[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is "eating clean" a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: clean.jpg (111 KB, 750x514) Image search: [Google]
clean.jpg
111 KB, 750x514
is "eating clean" a meme?
>>
File: thetic.jpg (25 KB, 359x595) Image search: [Google]
thetic.jpg
25 KB, 359x595
Nope.

Post a picture of one natural lifter with a good physique and a shitty diet.
Protip: You can't
>>
>>36820450
what if they just follow their macros?
>>
>>36820450
>shitty diet
>a diet that isn't """"clean"""" memefoods all day every day
if you pick 2 you're a certified retard
>>
>>36820476
You can't expect to look good if you eat shit food
And you can follow macros using whole foods
>>
>>36820476
then they're gonna get the same results with half the autism and twice the social life
>>
>>36820476
hitting your macros is eating far cleaner than most people anon.

>>36820493
>he doesn't actually enjoy good food like meat, eggs, dairy, and veggies
ayyy lmao. enjoy your pizza rolls and zebra cakes
>>
>>36820526
i mean "clean" memefoods like chicken and brown rice
>>
>>36820433
It's an eating disorder
>>
>>36820538
Well we have different definitions of clean.

For me, almost any unprocessed specially packaged food is ok. Like what you'd find at a fresh food market. Doesn't have to be just chicken and rice

It starts getting "unclean" (shitty) when you're eating TV dinners, premade desserts, cereal, eggo chocolate chip pancakes, cheetos, Mcdonalds, stuff like that. You can have it in moderation on a bulk but that has to be the first thing to go when you start cutting or you'll never make it.
>>
>>36820526
nobody said anything about not enjoying unprocessed food you gigantic retard
eat your brown rice with boiled chicken and broccoli if you want but your body hardly gives a fuck about anything other than total macros for the day
stop spreading memes
>>
>>36820575
you get what you put in
>>
>>36820575
>your body hardly gives a fuck about anything other than total macros for the day
hahaha. Do you actually think a cookie is as good a source of carbs as rice?

>b-but muh macros! It fits them!
Don't be naive anon.
>>
File: nutritionIndex.gif (7 KB, 219x347) Image search: [Google]
nutritionIndex.gif
7 KB, 219x347
>>36820611
>i-i-i-it tastes bad! i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-t must be better!

If all food is different then why does pic related exist? It's to tell you what your body will nutritionally gain from it

because a sugar is a sugar, fiber is fiber, protein is protein, a calorie is a calorie
>>
>>36820693
But sugar is carbs anon. You're dodging the question

Do you actually think a cookie is as good a source of carbs as rice?
>>
The whole point of a diet is to get a sufficient amount of nutrients. Eating """clean""" is just a meme.
>>
>>36820711
not him but
literaly yes
if we're talking about a SOURCE OF CARBS
and as far as gains, it's about macros, and carbs are a macro
it isn't as good as an everyday food item as rice though
>>
>>36820575
retard
>>
File: feel guy smiling.gif (18 KB, 534x640) Image search: [Google]
feel guy smiling.gif
18 KB, 534x640
>>36820693
>>
>>36820538
That's not really what eating "clean" means. Just try to make most of your food Food. As in stuff that has less than 6 ingredients. minimally processed. Stuff you would be able to find people somewhere on Earth eating in 1880.
>>
>>36820739
how does it feel being a 10 year old?
>>
>>36820711
you need both, which is why there are subsections in the carb count

so yeah, by weight it provides more carbs as a total, but you need both fiber and sugar, unlike rice which is entirely fiber
>>
>>36820711

All carbs are broken down to glucose. Carbs are just an energy source. There is nothing special in rice that makes it better or worse than a cookie.
>>
>>36820749

The 19th century diet. Stale bread and potatoes
>>
>>36820738
But there are different kinds of carbs (as there are different kinds of protein and different kinds of fats). Look up glycemic index.

Some carbohydrates are better than others, because they release more slowly (lower glycemic index.) Pure glucose (100 GI) is worst and has the highest tendency to turn straight into bodyfat.

Some protein sources are better than others, because they contain a "more complete" protein profile or whatever (and then there is also BCAA and Casein, which supposedly can serve different roles)

I have no fucking clue what's up with the different types of fats, DESU, but from what I understand mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are the best, as well as omega-3 fatty acids.
>>
File: frankstradecardmenu.jpg (132 KB, 435x718) Image search: [Google]
frankstradecardmenu.jpg
132 KB, 435x718
>>36820804
if your a fucking Irish yeah

1880s were pretty modern food wise in freedomistan
>>
>>36820854

tip top broscience
>>
>>36820738
>>36820762
>>36820780
Please post your poptart bodies

A calorie IS a calorie, but if you think insulin has no effect on nutrient partitioning, you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>36820854
fun fact: white bread has a higher glycemic index than pure sugar.

>>36820693
there are different kinds of sugar, like fructose, glucose, lactose, ribose, galactose ... and yes all of them are digested differently and thus act differently on our body.

proteins do too differ in their composition and you'd be hard pressed to try gaining anything on a diet consisting only of collagen ... except malnutrition of course.

and guess what? there's also n-thousand different kinds of fibre ...

actually what I am trying to say is you shouldn't be talking about nutrition. you really shouldn't.
>>
>>36820854
difference between different carbs sources is small as far as body composition/gains if total macros are fine. as long as we're not comparing pure sugar to wild black ancient tibetan oats with 50g of fiber per 100g. white bread or brown rice, your body almost never gives a shit
T b h even people who eat extreme IIFYM diets for the sake of it choose only complete protein sources. nobody sane would eat only beans or something and claim it's as good as meat
fats are different but the amazing effects of omega3 etc are exaggerated and a meme
>>
>>36820854
>>36820883
>>36820711
>>36820611
>>36820450

>gaslighting yourself into eating a slim variety of foods because some broscience said your macros will be completed with .000008% more efficiency
>>
>>36820869
Pretty much 100% commonly accepted stuff you can find on wikipedia and other sources.

GI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

On different kinds of proteins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)#Protein_quality

As mentioned, Casein and BCAA are considered to be on less steady ground, scientifically speaking. But there are some respected papers published on the benefits of BCAAs as well.

On fats:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/basics/fats.html

etc
>>
>>36820934
>slim variety of foods
>he's never been to a fresh food market
loving every laugh
>>
>>36820945
>Some carbohydrates are better than others

Citation needed
>>
>>36820934
It's not really any extra effort or restriction to prefer carb sources with a lower glycemic index on a day-to-day-basis, just cut out the really high-sugar shit like coke, juice, ...
>>
>>36820945
but does it really matter?

like, if you are getting your macros in, and you eat normie foods, like steak and pasta, it shouldnt be that much of a difference

because really all sugar is processed basically the same (sugar>energy or sugar>fat) eating exclusively low glycemic index diabetes sugar shouldnt matter

i agree about the completeness of protein though, but unless you are a vegan faggot you shouldnt need to worry about not hitting it
>>
>>36820804
I said people "somewhere on Earth" might be eating, not all your shit Yuropoor village had
>>
SAME THREADS

EVERY DAY
>>
>>36820450
You realize your picture is the antithesis of your comment, right?
>>
>>36820933
> the amazing effects of omega3 etc are exaggerated and a meme

you know vitamin c has incredible effects on teeth when you have scurvy and with omega-3 fatty acids it's the same: the general publics diet is deficient of omega-3 fatty acids ...

and if you don't trust some anonymous stranger on a russian balalaika forum, then maybe one of the most cited scientists of the 20th century might change your mind in regards to the importance of micronutrients in your diet:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098299705000415

(just an example, though)
>>
>>36820988
There are plenty in the wikipedia article, like the one study on rats where high-GI rats had 71% higher bodyfat% and % less LBM, as well as the study on humans that shows that EE is higher for low-GI foods.

>>36820998
I don't know if it *truly* matters to the normal lifter (and I'm not going to make some claim either way), so you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Personally, I don't find it too difficult to prefer low-GI carb sources, complete-profile protein sources (but my fats I don't have under control at all, DESU), so I'm going for "better be safe than sorry", in case it does help my body to turn less of it into bodyfat, in case it does lead to less tooth decay, etc. Certainly no need to be a fanatic about it.
>>
>>36821064
*8% less LBM
>>
define eating clean.
I eat whatever the fuck I want. Maybe that's because im on a bulk, but evenso, no such thing as a clean bulk.
>>
a certain mental barrier needs to be broken to leave broscience behind and try IIFYM yourself with an open mind. we're taught from early age that VEGETABLES = YOU'RE GONA GET BIG AND STRONG. PREPACKAGED FOOD = CANCER AND OBESITY
it's a good approach overall considering that most people eat whenever they're hungry and eat as much as they like, without counting macros and micros, and it's easy to overeat and get micronutrient deficiencies on "bad food"
not being able to figure out why we're taught that and that there's more into it is like not being able to understand the universe is 15 billion years old because Bible clearly says otherwise
most cleanfoodretards have never even tried flexible dieting and are convinced all their muscle would turn into fat if they ate ice cream instead of rice once
limited knowledge is a factor too. it's hard to believe some people think it's
>[food -----> muscle/fat]
and not
>[food ----> magic in form of enzymes and shit -----> glucose, aminoacids, fatty acids -----> muscle/fat]
>>
>>36821045
not being scared of eating junk food as long as it fits your macros =/= never eating vitamin sources
>>
>>36820433
If you like the idea of being ripped but having acne, hemorrhoids, and irritable bowels then you should definitely not eat clean.

And by clean I mean Paleo.
>>
>>36821206
Paleofag spotted
>>
No.

Before anyone spouts the usual barely relevant calories in/calories out shit, there is much more to it than that.

Yes you lose weight by ingesting fewer calories than you expend. However you ideally want every last gram of that to be fat (even though this is impossible natty and probably on roids as well), and in order to get as close to this ideal goal as possible, your diet should be as clean as possible.

An unclean diet is a half measure and this is true for bulks as well. The more unnecessary energy you add during a bulk (for example eating chocolate and having the energy metabolize as you sit at your desk at work), the more you need to strip off during a cut.

People don't bulk or cut clean and then wonder why they have made shitty progress. Absolutely haram.
>>
as long as you get all your micros and get close to your macros, it doesnt matter

however, high fat diets will lead to heart disease, all cause mortality, etc. so bottom line is dont eat a high fat diet and dont go overboard with protein .8-1g per bw is sufficient
>>
>>36820433
lol yes it's a meme, and the biggest meme
I've been lifting for 3 years, and during my first year and half or so I ate nothing but bro-foods and didn't even touch a piece of candy
then I started slowly introducing 'junk' food back into my diet over time until I now just have a calorie and protein goal, and fill the rest of my calories with literally anything I want
guess what? literally ZERO difference in body composition, muscle building, ANYTHING compared to when I was on a bro-diet
>b-but muh health!
resistance training, not drinking alcohol/smoking, and being lean puts you in REALLY good health, literally better than 99%+ of the general population. there is not a thing wrong with eating a bag of cookies IIFYM.
there are exceptions to this, like those with family history of certain diseases who need to avoid certain diseases
>>
>>36820526

Pizza is literally dairy, veggies, and (optionally) meat you retardo
>>
>>36821309
>family history of certain diseases who need to avoid certain diseases
family history of certain diseases who need to avoid certain things*
>>
>>36821248
>and probably on roids as well
you don't know anything about steroids then
>for example eating chocolate and having the energy metabolize as you sit at your desk at work
as if that makes any difference whether you're active or inactive at the time of eating a meal lol. protip: people get fat from doing that if they don't even lift and eat too much. if you drink a protein shake and eat a bar of chocolate, you're not too much above your TDEE and you lift, the energy can be used for recovery quite fucking efficiently with no problem
and stop using memewords clean/unclean without defining them. you can literally leave a blank space instead, those words don't mean anything
>>
Is getting your protein from chicken breasts or tuna instead of KFC and Pizza Hut really that much of a problem?
>>
>>36821389
Aside from heightened calorie and fat levels not really

But if you are hitting the macros you are golden
>>
>All these people who seriously still don't get calories in calories out.

If you're getting fat your routine isn't causing you to train hard enough to recruite muscle fibers or your eating more carbs than your using. A cookie that is 200 calories gives you the same energy as rice its all carbohydrates the cookie will just be available faster. If you're trying to hit lifting goals you should be shoving as many carbs in you as you can.

>captcha: cookies
>>
>>36821389

Yes, those taste disgusting and Pizza Hut is delicious. I gained like 90% of my muscles from pizza hut deepdish pan pizza with extra cheese
>>
Nice meme
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with dirty bulking
>>
>>36820433
better question: will removing pizza, burgers and fries from your diet really reduce pimples?

prolly just a stupid meme
>>
>>36823532
for me, the thing that primarily helped me to reduce pimples was to cut out high-sugar stuff like chocolate.
>>
>>36820433

Drink a cup of crude oil and see if you get any gainz
>>
Nope

80/10/10 vegan is the way to go
>>
>>36823579
80/10/10 is a tad overkill, and esp. if you're bulking and aiming for high calorie counts, that amount of protein can tax your kidneys.

Like if you were aiming for 3500kcals/day, with an 80/10/10 split, that'd be like 700g protein/day, which is more than twice what common high-protein diets recommend as safe upper limit. Might wanna go over that with your GP before you commit to that.
>>
>>36821131
Here's your wew
>>
File: phelps.jpg (89 KB, 949x1400) Image search: [Google]
phelps.jpg
89 KB, 949x1400
>>36820450
>>
File: 1460602936007.jpg (217 KB, 970x840) Image search: [Google]
1460602936007.jpg
217 KB, 970x840
>>36823550
interesting...
maybe I should go full rogan
>>
>>36823677
80 carb, 10 fat ,10 protein
>>
>>36823877
that's... very little protein.
>>
>>36823848
Also showering every day and just doing more lifting/cardio/walking/sports in general helped a lot.
>>
>>36821034
>Zyzz
>natty
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.