[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone tried the strength 5×5 program? Ive been at it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: 1460644396192.jpg (136 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
1460644396192.jpg
136 KB, 499x368
Has anyone tried the strength 5×5 program?

Ive been at it for almost a month and reached 50kg in my squats today. Not only does my routine consist of the regular squats, deadlift, benchpress, barbell row and overhead press, alternating between benchpress/deadlifts and barbellrow/overhead press every second day, but i include running 5 mins before workout, lunges and various body excercises like dips, pushups, pull ups and planking. The thing is though, today when squatting it felt a lot more difficult then previous sessions. Ive been increasing the weight by 2.5kg every session.
Is my additions to the program putting too much strain on my ability to add more weight for squats, or is this normal once you reach a certain weight?
The idea behind the strength program is to keep adding weight with every workout.
Im eating well so my diet ahouldnt hinder my progress.
Any advice?

Pic unrelated
>>
File: 2016-04-09_11.28.31_1.jpg (122 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-09_11.28.31_1.jpg
122 KB, 1080x1080
>>36828545
It's a beginner program because it's so basic, you don't want it to get to complicated when you're just starting out. After you're comfortable with the direction you're in then you can add them slowly on alternating days.

Pic related me when I did the SL 5x5 program even though it's a strength program I still gained a bit of nice mass.
>>
Why do you even post a pic like that or have it saved?

This isn't /b/ you fucking neckbeard. Disgusting/
>>
>>36828545
It's normal. Eventually, adding weight every session gets really fucking hard. So hard that you need to reset the weight a bit to be able to continue. Eventually that falls too, and you need more complex programming.
>>
>>36828545
Don't forget to add in cold showers and gomad for the full meme package
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4032x3024
>>36828545
I've been doing SL for 3 months now and I'm moving onto ICF (SL with more accessories).

>pic related it's me this far
>>
>>36828545
>>36828947
My advice is too add some accessories after a while since you've probably gotten use to the simplicity. Also, just try to follow it perfectly in terms of reps, sets and weight. If it tells you to lift 80kg for 5x5 then do it. Get the app it'll tell you when to deload
>>
>>36828654
my foot looked like that once after a 4 day hike

it wasn't that bad desu it was all just dead skin that peeled off painlessly and that was the end of it
>>
>>36829256
What distance? Terrain? Humid or nah? I wanna try that, peeling off all that dead skin looks like it'd be a blast.
>>
File: blackhills.jpg (876 KB, 2394x1346) Image search: [Google]
blackhills.jpg
876 KB, 2394x1346
>>36829297
pic related but it was rainy/foggy the entire time
>>
>>36829256
what did you do with the skin?
>>
>>36829364
That's absolutely beautiful, brah. Thank you.
>>
File: 100301_front.jpg (142 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
100301_front.jpg
142 KB, 480x640
I'll give you my honest review:

Pros:
-It was awesome for back/chest/leg(this one in particular) gainz.

Cons:
-Not good for arm gains.
-It destroyed my posture.
-Lower back was pretty close to give uo on me. Always felt some sort of compression on it or some kind of pain or discomfort.
And before you accuse me of bad form, I can assure you that it was pretty good, all the trainers in the gym used to compliment me on it, and I am pretty confident about my flexibility (used to practice martial arts).
-Shoulder pain, but I think this one was my fault, because I was trying push press for a while.
-Gained fat. You cannot increase your strength if you are not in a caloric surplus.

I wont go back to this program, I want to grow older with health, and not destroying my body with a weird program.
>>
>>36828545
Eating well is good, are you eating enough though?
>>
>>36829434
How long were you on it?
Being pretty much spent after 12 weeks of squatting 3 times a week is pretty normal desu.
>>
>>36829256
>ed like that once after a 4 day hike
>it wasn't that bad desu it was all just dead skin that peeled off painlessly and that

Pls respond,Anon. What did you do with the skin?
>>
>>36829374
>>36829737

I ate it.

Nah but srs I peeled it all off onto a paper towel or something and I just flushed it down the toilet.
>>
>>36829912
>I ate it.

haha. I was just memeing you. Shit's so satifying to peel like a sunburn but thicker.
>>
File: goldmember.jpg (73 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
goldmember.jpg
73 KB, 1280x544
>>36829374
>>
>>36828545
>Is my additions to the program putting too much strain on my ability to add more weight for squats, or is this normal once you reach a certain weight?
Once you get to a certain weight, it becomes harder to progress 'easily'. I found that once I hit like 185, each time I squatted really took a lot of effort.It takes a while and a lot of mental fortitude to get the bar back up when you are down in the hole, but its worth it.

I still have shit stats, bit over 1/2/3/3.5 for reps, but looking back, 185 is ez pz. keep at it OP
>>
File: progress pic.png (645 KB, 1024x693) Image search: [Google]
progress pic.png
645 KB, 1024x693
4x8-12 program up until that last pic. That was 3 months ago. Since then I've put on another 8lbs and switched to 5x5. I got less lean by quite a bit because of the bulk though so Im kinda afraid to take another progress pic. Ill probably take another pic in a few months after a cut. My strength has increased tremendously since then though. At the end of my 4x8, I was only benching 135. Now on the 5x5 I hit 175 or 7x3 of 185.

More reps per set is better for aesthetics but heavier weights with lower reps is better for the gains. Just depends on your goals bro.
>>
>>36829434
>-Lower back was pretty close to give uo on me. Always felt some sort of compression on it or some kind of pain or discomfort.
>And before you accuse me of bad form, I can assure you that it was pretty good, all the trainers in the gym used to compliment me on it, and I am pretty confident about my flexibility (used to practice martial arts).
Your form was shit.
I've seen plenty of guys who claimed great form, but hyperextended their back like crazy on deadlifts and squats.
>>
>>36830456
>More reps per set is better for aesthetics but heavier weights with lower reps is better for the gains
Are aesthetics not gains? I don't understand what the fuck you mean by this, shortbro
>>
>>36830515
Im talking bout strength vs size gains. I made really good size gains in a few months by following a hypertrophic regimen. I then switched it up to a strength building regimen and made really fast strength gains but lost some of the aesthetics (probably due mostly to diet). Aesthetics arent real gains anyway. I would rather build my strength up and cut down to aesthetic mode later on down the road.

When I first started lifting I only cared about looking better but now I want to challenge myself to get stronger. Like I said before, its all about your end goal.
>>
What do you guys think about doing SL 5x5 plus some accessories on a cut? I've been doing that for about 2 weeks. I don't expect to make huge gains, but I have a high bf% and want to do some lifting while I cut because
1. only doing cardio is boring
2. I want to preserve what little muscle I have while burning as much fat as possible

Does this seem plausible?
>>
>>36830806
You're not going to be making gains on a cut man. On a cut you should be doing a hypertrophic rep range (8-12). A 5x5 regimen isnt going to preserve your muscle size as well as a 4x8-12 would. Might help your strength some but if aesthetics is your goal, I'd recommend changing to more reps of a lighter weight.
>>
>>36830806
This is fine for your goals
>>
>>36829434
>destroys back on a beginner program doing squats and deadlifts when guys have been doing them for years without issues
>GUSY MY FORM WAS GREAT THE DYEL TRAINERS AT MY GYM SAID SO

You're going to be the next guy in the gym warning people about doing squats and deadlifts. You obviously didn't know what the fuck you were doing if you were doing a push press instead of OHP and you managed to hurt yourself doing that.
>>
>>36830806
Think about what you're saying:
>Guys produce more while taking in less
Why don't you use that fat body to your advantage and get some big fucking lifts, then cut weight to reveal that muscle underneath. Because I'll be honest with you, it's alot harder coming from skeleton trying to get big to fat guy trying to get big.
>>
>>36830863
eh i dont agree with that

i've ran 2 cycles of 5/3/1 while cutting and i've been keeping up with the progression so far.

been lifting for 1.5 yrs as well so they aren't noob gains. you just have to make sure you're macros and preworkout nutrition is on point and you can make strength gains while cutting
>>
>>36829256
Happened to my ear after being out at -30 for like an hour. My ear swelled up like mad then shrunk again.
>>
>>36831011
5/3/1 is slow as fuck and you barely progress. You're should probably switch to something more intermediate like Madcow or Texas Method
>>
>>36828646
lol @ ur chest
>>
>>36831446
You're right, but it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. You'd probably only really save like 6 months to get to the same point. At least with 5/3/1 you don't really have stalls and resets like you do with the other programs. Plus, he says he's cutting, and that's really not possible on the Texas Method.
>>
File: overhead-press-lockout.jpg (50 KB, 328x346) Image search: [Google]
overhead-press-lockout.jpg
50 KB, 328x346
I've been on 5x5 for about two months. My left shoulder started to hurt recently and I found out I was doing overhead presses with slightly bad form. Should I lower the weight and start over with better form?
>>
>>36831519
>save 6 months
You go up 5lbs on bench and OHP and possibly 10lbs on squat and deadlift a MONTH on 5/3/1. You go up 5lbs per week on the other two. It takes 18 or 9 months to go up 1 pl8 on 5/3/1. It takes 18 weeks on the others.

The point is there is no point in saying 5/3/1 is going to let you progress on a cut because you're not even fucking moving unless you're lifting daddy weight. It's like saying you didn't stall on baby weight bro splits.
>>
>>36831738
Yes, deload and work on form. Stop and heal if the pain continues.
>>
>>36830456
Your arms got pretty big pretty fast
>>
>>36828545
Ahhhh that must have been so satisfying to peel that off.
>>
>>36829434

The lower back pain is your fault. I squatted and deadlifted for a long time with lower back issues until I fixed my form and now my lower back doesn't feel super compressed and shitty after each set anymore.
>>
File: 20160403_114154.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160403_114154.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>36829364
>>36829297
We /hiking general/ now?
>>
>>36832556
where's this?
>>
>>36832615
Kennesaw, Ga. It's looking at Atlanta
>>
>>36832674
nice
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.