[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /fit/ thinks about intermediate fasting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10
File: maxresdefxczxcqault.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefxczxcqault.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
what does /fit/ thinks about intermediate fasting?
>>
fad diet
>>
>intermediate
>>
i'm only on beginner fasting right now
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 199x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 199x242
>>36835069
I prefer professional fasting
>>
>>36835036
Intermittent?
>inb4 hurr you fell for bait
>>
advanced fasting is where it's at
>>
>>36835036
>intermediate

Better than beginner fasting. Worse than advanced fasting
>>
>>36835036
IF is just a meme
>>
for those who dont know

its when you fast till evening and than eat your macros.

i have been doing that and i lost 6 kg in a week or so
>>
No point, you should do expert fasting instead
>>
>>36835036
I prefer advanced fasting
>>
how does eating less make you grow big muscles ?
>>
>>36835036
PSMF OP
>>
>>36835036
It's too fast for me still

Sticking to beginner fasting for now
>>
>>36835254
i am cutting so i wont mind my muscle for now
>>
It's like any other diet - cals in/out.

I'm 2.5 months in, lost around 8kg/20lbs. At around 2 weeks in you stop becoming hungry during the day.
It's pretty good if you're working/studying and can't be fucked to eat during the day.
>>
>>36835100
>tfw stuck at advanced fasting forever
>tfw will never make it to the big fasting leagues
>>
>>36835100
right up there with Jesus and Gandhi, god damn
>>
It's a meme. I've lost weight doing that and doing it the traditional way. It's the fucking same
>>
>>36835100
>be amateur faster
>not very good
>sometimes drop chocolate in my mouth

I'll keep training
>>
File: pepe53.jpg (8 KB, 185x300) Image search: [Google]
pepe53.jpg
8 KB, 185x300
It has a very bad reputation around here because not everyone can do it, you have people eating 6 meals a day plus snacks, not everyone cant wait until 5-6 pm for their meals, and then you have the dyel skellys that cant even eat more than 2 eggs in one sitting so IF is practically impossible for them.

But it works, it's not magical by any means, It works because it's an easy way to get into a healthy lifestyle, at least that's how it was for me, after 20 years of trying different diets (given by nutritionists) this is probably the easiest of them all, because of one simple thing.

You life doesn't revolve around food anymore, you have so much more time to do other stuff instead of having to go to the kitchen for 30 minutes 6 times a day to cook your meals.

I've been doing it for 6 weeks and i've lost 28lbs, i eat my meals around 4-5pm, 80% of lean protein, 15% fat, and 5% carbs. ALWAYS hitting my protein goal. I normally eat anywhere between 1200 and 1400 cals in one sitting and that fills me up and gives me energy for the next day. I have 1 carb refeed every 2 weeks to refill glycogen and calculate waterweight
>>
>>36836742
>>36836548

This is pretty much true, you see all this stuff about IF "burning extra fat storage" and whatever, i personally think that people lose a lot of weight on IF because they're not snacking on shit between meals by practically forcing themselves to just eat once a day.

1 year ago when i was 340lbs, it was impossible for me to not sneak up a candy bar or a bag of crisps in my diet every couple days, with IF the temptation is no longer there, but that's about it.
>>
if i do this for five weeks at 1500 kcals with cardio and lifting sprinkled in, how fast do you think i'd cut?
>>
>>36835036
Intermittent fasting is great. I have a six pack ready for summer because of it.
>>
>>36835036
Good for people who have a bit of willpower, and want to eat a lot in one sitting.

I can't train fasted, but I like to use it on rest days.

All it really is, is skipping breakfast and lunch, and just eating dinner.
>>
>>36838047

Depends. The closer you are to your goals, the slower the progress.

I dropped 12 kilos between Jan 1st and March 31st, but now I've only dropped 1 kilo since April 1st.
>>
Works wonders for me, on a 1500 cal cut so it helps with dealing with hunger. Just eat a bit lunch and dinner and I'm sweet. Lost 9kg so far.
>>
>>36836571
Kek
>>
File: 11.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>36835036
People will talk shit about it. There is a lot of bullshit behind it, but you have to take it for what it is.

Basically it makes eating easier for some people. You can basically eat whatever the fuck you want on it (to a certain extent) as long as you are in calorie deficit and hitting protein requirements, you will lose weight.

I find it a lot harder when bulking due to that small window to get those calories in you really gotta eat a shit ton in a small time span.

I think the effects of it compared to eating throughout the day are minimal - there is a lot of bro-science backing intermittent fasting that states it helps keep you lean.

24 hours is 24 hours though. Your body is either going to digest that food throughout the day, or you are going to eat in a 4-6 hour window and your body is going to digest the same amount of food over the same amount of time.

Your body can only digest food so fast. You aren't giving your body anymore time to digest food by intermittent fasting, because your body digests (for example) 3000 calories at the same rate it would regadless of what time you are eating.

You eat those 3000 calories in 4-6 hours, your body is going to take just as long to digest it as it would if you were eating those calories throughout the day.

Honestly the only thing intermittent fasting is good for is control of diet. The shorter time period makes tracking macro's take less time, give you more freedom to eat whatever the fuck you want (1 big meal, 1 small meal etc) and you spend less time focusing on diet and eating and worrying about that shit.

So all in all I believe that intermittent fasting is fucking great as it helps promote consistency, which is what will net you most of your gains.
>>
>>36835036
Like all diets it's a calorie restriction strategy with a completely unsupported rationale to explain why it's totally not just a calorie restriction strategy.
>>
Can someine give me a guide on this I think I did someting sinilar to this when i was losing weight for prom. I lost 40 pounds in three months, mostly fat but i did get weaker. But it was worth it for my date. But what would I have to do for this diet? Can someone give me a mealplan
>>
>>36835162
6kg of liquids
>>
It's the best because you don't have to worry about stuff.

I can't count calories or evaluate exactly the amount of calories in my food so this suits me well.
>>
For me personally, it works because I can go all day without eating and not mind too much as long as I know I will eat later, but being hungry after I've finished my calories or ending the day on a small meal fucks with my virtually nonexistent willpower. Just makes cutting easier for me.
>>
No idea if the extra fat/calorie burning stuff after 11-17 hours without food is real, but it just works because 1.5k calories.
Also do you guys really just eat one meal? I wake up at 10am, and eat breakfast at 1pm and then i eat whenever the fuck i want till 9pm.
So i have 8 hours of eating my 1.5k calories in 8 hours and then 16 hours of fasting.
>>
>>36840227
Yeah, wake up at 7am, eat my days food at 2-3pm, that's it for me. means I can binge daily whilst cutting.
>>
>>36836742
Bf% and hav experienced any muscle loss from doing IF?
>>
>>36838092
post it hotshot
>>
File: dumbbell rows.jpg (199 KB, 820x1024) Image search: [Google]
dumbbell rows.jpg
199 KB, 820x1024
>>36835036
I fell for the meme, doing a 16/8, felt ok but found it hard to make gainz.

Then discovered the fellow I was using for inspiration was on a lovely cycle of HGH the whole time.

So went back to eating many small meals throughout the day and tracking my macros.

Heaps more energy, heaps more gains
>>
>>36840984
>the fellow I was using for inspiration was on a lovely cycle of HGH the whole time.

WHAT?
>>
>>36840984
>lifting in sandals
>>
>>36840984
>>36841039
IF only really works if you're on some form of gear you know.
>>
>>36835162
6kg shit the fucking bed
>>
>>36836742
Pls post pics and inform if you lost unacceptable muscle loss
>>
>>36841084
Seriously what's with the fucking sandals.
>>
For me as a recovering fatty, IF has been the thing that helped me lose the most weight the most easily. Basically I get up, go do a physical job fasted for 3 - 4 hours, eat my first meal, finish work, pre gym snack, workout, post workout meal, second post workout meal, bed. Put my eating in like an 8 hour window, get some fasted LISS cardio with my work in the morning (I do ~10 - 15km of walking a day with my job).

Fat literally started shedding off because I find it so much easier to stick to my calories when I only have 8hr to eat them. The thing is it's not the IF, it's that IF gives me an eating schedule that lets me hit my macros without any 'willpower' shit, run a deficit & not feel deprived.

When I was eating 6 meals a day I found the portion sizes never left me satiated, so I would snack or refeed often, so I couldn't stick to my meal plan easily.

On IF, I can have 3 huge meals, two post workout and a pre workout snack, eat every 2hr, done. IF just fit in perfectly with my natural style of eating (I like to eat big fucking meals), and I don't mind not eating for 4 - 6 hours after rising.

The best diet / eating plan is the one you stick too consistently, IF works for me, may not work for you.
>>
File: 1.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>36835162

>6kg in a week
>>
It's the only thing that has ever worked for me because the moment food touches my lips it opens up my appetite and I become ravenous. If I eat in the morning I can't stop eating all day. If only eat before bedtime, I fall asleep before I can continue eating past my calorie limit. I can't get off the food train once it starts
>>
>>36841305
>>36841112
Not this guy but I can do that just from a cheat day. I can eat inhumane amounts of food and obviously the next day I'll have put on a lot of weight. Shit it out and lose the water weight over the next week and it's easy.

That guy probably just went crazy day before he took his starting weight, or doesn't weigh himself under the same conditions every time.
>>
>>36841345
or maybe he's a fatty
>>
>>36841345

>cheat day

Seriously? Cheat meal ok, but an entire day?
>>
It doesn't work

Kinobody is on roids

Op should be banned
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 690x690
>>36835045
>diet

Nice try buster
>>
>>36835510

underrated comment
>>
>>36838156
Holy fuck this. Ive been on IF for 3 months and im so close to finishing but progress has slowed the fuck down. Ive lowered my kcal but fuark its getting 2slow4me
>>
>>36841384
I cheated for an entire week. Ate healthy food and went over maintenance. It is completely harmless as long as you lift and don't binge on fucking cookies and candy.
>>
>>36841342
>cant get off the food train once ot starts
Holy kek fuck m8 i know this feel.i go ape shit when we start dinner. My family jist watches in horror as i down suasage after sausage
>>
>>36841422
If progress has significantly slowed down very quickly, don't drop kcals further, just keep it the same and see what happens the next couple weeks. if it has slowed, eat maintenance for a week or two then go back to your normal deficit, maybe even reduce the deficit. You impatience will do you more harm than good.
>>
>>36841468
That's what she said.
>>
Been doing the Warrior Diet and doing SL 5x5 for 6 weeks now.

Before doing them, I was always sick and have no energy at the office.

Now, I have extra energy even at night. I was actually surprised myself since this is completely different from my previous version of self.
>>
>>36840227
12pm-1st meal
3pm-gym
6pm-2nd meal
>>
File: 20160416_202236.jpg (775 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
20160416_202236.jpg
775 KB, 1200x1200
I weight 116lbs used to be 210 halfway last year
Nobody can tell me it doesn't work.
>>
File: 1456146572936.jpg (26 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1456146572936.jpg
26 KB, 433x380
I have a /fit/ bro who does IF.
He's three times as big as me so I think I actually believe him.
>>
Neurotic bullshit.
>>
Can i eat a few bananas or does that kill the fast?
I LOVE banans and low carb is 100 percent memery
>>
>>36841573
Willing to share pics of your success?
>>
Is everyone who does IF a manlet or something? I cut at 3000 kcal and 3 meals is perfect for that
>>
>>36841792
This is the most flexible type of IF I've found imo. If you really crave bananas, make a banana smoothie with kale 'n' shit during your two main meals or have a banana during your small meal.

Option A
> Lunch(4-‐6 hours after rising)
> Dinner(4-‐5 hours later)
> Small Meal (anytime after dinner and before going to bed)

Option B
> Lunch(4-‐6 hours after rising)
>Small Meal (3-‐4 hours later)
>Dinner (3-‐5 hours later)
>>
>>36841682

but... you weigh 1150
>>
>>36841974

If you're eating 3000 calories you're not cutting. It doesn't matter if you're 8' and 400 pounds, that's still an excess amount of food you fatass
>>
>>36842009
I bike for about an hour a day because its how i commute
I have been losing 1.5 lbs per week
>>
>>36841401
yfw Batman beat Superman
>>
>intermediate

also that is the worst chest i've seen in years
>>
>>36841122
that's what all the spartans wear. you want to look like a SPARTAAAN don't you?
>>
>>36838605
It's not bro science though, its whole purpose is insulin sensitivity, if you starve for 16 hours you will be burning fat as it's a small window of time. Then when you work out your body it will also increase, then when you have that large meal all the calories will go to your muscles. There's been studies on diabetic patients and how it improves their condition. Also I've tried 2 dirty bulks, one with IF and one without. I gained a lot more fat without using IF. I also tracked for calories to make sure I was eating the same amounts.
>>
I like it. I train fasted, eat around an hour after training, usually in the region of 200-230g protein, 50g carbs, total 1800 calories and then get on with my day. I've lost strength a little but not any noticable muscle loss, may well have gained some
>>
Been doing IF since January..

Havent lost any weight, bf% has gone down, lifts gone up.
>>
>>36842386
Should clarify that strength went down due to having 7 weeks out of training
>>
>>36841994
I took that pic yesterday before eating anything, and already had breakfast today so I'm just playing it safe. Even though I have not gain calories weight I still have the weight of the food itself.
>>
>>36840227
I do this too, same hours. I'm already starting to see visible progress, and it hasn't even been 3 weeks. gonna stay on it for a good while longer, I reckon.

People can call IF a meme all they want, but done right it does work, wether it does so because of the reason the inventor describes or some other idk, but it does work.
>>
>>36841422
refeed for a week
>>
File: 1456190637279.jpg (13 KB, 196x258) Image search: [Google]
1456190637279.jpg
13 KB, 196x258
>>36835036
Currently on intermittent fasting and ec stack. I look considerable leaner while on IF compared to regular cutting and ec stack. Dont know how it works but it does
>>
>>36842829
Refeed is fucking incredible for what it does for your progress. I always look much leaner after a refeed
>>
Should I bulk on IF or should it just be for cutting. Should I do IF on rest days if not?
>>
>>36842023
so the amount of calories you eat has nothing to do with you being short or tall. still calls random people manlets.
You need to stop projecting little buddy
>>
>>36841277
I think that IF works best for people with leptin and insulin resistance ie fat & obese people who are used to eating often
>>
>>36835036
Look familia, do whatever works for you. Unless you're a top tier athlete on steroids that needs to maximize gains, then your meal planning doesn't matter. Some people find it easier to follow their diet and avoid binging by eating small meals throughout the day. Others are capable of functioning throughout the day then gorging and getting all their calories in one meal.

If it works for you then that's all that matters.
>>
>>36844128
>height doesnt affect TDEE
Lmao ok
>>
>>36845066
It does, only in the sense that taller people naturally have more muscle mass. Unless we are talking about trained individuals, and that will vary. And we are trained, aren't we?
>>
>>36835036
It's awesome, not because there's anything magical about it (fat loss is still fat loss; it's all about the calorie deficit) but because it just makes it really, really easy to be in a calorie deficit and thus, lose fat. I've lost 80 lbs of fat in 2 years because of it. I only have positive things to say about it.

It makes fat loss super easy. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
I decided to try Dave Asprey does.. He does eating 1 meal every 4-5 hours only. Aka only eating 3 solid meals. To kill off snacking and craving. What is this called?
>>
>>36845440
Did you take any supplements and nutrients or was it sheer willpower?
>>
I prefer fisting
>>
>>36845540

I like indeterminate fisting, myself.
>>
>>36845499
sheer "willpower". I fucked up a lot of times and binged on chocolate, so those 2 years could've (should've) been 1.5 years if I wasn't so lazy and had more willpower. But yeah as I said, getting lean on IF is easy as fuck, even if you have a huge appetite like me.
>>
>>36845673
hats off to you anon, im trying my damnedest myself, where can i read more about IF? I think I'm in a similar position as you. At the moment I'm doing ok, but i severely want to stop feeling those hunger cravings. I'm doing everything, nutrients, watching tv. I even feel like playing an MMO to get my mind off it...
>>
>>36835254
Why would you eat less? Do you not know how it works?
>>
>>36845744
not that anon, but a simple google search will do plenty to learn more. I did that too, and I believe one of the first links is for a faq about it on leddit that covers it extensively.
>>
>>36835036
It definitely helped me cut, but I'm pretty sure it was because it made me strict about my snacking. I usually snack a lot but having an eating window pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't snack outside of it. Not sure whether there's any actual magic to it but it definitely helps with food discipline if you stick to it
>>
>>36845744
Check out Kinobody on YouTube. He's a bit of a retard but he has good info and advice on IF
>>
>>36845807
>>36845792
>>36845673
thanks a bunch anons you'll contribute to saving my life if i make it
>>
>>36845837
we're all gonna make it brah. just be persistent with it, and remember that water is still allowed during the fasting period. I also found that I could drink diet sodas (the <1 calorie ones, Pepsi Max is my choice) without any noticeable difference in loss, I've got a ravenous sweet tooth. sugar free gum also helps. I'm sure if you're trying to lose weight you have the same problem.
>>
>>36845744
Thanks mayne, and you should check out kinobody on youtube and from his blog. I learned everything I know about IF from him. Oh and IF completely solves the cravings issue for me, and I have had reeeeaaaaally bad problems with cravings in the past. Here's a sample day of my eating schedule just so you have an idea of what IF might look like.

>First two hours after rising I only drink water.
>Then I drink a tall coffee *slowly* over the course of 1 hour. This completely kills your appetite and just makes you insanely focused, which is awesome on those early tuesday morning quantum mechanics lectures
>about 5 hours after rising I might feel some slight hunger so I'll have an apple to refill liver glycogen
>about 7 hours after rising I have my first big meal. It's typically like 1 pm at this point.
>I then typically eat another piece of fruit around 6 pm just before my work out if it's a workout day
>after working out I eat another huge meal

Completely satisfied with no cravings while at an 800 kcal deficit. That's what fat loss success feels like.
>>
>>36835510
>Jesus
>fasting
The dude walked around multiplying breads and fishes and turning water to vine, dude.
>>
>>36835036
>> 27 years after Zyzz
>> not being elite fasters
>>
>>36841084
Not only that but also the gay shorts and the lack of torso skin.
>>
IF Keto is the way to go. do a "cut" 3 months before summer on maintenance cals and u'll get ripped as fuck WHILE u build muscle.
>>
I do something like IF
My daily eating schedule changes based on when my workout is but usually it's something like
>wake up
>water
>small amount of carbs and protein ~1 hour before training
>more water
>large dinner spread out over 1.5-3 hours

Sometimes I will have a snack after I eat dinner which is usually pretty protein heavy. If I'm planning on working out late in the day I'll have a small breakfast of maybe 3-400 calories and if my workout is in the morning I'll eat some fruit or a light snack in between training and dinner.
>>
>>36835036
It's incredible tbqh. I used to think cutting was hard and I've been doing the most half assed IF cut (don't even count my calories or eat clean I just approximate) and I've lost no shit 30-40 lbs since January. Some of it was probably muscle but nothing I can't get back. Definitely happy with the results don't believe anyone that says it's a troll or a meme
>>
1500cal IF. Took me 309 days to lose 70,4lbs.
>>
Eat when you're hungry. It works as long as you're not a fat fuck that eats everything compulsively.
>>
>>36842409
eating at maintenance or caloric deficit?
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.