in advance you'll get a bad cramp/stitch, so be sure to remember otherwise you'll probably be choking on water halfway through and it'll ruin the rest of your workout.
When you're more experienced start holding your breath underwater(before you start swimming)- go from 30seconds, to 1min and then eventually work your way up to 2mins of holding your breath and you'll be surprised how much more stamina you'll have.
>>
>>36906966
>tfw started swimming every day to get in shape for a few months
>enjoying the hell out of it, even bought some underwater in ear headphones
>started struggling with freestyle because I couldn't find the sweet spot to breath.
>swimming for an hour before lifting started to hinder progress in lifts
>haven't swam in a month but lifts are steadily increasing

I might of looked like i was drowning the entire time but i still miss it a good bit. Is there a trick to find the "wave" to breath in? Or could it have been a speed problem?
>>
>>36906329
Not with good form, but yes.

>>36906791
Any resources on learning proper form?

>>36906966
Thanks!
>>
>>36907387
It's all in the way you wade- make as little waves as possible by entering correctly with your hands/arms and you'll never have water get in the way of your breath.
Like I said, I always take a breath on the third stride so you're breathing from both directions and your neck doesn't get tired. Practice tucking your chin to your armpit and take your breath out of the corner of your mouth. If your lips are slightly pursed then you don't have to worry about sucking in drops of water either.
Most likely you were going too fast and splashing a bit; length is more important in the beginning than speed. Keep going mang!

>>36907546
You're welcome :)
>>
>>36906791
another ex competitive swimmer here, this. Breathing and technique is key.
>>
>>36906791
Working on technique is good if your goal is to GO FAST but swimming's a better workout if your technique is shit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.