[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is water the ultimate meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Tabla-Agua.jpg (52 KB, 340x400) Image search: [Google]
Tabla-Agua.jpg
52 KB, 340x400
How can water have zero calories if a calorie is defined as the energy needed to raise 1 gram of waters temp by 1 degree? This would mean that the same method of measuring the calories in any other substance would also indicate water has calories.
>>
A calorie is the energy needed to exceed the heat capacity of water enough to raise the temperature by 1 degree. Water itself does not contain energy, but like all substances, it has a specific heat capacity.
>>
>>36817141
>unironically being retarded
>>
>>36817141
You are technically correct in the strictest sense water does have calories (a quantity of energy)

However since our bodies do not and cannot use water as a source of energy we say water has no calories.

Water is essential to life and all metabolic processes, but water itself is not an energy source.
>>
>>36817141
Anything above 0 kelvin has thermal energy. Water is negative energy because our body burns energy to heat the water to body temperature, 1kcal/litre/degree. The calories recorded on those data sheets are chemical energy. They are not the same.
>>
Your body doesn't break up water so it doesn't have energy for your body.
>>
>>36817141
nice thread lads, we could have done it even better without the usual underage shitty brat >>36817215
but nice thread anyway
>>
Lol what the fuck
>>
>>36817719
Ok this actually makes sense.
>>
File: 1457265916594.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1457265916594.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>36817141
This has to be bait.
>>
>>36817288
Tru that, but if we're going to be pedantic, technically drinking cold water can increase your BMR (and perhaps drinking warm water could decrease your BMR -- I've never heard any source for that claim, though), because your body will obtain thermal energy from the water that warms it up, and subsequently does not need to expend energy for the heating-up itself. So to some degree your body can use water as an energy source/sink.
>>
>>36817141
if anything water that's colder than your own body temperature has negative calories since your body transfers heat energy until it has reach body temperature. same concept for why you need more calories in colder temperature
>>
>>36818362
that isn't really calories in the same sense though that is just thermal energy

just like in colder temperatures you need more calories but its not because the air you are breathing has negative calories
its just thermal energy
>>
>>36818390
well it is technically calories because calories measure energy and heat is a form of energy. the amounts are negligible but the point is it's still slightly negative.
>>
>>36818421
I was saying calories are usually used to measure chemical energy in food. Not absolute energy in object.

Just like chemical engineers do energy balances with regular units of energy instead of calories.
>>
>>36818421
just to drive the point home. you are transferring/losing calories of energy to the water resulting in a net loss which is represented as a negative. so negative calories.
>>
>>36818448
well a calorie can easily be converted to a joule or whatever. it's all energy. doesn't really make a difference.
>>
>>36818494
I know again I was just saying its not what people usually mean by calorie
>>
>>36818515
yeah but it's still technically negative calories. a calorie is just a measure of energy whether chemical or heat or whatever. if you lose heat energy you lose calories. if you gain chemical energy you gain calories. and vice versa. you shouldn't imply something is incorrect when it isn't just because most people "mean" something when they say it. that's a good way to begin misinformation and ignorance.
>>
>>36818567
guess we should start counting all the mechanical energy going into eating then
cause technically we have to count that to be sure we count calories correctly.
>>
>>36817141
They measure food by dehydrating it & then fucking burning it in a lab in a special insulated chamber & measuring the heat. Water does not burn (in a lab, nor in your body)
>>
>>36818567
plus the whole point was that water doesn't have calories because they are measuring chemical energy
>>
>>36818390
>the air you are breathing has negative calories
What the fuck am I reading? Riding my bike burns calories. Does that mean I should eat a fucking bike if I want to lose weight? You're retarded bro.
>>
>>36818607
well as I said before: its negligible our purposes. but yes, the energy we use to chew and swallow and look around the table and breathe can technically be subtracted from the net energy we gain from food. so you can cut the butt flustered sarcasm. I won
>>
>>36818661
he means that it takes energy for your body to keep itself at its normal temperature (which is slightly lowered when breathing in cold air)
>>
>>36818650
well we cant convert its chemical energy in our bodies so it's zero calories to us because we gain zero calories. but my point was that if you drank a cold glass of water your body would need to commit energy to raise the temperature of the new system (your body + the glass of water) to your normal body temperature which results in a net loss of calories from your body to the water which equals negative calories
>>
File: Untitled.png (428 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
428 KB, 1920x1080
>>36817141
1 liter of water by 1 degree celcius, not 1 gram. If it were 1 gram, a person would lose 36 thousand calories from drinking 1 liter of 1ÂșC water.
>>
>>36818808
you're wrong.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (387 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
387 KB, 1920x1080
>>36818845
you are right, I meant 1 kilocalorie
sorry
>>
What if you heat up water? Surely it will raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree if you mix it together. Is that why cold water is less calories?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.