[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you possibly call athletes who endure the most physically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: golfersVSmainstream.jpg (356 KB, 1992x757) Image search: [Google]
golfersVSmainstream.jpg
356 KB, 1992x757
How can you possibly call athletes who endure the most physically demanding sport and activities for 8-10 hours a day, every day, along with miles of walking and swinging a metal club at 135mph+ driving a small ball hundreds of yards and walking 5+ miles back-to-back-to-back-to-back days in order to win a competitive tournament among the most physically strong and fierce competitors in the world ... not athletes?

How come we admire football and baseball players, and boxers when the majority of them lack physical strength both body-wise and mentally wise. Granted, both sports of very athletic players, but the MAJORITY are not. Golf, on the other hand, is the majority of professional players are amazingly athletic and in shape ... yet we, as a "fitness" board, look down among these iron man (golfers).

People who drink beer, take carts, and can't break 80 are NOT golfers. Going out with your friends and getting wasted on a golf course is not GOLFING, it's being nothing.. the sport of golf is one that consists of 8-10 of extremely hard work on the putting green, chipping, and driving range along with condition of walking and playing the course and intense gym workouts designed for mobility, strength, endurance, stamina, and power... all the prime fitness essentials ... all other sports "athletes" only have one if that.

It's high time we accept golf as an extremely athletic sport, and even more start following their workout routines.
>>
>>36833014
I thought they used golf carts and had caddies and all that.
>>
Yeah we know it's a sport dude chill out your erection.
>>
golf is a sport for retirees and hedge fund managers with nothing better to do. you are neither of those things, and nor is the rest of /fit/, so it should not be discussed here
>>
>>36833099
>>36833057
this is what the common retard thinks
>>
>>36833014
Who says golf isnt a sport? Its the most highly paid sport in the world...
But yep its just walking and swinging clubs
>>
>>36833173
The OP moved the goal posts. The first question is are they athletes.

My answer is I'm not really bothered. Obv they're less athletic than track and fielders or something, and probs at a similar level to something like a jockey.
>>
>>36833235
Don't underestimate jockeys man.

Golfing is more of a technical sport than a physical sport anyways
>>
>>36833014
Bubba. Watson.
>>
>>36833014
>boxers
>not physically strong
>>
File: tumblr_n6i9kyUlkF1rpwm80o1_250.jpg (46 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6i9kyUlkF1rpwm80o1_250.jpg
46 KB, 184x184
>>36833014
Because before Tiger Woods golfers were in shitty shape. He proved you can WRECK in that sport by being in shape. Having a few great rounds won't help if your last ones are shit from being tired. But, having some okay rounds for a whole game is better when you aren't dying from a short walk.
>>
I don't think anyone in the history of the Earth has ever said professional golfers aren't athletes.
>>
File: 1461013845235.jpg (455 KB, 1992x757) Image search: [Google]
1461013845235.jpg
455 KB, 1992x757
>>36833014
You cherrypicked on both sides and that was the *best* you could find?
>>
>hating on Brady

you disgust me
>>
File: DalyOakman.png (464 KB, 709x284) Image search: [Google]
DalyOakman.png
464 KB, 709x284
>>36833014
See, I can cherrypick, too!
Calling golf the most physically demanding sport when you acknowledge people can go and drink beer on the course proves it's not.
>>
>>36836205
You compared John Daly (worlds worst professional golfer) to an elite football player ... I'm not cherry picking ... i'm comparing average golfers to average baseball and football and boxers... not the worst to the best.
>>
>>36836446
What's your definition of "average", then? What are you basing your choices on? You don't know wtf you're talking about if you say that athletes in other sports don't train to more than one of the following that you listed: mobility, strength, endurance, stamina, and power. What sports do/did you play?
>>
>>36836475
For example, Camilo Vegas (pictured top left) is an average golfer, meaning not the greatest, but not the worst. Pablo Sandoval is an average ball player, not the best, but not the worst. Same thing with the boxer, Wilfork, and others...

I played baseball in D1 college for Clemson, starting Shortstop and reserve third baseman.. I played well, worked extremely hard, and had potential to go pro, but decided to pursue other interests.. i ended up getting a degree in Law and work as a free lance lawyer, currently, as well as a semi-professional golfer after I took it up in college Junior year... I'm a scratch handicap and have endured extreme, extreme work in golf, much more than I ever have in baseball despite working equally as hard in both sports. I also played football for a D1 high school, was a tight end and reserve wide receiver ... I played basketball as a senior for the same D1 high school and was the center.. basically, I've played almost all the sports at a high enough level to know what they are.. and golf blows me away when it comes to competition and work ethic you need to stay good at the game. Other sports require extreme work ethic and talent, too, but not as much as golf
>>
>>36836535
To even be pro, you have to be at the elite level. John Daly is still pro, despite not being one of the top. That means he could crush the vast vast majority of anybody he played. Shawn Oakman has not proven himself at the pro level yet. To be the best in any popular competitive sport it takes an insane amount of dedication and work ethic. Why do so few college players go pro in football, then? The line between "good enough to play in college" even D1 in a P5 conference and "good enough to play in the NFL" is monumental. How many people could really go professional in baseball? I've met plenty of people that got drafted for baseball but didn't want to play in the minors. That's a huge leap between the varying levels of the minors. In order to be in that top 1% of athletes "good enough" to be pro, it takes all of their time to be dedicated, regardless of sport.

I'm not saying it's not extremely difficult to be an elite leve golfer. It absolutely is. It's a ruthless sport in terms of how the game plays at that level. But, saying that golf is the most physically demanding sport is foolish, to be honest. Golfers all play one position. I notice you didn't pick any "average" running backs, wide receivers, safeties, or any other position whose normal players look aesthetic and are freaks of athletic capability.

You pointing out the differences between people drinking a 12-pack on the greens and Rory McIlroy would be like pointing out the differences between an office softball team and the St Louis Cardinals.
>>
>>36833014
The most athletic sport has to be hockey. Endurance, physicality, and violence. And it's nonstop.
>>
>>36836945
OP here, I agree with this. My dad was a hockey player, and made the switch to professional golf when he turned 28. My grandfather won golden gloves in the Navy and a purple heart during the Korean war, was a great hockey player. I'd list the most physically demanding sports as follows:

1.) Hockey
2.) Basketball
3.) Soccer
4.) Rugby
5.) Golf

By saying golf is the most "physically demanding sport", I meant most "underrated" so to speak, but it's surely in the top 5. I just feel as if the popular sports (football, baseball) don't even come close to the demanding levels of hockey, soccer, basketball, and golf..
>>
>>36833014
Man, I really wish I knew how to golf/was rich and american
>>
>>36837000
The nicest golf course in a huge city in california is $14/day.. instead of buying your starbucks or a new phone/laptop, put it towards something like a country club.

In other countries, such as Ireland and parts of Europe, golf is practically free. I've played baseball and football, and can reassure this theory that both those sports are triple the cost for tournaments, equipment, and team costs than golf ever has or will be in any part of the world.
>>
File: 1459169164064.jpg (25 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
1459169164064.jpg
25 KB, 323x454
>>36833014
I don't see the point in being ripped for golf unless you're trying to purposely fuck around and Happy Gilmore it every time. Just seems like far too much effort for a bitch sport.
>>
>NFL
>strength standard is benching 225 for reps
Not as if it's the pinnacle of Han athleticism but to say golf is more physically demanding is ridiculous
>>
File: 1376203478548.jpg (10 KB, 450x355) Image search: [Google]
1376203478548.jpg
10 KB, 450x355
>>36833014
No
>>
>>36833014
let's be honest football and baseball aren't really that physically demanding by the sport itself, it's just that usually getting the skills you need to play needs practice. That being said is for fags, I have friends who play it and even drink beers while playing so it really isn't that demanding either
>>
>>36836911
shhhhiiiiiiiittttttt nigga I go to clemson
>>
>>36836535
You think high school football is representative of the work needed to succeed professionally? I actually did play D1 football. The hardest day of high school ball is an average day at even lower levels of college ball. Not to mention the pros.
>>
Golfers have so much spare time in between games and aren't physically tired, it seems only natural that the younger golfers would hit the gym after.
>>
>>36833320
This guy gets it. Golf is a precision sport.
>>
>>36833014
People wanna see impact. Hitting each other and jumping. Speed and violence are fun to watch. Gold has neither.
>>
>>36836535

There's plenty of "average" baseball players that don't look like that though
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.