[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sodium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-04-16-07-02-49-831103903.jpg (8 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-16-07-02-49-831103903.jpg
8 KB, 290x174
So why does everyone keep telling me I need to eat less sodium? I don't even eat a lot of processed foods and at best I sprinkle a small list amount of sea salt on my chicken or turkey for flavor when I'm eating at home.
>>
just..dont eat a whole 1.lb bag of jerky mate..

I'm speaking from experience
>>
It's harmful when it goes over 1000-1500mg/day.
>>
>>36802451
more like 3000
>>
>>36802473
That's what the salt Institute wants you to believe.
>>
>>36802305
Instead of sodium chloride eat potassium chloride.

It's a salt just like sodium chloride is and it tastes the same but it has no negative affects on your cholesterol
>>
>>36802451
you're a retard, people on sodium restricted diets have to eat under 2 grams which is 2000mg/day

salt is an essential mineral your body needs to function.
>>
>>36803297
>people on sodium restricted diets have to eat under 2 grams which is 2000mg/day
That's mostly because compliance becomes horrible when it goes below that. They could become even healthier with further restriction to the intake humans evolved to consume.

>salt is essential
So is water, cholesterol, iron, glucose, etc. Too much is bad.
>>
>>36803275
>eat potassium chloride.

Only if you're full retard.
>>
>>36803410
>glucose

This isn't essential. The body can make it from other shit.
>>
>>36803442
Like?
>>
>>36803429

Morton makes potassium salt you retardo, and most people are low in potassium anyway
>>
>>36803442
I'm talking essential in a general biological sense, not necessarily restricted to diet.
>>
>>36803473

If you say essential though, you mean that you literally need to eat it, because the body can't synthesize it from other simpler stuff, for some reason. Essential amino acids, essential micronutrients, minerals, etc.
>>
Tastes like salt, has 0 sodium, can entirely replace bananas for potassium (just sprinkle some into your hand and lick, that's like 12 bananas right there)
>>
You shouldn't eat more than 2g of sodium per day

In today's society going over that limit is extremely easy

Seriously, take a look at labels, do research on how much sodium is in foods, you will be very surprised to find out that you can easily consume 3-4g of it in a single meal
>>
Ok but none of you antisodium cucks ITT have actually explained the supposed negative effects. Is it just cardiovascular health you're compromising? Is muscle growth compromised? What are the consequences?
>>
File: ramen.jpg (91 KB, 800x632) Image search: [Google]
ramen.jpg
91 KB, 800x632
>>36802305
A good rule of thumb is that salt doesn't count unless you look at it
>>
>>36804940
Excessive consumption of sodium can make you retain water, make you look puffy and fat

Clear enough for you, m8?
>>
>>36803465
Neoglucogenesis is the process brah. Look it up.
>>
>>36805087
>wahhhhh I'm bloated

You sound like a girl on your period m8
>>
>>36803542
Who gives a fuck? You completely skated over his point to make an argument for arguments sake. I don't give a fuck that you're right, only that you've completely gone off on a tangent taking away from the usefulness of the thread.
>>
>>36805087
That's the best you could come up with? There's real downsides to too much sodium. Why even post that?
>>
>>36802305

>So why does everyone keep telling me I need to eat less sodium?

Because they're a bunch of born followers who just repeat shit they're told.

If you go looking for the hard evidence that it affects anything other than water retention, you will not find it, because there is no such evidence.
>>
>>36804901
In my early stages of using myfitnesspal I was shocked to see that I'd be consuming anywhere from 3-10g a day without really trying.

Even now that I hardly ever eat anything processed it's still a task to keep it under 2g.

Usually my potassium is over 5g which I believe helps.
>>
>>36805153

Based on the search results I just got, you're the one who needs to look this up.
>>
>>36805256
Except if you look at the national heart institute site which of course has a vested interest in bringing down the sodium industry because?

Fucking retards itt.
>>
>>36805290

the national heart institute site

> just repeat shit they're told

> hard evidence... doesn't exist

TIL retards can read and non-retards can't.
>>
Where did everyone go? Are you all googling for things that don't exist because your guidance counselor said?
>>
>>36805455
I'll save them the trouble:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1407695

>sodium scare-fags BTFO
>>
>>36803252
>salt institute
>>
File: 1425866553227.png (290 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1425866553227.png
290 KB, 680x680
>have high blood pressure
>have anxiety attacks
>doc says cure for both is less sodium

why have i been given a weak cardiovascular system /fit/?
>>
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-evidence-that-salt-raises-blood-pressure/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-skeptics-try-to-shake-up-the-salt-debate/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sprinkling-doubt-taking-sodium-skeptics-with-a-pinch-of-salt/
>>
>>36805283
"the synthesis of glucose from noncarbohydrate sources, such as amino acids and glycerol."

I'm not sure what's unclear about that.
>>
>>36805987
How is blood pressure relevant to a guy in his 20s?
>>
>>36805987
>nutritioncucks.org
>>
>>36806028
You said Neoglucogenesis instead of gluconeogenesis.

That being said the guy you were arguing with is still retarded
>>
>>36806169
>health doesn't matter if you are under 30
Is this what fucktards actually believe?
>>
>>36806214
>responds with ad hominem

Antisodium zealots everyone
>>
>>36805188
Not the anon you're talking to... But you'd have to be extremely naive to think that the average person eats anywhere near a dangerous amount of salt... Salt is essential, and to someone who is physically active salt is even more important! Restrictions on salt intake only benefits people with serious conditions and sedentary obese people.
>>
>>36806169

Because unless you plan on dying in your 20s from other causes, it'll end up fucking you later on
>>
>>36806236
I wasn't replacing my argument with an attack of the person.

I was repeating your stupidity and wondering if anyone was sincerely dumb enough to actually believe that.

Argumentum ad hominem is a fallacy when you replace your only argument with insult... I did not do that, fucktard.
>>
>>36806236
Not really ad hominem... Reductio ad absurdum, maybe.
>>
>>36806321

>But you'd have to be extremely naive to think that the average person eats anywhere near a dangerous amount of salt

You don't think all the campaigns to get people to lower their salt consumption are a hint that people eat a dangerous amount of salt?

>Salt is essential

What do you think this means? Our bodies need an amount of sodium, so any amount is fine? Talk about fucking naive
>>
>>36806368
>not eating pounds of docosahexanoic acid on the daily
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>36806339
Nah, you totally dodged the argument and dismissed it by calling me a fucktard. Shows you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>36806404
>Health doesn't matter if you are under 30!!!
>>
>>36806438
>muh ad hominem
>>
>>36806368
Well maybe you don't exercise.. But when you sweat you are losing large amounts of sodium... Ever look at the nutrition label on a Gatorade? It has a lot of salt for a beverage... If you are athletic and limit salt intake you are just asking for injury and poor performance..

Might as wekk that everyone eat exactly 2000cals a day, no need to eat more despite exercise.. What, drink water? No thanks I had my 8 cups even though I'm thirsty from this hike...

Cardiovascular problems across the country? Too hard to get them to exercise so let's just limit their salt intake and teach it like gospel... wait no proof that low sodium intake even helps? Well it must be salt, couldn't possibly be obesity or a sedentary lifestyle...

>limiting salt intake
Never going to make it
>>
>>36806468
>I am immune to heart diseases, because I pick heavy shit up 3x a week

Fuuuucking nailed it!
>>
>>36806468
This. Virtually every diet related problem in America can almost always be attributed to being sedentary and overweight or obese.
>>
>>36806492
>making fun of active people
Have fun with that when you eat your tasteless food
>>
>>36806492
This is why the board is no longer "fitness and health"
>>
So, anyone here take statistics and medical demography? Salt recommendations are only there because of a potential impact on a public health level.

The reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressure from decreasing sodium intake is only a few mmHg per person. On a large scale this could save many lives, but from individual to individual it will likely have virtually no impact.

There are some conditions in which sodium regulation is vital, mostly in regards to people with liver/kidney function ailments, those who take thiazides and diuretic meds, or those with severe edema/CHF.

That said, not everyone is even affected by salt intake. African Americans for instance have a greater response to reduction on average than whites. Cholesterol is the same, in a sense, in that for some people dietary cholesterol has zero impact on blood cholesterol levels, while others do.

Also, there have been a few recent studies that have shown very low sodium intake can lead to increased mortality by activating certain inflammation pathways which are actually bad news for arterial and circulatory health.
>>
>>36806525

>On a large scale this could save many lives, but from individual to individual it will likely have virtually no impact.

That makes no sense
>>
>>36806517
I am highly active.
I do anaerobic cardio 5x a week, and strength training 3x a week, outside of that I try to avoid sitting in general (am currently pacing around the house typing this on the ipad)

I don't pretend this gives me cardiovascular superpowers, and try to eat under 2300mg a day.

You can have tons of flavorful food without fucktons of sodium. just replace soy with liquid amines, and lrn2 cook properly.

Most seasonings are actually low sodium, just avoid prepackaged foods, and pre-mixed seasoning packets.

You can absolutely make low sodium miso soup, or gochujang chicken, or any other, traditionally salty food, at home, and still have it taste better than most restaurants
>>
>>36806547
Yes it does you stupid antisodium cuck. On a population level a reduction in sodium will reduce the number of heart disease cases but from individual to individual it probably won't make a difference.
>>
>>36806589
A population is literally nothing more than a high amount of individuals...
>>
>>36806599
Confirmed for not understanding statistics. Kill yourself.
>>
>>36802305
Sodium is an essential mineral. Tell people to shut the fuck up. I eat 5000ish mg a day, any less and I cramp up during training.
>>
>>36806612
Confirmed for statistician with heart disease
>>
still falling for the salt memes
>>
>>36806547

A minute, but small net positive might not help any given person, but could help a population when the scale is in the millions.

In this case, the reduction in blood pressure from salt reduction is very minor (2-4 mmHg). Will that prevent someone from getting cardiovascular disease or prevent a heart attack. Very likely no.

HOWEVER, when you do that for the 320 or so million people in the US, then you could potentially prevent thousands of heart attacks or cardiovascular problems.

Okay. Let's say you are driving somewhere and don't wear your seatbelt. Mostly likely nothing will happen because you are unlikely to get into a wreck.

HOWEVER, if everyone wears a seat belt, then many lives will be saved. On a grand scale, wrecks (heart disease) happens and preventive measures can reduce injuries even if it doesn't do anything for YOU personally.
>>
>>36802305
>mfw when I found the will to workout a lot but I can't find the will to eat right
I'll probably die at 70, but at least I'll be fit.
>>
>>36806589

If it doesn't have an affect on individual people how does it have an effect on the population?
>>
>>36806643
Cramps are indicative of low potassium, not low sodium.

I eat under 2g a day, and lift more than you, and never cramp up.

>being so unhealthy you think your body needs 5 grams of salt just to preform motor tasks
>>
>>36806658
That just proves seat belts effective for safety on an individual level...
>>
>>36806658

>In this case, the reduction in blood pressure from salt reduction is very minor (2-4 mmHg

Where's that from?

>Okay. Let's say you are driving somewhere and don't wear your seatbelt. Mostly likely nothing will happen because you are unlikely to get into a wreck.
>HOWEVER, if everyone wears a seat belt, then many lives will be saved.

That's something completely different. That's all-or-nothing, not deaths attributable to something measurable and treatable before the fact that cause health problems over time.
>>
>>36806672
It only has an effect on a small number of people. It's equivalent to buying a lottery ticket because someone is going to win the lottery. That's true but it won't be you.
>>
>>36806715
I think it is more like selling lottery tickets, because a lot of the population will purchase them
>>
>>36806715

> It's equivalent to buying a lottery ticket because someone is going to win the lottery

It would only be even kind of equivalent if the lottery was something everybody won on a miniature scale. Everyone has a blood pressure to keep in check.
>>
>>36806687
>I eat under 2g a day, and lift more than you, and never cramp up.

Okay, Mr. Vegan. Don't you have some more vegancucks.org links to post?
>>
>>36806759
I eat meat because I am educated in nutrition.

By that same token, I don't pull a blaha and pretend to know more about nutrition than the world health organization.

Also vegans don't even lift, so I don't know how you assumed retardation (read: veganism) when I clearly said I lift more than you.
>>
>>36806836
Also I never posted any links... Believe it or not, more than one person on 4chan disagrees with you
>>
>>36806707

Only on scale, which is what I said the entire time. If you take a routine trip to the supermarket, how many injuries are prevented by wearing a seatbelt? Most people don't die in car wrecks often, so wearing a seatbelt for an individual may not provide them any personal benefit, while providing benefit for the population.

>>36806714

>Where's that from?

Take your pick of journals: AHA, BMJ, NEJM. The average reduction in meta-analysis is about 4mmHg systolic.

>That's something completely different. That's all-or-nothing, not deaths attributable to something measurable and treatable before the fact that cause health problems over time.

This is the whole thing with demography. We have large pools of information about cardiac mortality and blood pressures for huge populations. Reducing blood pressure by 4mmHg might change the risk of a cardiac event by 1% for instance. This is just an example. If you have 100 individuals who reduce their salt intake, then perhaps 1 of them would benefit from the dietary intervention in a manner which saves their lives. The other 99 will have the same mortality whether or not they passed the salt. In a country of 320 million people, the lives saved would number in the thousands.
>>
>>36803576
so its Potassium salt instead of Sodium salt?
>>
>>36806864
Seat belts only help the individual.

Many times over.

We call that a population.

I admire your verbose semantics, and nigh unbelievable pedantry...

But seat belts literally only help individuals
>>
>>36805283
Glucose can be synthesized from fatty acids or protein as well. The only two amino acids which are not glucogenic (cannot be converted to glucose through metabolites) are lysine and leucine. All other 18 amino acids can be converted to glucogenic metabolites through various complex metabolic reactions. As for fatty acids, they can be converted to acetyl coA, an essential molecule for driving all energy production in humans via the TCA cycle. Gluconeogenesis, the process you searched up, refers to synthesizing glucose from metabolites from the TCA. The final product, oxaloacetate, is coverted to pyruvate and further synthesized into glucose, using a multitude of other substrates and enzymes.
>>
>This fucking thread

OP sounds like a cocky piece of shit that needs his shit slapped, hard
>>
>>36806321
Cool, since that's completely not what I was arguing against lol. Reading comprehension brah
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.